Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DashingRainbow36

I am thinking about getting into martial arts. I need some focus and discipline in my life and I was thinking this would help. Anypony into this kind of stuff, or is actually training in this?

I am really interested in Tai Chi btw, if that helps narrow it down.

I want something that can give me some balance with my mind, body, and soul. (soul being somewhat of a metaphor here)

Halp!!

:)

And if there is a thread like this, could a mod kindly redirect me there? I was too lazy to look. :o

All forms of Martial Arts can give you that if you truly discipline yourself :)

Not many styles have the "Calming" appearance like Tai-Chi does

I personally do: Boxing-TaeKwonDo(Awesome since I'm a Tekken fan) and Brazilian Jui Jitsu

Martial arts is a great medium for displine.

I'm going to start mixed martial arts this year, considering I haven't found anyone around these parts that train ninjutsu, which is the ideal art I wished to learn.

If you want very rigid focus and discipline then you should take up kyokushin, it's very rough and physical, or even a type of shao-lin. For more relaxing martial arts then yes Tai-Chi is nice.

i used to learn kind of martial arts for 5 years

the best 2 martial arts for you would be tai-chi, and ai-ki-do (its good against harmed people and stuff)

All forms of Martial Arts can give you that if you truly discipline yourself :)

Not many styles have the "Calming" appearance like Tai-Chi does

I personally do: Boxing-TaeKwonDo(Awesome since I'm a Tekken fan) and Brazilian Jui Jitsu

Martial arts is a great medium for displine.

I'm going to start mixed martial arts this year, considering I haven't found anyone around these parts that train ninjutsu, which is the ideal art I wished to learn.

If you want very rigid focus and discipline then you should take up kyokushin, it's very rough and physical, or even a type of shao-lin. For more relaxing martial arts then yes Tai-Chi is nice.

i used to learn kind of martial arts for 5 years

the best 2 martial arts for you would be tai-chi, and ai-ki-do (its good against harmed people and stuff)

How was the training for you guys. (besides the guy getting into it)?

I really need disipline, and like you said any art would give me that. I just feel I am lacking guidance.

i had a free treditional weapon using+freestyle martial arts (especially kong-fu) and survival, all at once ._.

i cant be a good refrance for how learning martial arts, but i can tell its fun and relaxing

I myself find that Muay Thai is a strenuous, and invigorating art. I do not practice it as strictly as I'd like to, but when I do practice it, I love using the 8 Points (Fists, elbows, knees, feet) 8 is a magic number for me, It's my birthday (8/8) and number of letters in my first name (Maverick)

I have taken to learning some Sword arts (Of course These wont be too useful) but it's good to learn to make an alien object (like a piece of metal) one with your body, and thinking of it as an extension of your arm, Fencing is rather fun, it teaches discipline, and grace. I took Fencing when I was about 7, now a days I try to learn some more Forward European Sword movements (used for Greatswords, or Claymores)

I will probably never be as disciplined as I'd like in any form, but I like to pick up new things from time to time

Discipline ad guidance? Oho -- so you want to become a Shaolin monk! Honestly, the only official martial art I've trained in is Karate, but we all know how that ends up. Pfft, stance-based methods are no good for a man who wishes to be swift like-a fox and hard-hitting like-an ox!

I've been looking into boxing a lot lately, though that might not teach you discipline or guidance... It will make you a badass, though. If you really want discipline, it's something you must do yourself. Willpower, laddie. Start the day with a Big 12 and you'll be ready for many a challenge! (A Big 12 is doing twelve push-ups, twelve sit-ups. Then, eleven push-ups, eleven sit-ups. Then, ten push-ups, ten sit-ups. You get the rest.)

It'll get you to a point where you're able to be serious about the art of your choice, I promise! I just shadow-box and occasionally work out.

If nothing else works, just do yoga. Lol. Yoga.

How was the training for you guys. (besides the guy getting into it)?

I really need disipline, and like you said any art would give me that. I just feel I am lacking guidance.

TRUST ME It is no easy task..Especially when you're new..When I first started I was exhausted 10 minutes into the class and pushed myself to not give up for the remaining 50 minutes.I only stayed because I loved the thrill of beating people that are MUCH higher ranked than me :) It does kinda get boring after a while if you don't spar/Tournament often but that's just me

I'm not a martial artist myself, but my brother was in New York's Kyokushin Karate championships in 2003. He placed in 2nd place, but when he came back home he didn't look so good. Anyway my cousins took me to a Tae Kwon Do class at my visit to Korea, it's pretty hard to remember the movements. It also problaby takes years to master.
  • Brohoof 1

For a short period of time I whent to do, Tang-su-do A Korean martial art, Unfortunately to continue past 2nd belt you have to pay a hefty amount of money. As much fun as it was i did not have £1000 to spare. Thus ending my Ninja training.

You should give Tae Kwon Do a try. I did it for 4 years, and did a few tournaments. Anyway, I think it would be good for discipline and concentration. But really, you can't go wrong with any kind of martial art for learning discipline.

i took a few years of karate when i was a kid then went and joined up for MMA and participated in ring wars and some fight clubs. it helped discipline me i guess, but i mainly used it as a stress reliever.