Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Happened to Disney?

irobern2857

What ever happened to the good Disney movies like the ones that most of us grew up with. Lion King, Mulan, Hercules.

they used to be really good and really original. they had good plots, good music, and they were funny and sad in the right times. and in the end they had a good message about social and personal problems.

yes there are some new movies that are ok like Toy Story three but even if they have a different plot to it you cant call them original because they are squeals. just whant to see what others think.

Edited by irobern2857

Ok first, most Disney movies are copies of folk tales and other such stories so they aren't really "original" second, Disney is a company and without Walt there to really drive it, it's inevitably going to degrade. I think recently the princess and the frog movie they did was pretty good. You'll find that as companies get bigger, their quality usually drops as things become less and less personal.

• Brohoof 12

Disney's become more corporate and less about values. Their focus isn't on the same wholesome and familiar aspects that they used to incorporate into their movies. Instead, it's shifted to "popular social relevance" and anything else they think will make a little extra money. Instead of appealing to families like they used to, they seem to be more focused on pre-teens for some reason, getting rid of just about any trace of the old Disney that people have come to know and love, then plugging in a lot of pop trash and redundant tv shows to fill the void. You'd be hard-pressed to find an animated Disney movie that isn't a sequel of one from their better days, and everything's going live-action.

I think it's safe to say the old Disney is dead.

• Brohoof 4

Mary Poppins, that's an old Disney film I like regardless of what Disney is. But yeah, Disney has been on a downturn for awhile, I never liked the cheap straight to home video sequels they made, didn't feel right..

And I would rather say Toy Story is a Pixar film, even though Disney owns it.

Edited by DeltaTangent
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah i think Toy Story is the only good Disney movie nowadays.

you are aware that there are other Disney/Pixar movies that are just as good as Toy story right? just sayin'.

Disney seems to be making more and more CG-i films (Wreck it Ralph, Tangled, Bolt, etc.) instead of the hand-drawn animated movies we all love. Why are they using CG-i now? Isn't that what Pixar is for?

you are aware that there are other Disney/Pixar movies that are just as good as Toy story right? just sayin'.

Yes basically anything Pixar made that isn't Cars 2 is fantastic.

I can only hope Monster Academy is as good as the rest of their movies.

Disney seems to be making more and more CG-i films (Wreck it Ralph, Tangled, Bolt, etc.) instead of the hand-drawn animated movies we all love. Why are they using CG-i now? Isn't that what Pixar is for?

Yeah I guess but Bolt wasn't worthy of being a Pixar movie. Can't say anything about Tangled though because I haven't seen it. Edited by Ponymon Trainer Red
  • Brohoof 1

Not only Disney, but lots of other good ol' franchises have already lost a lot of fans during the last years. Pokémon is a great example.

It's sad but safe to say that creativity and originality of one is not infinite. Even if people get inspired by the work of anothers intending to continue a stable legacy, it will never be the same. Plus, sad truth is that society calls it "copy" instead of "inspiration".

That said though, I still like both Disney and Pixar movies (even though I still haven't watched the most recent ones), but that's just a matter of opinion.

Edited by DrizzleSTAR
  • Brohoof 2

Have you guys even SEEN the stuff they've been putting out recently? There was that AMAZING Winnie The Pooh reboot, Tangled was pretty damn awesome, Bolt was quite good as well, and on top of that their TV cartoons are getting really good too. (Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb, Fish Hooks, Kick Buttowski, Motorcity, etc.)

Can I just say, I went to Disney land Florida last week and is was AWESOME.

They also have some pretty good films in the works soon like the monsters inc prequel which I'm looking forward to :)

Disney of late feels like its closing off some of its old and successful films (pirates of the Caribbean ect) so I'm hoping for some new good stuff coming out of them in the next year or so :)

Yeah I guess but Bolt wasn't worthy of being a Pixar movie. Can't say anything about Tangled though because I haven't seen it.

I'm not saying those movies should have been made by Pixar. I'm saying that they should not have been CG-i animated.

Have you guys even SEEN the stuff they've been putting out recently? There was that AMAZING Winnie The Pooh reboot, Tangled was pretty damn awesome, Bolt was quite good as well, and on top of that their TV cartoons are getting really good too. (Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb, Fish Hooks, Kick Buttowski, Motorcity, etc.)

Kick button ski and phineas and ferb are pretty good I have to admit, but some of there other stuff in the UK I dislike (pair of kings ect) but my younger brother loves it so they are doing a good job with cartoons I guess ATM :)

TV cartoons are getting really good too. (Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb, Fish Hooks, Kick Buttowski, Motorcity, etc.)

I will agree that Phineas and Ferb is an amazing show but the others seem a little lacking to me IDK why

I miss when Disney movies still had amazing music like "The Circle of Life". from Lion King. I think Brother Bear is the last Disney movie I remember to have a good soundtrack.

Edited by Shoboni

I think it had something to do with the changing culture among their target audience. They are a business, so they can't risk a loss of profit. I mean, look at what else kids like, then look at what Disney makes now.

In other words: Blame the audience, not the company.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think it's Disney/Pixar slowly going down the drain. I think it's our expectations rising far beyond what we had when we were younger, and then, we remember certain movies as "awesome" (like Toy Story) and we remain biased towards all other, new movies. We all do it. "Oh, man, that one music artist, _____, was the best ever!" We rarely go back on our own opinions. Also, even if our opinions do change, and we expect more from movies, like I said, watching the older movies brings in nostalgia, another factor that makes us biased.

I, for one, think that Tangled, Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 were absolutely amazing.

• Brohoof 3

Also, John Lasseter (co-founder of Pixar) is now a creative director for all of Disney's movies, which is why all of their shitty direct-to-video sequels have stopped happening and the quality of their movies has become a lot better.

I don't think it's Disney/Pixar slowly going down the drain. I think it's our expectations rising far beyond what we had when we were younger, and then, we remember certain movies as "awesome" (like Toy Story) and we remain biased towards all other, new movies.

That maybe part correct but i still will sit down and watch a few of the old ones from time to time and the still seem good to me. in fact some are better because i get the inside jokes that were meant for the adults. And some new movies are good wall-e was good, but most don't cater to the older people like they used too. aside from MLP i cant think of many kids shows/movies that have parts geared to older people.

Well the old movies were trully original, and I don't think hardly anything can compare to them (coughcoughMLPcoughcough)

However that doesn't stop the new movies from being good, maybe not as good, but pretty entertaining....

Am I the only one that like The Princess And The Frog? The music was pretty good and it seemed like a classic Disney movie.

It was alright. Colorful and somewhat nifty, but not up to the legacy.