Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How dark do you think this show has got so far, and can or will get?

Magic Man

The show does hint that it will be darker, but the writers are clever. They will find a way to do so while keeping the appeal for kids high.

(The season 3 pics sure show it getting worse)

Tara Strong herself said that this season will freak us out far more than normal. Especially one particular episode she will not name.

I predict that the entire season will be in the same style as the Canterlot Wedding: Beautiful and bright on the outside, but riddled with a dark story in the background for us bronies to follow.

• Brohoof 2

Lol Courage the Cowardly Dog XD

I don't think this show can get that dark.

I don't want it to get dark, I want it to stay happy, fun, and all that other coloerful stuff.

That's the main reason why I watch it.

How happy and colorful the show is.

Canterlot Wedding wasn't all that dark, it was epic.

They wanted MLP to be more adventurous.

It was.

I totally agree with this. It was not dark, it was epic. Sure, the hellfire was a little much but in the end, it wasn't scary or anything. It was an interesting play on a classic wedding cliche (see ma ryhme?).
  • Brohoof 2

I totally agree with this. It was not dark, it was epic. Sure, the hellfire was a little much but in the end, it wasn't scary or anything. It was an interesting play on a classic wedding cliche (see ma ryhme?).

Eeyup. I see the rhyme XD

Let's all not forget this is a kids show and that the writers should'nt try to hard to satisfy us.

• Brohoof 1

The show does hint that it will be darker, but the writers are clever. They will find a way to do so while keeping the appeal for kids high.

Tara Strong herself said that this season will freak us out far more than normal. Especially one particular episode she will not name.

I predict that the entire season will be in the same style as the Canterlot Wedding: Beautiful and bright on the outside, but riddled with a dark story in the background for us bronies to follow.

When and where did Tara Strong say that? Can you give me a link to it?

Also, that is a reasonable prediction. Perhaps Canterlot Wedding was a taster of what is to come in the future.

Tara really said that? I wanna see, cuz if it's true, I will be PSYCHED! That will be so cool to see darker episodes.

I think MLP's darkest moments thus far like that of the Canterlot Wedding eps are in essence the darkness cap. In comparison to the majority of shows in a similar intended audience, FiM goes beyond typical boundaries but not in a way that isn't kid friendly. Similar levels to Canterlot Wedding I'm sure of happening but nothing much more.

For the most part I don't think it's gotten worse than Disney dark. We've had some pretty evil villains but it's alway's been more like a epic battle between good and evil than anything to depressing.

I'm crossing my fingers that those screenshots are less depressing in context. Like a nightmare sequence or something.

The darkest part so far was the end of the first part of Canterlot Wedding, where Chrysalis summoned those green flames to take Twilight away. It's not going to get much darker than that scene went.

You have to look at it from a child's perspective. Getting enveloped in flames is a lot darker than someone talking to their inanimate friends. Party of One gets resolved quite easily, where as the Canterlot cliffhanger could give children nightmares.

Tara really said that? I wanna see, cuz if it's true, I will be PSYCHED! That will be so cool to see darker episodes.

When and where did Tara Strong say that? Can you give me a link to it?

Also, that is a reasonable prediction. Perhaps Canterlot Wedding was a taster of what is to come in the future.

That was actually a while back. I don't remember exactly where she said it... I believe it was at a convention a few months ago. I believe these were her words:

Tara: "Season 3 will be amazing! Especially this one episode which will make you freak out..."

Random Brony: "But don't we freak out over every episode?"

Tara: *laughs* "Yeah, but I mean more than normal. You're all going to go over the top crazy over this."

So yeah, I expect nothing less than amazing.

That was actually a while back. I don't remember exactly where she said it... I believe it was at a convention a few months ago. I believe these were her words:

Tara: "Season 3 will be amazing! Especially this one episode which will make you freak out..."

Random Brony: "But don't we freak out over every episode?"

Tara: *laughs* "Yeah, but I mean more than normal. You're all going to go over the top crazy over this."

So yeah, I expect nothing less than amazing.

OH, I actually think I remember hearing that in one of the interviews I watched of her and some other guy.

The only dark moments that I remember were when Twilight gets sucked down to hell by Chrysalis and when Fluttershy breaks an innocent bear's neck... I may have exaggerated in the descriptions, but that's how I saw them.

Well, I don't think they will add darker scenes than that. I mean, it IS a kid's show after all. But there's a possibility, if they run out of ideas suddenly, who knows. I would totally approve if they added more fight scenes like the one in Canterlot Wedding Part 2, or if they had more ponies to go crazy like Pinkie and Twilight did.

Oh I wouldn't mind have some darker episodes now and then, but I don't think the show as a whole should get darker. I watch MLP for the ponies and rainbows (well not really, but you get the point), and if I wanted to watch something dark, I'd watch a 90s cartoon, or better yet, a movie.

~~

Twilight has the best freakouts. Lesson Zero and It's About Time are two of my favorite episodes of the show so far. Over obsessive Twilight is best Twilight.

judging by the three supposed pictures

rarity left many of her outfits and mannequins behind, almost like she left in a panicked hurry(or because they were for now possibly expired clients)

the dead trees and plants outside of both the boutique and Applejacks barn hint at a possible slow corruption over Equestria starting with plants , and of course the reappearance of Trixie with an odd necklace(possibly a uniform piece from the new villain) with these images in mind it makes me wonder if a consistent ep to ep story arc is the cause for the rumored shortened season

but from what I've read, if the show is, or might be slowly getting darker over time, then that means the wild ride that is season 3 may have just gotten wilder

• Brohoof 1

judging by the three supposed pictures

rarity left many of her outfits and mannequins behind, almost like she left in a panicked hurry(or because they were for now possibly expired clients)

the dead trees and plants outside of both the boutique and Applejacks barn hint at a possible slow corruption over Equestria starting with plants , and of course the reappearance of Trixie with an odd necklace(possibly a uniform piece from the new villain) with these images in mind it makes me wonder if a consistent ep to ep story arc is the cause for the rumored shortened season

but from what I've read, if the show is, or might be slowly getting darker over time, then that means the wild ride that is season 3 may have just gotten wilder

I pray to God not. But I'll ride it out, as far as know it will all end with the most joyful victory we've ever seen akin to "going to through hell to reach heaven".

I think S1 E2 was probably the darkest episode, which isn't saying all that much. It's not likely to get any darker than that, though.

Lol, Invader Zim is something that can never be replicated with it's awesomeness. It had such 90's humor that I couldn't stop laughing at.

Very true. Just yesterday I was talking to some Eve friends on Mumble, and we watched A Room with a Moose. It was just too perfect: we were researching many different wormholes, with many possible outcomes. We agreed that we simply had to create a Moose (probably just rename one of our Dreadnoughts), so that Eve would actually have a wormhole that led to a room with a moose.

I kinda like it when shows slightly step out of their normal boundaries, and make it a tad darker (Like A Canterlot Wedding) I don't think the show will go too far with being dark since there IS still a demographic out there. I think a Canterlot Wedding would be the darkest we see for a while.

It's aimed at little girls, and that premise is backed up by promises of growth made by Hasbro to investors. Just because bronies have become a reliable fan-base does not mean they will recreate any sort of grimdark fascination/fantasy.

The showmakers don't need to (and don't want to) explore complex issues that are oftentimes above the level of children, even if most children could (or even if some already have) experience things like death, divorce, and intimate relationships.

It deals with the inner-drama of children such as the opinions of other kids on the playground, the questions that arise between brothers and sisters, or getting a haircut.

It is stupid to suppose that it should intricate itself beyond that.

This. Although I'd be calling it silly rather than stupid to figure it should go beyond that. It's delightful that we're acknowledged as a "reliable" and legitimate fanbase, but gearing the show more specifically toward us, or at least in such ways as turning toward "darker" themes, would lose sight of the original and possibly larger (or more profitable) target audience, and likely lose a significant part of its original charm.

So... It's not all that dark as a show and it shouldn't be.

• Brohoof 1

Posted Image

this you mean? Definitely creepy. Seriously, I can't think of any other episode that matches up with Party of One.

Party of one reminds me of cupcakes for some reason...her going insane and all that...the straight hair...it just creeps me out. I like dark an creepy stuff anyway :P