Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DJ Pony

F2R_faris

Oooh, learning about electronic music?

I'd like to make some sometime.

What kind of software is best? Where do you learn about song structure and composition? How do you get sounds and samples when you don't have a synthesiser or a decent microphone?

I actually have a friend that works on creating music he is a starter dj hi creates dubsteb,house with fl studio but he isnt a brony and he isnt to good at english... i could ask him for some of his creations if you want...

I could probably help with some things, as I write electronic music as a hobby. (If I can, I'd like to go professional - but that takes more experience :P)

I own both FL Studio 10 Ultimate Suite and Adobe Audition, although I don't have the room on my computer for Audition :(

Anyhow, I'd love to help you toy around with some music; what exactly do you want to know? Is there something specifically on your mind, or do you just want a general overview?

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 1

Ableton Live is my poison :) a great bit of professional kit (but a bit expensive!), with vast universe of extra external VSTs (synths) you can add ... Some truely awesome! I recommend:

Sylenth

Omnisphere (this one alone is about 40Gb! Lol!)

Vanguard

Synth1 (aweful name but actually quite a good synth!)

YM Synth (Atari / C64 chip emu)

Of course you can hook it up to any external midi controllers you like and it is perfect for almost any type of music, including dubstep (there are some great blogs out there specifically for learning to produce dubstep style and I think the first step will be to understand how you can get the full range of sounds you nee.

i've been using it for years, but my lack of patience and attention span mean I still suck at it lol At some point I will get around to mixing something Pony related. That Rarity song: "Art of the Dress" was quite catchy, wouldn't mind having a stab at it, though probably not dubstep.

Looks like FL studio is popular...

And available on Flim-Flam-azon for the low, low price of £86.68

I guess there might be a demo of sorts available, but the internet seems like kind of a wild west, I wouldn't know what sites I could trust to download from.

I guess there might be a demo of sorts available, but the internet seems like kind of a wild west, I wouldn't know what sites I could trust to download from.

Wait! If you're going to buy FL, make sure to get the right version. The versions are as follows:

Express: $49 (<--DON'T get this one.)

Fruity: $99

Producer: $199

Signature Bundle: $299

DO NOT GET THE EXPRESS EDITION. While I'm sure it's still a good program, it doesn't include some of the basic features that make FL Studio a great DAW program, such as the classic Piano Roll (a very basic tool for writing music progressions.)

The reason why everyone likes FL Studio is for it's free lifetime upgrades. If you bought something like Cubase 6, you'd have to pay $600-700 for version 6, and then another $600-700 when version 7 comes out. With FL Studio, you pay your $49-$299 upfront, and get all future versions for free. (E.g.: if you buy the Producer Edition of FL Studio 10 right now, then you'll get the Producer Edition of FL Studio 11 free, and the Producer Edition FL Studio 12 free, and so on.)

Edited by CloudFyre

My friend gi

Ableton Live is my poison :) a great bit of professional kit (but a bit expensive!), with vast universe of extra external VSTs (synths) you can add ... Some truely awesome! I recommend:

Sylenth

Omnisphere (this one alone is about 40Gb! Lol!)

Vanguard

Synth1 (aweful name but actually quite a good synth!)

YM Synth (Atari / C64 chip emu)

Of course you can hook it up to any external midi controllers you like and it is perfect for almost any type of music, including dubstep (there are some great blogs out there specifically for learning to produce dubstep style and I think the first step will be to understand how you can get the full range of sounds you nee.

i've been using it for years, but my lack of patience and attention span mean I still suck at it lol At some point I will get around to mixing something Pony related. That Rarity song: "Art of the Dress" was quite catchy, wouldn't mind having a stab at it, though probably not dubstep.

Can you give me the [link] of the music that you produce ? :) I'm noob dj ever . I dont want to listen to my music that i create all night long. hahaha :lol:

I actually have a friend that works on creating music he is a starter dj hi creates dubsteb,house with fl studio but he isnt a brony and he isnt to good at english... i could ask him for some of his creations if you want...

wow friends that creating music yes ,I want . :) if he got youtube account maybe you can give me his youtube link. or any link stuff. please .

I could probably help with some things, as I write electronic music as a hobby. (If I can, I'd like to go professional - but that takes more experience :P)

I own both FL Studio 10 Ultimate Suite and Adobe Audition, although I don't have the room on my computer for Audition :(

Anyhow, I'd love to help you toy around with some music; what exactly do you want to know? Is there something specifically on your mind, or do you just want a general overview?

ummmm im pretty awful because i just have fl studio 7 that demo version ,tommorow my friend will give me the producer mode . Benny Benassi is inspiring me to be a Music Producer. :P

hmmm you wanna try to be a Music Producer right? my friend is using torrent [illegal] for download that stuff. But I dont know how to use the torrent file yet.

Interesting info about FL and Cubase guys!

As cool as it is, what if I were completely new to production, and needed something I don't have to spend much money on in case I decide the hobby's not what it's cracked up to be?

Also are there forums where I can post uncompleted tracks when I'm stuck on how to continue or polish them? 'cos I used to play with a sequencer available as WiiWare, and have quite a few songs on it which are cool, but are only about 1 min 46 secs long 'cos of running out of ideas.

PS Has anyone worked out how to use Audiotool? I can use the time line to sequence samples, but I wouldn't know where to start to make my own on it.

Edited by Copper Loosebrain

hmmm you wanna try to be a Music Producer right? my friend is using torrent [illegal] for download that stuff. But I dont know how to use the torrent file yet.

As appealing as torrents may seem, you'd be better off avoiding them. If you feel that you have to get one, then I would avoid posting any music made in the program. In the music industry (and any other industry really), using pirated software is a pretty serious issue.

Interesting info about FL and Cubase guys!

As cool as it is, what if I were completely new to production, and needed something I don't have to spend much money on in case I decide the hobby's not what it's cracked up to be?

Also are there forums where I can post uncompleted tracks when I'm stuck on how to continue or polish them? 'cos I used to play with a sequencer available as WiiWare, and have quite a few songs on it which are cool, but are only about 1 min 46 secs long 'cos of running out of ideas.

The only real way to see is to download the trial versions. FL Studio is the cheapest music DAW to my knowledge, so you're not really going to find something much cheaper than that.

As for uncompleted songs, there are plenty of different music forums across the web (I'm not part of any of them), but I think you can also post stuff in the "Octavia's Hall" section of these forums.

As appealing as torrents may seem, you'd be better off avoiding them. If you feel that you have to get one, then I would avoid posting any music made in the program. In the music industry (and any other industry really), using pirated software is a pretty serious issue.

I just use that for a time before I become serious Music Producer ,I am 14 th years old and my parents doesn't let me to buy to buy something via Visa until I'm 16 th years old .

for a time I'm using Virtual DJ for remixing some stuff.

Can you give me the [link] of the music that you produce ? I'm noob dj ever . I dont want to listen to my music that i create all night long. hahaha

Well ... I should say I'm no expert at all, just dabble now and again :) I had a go at that "Art of the Dress" Remix I mentioned a couple of posts back which you can listen to here. Edited by CyberFlash
  • Brohoof 1

Wordy things about FL

Wordy things about Ableton.

I've taken a moderate interest in creating music, mainly i want to try and produce some brony music, as such it means i should be learning about techno/dubstep type music as that is what most of the good remixes seem to use.

I've used FL studio trial a little and don't understand anything about it, i've been using ableton live 8 trial for about a day and have a slight idea how it works, but not that great of one.

It seems to me that potential wise, both of these DAWs are on par, but i am siding more towards ableton.

Unfortunately i cant seem to find a beginners guide to either of these DAWs that i can use which doesnt require me to drop some cash, i have no problems with spending a fair amount on hardware/software to do this, but i cant justify spending it until i know what im doing, so i ask, do either of you know of tutorials/guides for your receptive DAWs of choice that i could use on the trial versions to learn how to use the software and produce something that resembles music?

Also, while i am leaning more towards using Ableton (purely based on preferring its layout as it seems MUCH more user friendly), it would also seem (from the tutorials i have found) that Ableton seems to be better suited to people who use hardware to help with the production of their music, whereas FL seems to be fine with just using good old keyboard and mouse and using loops, although it does seem that everything that i could want to use to tweak the sound costs like 100 quid each :/

Sidenote - I am not willing to pirate anything at all, never have pirated anything (besides like 10 songs when i was younger), never will.

TL;DR -

What DAW should i be using.

Want a guide that works for the trial versions

Want to be a cheapskate who doesn't plan on buying hardware/additional software(synths) unless i really have to :P

TL;DR -

What DAW should i be using.

Want a guide that works for the trial versions

Want

to be a cheapskate who doesn't plan on buying hardware/additional software(synths) unless i really have to :P

The choice is ultimately yours to make - both are great programs. I like FL because all of the upgrades to future editions are free, and the starting costs are about half as much as the other programs on the market.

It's unfortunate to say, but you won't find an "official" guide anywhere, save the technical walkthroughs that are more of the "hows" and less of the "why you would ever do that". It's better to look around for YouTube tutorials and other user-created guides. (Those guides will work for trial versions as well.) If you should ever get FL Studio, I can help guide you through some of the basic ins and outs of the program/music synthesis in general.

And although you call yourself a cheapskate now (I did when I first started), I have a feeling that the allure of more powerful synths will take hold in 6 months, once you really get into the music-creation mindset. :P Luckily for you, there are plenty of decent, free synths that people give out for free on the internet, and all you have to do is search for them. FL Studio uses .vst synths, and I know for a fact that you can find a massive database of free synths on websites such as KVR Audio.

I hope this helps!

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 1

The choice is ultimately yours to make - both are great programs. I like FL because all of the upgrades to future editions are free, and the starting costs are about half as much as the other programs on the market. It's unfortunate to say, but you won't find an "official" guide anywhere, save the technical walkthroughs that are more of the "hows" and less of the "why you would ever do that". It's better to look around for YouTube tutorials and other user-created guides. (Those guides will work for trial versions as well.) If you should ever get FL Studio, I can help guide you through some of the basic ins and outs of the program/music synthesis in general. And although you call yourself a cheapskate now (I did when I first started), I have a feeling that the allure of more powerful synths will take hold in 6 months, once you really get into the music-creation mindset. :P Luckily for you, there are plenty of decent, free synths that people give out for free on the internet, and all you have to do is search for them. FL Studio uses .vst synths, and I know for a fact that you can find a massive database of free synths on websites such as KVR Audio. I hope this helps!

How is it you managed to learn how to use FL studio? and is there any beginners guides/tutorials (preferably not video, but video is fine) that you would recommend?

For now i am being cheap about this, but if i can learn FL studio and produce atleast 1 half decent song before 2013, i will be buying FL studio (i'll have a £400 budget that i planned to buy another iPad with), In your opinion, which would i be best off buying if i do end up buying it? Fruity edition or Producer edition?

How is it you managed to learn how to use FL studio? and is there any beginners guides/tutorials (preferably not video, but video is fine) that you would recommend?

For now i am being cheap about this, but if i can learn FL studio and produce atleast 1 half decent song before 2013, i will be buying FL studio (i'll have a £400 budget that i planned to buy another iPad with), In your opinion, which would i be best off buying if i do end up buying it? Fruity edition or Producer edition?

Haha, I did exactly what I described - I watched YouTube videos. Lots and lots of them. I looked up guides and I skimmed information from some of the better known musical minds on the web, and over time I gained a working knowledge of how FL Studio processes music.

At the very beginning, I was pretty much illiterate to musical terms. I couldn't have told you what panning effects were, or what the words "tremolo", "cutoff", or "hertz" meant in terms of production. Luckily I had just picked up guitar lessons from the former lead guitarist of the band Kutless, and over time I would ask him what certain terms meant and what other effects would do to my music. Eventually we reached a stage where I wasn't even working on guitar skills, but to my delight (and to my mom's great annoyance) I found myself spending the entire time chatting with him about musical terminology and such.

As for the version, I started with Producer, and later spent another $110 and upgraded to the most expensive version they had. I will say this to be certain: do NOT get the Express Edition. Ever. It's not nearly as functional as it should be.

The differences between Fruity and Producer do not mainly lie in their included plugins, but rather in what kind of audio support they include.

Fruity Edition DOES NOT:

• Allow for recording external audio with ASIO (a computer audio driver, e.g.: recording an electric guitar live, recording your own voice, etc.)
  • Automate all envelope parts of the playlist.
  • Allow for Midi files in your playlist.
  • Allow for .wav file waveform display.
  • Include Edison waveform editor.
ASIO is a driver that allows you to record audio into FL Studio. This one should be pretty obvious.

Automation allows you to let the computer control precisely when something occurs. For example, you can tell it to gradually increase the volume of a specific instrument by 2% per second over the course of 8 seconds. So while you'll be able to automate some things, others will be locked.

Midi files are downloadable data files that allow you to drag-and-drop instruments on top of them, and instantly change what kind of instrument is playing those notes. While you probably won't use them at all at first, they're handy later if you want to download a pre-composed chord progression.

WAV files are the biggie. Most musicians (myself included) will buy/download what are known as "sample packs", or pre-recorded .wav files that you can manipulate into drumrolls, new instruments, etc. I personally have a 3GB folder of just trance drum samples, so that I can create highly complex drumrolls without needing to rely solely on the drum kits that FL Studio provides.

Edison is something that allows you to modify .wav files, and is useful for trimming excess silence, etc.

Okay, I got it all that time. XD

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 1

Check out some of these brony artists:

Omnipony

DJ Alex S.

ArtAttack

TheLivingTombstone

TuXe

These are just my favorites. They all make dubstep or some other electronic music genre, and I think you should check them out. :)

ME ME ME

I do EDM and Dubstep :D

well primarily dubstep, edm (electronic dance music) not as much

I also remaster vocals

And I use FL Studio, people think I just ableton live, but I actually use FL Studio.

I can teach many things, compression -> wobble basses -> melodies -> synthesis -> sampling -> remastering vocals, and many more :P

btw, if you have a midi controller (or midi keyboard) hook it up to your computer, and use it in fl studio like me.

and if you need any samples contact me since I have alot of links to free samples I can send you.

Now for getting sample packs, AVOID THESE WEBSITES:

www.class4beats.com < I tried their Dubstep Sample Pack and Big Beats Collection Kit, horrible quality. Save your money and dont buy their sample packs please.

www.beatsmi.com < They illegally re-distribute samples from hip hop songs and paid sample packs

Now for getting good sample packs, you can use websites like:

MusicRadar, they offer mainly FREE loops and samples that can help you

KB6, they have 100% free sample packs, and their really great. Especially the 808 samples

To start off getting samples, google up these things and download them:

Vybe Kit

Drumma Boy Sample Pack

Music Radar Drum Samples (careful, 800 MB download)

Music Radar Dubstep Samples (250 MB, exceptional loops and chord stab samples, well i cant say that about their kick and snare samples)

Now for synthesizers, do not use FL Studios 3xOsc, its only good for basslines and its a very weak synth.

I recommend VSTi's like these:

Synth1, its the most powerful and best free additive vst synth

Nexus, it cost money, but its worth it. Over 2 GB of high quality sounds and best of all, you dont make the sound from scratch :)

DSK SF2, soundfounts (.sf2 files) are important for some sounds in music production, dont waste money on Fruity Soundfount Player when DSK SF2 is free + it has more features. :D

TAL Elek7ro-II, its free subtracive synth, very good for wobble bass sounds

Massive, it cost money, but again its kinda worth it, its the best synthesizer ever made in history

TAL Bassline, its good for bass sounds, and their presets may help you.

and GTG_NR 2010, its old, but still, very warm analog additive synth.

Now when it comes to making music, you dont want your melodies to sound bad or else they will make a good drum beat sound bad.

So if you have a sound or melody that sounds bad, stop trying to make yourself think its good when you know its actually bad. Or else it will mess up your whole song.

And you dont want a bad sounding wobble bass for dubstep.

Good melody, good drum beats, bad wobble bass, it will make the melodies and drum beats sound off-tempo (out of sync) then makes the song sound bad during the wub wub wub part.

And for vocals, you dont wanna use that $8 mic you bought at the store, use a professional one since those block bg sounds and ive out 100% better quality than a $1 to $30 mic.

And when putting vocals to a song, equalize it and re-master it. Do nice stuff to it. Like compress it, equalize it, add a short echo. Or if the voice doesnt sound good, vocode it :) And change how it sounds like.

And now when it comes to making music, MOST IMPORTANT PART IS

YOU NEED GOOD SPEAKERS OR HEADPHONES!!!

IF YOUR SPEAKER OR HEADPHONES CANT DO BASS, DONT USE THEM FOR MUSIC PRODUCTION!!! IF THEIR LOW QUALITY, DONT USE THEM FOR MUSIC PRODUCTION!!!

and also, before finishing a song.

PLEASE, and I repeat, PLEASE limit it!

Reason why:

IF THE MASTER TRACKS METER GOES ABOVE 0 dB THE SOUND WILL DISTORT, YOU MIGHT NOT NOTICE IT IN FL STUDIO, BUT ONCE YOU MAKE IT INTO A WAV, MP3, OGG, ETC., YOU WILL NOTICE IT.

Now I dont have much time left in my hands so thats all I can try to fit into my free time.

And I hope you read it all instead of just reading the caps parts

Nexus, it cost money, but its worth it. Over 2 GB of high quality sounds and best of all, you dont make the sound from scratch :)

I love using Nexus too because my friend used it too. By the way ,what the most dubstep pack are people use? which the best dubstep producer.

-Skrillex

-Knife Party

-Bl3nd

Check out some of these brony artists:

Omnipony

DJ Alex S.

ArtAttack

TheLivingTombstone

TuXe

These are just my favorites. They all make dubstep or some other electronic music genre, and I think you should check them out. :)

hey try this mlp video first of daa years - skrillex

I love Dj Alex s music Ultimate Sweetie Belle and PMV is good brony artist too .which your best brony artist ?

I love using Nexus too because my friend used it too. By the way ,what the most dubstep pack are people use? which the best dubstep producer.

-Skrillex

-Knife Party

-Bl3nd

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXWgGw0-MjE

hey try this mlp video first of daa years - skrillex

I love Dj Alex s music Ultimate Sweetie Belle and PMV is good brony artist too .which your best brony artist ?

Most used dubstep sample packs, I think I just found it here -> http://dubsteptutor.com/5-must-have-dubstep-sample-packs/

Now I repeat again, dont get sample packs from Class4Beats or BeatsMi, I know who owns those websites, its PAVMusicProductions on youtube and this might show proof:

"lol dude are u just trying to take advantage of ppl who don't kno much if anything about music by gettin them to think u have knowledge and buying your tutorials and drum kits?? lol

twpoyt 2 months ago"

After reading that comment, I noticed. Every tutorial, he wants you to buy something off class4beats, I go on the website, it looked obviously he made BeatsMi and Class4Beats. Now yes I understand I can be wrong, but Im thinking what that person thought, hes trying to take advantage of people that do not know much in the music production area.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

If you're looking for inspiration, your friendly neighbourhood letterONE can inspire you!

I've been in the music production business since 2009. Though I've only been making original stuff since 2011, I hope you can learn from what I do.

Here's my best track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MszWkpCNmJA

It's of the drum'n'bass genre.

yeah thats cool :P and the piano is inspiring me .But why you stop music producing? :o  maybe  i need some story of your producing or dicography ..

yeah thats cool :P and the piano is inspiring me .But why you stop music producing? :o  maybe  i need some story of your producing or dicography ..

Stop? I've never stopped! Okay, I have had a few times where I gave up, but I've never officially given up. Maybe you misunderstood something I said. :P