Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why? That is the Question.

Soduh_Man

It ends and starts all escapades and can thwart the best of plans if they don't have a reason to them. So that is why I am here, why I started a topic here, to ask a simple question of why you watch the show, why you enjoy it, why is there this whole big community? Isn't it just a show for little girls about differently colored ponies? What point is there to it, that there's whole websites filled to the brim with stories and art work and all of the like? What I'm asking is, what's the point to watching this show, why do you take time out of your lives to do this? What makes it so important for all of you to watch it?

I believe this to be a serious question and I would like serious answers.

Edited by Soduh_Man

The reason I watch this show is because of Rarity.

I only really like Rarity.

She is amazing.

I mean, I like a few of the other characters, but the truth is she's the only character I really like XD

• Brohoof 3

The show. The vast and creative universe it presents. The great characterization and story ideas. The amazing mythology and in world history. The amazing character library. The great crew of animatiors, musicians, writers and voice actors.

Well, according to everything i've been able to piece together. We're actually very young souls here for the last time on earth. Because of the purity of the soul, we bronies are the most loving and tolerating fandom of all fandoms. Our mix of adult understanding of the world mixed with our inner child combine and create a level of joy and entertainment more and more are beginning to experience. Since we're more accepting of whom we are as we all understand the nature of love in our own way, we're for the most part cool with whomever each pony believes them to be. Being that the show is for little girls leads me to the conclusion that you live your ideals based on nothing but facts instead of emotion, which is the basis of understanding love. The point of websites filled to the brim with material of all sorts, is because like any fandom, we enjoy the show. But because of the love for talents from many talented bronies, the material increases in amount as more and more bronies begin using their talents to express their love and devotion for the show. People watch the show for their own personal reasons. The main one being the enjoyment of the show.

• Brohoof 5

-snip

But what is your purpose for watching the show, I'm not here to get lectured on why everyone else watches it, I'm looking for individual answers that don't revolve around simplistic answers that offer no insight as to why that is. Edited by Soduh_Man

It's something to do when I'm bored, and it gives me something simple to draw when I inevitably get bored again. Also people in this community and on this forum are, for the most part, pretty cool people who are generally pretty kind and accepting, and they create a lot of great fan-content to appease my boredom as well.

• Brohoof 1

I was wondering about the same thing when I started watching. What could possibly make this dull, boring kid's toy spinoff show so good that it's acquired this huge following?

Then I watched it, and something just fell into place, like "Ohhh, now I get it". The writing is great, it's funny at times: it's exciting when it needs to be, and not all of the plots are just recycled from other shows; the animation is beautiful(when it wants to be...), it's whimsical, the music is wonderful, it can appeal to people of all natures depending on what they like, or what they see in it. For me, that happens to be the basest of things- The plot, the style, the characters. It's just a likable show all-around, really.

But what is your purpose for watching the show, I'm not here to get lectured on why everyone else watches it, I'm looking for individual answers that don't revolve around simplistic answers that offer no insight as to why that is.

Oh sorry. Although I did answer the rest of the questions you had. I watch the show because I love seeing the merging of energy form as a result of love from various points in the universe wherever they may be. That probably doesn't make sense to you but, that's my answer. So since i answered your questions. Answer mine. What made you decide to come on to the board during a ddos attack? It's not that we wouldn't and aren't friendly, it's just seems like an unusual activity during this particular moment in time.

I really got drawn into the characterization. Having all these characters, several of whom acting as foils to one another, go throughout their days playing off of each other in interesting ways and watching their contrasting reactions to similar events. I also really like the animation and the general lighthearted feel and good message of the show, both things largely absent from my life beforehand. Also, there is a certain cyan aspiring wonderbolt that I've grown quite fond of ;)

My reason is very similar to snowfeather's, the humor is funny and some of it you don't see in most kid shows (mental insanity). The animation is very great (it's what got me interested in it) The voice acting is great as well, and the plot never seems to get old to me. But I was open minded when it came to watching it, people had to be liking it for a reason right? And the fandom is great, people are generally nice and full of creativity.

• Brohoof 1

For the same reason I watched Ed Edd n Eddy, Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Powerpuff Girls, and tons of other cartoons I don't feel like wasting time trying to remember. It makes me smile and laugh, and I really can't imagine anyone watching it for any other reason to be honest.

-snip

I'm sure it's great for a kid's show, I don't see Polly Pocket getting a huge fanbase all over the internet in just a couple of months. But if you look deep inside you, what's your favorite show? Is it this show? Or is it something else, and if it's something else, ask yourself this, how much time do you spend on this show and your favorite one? Is the time spent on this show greater? And then ask why, if you do spend more time on this show.

@Twilight Circuits

It's a follow up to the title of the topic, which is "Why? That is the question." Followed by "It ends and starts all escapades and can thwart the best of plans if they don't have a reason to them." It's giving justification for my being here and an introduction to my question. It's a rhetorical statement, not supposed to be explained, sort of like a metaphor I suppose.

Edited by Soduh_Man

I'm sure it's great for a kid's show, I don't see Polly Pocket getting a huge fanbase all over the internet in just a couple of months. But if you look deep inside you, what's your favorite show? Is it this show? Or is it something else, and if it's something else, ask yourself this, how much time do you spend on this show and your favorite one? Is the time spent on this show greater? And then ask why, if you do spend more time on this show.

Well, this is my favorite show, considering its the only show I watch! Not that I'm obessed, I just spend most of my free time on the computer now a days, the rest is divided into reenacting and ponies :). I don't spend much time on the show, I catched up to season 3 by watching an episode once or twice a week. But now I'll be watching them the night of the day they come out.

Well, at first of course I was pretty skeptical as well. But, surprisingly, this show wasn't as 'girly' or kiddie as I thought it would be. Once I started chuckling at some of the gags in the show, I knew I was hooked. :P

Am I embarrassed or do I regret being a brony? Not at all. I'm proud to watch the show, and I love watching the show. That show cheers me up, and the characters are all filled with their own little personality.....they bring life to the show! But mainly I watch the show because I love the stories, the characters, the music, the feeling....it all adds up to a wonderful pony-filled show. All other kiddie shows are just too cheesy, or too pink and flowery for everybody's taste. MLP changed that.

MLP in itself is just well-written, and once you've watched the first two episodes, your hooked. If you don't like the show still, continue watching the episodes. You'll be surprised! ;) For most people, MLP is a great show to watch that makes you happy. For some, it changed their lives. It all just depends on how YOU view it. We've become so big it evolved into a fanbase (which is both good and bad)!!

So all in all, I love being a brony/the show because it's the one thing that makes me smile everyday. It's like an antidepressant filled with characters I love. We're not crazy-obsessed over it to the point where it's scary, but we love the show. A lot. :D

I'm sure it's great for a kid's show, I don't see Polly Pocket getting a huge fanbase all over the internet in just a couple of months. But if you look deep inside you, what's your favorite show? Is it this show? Or is it something else, and if it's something else, ask yourself this, how much time do you spend on this show and your favorite one? Is the time spent careing about this show great? And then ask why, if you do spend more time on this show.

And what great mystery of life are you trying to figure out? What about you? What do you like watch and do with your spare time? Why do you like doing those things? We do have a introduction section so why don't you pop in and make an introductory post.

Is the time spent on this show greater? And then ask why, if you do spend more time on this show.

I guess I'll answer this question too. No, this is not my favorite show, though I do spend more time on it. My favorite show, a mildly obscure anime called Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, is no longer running, and due to complications with legal rights, it is very expensive to buy and somewhat difficult to find otherwise. The recent OVA of the anime was atrocious too. As a result, this fandom is much more active and enthusiastic than the Higurashi fandom so I participate in it more. Obviously, I spend more time watching this show as well because it is still ongoing.

And what great mystery of life are you trying to figure out? What about you? What do you like watch and do with your spare time? Why do you like doing those things? We do have a introduction section so why don't you pop in and make an introductory post.

I mainly didn't go there because of the fact that it seemed like the questions were about how I came to like the show and who my favorite 'mane' six pony was. And I didn't really feel like I had the obligation to post there, so I decided to just jump right in a post the question that's been irking at me in the back of my mind. So I googled mlp forums, found this place, created an account, and asked.

The great mystery I'm trying to figure out is why so many people watch this show. It seemed like the fanbase exploded overnight, and all of a sudden it was this huge thing. What I do in my spare time is participate in a debate and philosophy club, it allows me to think outside my being and outside of my personal thoughts and ideals and ask questions on human ideals and things that I normally wouldn't think about.

Edited by Soduh_Man

I mainly didn't go there because of the fact that it seemed like the questions were about how I came to like the show and who my favorite 'mane' six pony was. And I didn't really feel like I had the obligation to post there, so I decided to just jump right in a post the question that's been irking at me in the back of my mind. So I googled mlp forums, found this place, created an account, and asked.

To be fair you havn't answered all my questions when i have answered yours in complete faithfulness. In addition, it would almost seem that your questions are geared toward the realization inside ourselves that would steer us away from our enjoyment of the show, which doesn't seem all that friendly. But then again, i'm hungry and that could be just my perception from this mortal flesh of a body.

The reason I watch this show is because of Rarity.

I only really like Rarity.

She is amazing.

I mean, I like a few of the other characters, but the truth is she's the only character I really like XD

I agree Rarity is amazing. (Just look at my signature). However I like all the other Mane characters as well. I mean Rarity by a mile, but the other ones are good too. Anyway, I thought I would just share my Rarity foundness with you.

/offtopic

• Brohoof 1

To be fair you havn't answered all my questions when i have answered yours in complete faithfulness. In addition, it would almost seem that your questions are geared toward the realization inside ourselves that would steer us away from our enjoyment of the show, which doesn't seem all that friendly. But then again, i'm hungry and that could be just my perception from this mortal flesh of a body.

I edited my post and felt I answered the questions. Anyways, I am trying to figure out a way into this that's not emotional, because I know the answers I would get on a purely emotional standpoint would be extremely biased in the sense that presumably a lot of you have been watching the show for a long time, the answers I'm getting right now have emotion in them, and that's why I'm asking non emotional questions, because I already know emotion will find a way into them, it's human nature. Anyways, I am glad in the point that people are answering honestly, thank you guys for that, I appreciate it. Edited by Soduh_Man

I personally watch the show because it interests me. I find the characterization of the ponies to be of the utmost excellence, as well as plot development and quality animation. The community exists because many of us are questioned in real life about why we watch the show, and it usually results in teasing (albeit minor), or the fact that it's difficult to find bronies in many places.

Yes, I'll admit, the show was originally directed towards little girls. But what puts this show above the others is, as stated previously, the many literary aspects that put this show above every other cartoon I've seen in recent memory. Although the target audience is little girls, it also has different qualities/jokes/humor in general that can appeal to all ages.

The pony fan pages, containing fan fics, artwork, and the like exist because many people have been touched with the show on personal levels, and are allowing themselves to bloom creatively while using characters that they are already familiar with or admire.

I take time out of my life to watch this show because I find it to be of quality.

I believe that's all your questions.

I edited my post and felt I answered the questions. Anyways, I am trying to figure out a way into this that's not emotional, because I know the answers I would get on a purely emotional standpoint would be extremely biased in the sense that presumably a lot of you have been watching the show for a long time, the answers I'm getting right now have emotion in them, and that's why I'm asking non emotional questions, because I already know emotion will find a way into them, it's human nature. Anyways, I am glad in the point that people are answering honestly, thank you guys for that, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, emotion is the basis on which every single person operates their life. Even those that choose not to react with emotions have a singular emotion frequency that makes up their energy field. The show itself is designed to stock positive emotions on top of each other and thus doubling postive emotional frquency. But because of all our positive emotional frequencies, based upon the law of attraction in the universe, we conglomerate together. But the real fact is that rarely has there been a show that has ever stacked emotional reactions like this before. As such, it really just feels great over all. I hope that answers some questions or pondering.

the answers I'm getting right now have emotion in them, and that's why I'm asking non emotional questions

Well, you're asking about why we watch the show, so you're only going to get emotional responses. Most human motivations are emotional, especially about something like preference for one show over another.