Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

An episode that can redeem Derpy?

Rainbow Derp

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Twinhead B" data-cid="1000330" data-time="1355578732"><p>

The only way Derpy would ever be able to gain a more significant role is if an episode dedicated to her completely remedied "Derpygate". They'd have to have an episode in which one of the Mane 6 (most likely Pinkie Pie) notices that other ponies ignore and avoid Derpy because of her handicap, and decides that becoming friends with Derpy is the right thing to do. Then some kind of problem would need to arrise that allows Derpy to save the day and prove she isn't the "retard-horse" that overprotective parents labelled her as.<br />

<br />

The moral would probably be something like "just because somepony has a handicap, doesn't make them any less special, and we should treat everyone the same, and look past each other's differences because being different is what makes us special".<br />

<br />

<br />

It's also worth mentioning that the reddit post that said Hasbro has axed Derpy was the same one that said Twilight would become an alicorn princess so Hasbro can sell more toys. It should be said that the redditor who posted that, joined a few days prior to the post, and that the post is his <strong class='bbc'>ONLY</strong> post. It's just about the farthest thing from a reliable source possible. :/</p></blockquote>

...Thank you. >_>

That makes more sense. Lol. Now I can go back to worrying about her possibly being cut out, and stating that I don't think she needs or will get an episode. And I doubt Hasbro would take the chance after what did happen.

The only way Derpy would ever be able to gain a more significant role is if an episode dedicated to her completely remedied "Derpygate". They'd have to have an episode in which one of the Mane 6 (most likely Pinkie Pie) notices that other ponies ignore and avoid Derpy because of her handicap, and decides that becoming friends with Derpy is the right thing to do. Then some kind of problem would need to arrise that allows Derpy to save the day and prove she isn't the "retard-horse" that overprotective parents labelled her as.

The moral would probably be something like "just because somepony has a handicap, doesn't make them any less special, and we should treat everyone the same, and look past each other's differences because being different is what makes us special".

Yes I agree and I think they could and should make an episode like that but they probably won't, I have a fanfic idea with a similar premise to that except the town either ignores/makes fun of her or goes a bit overboard with the good intentions by going the other extreme by trying to baby her and shield her from the world because of that.

In the latest episode, I was so certain that Derpy was going to make an appearance when the Mane 6 were waiting for the Mail Pony to arrive. But, to my disappointment, the Mail Pony was not Derpy Hooves. :(

This leaves me to believe that there will not be an episode in the future that will showcase Derpy, unfortunately.  

Edited by Blindshot Predator
  • Brohoof 1

I think a Derpy episode wouldn't be best in a season, but rather a thing for the creators to do in between seasons, to keep the spirit of the show up. Than that avoids people complaining about Derpy, since it will be an online only thing.

• Brohoof 1

That would be *really* awesome if Derpy had her own episode! But at the same time if that would ever happen they would have to give episodes to the majority of the background characters too, which would also be sweet. But since this whole controversy with derpy and having her removed and all... I don't see her ever getting her own episode due to that reason sadly  :( some people are just really mean aren't they? 

You are not going to believe what this imbecile said on this Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles forum I am a member of on the MLP thread on there when the subject got to Derpy. He said something to effect of "making a character called Derpy appeal to disabled people is like making a horse name Niggy to appeal to black people." That told me that he clearly did not watch the show and probably not even the clip in question yet still made a snap judgment that Derpy is an insult to people who are mentally handicapped. Unfortunetely it is people like that that, uptight parents and the PC police that make a Derpy episode next to impossible.

I think the Alicorn Twilight thing is the biggest thing in the unlikely pile.  To just arbitrarily turn her into one would be a pain in the flank beyond belief.  Hasbro has made bad moves in the past such as the Transmetal thing for Beastwars, and I do believe they learned from it.  Only thing I can potentially see is some Sailor Moon type powerup where she turns into one, then quickly loses the power afterwards.

As for Derpy being axed, i'm going to have to believe it to be partly true since we're seeing less and less of our mail mare.  After we saw her in the stands for Episode 2 and in the stands during Episode 5, I think she maybe gone for good which is disheartening. 

It would be great to see our dutiful pony return once more, but she will never get a speaking role again.  Even if they were to give her a more feminine voice.  With our muffin loving mare, I think she's relegated to the very, VERY far back beyond a background pony.  I'm just glad that she appears in the comics instead of being completely done away with. 

As for Derpy being axed, i'm going to have to believe it to be partly true since we're seeing less and less of our mail mare.  After we saw her in the stands for Episode 2 and in the stands during Episode 5, I think she maybe gone for good which is disheartening. 

It would be great to see our dutiful pony return once more, but she will never get a speaking role again.  Even if they were to give her a more feminine voice.  With our muffin loving mare, I think she's relegated to the very, VERY far back beyond a background pony.  I'm just glad that she appears in the comics instead of being completely done away with.

Look at these alledged John De Lancie (Discord) lines I found in another post:

"I was just started talking with this mare here, doesn't she have the most lovely eyes? Ah-Ah-Ah! Don't say anything my dear, let's not ruin the moment."

It would seem Derpy may take the spollight again, if only for a few silent moments, hopefully she'll be derp'd as well. Perhaps Hasbro isn't trying to axe Derpy at all, but rather ease her into the show, rather than shove her in everyone's face. Let's face it, to a non-brony, having a wall-eyed clutz come crashing in out of nowhere with no explaination or backstory is probably a little jarring.

Personally, I think the show needs an important handicapped character to round out it's roster. Scootaloo was originally supposed to be crippled, and forever unable to fly, however they abandoned that idea later on. MLP has no handicapped characters, and having Derpy-centered episodes focusing on accepting, and possibly overcoming a handicap seems right.

We get our beloved Derpy, Handicapped children can relate to a character they can relate to (or at least sympathize with).

Everybody wins.

EDIT : Here's a link to the website with those alledged De Lancie lines:

http://eqmegathreads.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/rumor-possible-discord-lines.html

Edited by Twinhead B
  • Brohoof 1

Look at these alledged John De Lancie (Discord) lines I found in another post:

It would seem Derpy may take the spollight again, if only for a few silent moments, hopefully she'll be derp'd as well. Perhaps Hasbro isn't trying to axe Derpy at all, but rather ease her into the show, rather than shove her in everyone's face. Let's face it, to a non-brony, having a wall-eyed clutz come crashing in out of nowhere with no explaination or backstory is probably a little jarring.

Personally, I think the show needs an important handicapped character to round out it's roster. Scootaloo was originally supposed to be crippled, and forever unable to fly, however they abandoned that idea later on. MLP has no handicapped characters, and having Derpy-centered episodes focusing on accepting, and possibly overcoming a handicap seems right.

We get our beloved Derpy, Handicapped children can relate to a character they can relate to (or at least sympathize with).

Everybody wins.

EDIT : Here's a link to the website with those alledged De Lancie lines:

http://eqmegathreads.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/rumor-possible-discord-lines.html

I'm not sure about the Scootaloo thing myself.  They may still keep her grounded even though Rainbow Dash has taken the little hopeful flier under her wing.  It seems the show's creators are faithfully following Faust's original designs, but adding in their own ideas.  Sleepless In Ponyville maybe the episode that has the creators interjecting their own thoughts on things. 

As for the mare having the "most lovely eyes," I really have to question if they will do that.  With Derpy being put into the spotlight, having people complain, and then push her towards the back, only to put her into the spotlight again at the end... I just don't think it would work.  Not going to say it's impossible mind you, but after the all too predictable ending for Magic Duel, I get the impression they'll have Discord woo some mare then "Derp" her eyes. 

They could reintroduce the pony from the mental hospital in the straightjacket and have her eyes darting about.  With her being insane, it seems more like Discord's type. 

One thing that irritates me is people pointing fingers at Derpy as if she was specifically made to make fun of handicapped people.  However, imho, if the show didn't have her, it would be way too perfect.  Even with your obligatory disasters, villains, bullies, and the like, the ponies would be too perfect where nothing is wrong with them.  Derpy adds in that element of "yes there are clutzy ponies/potentially mentally handicapped equines in Equestria," but the community accepts them for who they are and doesn't hate on them. 

It's an ill-conceived defense, but I say if you hate on Derpy and demand she be removed, then you best have the fortitude to complain to Disney about Goofy's shenanigans and his name.  I say a nearly similar thing should apply towards Patrick Star in Spongebob since the pink starfish has been shown countless times to be pretty dang stupid. 

I personally hope that if they do show Derpy at the end of S3 that it's not the end of our lovable googly-eyed mail mare, tossing her away into nothingness.  As said, my solace comes from the fact she's in the comics, so she hasn't completely gone away.

Edited by Genepool

I'm not sure about the Scootaloo thing myself.  They may still keep her grounded even though Rainbow Dash has taken the little hopeful flier under her wing.  It seems the show's creators are faithfully following Faust's original designs, but adding in their own ideas.  Sleepless In Ponyville maybe the episode that has the creators interjecting their own thoughts on things. 

As for the mare having the "most lovely eyes," I really have to question if they will do that.  With Derpy being put into the spotlight, having people complain, and then push her towards the back, only to put her into the spotlight again at the end... I just don't think it would work.  Not going to say it's impossible mind you, but after the all too predictable ending for Magic Duel, I get the impression they'll have Discord woo some mare then "Derp" her eyes. 

They could reintroduce the pony from the mental hospital in the straightjacket and have her eyes darting about.  With her being insane, it seems more like Discord's type. 

One thing that irritates me is people pointing fingers at Derpy as if she was specifically made to make fun of handicapped people.  However, imho, if the show didn't have her, it would be way too perfect.  Even with your obligatory disasters, villains, bullies, and the like, the ponies would be too perfect where nothing is wrong with them.  Derpy adds in that element of "yes there are clutzy ponies/potentially mentally handicapped equines in Equestria," but the community accepts them for who they are and doesn't hate on them. 

It's an ill-conceived defense, but I say if you hate on Derpy and demand she be removed, then you best have the fortitude to complain to Disney about Goofy's shenanigans and his name.  I say a nearly similar thing should apply towards Patrick Star in Spongebob since the pink starfish has been shown countless times to be pretty dang stupid. 

I personally hope that if they do show Derpy at the end of S3 that it's not the end of our lovable googly-eyed mail mare, tossing her away into nothingness.  As said, my solace comes from the fact she's in the comics, so she hasn't completely gone away.

Well, the article does postulate the idea that Discord is Starswirl the Bearded, so take it with a grain of salt. However, Derpy is pretty much the only characters who's biggest and most stand-out trait is her eyes. The fact that he tells her to not say anything also points to it being Derpy, as she's already appeared in the background in Season 3, but hasn't said any lines since the Last Roundup.

I agree though, the Derpy-fiasco was pretty ridiculous. It was just a bunch of (If I recall correctly it was only one) over-protective parents who dimisses Disney's blatant stabs at handicapped people "because it's old-fashioned" but attacked MLP because they misinterpreted a 30 second clip. :/

• Brohoof 1

I personally really want the rest of the episodes to star Derpy, but I dont want her to take up too much attention after what happenned in "The last Roundup".I want an episode that is all Applejack.

I personally really want the rest of the episodes to star Derpy, but I dont want her to take up too much attention after what happenned in "The last Roundup".I want an episode that is all Applejack.

You should be in luck, Saturday's episode should be nothing but Applejack. That is, if it doesn't get Derpy-derailed, like last season. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

You should be in luck, Saturday's episode should be nothing but Applejack. That is, if it doesn't get Derpy-derailed, like last season. :lol:

I really hope so. Also, I had a thought. Last Comic con, we were told we`d see more crazy ponies this season. Will we finally see crazy applejack? :)

I agree though, the Derpy-fiasco was pretty ridiculous. It was just a bunch of (If I recall correctly it was only one) over-protective parents who dimisses Disney's blatant stabs at handicapped people "because it's old-fashioned" but attacked MLP because they misinterpreted a 30 second clip. :/

Indeed.  One thing that infuriates me is the ease with which people can be manipulated by others who get a bug up their butt.  If you don't like something for some reason, fine, but don't drag things down because you dislike it.  I've seen how some of these parents treat their special needs kids.  They believe the kids need to be sheltered away from the world like some fragile glass rose that'll break if a person so much as breaths on them.  During HS for my community service hours for a scholarship, I worked with some special needs kids at a local middle school.  While there are some that potentially talk like Derpy, the ones I worked with didn't.  In all honesty, what these kids need is the same respect you would give another person.  The special needs teachers told me point blank just to be kind to them and understanding which I had no problem complying with. 

If a person does a good job you compliment them and if they screw up you help them understand how to better themselves.  Unlike a normal person, the special needs kids/people may not 100% understand how they screwed up, but they will learn how to do better next time if given the chance. 

Another problem with Derpy maybe the varying levels of her mentality.  Not sure if it was MLPWikia, but I believe there are currently 4 levels.  There were originally two levels, however, two more were added down the road. She mostly conforms to the first two levels with people rarely assuming she's the third or fourth level.  The first level being articulate, but a bit of a clutz while the fourth level is down right dumb as a box of rocks as the TF2 engineer would put it.

Personally, I think Derpy is probably the first/second tier where she's no Einstein, but has a good grasp on reality.  Only thing that happens is she has a bit of bad luck at times.  In the end though, she's a kind pony and a caring mother to Dinky. 

Edited by Genepool
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think a Derpy episode will ever happen. I don't buy the alicorn Twilight, either. Derps should just remain a Waldo figure.

I definitely want to see her in the waldo figure once more.  Sadly, even that may not happen.  Our mail mare has been noticeably absent as of late.

While a Derpy episode would be awesome, I just don't see it happening. She's a background character, and there's still other secondary characters who rightfully should get episodes instead.  That said, I really hope they don't actually get rid of her, but with how she hasn't shown up at all so far :(

As for those rumors, I honestly don't buy it, as far as alicorn Twilight at least.  If they honestly did that, I couldn't see it lasting more than most of 1-2 episodes tops.

Derpy should get another episode it would mean so much to bronys everywhere. But I do not think hazbro would let it happen.

Alicorn twilight HELL NO bad idea.

That would be an awesome episode to watch. If Derpy had a Dear Princess Celestia moment I think I could die in peace. :) Something like that would please every Brony and Pegasister ever known. And with Derpy they could teach I really good lesson on not judging others on they way they look. Have Derpy on a full episode would be so awesome for every on here especially. But to be honest, I can see how Derpy having her own episode would be very un-likely. But it's nice to dream. :)

As for Alicorn Twilight, I have no response on it. I don't hate the idea of her becoming an Alicorn, but don't love it at the same time as well. My friend loves the idea of Twilight becoming an Alicorn. But I don't have a response on it to be honest.  -_-

• Brohoof 1

I'm calling it now, Derpy makes a non-speaking cameo in the finale. Those De Lancie lines seem too legit. If it happens, mark my words right here, right now.

I called it.

If it doesn't happen, I was never here. XD

Being a background episode Derpy might not get an episode

Even with this I have an idea that might work

(just note this is an idea and I probably didn't cover every angle in ways to make this work)

The episode could be about how Derpy becomes friends with one of the mane 6. Which one I don't know which one would work best. Any way one way to deal with parents is to have her name Ditzy Doo

DON'T HATE ME listen

In the Doctor Hooves series Derpy is refered to as Ditzy and Derpy is a nickname

Work with me

Derpy Hooves could be her nickname in the episode and the episode could be how it's okay to be different and how we shouldn't judge people or make fun of them because of these differences

I know I have a lot of plot holes, some alterations can be madeand this may never happen,

But hay one can dream right?

"You know the kind of pony that does nothing but bad things, then wonders why her life sucks?  Well, that was me.  Every time something good happened to me, something bad was waitin' around the corner.  Carma.  That's when I realized that I had to change.  So I made a list of everything bad I've ever done, and one by one I'm going to make up for all my mistakes.  I'm just trying to be a better pony and my name is Derpy."

:wacko:

• Brohoof 1

My gosh... words cannot express how much I'd love for a Derpy episode to happen, especially the one such as you described!!!  I am, sadly, not very optimistic about the chances of a Derpy episode; however, after this week's episode, I am a little more optimistic about an episode, or at least of a prominent re-appearance from Derpy, for one simple reason.  If you look around the web, you'll find a number of people reporting that "Apple Family Reunion" was originally scheduled to be released as Episode 9, not Episode 8.  The original Episode 8's title and description, along with Episode 11, 12, and 13, has yet to be released.  The others I get; but why has Studio B been so mysterious about the original Episode 8, I wonder?  Could it be that they didn't want to risk dealing with the headache that would've come with releasing a Derpy episode before Christmas?  Probably not, but I don't know, for some reason I cannot shake the feeling that there is some very good reason that they have yet to release the title and description of this episode, and also rescheduled it, and with how little Derpy's shown up this season, I'm hoping that at some point she makes a re-appearance in a BIG WAY!!!  Right now, this is all mere educated speculation, but hey, a guy can hope, right?  Here's hoping Derpy comes back at some point this season in a very pleasant and satisfying way!  I miss our favorite mail mare!  :(

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

I like this idea. I feel the same as some people who have said that axing her seems like a blow to people who do have disabilities or who are clumsy and different. I mean, isn't that most if not all of us? I think we can all see a bit of ourselves in Derpy Hooves. I am highly disappointed in the fact that parents complained.

First of all, they did not understand the term at all. That annoyed me. If you aren't sure what it means, then you need to be quiet on the subject. I got into a debate with some parent and she didn't have a leg to stand on. She didn't know what the term really meant, she did little ot no research on the subject and she herself insulted those with mental conditions.

If we cannot have a Derpy episode, I would like her to come back with a voice. Perhaps a new voice since Tabitha thought it was a male pony for some reason.. o.O Anyway, she would need a new name because people are too stupid to grasp simple concepts but I think her message should be in tact.

Derpy tells us that it is okay to fail. As long as you get up and try again. Also... she's really funny. ;)

Edited by Doctor_Whooves
  • Brohoof 2