Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think being *smart* is something you are born with? or obtain?

Zygen

So i've been wondering about this for a while, and I figured I'd ask the members of the MLP forums this. Whats your take on how someone becomes *Smart*?

Is being smart something that you just have as your born? like a talent? Or is it something you slowly obtain through study and stuff?

Maybe a combination or both? Or one or the other? Whatever it is i'm curious on others opinions on this.

So whats your take on how people become smart?

I think it depends on the person some people have a natural aptitude for intelligence while some people have to work a bit harder for it, the brain is a complicated thing so it is really hard to say how much of it is inborn and how much of it is a result of study.

• Brohoof 4

I think some people naturally are able to understand things more quickly, while others have to work at it. But I really think that everyone is smart about something. Whether it's calculus or wood carving or just common sense.

• Brohoof 4

I think both. being smart is definitely something to be obtained but in some rare cases you can be born with aspergers syndrome. One of the symptoms is a series of lacking social but higher level brain functions. Curse or blessing, you are technically born smarter.

• Brohoof 2

I think both. being smart is definitely something to be obtained but in some rare cases you can be born with aspergers syndrome. One of the symptoms is a series of lacking social but higher level brain functions. Curse or blessing, you are technically born smarter.

In some cases that is true, but it is hard to say. I have aspergers and I have a relatively high iq and have a fairly decent amount of talent as a musician and a writer. I don't know how much of my musical ability has to do with my neurological difference I am just glad to be touched with that gift. I do know however that my current ability with language has very little to do with that as it did not come quite as easily, I lost what little language I had at age 2 and regained it back at age 5. Some people with aspergers are skilled at math and I am unfortunately not one of them as I can barely even understand pre algebra.

• Brohoof 1

It's genetical, there have been documentation on it in the past and it was used as justification for eugenics.I do believe that a group of people doing jobs that requires certain skill for a few generation might make their future bloodline be good at certain things but I rather not pull out real world example or I'll be called a racist.

It depends. Let's say you're born mentally retarded. Case closed, you're *dumb* and can't really help it. Although while you don't know something's very well, maybe you know others better than most. You really just have to have a passion to learn. I think that we all having something that peaks our curiosity that we want to learn more about- and that may not be things like math, science, languages, history, civics, and other things that may define someone as more "smart". Consider this: For example, maybe I'm smarter than you in geometry and geometric shapes, while you're smarter than me in algebraic formulas. While we are both smart in a subject, we are considerably more smart a certain parts of the subject. Another example would be if I was a smarter geologist than you and could easily identify the layers of the earth, while you where a smarter entomologist and could more easily identify different kinds of insects and their correct classifications. Thus you would be smarter than me with insects, and I would be smarter at rocks ._. how exciting.

So to actualy answer your question, there are many levels of different kinds of smartness and what you are smart at. Everyone is smart (and this over usage of the word "smart" is annoying me, yes me, the writer of this, and I'm just annoyed by it... But since it's what I'm referring to it must stay...) and we all are smarter at something than the other. Also, since I'm terrible at writing summaries I'm just going to end it right here. Long, complex, un-inspirational, and highly in the way, just like how I like it.

• Brohoof 1

It's a combination of both, I think. Really it goes back to age-old nature vs. nurture debate. Some people are born with a greater capacity for knowledge than others, but anyone can still study and become "smart" if they dedicate themselves to learning.

• Brohoof 1

I think intelligence is a natural aptitude. Whether it shows is a matter of your work ethic and dedication. I know of plenty of 'smart' people who simply don't apply themselves, so society labels them as average or dumb. 

I feel like tooting my own horn here, but I'm intelligent enough that I don't need to try at school. So while I'm in all Advanced Placement classes, etc. I barely apply myself so some people assume I am just borderline smart.

...anyways. Intelligence is a natural thing, it is all about how you use your brains that defines how 'smart' you are.

• Brohoof 2

I feel like, while you can be born smart, it's something anyone is capable of becoming if they work hard enough. I certainly wasn't born the smartest person, but now I'm actually pretty smart. Last year, it took me the whole year to learn how to solve for x. This year, I'm ending the semester with a 94% in Algebra 1.

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 1

I was actually born with brain damage where the two hemispheres of my brain do not share information properly. I could not spell cat when I was a child. I spent hours driving around a riding lawn mower with no blades on it and I was the happiest kid in the world. No one really tried to get me to read until I was like eight then I went into a program where I lived with a teacher for a summer and she taught me not only to read but how to think.

After that summer I became progressively more aware and intelligent as if the lights had simply came on in my mind. Consciousness is like a muscle, the more you use it the stronger it gets. If you are aware and thinking you will grow more intelligent. You will gain the capacity to gather and process information effectively. Read books, write in a journal, study philosophy, go out and experience the world. As long as you don't live passively you will be smarter in the long run.     

Edited by Plowplot
  • Brohoof 5

The potential is genetic but the actual can be nurtured or lost in practice.  Person A starts with a 150 base IQ and Person B starts with a 90 base IQ.  Person A will end up in a range say of 130-180 depending upon life factors and Person B will end up in a range from 75 to 115.

• Brohoof 1

There is a difference between having knowledge and having intelligence. Intelligence is innate. You are born with it and you can't change it. It determines how much effort it requires to obtain knowledge. This means that sufficient effort can substitute for intelligence.

• Brohoof 1

I think your mentality and the way your brain picks up on things are a major factor on how intelligent a person is, I also think that your upbringing does have something to do with it as well, also the amount of attendance you had in school contributes also.

• Brohoof 1

You can judge a person from a whole aspect of things to really determine if they're smart or not.

Off-hand, people may not seem too smart because you're observing a certain trait. Almost everyone has a certain a different skill they excel versus, perhaps a peer. Typically a lot of people I find judge most by where they stand in their grades. I know a person who was super smart and had really high grades as some boasted, because that's what they only care about. However, he was pretty socially stupid.

Some people lack skills people don't even consider to judge someone's intelligence. I know other people who are smarter with other things and their skills may lie in woodworking, history, politics, programming, cooking, music, art, or something else. I personally find people typically lean to people who are great in the sciences, and maths.

Not saying you aren't smart if you're good at science or math~

Some people are blessed with good parents though to teach their children, and keep up with them to make sure they're up with their studies or activities. Some people didn't need guidance by their parents either which I find is better, because they have a great sense of independence.

People are born with different motives which lead into their interest that may become a career choice when they are older. Not everyone is going to be good at the same thing because we're all different. We might share similar interests, but we definitively don't all share the same differences. 

• Brohoof 2

I Believe it is obtained, i once heard a saying "All people are born geniuses, but are corrupted by society itself". I strongly believe in this saying. There are alot of people that join these so called "Street gangs" or join a certain sub-culture that don't really help a person intelectualy... I believe that 10% is talent, and 90% is hard work.

• Brohoof 1

You can judge a person from a whole aspect of things to really determine if they're smart or not.

Off-hand, people may not seem too smart because you're observing a certain trait. Almost everyone has a certain a different skill they excel versus, perhaps a peer. Typically a lot of people I find judge most by where they stand in their grades. I know a person who was super smart and had really high grades as some boasted, because that's what they only care about. However, he was pretty socially stupid.

Some people lack skills people don't even consider to judge someone's intelligence. I know other people who are smarter with other things and their skills may lie in woodworking, history, politics, programming, cooking, music, art, or something else. I personally find people typically lean to people who are great in the sciences, and maths.

Not saying you aren't smart if you're good at science or math~

Some people are blessed with good parents though to teach their children, and keep up with them to make sure they're up with their studies or activities. Some people didn't need guidance by their parents either which I find is better, because they have a great sense of independence.

People are born with different motives which lead into their interest that may become a career choice when they are older. Not everyone is going to be good at the same thing because we're all different. We might share similar interests, but we definitively don't all share the same differences. 

I agree, I think that from some standpoint everyone is smart with something. And sometimes even grades aren't that great of a factor in determining if someones actually smart even for subjects, I actually know alot of people who have a high intelligence, yet they just don't try and use it.

Theres certainly the people who are book smart, people who are socially smart, ect. I've been told that I'm "smart" by people before, and while my grades are pretty good, I'll have to admit I'm not that great at socializing.(I also tend to ramble on alot in conversations.)

Motivation plays a huge part in learning as I mentioned earlier with intelligent people who just don't try.

It depends. Let's say you're born mentally retarded. Case closed, you're *dumb* and can't really help it. Although while you don't know something's very well, maybe you know others better than most. You really just have to have a passion to learn. I think that we all having something that peaks our curiosity that we want to learn more about- and that may not be things like math, science, languages, history, civics, and other things that may define someone as more "smart". Consider this: For example, maybe I'm smarter than you in geometry and geometric shapes, while you're smarter than me in algebraic formulas. While we are both smart in a subject, we are considerably more smart a certain parts of the subject. Another example would be if I was a smarter geologist than you and could easily identify the layers of the earth, while you where a smarter entomologist and could more easily identify different kinds of insects and their correct classifications. Thus you would be smarter than me with insects, and I would be smarter at rocks ._. how exciting.

So to actualy answer your question, there are many levels of different kinds of smartness and what you are smart at. Everyone is smart (and this over usage of the word "smart" is annoying me, yes me, the writer of this, and I'm just annoyed by it... But since it's what I'm referring to it must stay...) and we all are smarter at something than the other. Also, since I'm terrible at writing summaries I'm just going to end it right here. Long, complex, un-inspirational, and highly in the way, just like how I like it.

Yep, there's always someone smarter or better then you at one thing, and those people might not be as good at other thing as you are.

Smart is actually pretty overused alot of the time :P, its a very subjective term, because really like you said all people are "Smart" In some way. We're all just not smart in the same way.

• Brohoof 1

I believe it's either way mostly because for me I just have a natural taste for more knowledge and it comes fairly easy to me yet my cousin wasn't always the brightest but recently he's taken a change for the better doing alot better in school and gaining overall knowledge by working hard at it

• Brohoof 1

There is a difference between having knowledge and having intelligence. Intelligence is innate. You are born with it and you can't change it. It determines how much effort it requires to obtain knowledge. This means that sufficient effort can substitute for intelligence.

That makes very good sense. Intelligence is just kinda like a head start, but honestly hard work is a pretty good substitute, and can make it so you easily surpass someone of higher innate intelligence.

Like I mentioned before, there is some people who are very smart when they actually put some hard work into it, but without hard work(or atleast some work.) they don't have a chance at all of becoming more knowledgeable then another.

You can be born with intelligence, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're smart. There are different kinds of smart. Common sense can be considered a type of smarts, and several of the greatest minds we have known are awfully lacking in that regard. Everyone is smart, or has the potential to be smart, in their own special way.

• Brohoof 1

One of my professors at college last year said something like "Smart people do smart people things and stupid people do stupid people things." (or something like that)

Basically, what he meant was that smart people are smart because they take the time to learn and gain knowledge, and stupid people are stupid because they don't. Although, I think some people are naturally capable of learning things easier than others.

• Brohoof 1

all people are "Smart" In some way. We're all just not smart in the same way.

You sir, I complement you. You described everything I wanted to say into two sentences rather then making it long and complex like I did.

• Brohoof 1