Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should there be a 7th pony?

Phoenix237

Okay it happens almost all the time. You have a show or cartoon that focuses on a group. After a couple of seasons they introduce a new character that becomes part of the Maine cast.

There are example of this happening. Like when they introduced Tommy, the green ranger in the original power ranger series. Or when they introduced Casey Jones in the original Ninja Turtles (he was not there for the first few seasons).

Considering freindship is magic's popularity I believe that we will have more seasons to come. I mean come on we all know (or most of us like to believe) that season 3 isnt that last season. That would be a bad move on Hasbro's part. That being said what if hasbro pulled this trick on us.

What if they add a new character that isn't there to be seen every once in a while (like princess Luna, Shining Armor, Babs Seeds, etc.). I'm talking about adding a character to the Mane six itself (which may make it the mane seven). They add a new element of harmony and bring us a whole new character.

Now many may say this will mean hasbro is running out of ideas, but I believe a move like this may add more potential to the series. But thats just me. I could explaine how, but I would take way to long to explaine so let's just leave it as I think this would be an okay move.

What are your opinions? Would this be okay? Would you like to see this happen? Would you be concerned? Do you hate this idea? What is your opinion?

Note:

There is no confirmation that backs up Or contradicts this theory. This is just a discussion that I thought would be nice to add to this forum. This topic is not ment to start any arguments. It's all in good fun.

• Brohoof 1

The way i see it there are a few interesting things that would shape this decision. Firstly, we have 2 alicorns in the series. Secondly, the mane 6 is comprised of 2 of every type of pony. Lastly, there is 1 of every type of pony in the main set of cutiemark crusaders. Also, crystal ponies showed up once and only once. What if they added 3 new ponies. 1 is a crystal filly, and the other 2 are crystal pony additions to the mane 6. That way you can keep the balance of the show and give meaning to the addition of crystal ponies in season 3.

Okay it happens almost all the time. You have a show or cartoon that focuses on a group. After a couple of seasons they introduce a new character that becomes part of the Maine cast.

There are example of this happening. Like when they introduced Tommy, the green ranger in the original power ranger series. Or when they introduced Casey Jones in the original Ninja Turtles (he was not there for the first few seasons).

Considering freindship is magic's popularity I believe that we will have more seasons to come. I mean come on we all know (or most of us like to believe) that season 3 isnt that last season. That would be a bad move on Hasbro's part. That being said what if hasbro pulled this trick on us.

What if they add a new character that isn't there to be seen every once in a while (like princess Luna, Shining Armor, Babs Seeds, etc.). I'm talking about adding a character to the Mane six itself (which may make it the mane seven). They add a new element of harmony and bring us a whole new character.

Now many may say this will mean hasbro is running out of ideas, but I believe a move like this may add more potential to the series. But thats just me. I could explaine how, but I would take way to long to explaine so let's just leave it as I think this would be an okay move.

What are your opinions? Would this be okay? Would you like to see this happen? Would you be concerned? Do you hate this idea? What is your opinion?

Note:

There is no confirmation that backs up Or contradicts this theory. This is just a discussion that I thought would be nice to add to this forum. This topic is not ment to start any arguments. It's all in good fun.

I think that if they did, it should be a stallion, that'd be really cool, and it'd throw a lot of people off. Also, it would mean more character shipping, gotta love that.

• Brohoof 2

Hmmm I think i'd rather keep it the mane 6 thank you very much (Even though Spike practically makes it the mane 7) If Hasbro is truly running out of ideas then that's when they need to end the series. No sense in beating a dead horse....or pony in this case. Thing is I don't feel adding another member to the main cast would really work.

• Brohoof 4

While I think it would be interesting to add a male pony to the Elements there is little that can be done, other then adding another set of Elements (I have read some fanfics involving other sets of Elements) but doing so would detract completely from the show. It would spread the show too thin, they already have to keep up the stories involving each individual pony of the mane 6 as well as the CMC. assuming they did that while adding another set that would be 6 episodes for each of the mane 6, 1 for spike, another 1 or more for the CMC as well as adding on the other characters. 

Thus they would only be able to add a single character, preferably a Stallion. it would me quite interesting, but as mentioned earlier, spreads the story thin. Aside from these things im all for it

(Now because so many people beat me to the punch ill just add this on to this post.)

The way i see it there are a few interesting things that would shape this decision. Firstly, we have 2 alicorns in the series. Secondly, the mane 6 is comprised of 2 of every type of pony. Lastly, there is 1 of every type of pony in the main set of cutiemark crusaders. Also, crystal ponies showed up once and only once. What if they added 3 new ponies. 1 is a crystal filly, and the other 2 are crystal pony additions to the mane 6. That way you can keep the balance of the show and give meaning to the addition of crystal ponies in season 3.

You make very valid points here Balance is key, though the question comes are the crystal ponies any different from the regular ponies? I bring up this question because the episodes imply that their crystal coats come from some form of external magic.

• Brohoof 1

No. Heck no. No. Just... No.

This is one of the fundamental signs of a show jumping the shark. It would feel forced, all the rest of the six would get even less screentime and development and I would have no emotional investment in this character at all. I approve of this even less than I approve of the idea of Alicorning Twilight, and that's saying something.

• Brohoof 7

No. Heck no. No. Just... No.

This is one of the fundamental signs of a show jumping the shark. It would feel forced, all the rest of the six would get even less screentime and development and I would have no emotional investment in this character at all. I approve of this even less than I approve of the idea of Alicorning Twilight, and that's saying something.

...sheesh, you basically said everything I was trying to say; only clearer and with less words. 

And quick plug about Alicorning Twilight as you say; No, just No. it would break the mane 6; the mane 6 is set up in a perfect symetry. 2 of each 'race' of ponies earth, pegasi, and unicorn. not only that but within each set of ponies you have balance (ie; the confident RD and the Shy Fluttershy)

This goes for adding another character. 

• Brohoof 1

That would be what they call in the business, "jumping the shark".

So no, just because they can doesn't mean they should. Hell, their formula has been working perfectly up to this point, so this idea just screams desperation from every angle you see it.

Edited by SrFrog
  • Brohoof 1

Aside from all the reasons people have already brought up, it wouldn't make any sense within the shows own mythology. How could there be a seventh element of harmony if the elements are only ever used as a set and they've already been used effectively as a set of six numerous times over thousands of years. Even if you could justify that, how do you justify a new element just popping up after a few millennia and somepony suddenly being shoehorned into the group to fill the hole it makes.

Also they would have to change the theme song.

• Brohoof 4

Any discussion I've read about the possibility of a new mane character or characters. MLP fans can be so brutal sometimes haha. I wouldn't mind. Although balancing out episodes between 6 characters can't be easy without adding another into the mix, especially when fans whinge at the first site of their favorite getting less screen time. Shout out to AJ fans :P

I think it would be too much of a change if they added a 7th male pony. As for adding a 7th pony at all, it's not a bad idea. Some have even suggested water ponies, but there are no such. A 7th pony would sure be great! But yeah imagine how many episodes would have to be made about a nedw pony's personality, since so far lots of episodes about the Mane 6

well i personally wouldn't mind it and i think it would actually be kinda cool, but i can also see the problem, since i did notice from the beginning of the show that there was 2 unicorns, 2 pegasi, and 2 earth ponies so it would upset the balence, but i still wouldn't mind it...i wonder what the 7th element of harmony would be called if there was one...?

I'm not to fond of the idea. It would throw off the balance of the main six. The main cast is two unicorns, two pegasi, two earth ponies and a baby dragon. I guess the only thing Hasbro could do is add a female counterpart for Spike. But, Spike already has a crush on Rarity so that won't work well. Although, I guess having Minty for an episode would be cool.

• Brohoof 2

I wouldn't really be happy to see someone join the mane 6, and thus make it the mane 7. It's hard enough for the show to put one pony in the center of attention, for example, rarity hasn't had her episode in season 3 yet. Having a 7th would only cause more problems.

We have really got used to having the mane 6 and not 7 or 8, so trust me, alot of the fans would not be pleased with this move.

no, because of the Elements of Harmony. theyre legendary elements, and since only 6 exist, then there can be only 6 who wield them as a group. the Mane 6 are the keepers of the Elements, thats their purpose in the show, so bringing in a 7th member wouldnt make any sense. they cant add an element or it would nullify the unity of the original 6 elements. 

the 6 elements combine to protect Equestria from all manners of evil, so what purpose would a 7th member serve? to carry the elements for the Mane 6? it would leave massive holes in the plot line, such as "where was the 7th element all this time, why didnt the original 6 elements need it to function, what caused the 7th element to become nessecary now, why didnt Celestia know about it to begin with" etc etc. 

everything is literally set in stone, and it cant be changed now. remember, they were all spiritually bound before they even met, the day Rainbow Dash did the Sonic Rainboom for the first time. a new pony wouldnt share that connection, and she would never trully be part of the group on the same level as the rest of them. 

Definitely they should do that!! Especially since Generosity, Magic, Honesty, Kindness, Loyalty, and Laughter are not the only elements of friendship. The show should make that clear. 

That's really cool!! It would totally work. I even have an idea for the episode in which they could be brought in:

The 2 crystal ponies could be best friends, and not want to accept another 6 into their group. Or vice versa, mane six not wanting other 2.

Plus, for the season finale, Celestia could be all like "Hey Twilight, i didn't tell you about this, but there are two other elements out there that I thought were well hidden but now *insertnameofvillainhere* wants them, and you have to save them, or else Equestria is in danger. Oh, did I mention you have to find the other two ponies that fit with them, too? Have fun!"

Well...no. I think others have said a lot of reasons but...I'll just add one that is the most important of them all in my opinion. How in the world would the 7th pony enter the close circle that has been formed, from past and present, of the mane 6? Here's what I mean.

From Season 1 until now, the ponies have had a close bond that has been explored a lot. Cutie Mark Chronicles showed that Rainbow Dash's first sonic rainboom literally allowed her friends and herself their cutie marks. That is a LOT of deep connection. Their adventures through Nightmare Moon...Discord...King Sombra...Queen Chrysalis...or even episodes that didn't involve villains, just the whole groups as a whole. The Ticket Master...Dragonshy...Bridle Gossip...and those are just from Season 1. I could go on and on about those.

What I'm saying is, this 7th character would have to some PRETTY FRIGGIN BIG stuff for the mane 6 to allow him/her in the circle. There is too big a friendship to just out of nowhere add a character in that circle. Like others said...it would be too forced, too complicated to be added. And, in my opinion, there's also this:

(Even though Spike practically makes it the mane 7)

Chaotic Harmony is completely right on this. Spike has participated in a lot of the adventures of the mane 6 himself. Even if on a lesser role, or barely appearing at all...but he was there. He's almost that 7th character that could be implied.

So bottomline is...no. As much as I give the writers a lot of credit, even they would have to force themselves, and plus, they probably wouldn't want to break the balance themselves anyway. So it's a no for possibility, and a no for wanting, in my case.

Don't let a another pony join the main cast, give the screentime to the ones that are lacking good development. *cough*bestpony*cough*

Oy, AJ has had far more screentime this season than Rarity and you don't see me complaining about it. :lol:  

• Brohoof 2

Meh, I mean, they could, but they already have their hoofs full with six ponies to focus on. Why make it more complicated? And I like the mane six just the way they are. It's really hard giving attention to each of the six ponies, and adding another one would just add stress to the writers, editors, ect. 

Plus, the mane six are just as good as they are. I think that six is good enough, and it should stay that way. 'Nuff said. 

I do hope not, i feel the mane 6 is ideal as it is, although twilight's cutie mark has her(the big star) and the other 5 members of the mane 6(the smaller stars) if they did introduce a new character they would have to change her cutie mark but hey if they do that then they are  most likely going to do the thing that i don't think many bronies are keen on, turning twilight into an alicorn. 

and im going a bit far now but on a semi-related topic i think the introduction of a human character would kill mlp.

i think it would be pretty cool honestly! But like one of the earlier posts said, it would be awesome if it was a stallion! it would make the show alot more entertaining, i think, and it really would put a twist into the normal "adventures in friendship". Mostly because, being part of an all girl group is a lot different than being part of one filled with boys! I personally think that if Hasbro decided to add a character to the Mane Six (or Mane Seven at that point) they would defiantly benefit!