Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Christian bronies: meet, greet, and mingle!

Zach TheDane

Haven't posted here in a while. How's everyone doing?

I have been doing mostly well recently, except that lately I have been feeling a bit anxious about college. Hopefuly the holiday here have here, in the last two days, have helped me to rest a bit :P

I hope you are doing well :)

Guys, I need help. What do you all think it takes to be spiritual? Like what qualifies one as it?

Spirituality is in essence, the path to the most vital questions, who are we?  why are we here?  Is there something more?  How do we get there?  To be spiritual is to be a seeker for the answers, to embrace the answers you find is to be a believer, to believe that are the correct answers is a matter of faith.  I'm actually simplifying it considerably, but that's what it involves.  Actually, here's a verse that I think covers what is spirituality 

Matthew 7:7-8
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

Philippians 3:13-14
Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

And here's what I consider an example of something beyond spirituality, more having found it, so this is believer and faith, moving beyond spirituality.  Ideally, this is experienced, embraced and studied, rather then just passed over.

1 Peter 3:18  For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.
  • Brohoof 2

Guys, I need help. What do you all think it takes to be spiritual? Like what qualifies one as it?

A broad question, but I hope I can help. 

Essential to Christian spirituality is to follow the two simple, yet greatest commandments: Love God and love your neighbors. 

In practice, this includes regular communion with God through prayer and thanksgiving, forgiving others as Christ has forgiven you, and serving others to help meet their needs. If we don't love others, then we can go to Church every week, say prayers all day, and read the Bible until we're blue in the face, but God will not approve of our works. (Matthew 15:8, 1 Cor. 13:1-3). That's not to say that the above aren't important; they are the best ways to help us get in a very close relationship with Christ. When I read one chapter of the Bible on a given day, I am edified by the teachings of Christ and inspired by the examples of those who follow him. When I pray, I feel very close to God. When I go to Church, I feel very connected to God's family (i.e. other Christians.) 

The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) is a great guide to Christian spirituality. 

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you have more questions.

In Christ Jesus,

ChB

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 3

It is important to remember that the Christian faith is not supposed to be a feelgood experience in order to be valid. Strictly speaking, it does not require you to feel a thing. It is not wrong per se to have a good feeling about it, but the problem will start when someone just follows God for the sake of feeling good. This is a selfish reason, one should not do that for the sake of personal gain. Besides that, some strong emotions might divert the attention away from God, which is what matters the most.

That is why when someone starts maturing on faith then God might temporarily make his presence as sensible as before, so you can learn to seek God instead of the comfort that comes from him. You no longer feel the same peace and joy as in the beginning, it practically feels like God had abandoned you. That is when you need to learn to trust God, even though you cannot perceive Him in any form. God never abandons you, even if it feels like otherwise.

This is called "dark night of the soul". You should read some biographies of saints, it has happened with most, if not all, of them. And you can see how their experience were and how they have dealt with it. Saint John of the Cross is one that wrote a lot about this subject, you should start looking for some books by him. :)

• Brohoof 4

It is important to remember that the Christian faith is not supposed to be a feelgood experience in order to be valid. Strictly speaking, it does not require you to feel a thing. It is not wrong per se to have a good feeling about it, but the problem will start when someone just follows God for the sake of feeling good. This is a selfish reason, one should not do that for the sake of personal gain. Besides that, some strong emotions might divert the attention away from God, which is what matters the most.

That is why when someone starts maturing on faith then God might temporarily make his presence as sensible as before, so you can learn to seek God instead of the comfort that comes from him. You no longer feel the same peace and joy as in the beginning, it practically feels like God had abandoned you. That is when you need to learn to trust God, even though you cannot perceive Him in any form. God never abandons you, even if it feels like otherwise.

This is called "dark night of the soul". You should read some biographies of saints, it has happened with most, if not all, of them. And you can see how their experience were and how they have dealt with it. Saint John of the Cross is one that wrote a lot about this subject, you should start looking for some books by him. :)

Well said. It was those dark times that helped strengthen the faith of many. Job being a prime example.  

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 1

It's not always the same for everyone, everyone will be tested on their faith, sooner or later.  This is the nature of love, that it be allowed the freedom to grow, though I disagree with you some on one aspect of this, part of the problem here is surrender, and everyone has to go though it, sooner or later.  But there is a joy that comes from learning to abide in His Presence beyond anything that can be put into words, though learning to do so can be hard or easy, depending on how deep our surrender is.  Maturity in the walk with Christ is something that all of us can reach, the key is Love..  Love the Lord with All your Heart and Soul and Strength and Mind.. and Love your neighbor as yourself.

• Brohoof 1

Is it weird that I'm Christian and like Cannibal Corpse?

I don't really know Cannibal Corpse, so I cannot give any specific commentaries about them. A quick Google search showed me that they are a death metal band, but that is about all that I know about them.

There are no rules at all about which music should Christians listen or not, and as far I know just listening to something is not sinful. However, when it comes to taste some stuff should be taken into account...

There are some musics that are outright blasphemous or just plain dirty, and you should ask yourself if it is of your best interest to listen and sing them. Even if you do not condone with what a music says, listening to the word of God and then listening to such songs is something that I would compare to having a dinner at the finest restaurant and afterwards eating something from the garbage bin. Strictly speaking, this is not immoral, it is just very disgusting. 

I am not saying that the musics of that band you mentioned are like that. It is just something to take into account. Even though one's musical tastes aren't sinful by themselves, it will not harm to take into account what things are of your best interest to listen.

Edited by Sunwalker
  • Brohoof 2

I'm with in agreement with the above post, I have no idea what the band there is like or what their songs are about, I'd only add the following to what Sunwalker has said above, from the prospective of following what we are taught in the Word of God: 

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Philippians 4:8

• Brohoof 1

Is it weird that I'm Christian and like Cannibal Corpse?

No, I don't think it's weird. There are musics that have questionable lyrics, but have very good rhythm and tune. It is possible to enjoy the music and band, without approving of what is said in the lyrics. 

I'm with in agreement with the above post, I have no idea what the band there is like or what their songs are about, I'd only add the following to what Sunwalker has said above, from the prospective of following what we are taught in the Word of God: 

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Philippians 4:8

sig-4399790.sig-4399790.0f2bbe4b6b0049f4

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 5

It is important to remember that the Christian faith is not supposed to be a feelgood experience in order to be valid. Strictly speaking, it does not require you to feel a thing. It is not wrong per se to have a good feeling about it, but the problem will start when someone just follows God for the sake of feeling good. This is a selfish reason, one should not do that for the sake of personal gain. Besides that, some strong emotions might divert the attention away from God, which is what matters the most. That is why when someone starts maturing on faith then God might temporarily make his presence as sensible as before, so you can learn to seek God instead of the comfort that comes from him. You no longer feel the same peace and joy as in the beginning, it practically feels like God had abandoned you. That is when you need to learn to trust God, even though you cannot perceive Him in any form. God never abandons you, even if it feels like otherwise.This is called "dark night of the soul". You should read some biographies of saints, it has happened with most, if not all, of them. And you can see how their experience were and how they have dealt with it. Saint John of the Cross is one that wrote a lot about this subject, you should start looking for some books by him. :)

Thank You Sunwalker! I was actually going through this for the past few days and I wasn't sure how to feel about this or what to do. I guess reading this brought me closure. Thank you.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Thank You Sunwalker! I was actually going through this for the past few days and I wasn't sure how to feel about this or what to do. I guess reading this brought me closure. Thank you.

You are welcome!

I am very happy to hear that! I am glad I could be of assistance. I am just a servant of the Lord, and I am sure that He has used me to reach you :)

If you want to talk more about the faith, have some doubts, or just want to chat, feel free to send me a private message ^_^.

See you around!

Edited by Sunwalker

I can't remember if I ever posted in this thread or not before, but it gives me great joy to know that there are other Christian Bronies out there after all.  Also @ChB  Thanks for the new PC Background :D

• Brohoof 3

Was wine in the Bible alcoholic or was it just grape juice? A lot of Christians I know say drinking alcohol is a sin but then im like " well jesus drank wine" and then their like "it wasnt wine it was grape juice" but then im like " well how did people get drunk then? Noah got drunk and laid down in his tent"

Was wine in the Bible alcoholic or was it just grape juice? A lot of Christians I know say drinking alcohol is a sin but then im like " well jesus drank wine" and then their like "it wasnt wine it was grape juice" but then im like " well how did people get drunk then? Noah got drunk and laid down in his tent"

I don't believe drinking alcohol is a sin, but neither is it a particularly good idea, because it's unhealthy, is addicting, and if you're under the influence, you're not in your right mind, so to speak. Here are two different pages on the subject of wine or grape juice.

http://www.tektonics.org/lp/nowine.php

https://www.gci.org/series/alcohol/bible

I am a christian as well, to clarify. :)

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe drinking alcohol is a sin, but neither is it a particularly good idea, because it's unhealthy, is addicting, and if you're under the influence, you're not in your right mind, so to speak. Here are two different pages on the subject of wine or grape juice.

http://www.tektonics.org/lp/nowine.php

https://www.gci.org/series/alcohol/bible

I am a christian as well, to clarify. :)

Thank you friend. The second article in particular really cleared stuff up for me.

Got a bit of discussion for you guys.

What translation of the Bible do you prefer? Personally, I love the NIV. Its wording appeals to me. Not really a fan of the classic King James Version

I grew up on KJV myself, and I like the fact that the wording makes it easier to remember, but I don't have a lot of experience with other versions. When I see a quote from one it's a little jarring, actually, due to it being so different. :)

• Brohoof 1