Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nightmare Moon vs Discord vs Chrysalis vs Sombra

Zalgo

The Mane Six has fought many foes in the past, some more formidable than others...

But the most powerful of them all, by far, have been those that appear in the season premieres. (and season 2's finale)

img-1059772-1-ponysketch___nightmare_moo

Like Nightmare Moon, goddes of the night and the banished sister of princess Celestia...

img-1059772-2-game__s_over__my_little_po

...Discord, the god of chaos and disharmony...

img-1059772-3-chrysalis_the_dark_queen_b

...Chrysalis, queen of the changelings...

img-1059772-4-king_sombra_by_silverkiwi7

...and King Sombra, the dark magic wielding Unicorn who singlehandedly enslaved an entire empire.

Who would win in a battle to the death with no outside help, and no mercy?

In this battle, Queen Chrysalis will be allowed 5 of her Changelings.

Nightmare Moon

"analysis" will be posted soon

Also, I'd like to put this out there:

NMM managed to capture Celestia in under ten seconds after being freed

Discord

While Discord has the power to easily do whatever he wants, his personality keeps him from doing so. He is very playful and only does the things he does for entertainment, instead of actually wanting to conquer or destroy the world. Because of this, he gives his opponents too many fair chances and remains oblivious when they gain the upper hand, which was what led to his defeat by the mane six.

Queen Chrysalis

"Analysis" will be posted soon.

King Sombra

A lot of people seem to underestimate King Sombra, which is understandable. After all, he didn't get the chance to do much. 

Let's look at Sombra's known powers and traits:

-Can turn into an intangible, shadowy form

-Can create illusions of pony's worst fears. 

-Can prevent someone from using magic

-Can cast spells that make someone suddenly become extremely afraid

-Has tons of other unknown spells 

tumblr_mduylhQHRM1ry8es5o1_500.png

So far, I'm still deciding. Discord would surely win if it wasn't for his personality.

All I'm going to say right now, is that Chrysalis would be stomped.

Edited by Zalgo
  • Brohoof 1

Discord's nearly omnipotent, is a spirit unlike the other three, and has been shown that only the Elements of Harmony can seemingly stop him. He wins in the end simply because the others don't have the capability to use the EoH on him, and he can safely toy with them until he grows bored and finishes the fight. End-o-story.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 1

I would say Discord. Although he has a playful personality, only the elements of harmony were able to stop him, because they are the complete opposite of what he stands for. He's practically a god, and could easily beat Chrysalis and Sombra. Him vs. NMM would be interesting, though.

Discord because he is a little too OP. Even against the Elements of Harmony because he could just discord them just like that and screw up their minds. While NMM isn't really all that powerful. Chrysalis really only has powers in numbers and nothing else and Sombra....Well hes more or less dangerous than NMM

Discord can win this one because, only the Elements of Harmony can beat him, but since the other three don't have the EoH, they can't beat him, plus he will mess with their minds. Easy as Pie.

Discord really does win this one pretty easily. 

With that said if we were talking personally favorite villains I would still give the honor to discord. 

He's by far been the most interesting of the lot so far, with King Sombra being the least interesting (Since they really didn't give him much plot or anything to say).

Everyone else at least had some development but not enough to make them truly memorable like discord.

Also John De Lancie for the voice was excellent.

This is such an unfair fight for all the other villains, sure they are all dangerous but Discord will just toy with them until he gets bored and finishes them off.

Discord most likely. His only know weakness is the Elements of Harmony which only the mane six can use. Though it would probably be a long battle just so discord could mess with everyone until he got bored and decided to just get on with life and take over equestria

Edited by Mellow

Discord. Even if the others teamed up on him, he'd be too much. His powers are limitless, and only the elements of harmony can defeat him. Even so, discord could disable the elements and/or hide them as seen when he corrupted the mane six.

EDIT: On second thought, Chrysalis would be able to beat Discord if she won his love. Just a thought.

Edited by Azurepony4269

Discord should win, no contest. As others have mentioned, only the elements can beat him and since none of the other baddies can use them, he literally can't lose. He was the biggest threat by far when he was just playing around, I shudder to think of what he could do if he was serious.

Nightmare Moon takes second place. While only the elements could beat her, Discord's reality bending powers should be more than enough to put her down, and god help her if he gets serious. 

Sombra wins the bronze, as he could threaten an entire city/empire by himself while Chrysalis had to rely on subversion and power-jacking to even stand a chance of taking Canterlot. 

So only chrysalis doesn't get a medal since she's so outclassed that's it's not even funny. Her five changelings are not going to make a difference and I'd be surprised if she lasted more than a minute. 

Well, if Discord decides to use his powers to its full extent them I'm sure he could probably easily win. If he still toys around like he normally does then I don't know if he would be able to.

However he also is impossible to do anything to it seems without the elements of harmony, so I don't really know how he'd ever lose even if he never wanted to win.

I think Sombre would come in second, because he seems to have quiet alot of power with all of his control over dark magic.

3rd would be hard to think about, heres the thing, Chrysilias is powered by the power of love, which she feeds off to get power. So if there isn't any love she would probably be quiet week, her minions wouldn't really be able to do much either. If she had a source to feed off, she may be able to beat Nightmare moon for 3rd. Otherwise not.

I like to think that Discord had reality bending powers which would be god like. The only reason he lost is because he is more of a mischief maker then being an actual force of evil. If he wa to use The full extent of this powers he would have the upper hand.

I like to think of Discord as an evil version of the genie from Aladin. Dispite his finiminal cosmic powers! he uses them to enjoy himself. The only difference with Discord and the genie is that Discord has no problem causing others to be miserable.

Discord. He can just do whatever. I mean, who can compete with chocolate rain. CHOCOLATE RAIN!

In my opinion, Chrysalis would be worst in the battle, because she can only reach the extent of her power by consuming love, of which I doubt there would be any in the midst of a battle of such feared creatures.

Okay, seeing as Discord does kinda kick everyone's ass, here's another question.

Who would win out of Nightmare Moon, Chrysalis or Sombra?

Discord is a literal reality warper. He can do whatever he wants. I feel like it's not really his personality, it's that he went easy on the ponies, since he felt like they weren't much of a threat. But when faced with 3 other villains that are quite clearly very dangerous and actually pose a threat, he'd probably realize he shouldn't just toy around. In that situation, there's hardly any way he couldn't win.

Out of the other 3, I think I'm leaning the most towards Sombra, or maybe Nightmare Moon. NMM has shapeshifting powers, the ability to possess numerous things, create numerous possessed things, and summon lightning bolts out of nowhere. Sombra has the power of fear, the ability to incapacitate anypony who looks inside a door for an indeterminate amount of time- and there's no saying that the spell on that door is just limited to being put on entrances- the capability to enslave an entire race of ponies, and was such a ruthless, hate-filled ruler that the mere mention of him makes his former subjects turn to a pile of shaking jelly.

Chrysalis, though, along with the obvious shapeshifting, has mind control. I think that could be a big turnaround for her if she uses it right, or, say, one of the villains foolishly decides to go on an evil monologue before crushing her into ash.

TL;DR: I think out of all of them, Sombra is the most likely. He's a big, imposing, mindless, furious wall of black smoke that will kill and enslave you in ten seconds flat.

Edited by Snowfeathers

All war is deception, Sun Tzu said so and he wrote a book on the art of warfare, but what do I know? So I'll say this about Chrysalis. She might technically be the weakest as far as magic concerns, but her ability to command a willing force shouldn't be taken lightly.

Edited by SrFrog

I think that given prep time (like she did when she replaced Cadence) Chrysalis would probably win.  She's able to absorb enough love that it's able to make her even more powerful than Celestia.  That cannot be forgotten. 

• 11 months later...

My Opinion:

If we go for pure Power and Ability, Discord would clearly win. But then we don't think about his Personality. Maybe he wouldn't want to use his powers to their full extent, so he may not win, but no one of the others would be able to do anything to him, so he would probably get bored and go away to have more fun.

If this is the case, just the three others would remain. Chrysalis would be defeated very fast, because she couldn't harnest any Love from one of the others, and the 5 Changelings won't help her either. If she could harnest Love from anywhere, she would maybe be able to overpower Nightmare Moon and King Sombra, but Discord is a Spirit, or in other words a God, so she wouldn't come even close to his powers.

If King Sombra or Nightmare Moon would get the 2nd place, I can't really tell. Nightmare Moon is very powerful and would probably be able to defeat Celestia, but King Sombra was able to get total control over an empire and has immense dark Powers, even when we don't really know much about him.

So at first Discord would play with the three others. When he gets bored, he would go away and either Nightmare Moon or King Sombra would defeat Chrysalis, and in the end the two would battle until one of them has won, again we can't be sure about who is the better fighter.

Edited by LordEguk

Isn't Sombra also a spirit now (technically a shadow really), short of not being near the crystal heart he's not even solid and in that form he is pretty formidable. How effective would discord's magic be against that?

The reverse is also true, sombra's darker magics use the fears of his opponents. Besides the EoH, discord fears nothing...

except bordom... and maybe, possibly, Fluttershy,

Well, in the end of S3E2 he got a normal unicorn again, which could mean that he is weaker in his shadow form than as a unicorn. But Discord's magic isn't a beam or something like the other's, he just snips with his finger and its there so he could even harm Sombra in his shadow form.

I agree that discord fears nothing, probably not even the Elements of Harmony. He has been around for such a long time, probably even he has developed some kind of harmony so if he wanted to, he couldn't be defeated by the EoH. But he just isn't motivated to do so. In S2E1 he even said that he quite liked it to be turned to stone.

except bordom... and maybe, possibly, Fluttershy

Good one  :lol:

Isn't Sombra also a spirit now (technically a shadow really), short of not being near the crystal heart he's not even solid and in that form he is pretty formidable. How effective would discord's magic be against that?

The reverse is also true, sombra's darker magics use the fears of his opponents. Besides the EoH, discord fears nothing...

except bordom... and maybe, possibly, Fluttershy,

I'm pretty sure Discord's magic could still trump smoke monster Sombra because of the fact he is the embodiment of chaos and Sombra, even as smoke monster, is just a cursed pony or whatever his whole story is. Been awhile since I watched Sombra ramble on about crystals and slaves. Point is, he could just snap his fingers and turn smokey Sombra into cotton candy or something.

• 7 months later...

I think King Sombra would win. Discord is, I think, the most powerful, but he's too playful and probably wouldn't take the fight seriously enough. Chrysalis's main strength is the numbers of the Changelings. Nightmare Moon underestimates the power of others, but King Sombra cuts right to the chase. He doesn't take shortcuts. He knows what he wants and he's going to get it. I think that would be best in a fight to the death.