Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books The Book Thread

Octavia2

Well of course the first couple of pages are boring! You have to get past them to get into the good stuff,

I've never been too much of a reader, so if a book doesn't start off interesting I usually give up unless it's some kind of mandatory or necessary reading :P

So how much of a book do you ponies read a day?...I usually try to go for 25-50 pages.

I don't read novels too terribly often, but when I do... hundred pages or so. Typically if a book interests me enough to read, I'll go through it in 1-3 sittings.

I don't read novels too terribly often, but when I do... hundred pages or so. Typically if a book interests me enough to read, I'll go through it in 1-3 sittings.

I've never been good at reading even my favorite books for extended periods of time...eventually I lose focus and will daydream while reading D:

I just finished reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It was pretty good. A bit trippy at times, but good. Now I would like to read something light. I'm trying to decide between sci fi short stories (maybe Ray Bradbury) or fantasy comedy (maybe Discworld).

I've never been much a reader at all, and it's not cause I hate reading or anything. I have a great imagination so when I read a book I easily get a visual of the whole story, but the problem is I have TOO much of an imagination. Within reading about five pages my own mind takes over and I lose the whole book. Then eventually I come back to reality and find that I've traversed 50 more pages and haven't got a clue what happened inbetween.

So I don't read books, but that's okay it gives me more time for other things anyways ^_^

Soo I'm not the only one who believes their imagination is just too powerful to pay attention to a book! :D

Anyway for the above reason I don't read a lot... though when I do read I prefer things that are a little more obscure.

Such as I am currently reading Mogworld by my favorite video games journalist Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw of The Escapist's Zero Punctuation (Video Game Reviews). He is FUCKING hilarious and also extremely intelligent when it comes to video games. (he even makes a few freeware games I haven't got to playing) And now I got a hold of his first Novel...

post-461-0-96593900-1322715118_thumb.jpg

Mogworld is a novel that satires the MMO worlds of World Of Warcraft. However instead of our main character being a playable hero he is an NPC. The main character (who is named Jim because he cannot remember his name) is a Mage in a Mage School... er was a Mage. Jim is killed when his school is destroyed by monsters. Years later he is resurrected by a Necromancer who wants to make an army of undead. Things have changed since Jim was alive and the main change is that people cannot die, instead they respawn at churches with new bodies. Jim tries to kill himself so he can rest in peace but keeps being resurrected into his old corpse. So starts Jim's valiant quest to uncover the strange mysteries of this future and more importantly die... for good this time!

This is actually a very well written novel that has it's twists and turns. Even if you aren't into MMOs it still makes fun at medieval fantasy worlds as a whole! It's probably the only book I've read where the main character wants to die which has some humor in itself. Also if you like zombies, well then this ones probably the only book where you have a fully functional and well personalized zombie as your hero! :P

Is anyone here possible a fan of Erin Hunter's books? :) They're my favorites! I also REALLY love The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart, Kathryn Lasky's Guardians of Ga'Hoole and Wolves of the Beyond, Waggit's Tale, Swordbird (a really inspiring book, because the author started it at ten and got published when she was twelve-years-old! I am thirteen, a writing a book I would really hope to publish, so I must say this makes me really hopeful...)

I am re-reading Stephen King's The Shining right now. He's one of my favorite authors.

Before that (like 2 days ago) I re-read Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (another of my favorite authors.) To the person who said they liked this book, I HIGHLY recommend picking up some of her other books!

Before that I read Bioshock:Rapture which was actually pretty good, I wish they had more books.

Perhaps read the Narnia books?

I like the Narnia books a lot, I periodically re-read the series. I would suggest reading them in the original order and not chronological order which some of the newer versions are packaged in. It's much much better that way IMO.

If you like that I would also recommend The Dark is Rising series, it's really good and includes some interesting historical/mythological (Welsh/English) stuff too.

So how much of a book do you ponies read a day?...I usually try to go for 25-50 pages.

I read until I fall asleep. ^_^ I don't have a lot of time to read during the day so I read when I go to bed and I just keep reading till I fall asleep...

Is anyone here possible a fan of Erin Hunter's books? :) They're my favorites!

I've read a few of hers, they were pretty good.

I just finished reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It was pretty good. A bit trippy at times, but good. Now I would like to read something light. I'm trying to decide between sci fi short stories (maybe Ray Bradbury) or fantasy comedy (maybe Discworld).

Did you know that the House on the Rock is a real place? It is really weird but it's amazing and crazy! I went there a few years ago, unfortunately it was BEFORE I had read the book but oh well (I'd been there before also, when I was younger...)

I took a video of the carousel while I was there (it's just like they describe in the book):

Oh, that's awesome Neko-Chan, which of Erin Hunter's books did you read? :D I recommend them all! Each are full of awesome characters, action, and if you like that--I do, lol-- romance.

Oh, that's awesome Neko-Chan, which of Erin Hunter's books did you read? :D I recommend them all! Each are full of awesome characters, action, and if you like that--I do, lol-- romance.

I read the first 3 of the Warriors books. They reminded me of the book Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams so if you like Warriors I'd recommend that book. I think Erin Hunter might have read that too heh... Also The Wild Road and The Golden Cat by Gabriel King are good and somewhat similar to that series. Edited by Neko-Chan

I've heard of all those books you listed, and have been wanting to read them! ^_^ I also want to try out Varjak Paw, but I will have to order it because it's UK-only and I am in America. And getting something online, is kind of a hassle. If I want to do it my parents never get around to it, except if it's for a birthday or Christmas. A couple of times we've done eBay, but only once was there something on Amazon that I wanted and my parents eventually got to it. And then, it never arrived. DX You should read more, because in my opinion, SkyClan's Destiny, Crookedstar's Promise, The Darkest Hour and Moonrise are the best! :D

Books eh? Been a while since I've discussed books...ponies these days never read it seems. My favorite genre is Fantasy/adventure. I make some exceptions of mystery and Sci-fi. I don't like Romance novels. I am currenty reading 4 books. Solitary Witch by Silver Ravenwolf, Respect for Acting by Uta Hagen, The Empty Space by Peter Brook, and Audition by Micheal Shurtleff. The first book by Raven Silverwolf is a book I go to for reference in my studies of my religion as my learning never ends. Ever. And the other 3 books are books on acting.

My favorite book series is Lord of the Rings and the prequel books of it. I loved the setting, atmosphere, poems and language, and the characters. And the obvious good vs evil part of the book was wonderful in my opinion. I loved the detail in that book, however sometimes it felt a bit dry when it would go on and on about the scenery. But it added on I am sure of it. I am looking forward to the Hobbit movie, and I hope it keeps more true to the books, then the LotR movies did with their books.

I also recommend the acting books I listed for anyone perusing the acting profession. They are simply mind blowingly amazing! And for any Wiccans, Silver Ravenwolf produces many good quality books defiantly worth reading over.

Edited by Hayze

I don't like books centered completely around romance, but I like it in stories as long as they have plenty of action, adventure, interesting characters and preferably a bit of mystery

I don't like books centered completely around romance, but I like it in stories as long as they have plenty of action, adventure, interesting characters and preferably a bit of mystery

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. Romance is fine and all. I just don't like Romance novels. However, the growth between the relationships of characters is always interesting and welcome in any book I read.

Finished The Sable Quean (one of the Redwall books) a couple days ago. It started out kinda boring but it got really good, especially near the end. Brian Jacques continues to be my favorite author. :P

Started on The Rogue Crew which is the next book after The Sable Quean. This one started out way better and hasn't lost much steam, plus one of it's main groups (every Redwall book focuses on like three different main groups in the story that eventually come together) is my favorite: The Long Patrol. I love these guys and gals a lot, always my favorite.

Still dunno what I'm gonna read afterward though. lol

I could always go for the second book in the Flying Dutchman series since I haven't read that yet but I do also have like four unread books in the Redwall series. I do need to expand my horizons in books but why do that when I've got so many in a series I love to read! xD