Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gym goers and such

MrMammal

So I was just curious if anybody else out there loves going to the gym. Whether it be for lifting, cardio, circuit, etc. I am a personal trainer and gym nut and was just wondering who else enjoys working out. Also if you don't like it but do it maybe I can help motivate you? Hoping to swap motivational material and workouts and such with others! Or if you are looking to start working out maybe I can help?

I'm also going to try and post a daily motivator! Something to help inspire you to be great today!

post-11968-0-48579700-1367511920.jpg

Edited by MrMammal
  • Brohoof 7

I just started going to the gym about three weeks ago, and I'm nearly at my first weight goal... but I don't have a set workout when I go in there yet.  I just kinda "uhhh okay let's do this" for an hour or so. <.<

• Brohoof 2

cool idea for this topic...

I actually could pretty much use some advice. I am more the runner type, let´s say... I got a good condition (distance, marathon, cross-running) but I´m having a hard time gaining weight (lack of motivation xD, maybe). I have a few weights lying around but I don´t use them much, I enjoy being outside more...

• Brohoof 1

I actually could pretty much use some advice. I am more the runner type, let´s say... I got a good condition (distance, marathon, cross-running) but I´m having a hard time gaining weight (lack of motivation xD, maybe). I have a few weights lying around but I don´t use them much, I enjoy being outside more...

You'll need to prioritize your general routine. Running isn't typically conducive for muscle building, so it will be difficult to gain weight while doing a lot of marathon and distance running.

You could try to combine some of your cardio routine with strength training. As an example, the burpee is a terrific exercise which works the whole body yet does not require weights. To really put on some weight, however, you'll likely need to adjust your diet for protein intake to foster muscle growth.

• Brohoof 3

I don't have a membership, but I love to work out. Every time I go to a hotel, I use the weight room at least once. I have a bench in my garage, and I use it whenever I can. I don't need a treadmill, I have he outside for that. :)

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 1

yea kinda like thereisnospoon said that much running actually has your body in a catabolic state majority of the time. There is a reason why all the marathon runners and such look so skinny. You can still put on some muscle but you are gonna see big increases in size because the muscles you are training and mostly using are just there to run, low stress, large endurance. The type2 fibers(used for shorter burst on strength such as lifting) won't be activated.

I used to go there, I had a really good development. Everything was pretty good but I really hate the radio that is  playing in there all the time. And after a while I made a decision and I stopped going there in order to save some money because there were more immediate needs.

I will start working out at home soon. I was doing it but later I decided to study instead. I really got good results so better start again soon :P

Edit: The bad thing is, I never really studied.

Edited by Hitpony

LIFTING IS GOOD, I DO IT ALOT. SOMETIMES I RUN TOO, BUT REALLY LIFTING IS THE BEST BECAUSE IT LETS YOU GET BIG AND STUFF, AND IT MAKES YOU LOOK GOOD FOR THE LADIES  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Edited by Twiliscael

For those who can't afford or don't want gym memberships I know an endless supply of body weight exercises that don't even require any money spent at all. Also with resistance bands and stability balls (which are cheap) you can have a ton more workouts so consider that if the gym isn't for you!

What exercises would you recommend to a 16/17-ish(I don't know my own birthday. My parents never told me) 5.9'' fat depressed kid who will throw himself into just about anything, with determination, motivation and a must-succeed failure-is-not-an-option attitude?

For those who can't afford or don't want gym memberships I know an endless supply of body weight exercises that don't even require any money spent at all. Also with resistance bands and stability balls (which are cheap) you can have a ton more workouts so consider that if the gym isn't for you!

Hmm, I just do basic things such as push ups, core exercises, and I workout with dumbbells (Concentration curl, Dumbbell curls, shoulder press, triceps etc.) I made a nice program but still, if you have some good things to say I would like to hear it. 

Edited by Hitpony
  • Brohoof 1

i do a pushup routine twice a week to increase reps. do weighted sets on mondays and high rep sets on thrusdays. i like increasing reps because it is fun to try and get more and quite an easy goal.

What exercises would you recommend to a 16/17-ish(I don't know my own birthday. My parents never told me) 5.9'' fat depressed kid who will throw himself into just about anything, with determination, motivation and a must-succeed failure-is-not-an-option attitude?

well what weight are we talking? If you want you can reply or pm me. Have you been active lately? I would suggest a basic stabilization starting point using simple body weight exercises. This with an improved diet would give you good results fairly quickly.

Hmm, I just do basic things such as push ups, core exercises, and I workout with dumbbells (Concentration curl, Dumbbell curls, shoulder press, triceps etc.) I made a nice program but still, if you have some good things to say I would like to hear it. 

Just make sure that your given yourself ample rest between same muscle groups. Also pull-ups are great if you can do thing. Try doing squats and dead lifts with heavy stuff that is around (but not to heavy and make sure you are using proper form to prevent injury) Also anymore info on your program?

On 2013-02-14 at 2:43 PM, Your Friend said:

Hah, I'm pretty much the same.

Edited by Railrunner

I have been doing weight lifting and some cardio on and off since high school and for a while I became a monster I was able to bench 350 pounds and leg press 1200 pounds. A few years ago I lost a bit of weight, I went down from 350 pounds to 280 pounds but gained it back after getting a few too many knee injuries at work. I am still quite a bit stronger than your average person but I am like a newborn child compared to where I was before, I plan to lose 100 pounds and once again unleash my inner monster.

• Brohoof 1

People keep telling me that if I started working out and lifting, I'd bulk up fast since I have a good body type for it.

Ninety-seven characters.

I'm jealous :( I wish I had that kind of bodytype haha I tall skinny and a hard gainer. I'm about to break 200lbs though which I'm excited for. Next stop 215! Also my goals all involve me ~10% body fat or less so it's hard to gainer lean body mass 

well what weight are we talking? If you want you can reply or pm me. Have you been active lately? I would suggest a basic stabilization starting point using simple body weight exercises. This with an improved diet would give you good results fairly quickly.

Just make sure that your given yourself ample rest between same muscle groups. Also pull-ups are great if you can do thing. Try doing squats and dead lifts with heavy stuff that is around (but not to heavy and make sure you are using proper form to prevent injury) Also anymore info on your program?

I work chest first day, lots of push ups. Sometimes I add some depth with dumbbells. Haven't been working out for a while so I just started out. I did like 90 push ups. 

Second day is for shoulder exercise. I do push ups for getting warm and then I make shoulder dumbbell press. Do a bit more push ups if I can and end.

Third day is for arm exercises. After getting warm dumbbell curl, concentration curl and triceps. Do a bit more push ups if I can.

Nothing much in forth day. I guess I can try out dead lifts and squats.

I might repeat the program in fifth day or just rest. I will consider later.

I'm thinking about getting a pull up bar and I do ab exercises everyday.

I LOVE working out. I do every weekday, for at least an hour. I use the school's weightlifting center since it is both really nice and free. Here are my stats if any one cares to see...

Current age:17 weight: 115

Bench: 115

squat:185

Cling: 120

Jerk: 75

Incline: 135

Front squat: 165

All of these are 4 sets of 6. Not all that great, but being underweight doesn't help.

snip

lol, actually I am the 2nd smallest guy in the school, so it is funny to see people's faces when Im half their size but am doing double their weight. Im 5'5 btw. Edited by Retro✮Derpy
  • Brohoof 1

I work chest first day, lots of push ups. Sometimes I add some depth with dumbbells. Haven't been working out for a while so I just started out. I did like 90 push ups. 

Second day is for shoulder exercise. I do push ups for getting warm and then I make shoulder dumbbell press. Do a bit more push ups if I can and end.

Third day is for arm exercises. After getting warm dumbbell curl, concentration curl and triceps. Do a bit more push ups if I can.

Nothing much in forth day. I guess I can try out dead lifts and squats.

I might repeat the program in fifth day or just rest. I will consider later.

I'm thinking about getting a pull up bar and I do ab exercises everyday.

Do you do any chest press or fly with dumbbells?

Also for shoulders so front and lateral raises. Also shrugs. Don't just shoulder press.

Pull up bars are awesome unless you have like a tree outside with a branch you can reach haha.

Try to focus on activating all the muscles involved on your work outs. For example jsut doing shoulder press is create a muscular imbalance if you don't work out the other muscles that are involved.

I LOVE working out. I do every weekday, for at least an hour. I use the school's weightlifting center since it is both really nice and free. Here are my stats if any one cares to see...

Current age:17 weight: 115

Bench: 115

squat:185

Cling: 120

Jerk: 75

Incline: 135

Front squat: 165

All of these are 4 sets of 6. Not all that great, but being underweight doesn't help.

holy crap haha how tall are you? 115 is tiny!!

• Brohoof 1

Do you do any chest press or fly with dumbbells?

Also for shoulders so front and lateral raises. Also shrugs. Don't just shoulder press.

Pull up bars are awesome unless you have like a tree outside with a branch you can reach haha.

Try to focus on activating all the muscles involved on your work outs. For example jsut doing shoulder press is create a muscular imbalance if you don't work out the other muscles that are involved.

holy crap haha how tall are you? 115 is tiny!!

No, no flys and chest press. I don't have enough space to do flys or presses require a bench. Maybe I can try some standing flys for shoulders. Nice mentions, thanks. What do you think I can add more?

Edited by Hitpony

No, no flys and chest press. I don't have enough space to do flys or presses require a bench. Maybe I can try some standing flys for shoulders. Nice mentions, thanks. What do you think I can add now?

you can do both ont he floor with like a pillow or something. It will help ensure that you don't extend too far back which can be nice. Also it seems you are lacking some back, so perhaps bend over rows, (the pull ups), basic pull exercises