Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Twilight's transition to alicorn princess be permanent?

Commander_PonyShep

380 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think Twilight's princesshood be temporary or permanent?

• Temporary
    • Permanent

I disagree.  This is the kind of character evolution that should end a show, not carry it on.  As I've said before, there's no group struggle with everyone having balanced talents and abilities anymore.  It really destroys much of what many of us cherished about the show;  It eliminates the balance and takes away the main character's ambitions.

Agreed.

This should not have been done before the end. For the very reasons you state. That episode should have been the end.

But now that it is done, and that they will continue the series, I think it is a bad idea to undo it because it would invalidate her evolution/the entire point of the episode. I hate it, but it is canon now that Twilight is in the same level as Celestia and she is ready to do "princess stuff". Personally I think she doesn't even come close to the same level as Cadance, let alone Luna and Celestia (and it would be good because Twilight should be a nervous, studious librarian, not a ruler), but taking away her wings and title now would be worse than "staying the course".

(edited)

Agreed.

This should not have been done before the end. For the very reasons you state. That episode should have been the end.

But now that it is done, and that they will continue the series, I think it is a bad idea to undo it because it would invalidate her evolution/the entire point of the episode. I hate it, but it is canon now that Twilight is in the same level as Celestia and she is ready to do "princess stuff". Personally I think she doesn't even come close to the same level as Cadance, let alone Luna and Celestia (and it would be good because Twilight should be a nervous, studious librarian, not a ruler), but taking away her wings and title now would be worse than "staying the course".

I see your point.

The only thing is, I would rather have this be a little "bump" in the story-line (somehow finding a plot relevant way to revert her back) than a permanent "the main character has now practically ascended to godhood, rendering there no more future conflicts."

...  Or it would be nice if she was actually somehow dreaming of all of this.  (Put into a trance by the unseen villian of the end of season 3.)  That would be cool AND artistic.

Edited by John

I see your point.

The only thing is, I would rather have this be a little "bump" in the story-line (somehow finding a plot relevant way to revert her back) than a permanent "the main character has now practically ascended to godhood, rendering there no more future conflicts."

...  Or it would be nice if she was actually somehow dreaming of all of this.  (Put into a trance by the unseen villian of the end of season 3.)  That would be cool AND artistic.

Do you see how the Mane Six have saved Equestria more than once and yet nopony seems to acknowledge this? True, there are windows showing them in the throne room, but ponies don't seem to care, even ponies who lived through Nigmare Moon's return and Discord's return don't care who they are. Heck... Blueblood should have been begging for Rariy's attention in the gala.

The same is going to happen with Twilight being a princess. She is just going to keep living her life, facing the same problems as before. The only thing that will change is that she will be able to fly. Characters are just going to ignore that she is anything more than she was before. Gee... Twilight was already something important in the first episode: Celestia's personal student. Is it dumb? Yes. But it was already dumb before, but it never mattered. And shouldn't matter now.

TL;DR: nothing is going to change.

I see your point.

I disagree with your view, but I like your idea. (Well, I like my idea, but it's very similar to yours. ;))What a mindscrew it would be if it turned out that Twilight never woke up from the nightmare she was having due to King Sombra's evil magic door, and that her real fear is not disappointing Celestia, but instead becoming too important or powerful and having to leave her friends behind. It would be an awesome twist.

Although I don't view Celestia and Luna as goddesses. A goddess wouldn't lose to Chrysalis like Celestia did. They're long-lived and they are powerful in magic, but not literally goddesses (Yes, yes, I know some characters say things like "For Celestia's sake" or "As Celestia is my witness". But even if some characters viewed them as goddesses, doesn't automatically make them so.) After all, totally normal unicorns used to make the sun and moon rise, so their abilities don't make them goddesses either.

Do you see how the Mane Six have saved Equestria more than once and yet nopony seems to acknowledge this? True, there are windows showing them in the throne room, but ponies don't seem to care, even ponies who lived through Nigmare Moon's return and Discord's return don't care who they are. Heck... Blueblood should have been begging for Rariy's attention in the gala.

The same is going to happen with Twilight being a princess. She is just going to keep living her life, facing the same problems as before. The only thing that will change is that she will be able to fly. Characters are just going to ignore that she is anything more than she was before. Gee... Twilight was already something important in the first episode: Celestia's personal student. Is it dumb? Yes. But it was already dumb before, but it never mattered. And shouldn't matter now.

TL;DR: nothing is going to change.

I don't know... I hope you're wrong. Really. As much as I disliked Twilight's ascension, if all that comes of it is some princess stuff in the premiere and then everything goes back to normal except Twilight has wings, that's just not good enough in my opinion. Twilight's coronation is the biggest event in the series thus far, and if that changes nothing then it really will look like a Hasbro toy cash-in.

I hope that the writers can do what made me love the show in the first place. That is, take an idea that I'm not sure about (cartoon ponies/Twilicorn) and take it in a crazy direction that I could never have come up with, something that surprises me. And this is where the writers have a problem, since it seems that every brony has very different ideals for how the show should carry on, and it's going to be impossible to please everyone. Your comment might be a pleasing thought to some, but a worrying thought for others. In short, it doesn't matter what the writers do in season 4. Some people will inevitably hate it.

• Brohoof 2

I never thought about that,but now that i do think about it i think Twilight probaly didn't wanna be a princess.I mean,who would want to be a princess all of a sudden without even knowing or choosing that it was gonna happen?

I don't know... I hope you're wrong. Really. As much as I disliked Twilight's ascension, if all that comes of it is some princess stuff in the premiere and then everything goes back to normal except Twilight has wings, that's just not good enough in my opinion. Twilight's coronation is the biggest event in the series thus far, and if that changes nothing then it really will look like a Hasbro toy cash-in.

I hope that the writers can do what made me love the show in the first place. That is, take an idea that I'm not sure about (cartoon ponies/Twilicorn) and take it in a crazy direction that I could never have come up with, something that surprises me. And this is where the writers have a problem, since it seems that every brony has very different ideals for how the show should carry on, and it's going to be impossible to please everyone. Your comment might be a pleasing thought to some, but a worrying thought for others. In short, it doesn't matter what the writers do in season 4. Some people will inevitably hate it.

The thing is that it was a toy cash-in for Hasbro.

I get this silly image in my head that if Hasbro was a mining company, they started a mine to dig up iron but somewhere along the work the miners found a big gold veil. The miners are all excited about it, but the administration keeps saying "Nah.. We're only interested in the iron. We will make this enormous event to release or new iron product."

Anyway, I'm sure that the staff behind the show can make it work. And of course it will not please everyone. The problem is that Hasbro only sees dollar signs and will shove stuff to the fans instead of letting the producers work their magic and sell stuff that relates to the show. Instead they think of the episodes as 22 minute advertisements. It's just dumb in my opinion, but that's how their business works and screw this enormous fanbase they gathered. Loyal fans? Who needs them...

Damn, this sounded like a rant. Maybe I'm still pissed at this whole princess stuff and now there is this Equestria Girls coming up. It almost seems like they are doing this on purpose.

• Brohoof 1

To be truthful, I really don't think I will be permanent. She didn't seem to thrilled when Celestia told her her destiny to become a princess. Plus you have to do a lot of work as a princess. there is a high chance that she will dislike all work as a princess and demand to be changed back. Only my guess. :)

To be truthful, I really don't think I will be permanent. She didn't seem to thrilled when Celestia told her her destiny to become a princess. Plus you have to do a lot of work as a princess. there is a high chance that she will dislike all work as a princess and demand to be changed back. Only my guess. smile.png

I respectfully disagree. One of Twilight's main loves in life is studying and learning. That's why she seemed upset when she became an alicorn, because she feared that she would no longer be Celestia's student. I think she was more scared of the unknown, because it's been pretty well established that she is not a big fan of the unexpected, but with time, she can adapt easily.

As for the group dynamic, it's changed from 2 of each non-alicorn type to 3 flying and 3 non flying. A different set-up, but by no means unworkable. I think it will allow for more adventures, because while alicorns are powerful, they are not the strongest creatures in terms of raw power. Discord far outclasses them, and he's the only one of his kind that we know of.

• Brohoof 1

Sibsy gives some interesting details about the season 3 opener which can be found in the video below at 10:33 and 36:12.

I think It's safe assume that the issue of not fitting to be a princess will be brought up.

I still can't find any piece of information which would confirm or deny that the transformation is permanent. I tried to piece together all available information but I wasn't able to come up with a consistent theory.

I see no reason why her transition should be temporare. She's now an alicorn and Princess of Equestria, DEAL WITH IT. Re-transforming Twilight into a regular unicorn would be really illogical, MMC reveals the entire seasons 1, 2 and 3 were about her "hero's journey" ending with "rise into god-hood", see "The Hero's Journey" by J. Campbell.

@Tahirih

Just because there were clips from earlier episodes in MMC doesn't mean that it was planned all along. Writers had to throw it at the last moment so they didn't even though out what the spell was supposed to do(they were asked on Unicon).
Skip to 40:45

They would've made made clips the same way for the mane six. Not that they're not going to do it eventually.

Come to think we've seen Twilicorn only for less than 5 minutes and, surprisingly, people are already heavily invested in it despite having no idea which direction the show goes from this point.

Okay, first of all how did this get over 200 hundred replies?! There is no conceivable way ( unless Celestia's trolling her ) that Twilight will lose/give up her wings. There is no reason that she would do that and it wouldn't go over well with the fan base...Nuff said.

(edited)

@Tahirih

Just because there were clips from earlier episodes in MMC doesn't mean that it was planned all along. Writers had to throw it at the last moment so they didn't even though out what the spell was supposed to do(they were asked on Unicon).

Skip to 40:45

They would've made made clips the same way for the mane six. Not that they're not going to do it eventually.

Come to think we've seen Twilicorn only for less than 5 minutes and, surprisingly, people are already heavily invested in it despite having no idea which direction the show goes from this point.

I've been looking for that video! I knew someone (possibly even you) mentioned Larson not having an answer for the 'new magic' thing but I didn't know where the proof was. And now I have it!

I know I read somewhere that MMC was written way back in November 2011 and was planned all along, but if that's the case then I consider that to be worse than if they were forced to do it at the last moment. I disliked MMC enough as it is, but when the writer can't even explain something that (according to Celestia) was the reason she ascended, then that's just pathetic. Hell, I wouldn't even accept that from an amateur fanfic writer.

Okay, first of all how did this get over 200 hundred replies?! There is no conceivable way ( unless Celestia's trolling her ) that Twilight will lose/give up her wings. There is no reason that she would do that and it wouldn't go over well with the fan base...Nuff said.

I think a lot of the theories about it being temporary consider scenarios where Twilight becomes distressed by princess life, or of being privileged over her friends and decides to forge her own destiny, something different from what Celestia wants for her. I think it'd be a really interesting concept since we haven't really seen Twilight turn against her mentor, and it would lead to some emotional scenes where both Celestia and Twilight have a serious dilemma, and are torn between their own personal feelings and their desire to make the other one happy.

Still, I don't believe that would ever happen, especially since Faust's original plan was for Twilight to become Celestia's successor. (I personally dislike Faust's idea but whatever, it's practically inevitable)

Edited by Ficta_Scriptor
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
I've been looking for that video! I knew someone (possibly even you) mentioned Larson not having an answer for the 'new magic' thing but I didn't know where the proof was. And now I have it!   I know I read somewhere that MMC was written way back in November 2011 and was planned all along, but if that's the case then I consider that to be worse than if they were forced to do it at the last moment. I disliked MMC enough as it is, but when the writer can't even explain something that (according to Celestia) was the reason she ascended, then that's just pathetic. Hell, I wouldn't even accept that from an amateur fanfic writer.

I mentioned it, but back than I didn't know when exactly was that question in that video so I later come back to it to locate this part and transcribe it. I think it was worth it. 

I listen carefully to lots of podcasts and interviews so I keep myself up to date. Audio/video interview are much more valuable than tweets because writers don't have much time to prepare answers and dodge questions. Also you can read their initial reactions and intonations. There're a lot information to process, analyse and categorize and I don't have enough time to do it and I'm having trouble reading expressions and intonations due to being not social enough.

BTW, It's not the first time, I posted this video.

Edited by MadPointer

Well the thing is I would have my doubts and wait, but given the huge amount of toys, official art and whatnot given by hasbro already I would say the change is pretty permanent, hasbro wouldn´t put so much effort in a short therm change of twilight

I think that it will be a permanent change because The company that runs MLP (i think it is Hasbro) would probably get allot of flack for making her a alicorn then undoing that. Two having a princess as a caricter will allow for a lot of conflict and will make the series have allot more lessons about friendship like managing duties and friendships. Three they had the hole series leading up to her crowing (despite what i have read the hole series has been leading up to this episode) and that is something that they probably don't want to undo

I have't read through all the posts here, but honestly I'm surprised at how many people (~40%) think that this is temporary. In my mind there is zero probability of Twilight losing her wings. After all that fulfilling your destiny stuff they're just going to be like, "NOPE, JUST KIDDING"?

Well. Here's my opinion on that :) I am pretty sure it's gonna be permanent. I mean, I can't see why not. 

It's not really a bad thing that it is permanent (If it is.) What I mean by that is. The only difference is the fact that she has wings, and quite powerfull spells, and that's probably gonna be fun to watch. You know, Twily flying and all :) And watching her use powerfull magic, and brag so much infront of Trixe (if she comes back) And there's the princess thing. I'm pretty sure, that she won't be princess of Equestria, that'll probably be the end of the series :) I think she'll be a princess, just a princess like Cadance before being princess of Crystal Empire :)

And what's with all the people saying Twilight now has godlike power? She's practically a god-in-training as it is. And if it doesn't seem that way to anyone else, well, I suppose that goes to show how much of a "god" an alicorn is.

(edited)
she did say that alicornosity is here to stay.

Where did she say that?

I've been following multiple sources trying to find out as much information as possible but I wasn't able to find any piece of information which would deny or confirm that it's permanent.

The MLP:FIM crew had every opportunity to tell it which would reassure Twilicorn supporters and would bring a closure for these who don't like Twilicorn. Instead they they prefer to keep it a mystery and answer questions dodging the main questions. "Twilight will not outlive her friends" doesn't answer whether or not she is immortal. For example, the whole mane six might become immoral or they might bring back Twilight. The only thing which is safe to say is "writers want to surprise us".

Edited by MadPointer

For the first I got a solid indication that Twilicorn is permanent.

It appears writers are going to downplay the significance of the coronation in MMC rendering it pointless with the only purpose to push new toys. There's not going to be a lot of Twilicorn focused episodes.

0b2.png