Finesthour

I really feel like buying a n64 to relive the greatest games ever.

If they are Sega games you can get them for Xbox360 if they are included in the Sega Ultimate Collection or whatever it is called. Thats how I play Vectorman without the original console ^_^

The mods in doom made it likw a completly newgame.

Did you ever play the alien mod?

Yes, I did.

For being the first TC ever made for Doom, it still holds up extremely well for being made about 17 years ago. The gameplay's also very innovative for its time, with its different objectives for different levels, like in level 3 you have to close all the doors to stop the aliens from getting you. Gives a really strong feeling of peril that one mistake can outright kill you if you're not careful.

Doom is my all-time favorite game. The amount of mods and maps made for it, as well as the several different source-ports for it, is enough to ensure me that I will most likely never, ever stop playing it.

Doom still ranks ridiculously highly for me. To this day I occasionally grab a few friends here and there for coop run throughs.

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

My first online FPS, right there. I spent most of the summer after 8th grade playing that with my friends over 56k. The wealth of mods and custom maps kept it from ever getting boring. Never could get into the other Jedi Knight games, unfortunately. :/

FPS games nowadays is taking a direction I'm not that overall fond of, and the fact that FPS gaming today has become so mainstream is not really helping it.

I miss the old run 'n gun type of gameplay of the old FPS games...

Agreed 100%

Whee, somepony agreeing with my view on FPS gaming my first day here!

I do agree about the other Dark Forces games, also. The first one I have a place for in my heart, but Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy lacked both in level design and gameplay, as well as music, something the previous games excelled at. I still remember beating the second game twice at my old school. Good times, man.

Whee, somepony agreeing with my view on FPS gaming my first day here!

I'm a bit surprised as well. We're of a dying breed, I think.

level design[/u] and gameplay, as well as music, something the previous games excelled at. I still remember beating the second game twice at my old school. Good times, man.

Speaking of level design, I think this image says it all.

Posted Image

... but hey, it's all cool as long as we can have cutscenes, HDR, regenerating health, quick time events, and all that, right?

Edited by Zoop
  • Brohoof 1

The fun of CSS just to point out isn't the graphics...

It's the really fun and easy run and gun gameplay.

You run around shoot people then respawn in a jiffy, whereas in modern games like BF3 you K/D counts to alot of people and it takes way too long to respawn after dying.

I actually like to play CSS. It's a good way to just go nuts after some sniper, spawnkilling, baserape fighting in BF3. (In short... I truly hate the recon class... For that matter i hate snipers in all games. They make me feel well... like going cupcakes on them in their sleep.(that came out waaay darker than i meant it too...))

And on the topic of my favourite game... It's still a threeway tie... But i can say i prefer Strategy games the most.

Posted Image

... but hay, it's all cool as long as we can have cutscenes, HDR, regenerating health, quick time events, and all that, right?

Not ALL of the features in modern FPS games are horrible, though. I like the gun-butt smacking, the grenade system, and the iron sights. Some of the immersive cutscenes are really cool, too.

It's just that none of the features are used particularly WELL and it all feels very stale and tacked on.

I think the newest FPS I really enjoyed was Mirror's Edge, which granted wasn't that much of a FPS to begin with. I LOVED the sense of immersion in the game and really want a sequel to it. Come on now, Dice, please, now that BF3 is done!

It's just that none of the features are used particularly WELL and it all feels very stale and tacked on.

I think that sums my core complaints up fairly well, to be honest.

I think the newest FPS I really enjoyed was Mirror's Edge, which granted wasn't that much of a FPS to begin with. I LOVED the sense of immersion in the game and really want a sequel to it.

Ergh. I've had that on Steam for a while now (nabbed it during a criminally good sale), but I've never gotten around to spending any time on it. May have to do that.

As far as recent FPS games go... I've gotta say that I love the original Crysis (or, more specifically, Crysis Wars). It defied all of my expectations and has turned into one of my favorite games to play online with my buddies. The suit powers (in their full, unadulterated glory, unlike the sequel) add a new dimension to the game, and even the regenerating health system is done well enough that I don't despise it completely. Unfortunately most people don't look beyond the purdy graffix where it's involved.

Other than that though... the original FEAR and TF2 are probably the most recent shooters that have been able to catch - and keep - my attention. FEAR's multiplayer (which is free, in the unlikely event that anyone is interested) executes what would otherwise be completely cookie cutter FPS multiplayer so well that I can't help but love it. TF2 is... well, TF2.

Ah yes, the nintendo 64 era.

I spent all this money on Ebay to get a N64 with Lylat Wars, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye and Super Mario 64. Worth every cent.

Also, favourite game? I am a Valve fanboy. Maybe it's because every game they make is good? Probably. I love Left 4 Dead 2. I adore Half-Life. Team Fortress 2 is a great game. But, putting all my fandom aside, I still consider Portal 2 to be the greatest game ever made. It has totally outdone Ocarina of Time, Deus Ex, and all those other "big-name" games. It, quite literally, has no faults.

It has the perfect mix of puzzles, action, good soundtrack, humour, characterization, art-style and multiplayer. Essentially, it has all the things you look for in a good game, and it excels in each category.

I'd like to see ONE person defy me. (sorry, fandom acting up again)

I haven't played many FPS but I can say I don't particularly mind if it's got complicated maps and levels like Quake or Timesplitters or if it's just a straight line like Red Steel.

Speaking of Red Steel, I feel it is a massively underrated game. People hate it because they wanted to wield a sword but when that mechanic didn't really do well at all people threw it out but I massively enjoyed it. I would say it is definitely on par with it's sequel in a lot of ways.

the Dota genre(Heroes of Newerth,lol,dota2 etc)... no other game out there have made me play so much of a single game for a one time purchase.(it's even free now). Minecraft a close second when it comes to gameplay/cost ratio..

Tell that to their massive sales quota. There has to be a reason they are at the top of the sales charts.

Because they play to the kids of todays needs.

-sterotypical Cod player-

"My life sucks. My parents are mean. I am going to act like i am in the army and spam my shots and kill noobs to get rid of my anger, and call every faggots."

COD is usually a good game when it releases but after time every exploit you can think of is used. Treyarch is also rather unimpressive as a developer.

Call of Duty is definitely not what you want to represent the genre.

Halo and Battlefield have been the consistantly good shooters and are more appropriate choices for representing shooters. COD is a shamefull excuse for a product...IMO

Having not played CoD myself I can't say anything but if I like it (As I am wont to do) you certainly can't say I have that line of thinking. :P

Lol, trust me. Play black ops for like 5 minutes, and you will regret it.