Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Dark Souls II Discussion Thread

Chacobos

Oh god please tell me that we won't have to do anymore walking on tree branches again. happy.png Oh my, looks like we are going to have more of that. I hated that in Dark Souls. I forget the name of the levels with all the tree branch platforming basically. And what is this...a scorpion monster?? I hope you can get a cool weapon from cutting it's tail off haha.

(edited)

Apparently it's coming out in March of next year, which saddens me greatly. I'll have to find more games to occupy my time until then. D:

While I am sad to, I would rather they work everything out instead of releasing a...glitchy game, though Dark Souls almost wasn't broken except it had the bs dark wood grain ring and the infinite souls glitch. Other than that though I am pumped for whatever happens at E3! I believe it is one of Microsoft's exclusive reveals(note this does not mean it will have exclusive content or bs like that, just it is being premiered on Xbox One). On the upside, at least this year is a good year for gaming! HOPE ISN'T LOST YET MY COMRADE!

Oh god please tell me that we won't have to do anymore walking on tree branches again. happy.png Oh my, looks like we are going to have more of that. I hated that in Dark Souls. I forget the name of the levels with all the tree branch platforming basically. And what is this...a scorpion monster?? I hope you can get a cool weapon from cutting it's tail off haha.

I don't know about you...but I hope it is like the Sanctuary Guardian's tall drop, you get to whip people with a scorpion tail! In all honesty I do not know. I wouldn't be surprised if they include another level similar to the one you are talking about, From likes reusing certain areas and certain designs in their game but know how to make it look and feel fresh and new. 

Edited by Rainbows R Metal
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah it'd be cool if they did reuse a couple of the levels but only with a new type of atmosphere and look to them. Just please, I hope they don't add more places like the New Londo Ruins with the ghosts. I've died more times to them than I have to bosses I feel. Another thing is I wonder if they'll ever bring back that system like they had in Demon's Souls where in certain areas you could get special weapons. The only thing is I doubt they'll ever bring back the old "world tendency" system.

(edited)

They will probably return the swamps, something like Anor Londo and Lost Izalith, maybe a few other places. I do agree though, I hated going through New Londo but I did love the ability to farm titanite chunks, worth it. 

I loved world tendency, though I do think it was a massive improvement to not include it in Dark Souls. It is awesome to be able to shift what you can get, difficulty, and all that fun stuff but it could easily lock you out of a certain portion of the game and From Soft does not want that. And with it I was able to fully embrace Dark Souls with the help of the wiki of course to find out how to become a Darkwraith, access the DLC, and enter the Painted World. Demon's Souls..the only reason I got all the stuff finally was during a white tendency event ATLUS hosted in honor of it's "birth" per say. 

post-12867-0-66613600-1370534371.jpg

Yeah I think adding world tendencies to Dark Souls would just be too much. I mean I loved it in Demon's Souls because of the amount of difficulty it added, but I think at this point it would just change up the way Dark Souls plays just too much. 

As for levels, I wouldn't mind seeing like an alternate or physical change to say Anor Londo where it's kinda a ruined city in Dark Souls II. I kinda wish they'd sort of bring back a few of the levels from Demon's Souls as well. Like that one..what was it...I believe it was World 3...oh yeah the Tower of Latria. If they did something like that in Dark Souls II, I'd be happy and mad at the same time.

I think something like Stonefang tunnel, that one place the Storm King likes chilling at, and (not 100% sure on possibility) even maybe something like a Flamelurker will be making an appearance. The Despair trailer confirms the first two in terms of looks. I did love Tower of Latria, it was well fitting for the game and the area. The areas in that place were amazing though I did feel the Demon Monk was a bit out of place. I still hate those squid mage things though. 

Yeah I agree, the Demon Monk did feel out of place. It was cool that he was a boss that could be played by another player though. That would be neat if they added that mechanic back into Dark Souls II. I'd even be happy if they added the areas like where the Storm King was in World 4 (I'm kinda a Demon's Souls freak if you couldn't tell happy.png).

It looks like there might be more dragons this time around in Dark Souls II as well. That'd be pretty cool. I mean it was kinda a let down when I found out that there was a dragon in Dark Souls, but found out Seath didn't/couldn't fly. I think in total there are...3 dragons in Dark Souls. Well 4 main dragons and then a whole area devoted to young dragons.

(edited)

I loved Demon's Souls, I just couldn't get into it as much as Dark Souls is all. It was still a brilliant game in terms of their initial goal, Dark Souls took that and vastly improved on it in terms of making an amazing story, gameplay, graphically, and variety in terms of bosses. That is simply why I am more of a Dark Souls player than a Demon's Souls player, if the online was still very active on it though I would switch right away. 

I do hope they include some more dragons(just not too many more, I like fighting high ranked knights, demons, and other foul beasts). They have proven well in the Artorias of the Abyss DLC that they can make one hell of a dragon fight, Kalameet was fun as hell and I would dare say if you can't fight with light gear on, more than likely Kalameet was going to wreck you hard. He is like the Sanctuary Guardian but on crack, because he deals a lot more damage and has huge AOEs.

Let's see, there is Kalameet, Seethe, Gaping Dragon, and the Everlasting Dragon. So yeah they didn't have many dragons but those also played a vital role in the story. and lore, especially Seethe and Kalameet.

I would say Dark Souls II is heavily influenced by Demon's Souls though with a good amount of Dark Souls in the mix. The art direction and so far the areas and enemies shown scream a lot of Demon's Souls while the bonfire system, dragons, and other things scream Dark Souls.  

Ahh yes I remember when the Demon's Souls online was quite active. I had multiple characters for multiple purposes. I had a straight up PVP character, tanks, mages, I had it all. I wish I was able to do all that with Dark Souls but because of the hacking i've seen and had happen to me, I just can't quite get the enjoyment out of Dark Souls as I did with Demon's Souls.

I agree that I hope they don't add too many dragons. We don't need one particular enemy or boss overshadowing the other enemies and bosses. I totally forgot about the Gaping Dragon. I guess just because i've ended up skipping most of that level before or just speed running through it.

I hope they keep Dark Souls II down to it's roots and improve on an already excellent game. I was impressed when I bought Dark Souls. It was kinda difficult to know exactly where to go and from what point, but it has really turned out to be a great game. I hope they also continue the ability to buy certain boss armors after you defeat a boss like they did in Dark Souls. It added that much more in the terms of customization of how your character looked, especially when it came to PVP. I feel the more awesome you looked, the more confident you felt (not saying that's the case at all).

Yeah I just skip Capra Demon and the Depths now when i am trying to quickly get to Anor Londo to farm for a PvP build so I know that feel. 

They did say in an interview they are doing that BUT how the fans interpret it is how their honesty will be judged, It is amazing how customizing your character can bring up confidence in battle, And then you die of course and all that goes away, just another day in Dark Souls. 

I'd say the only thing that is really bugging me right now is the fact MICROSOFT out of all people is premiering the game at their conference. Now I know From Soft already tackled this issue awhile back with exclusive stuff but who knows what the new head devs and Namco will do. It's great and all they are going to treat it as a AAA title and all but I don't want them to break From Soft's tradition of no exclusive bs. 

I may try building a new PVP character but i'm not sure. I hate the thought of running into abundances of hackers since I play the PC version. I more or less need to get a decent PVE character that I can use effectively first. I'd like to make the same or similar build that I had for my PVE character on Demon's Souls, but they don't have enough similar equipment and the equipment that is the same, doesn't have the same moveset, which irritates me. 

I know nobody screws up the tradition of the series. It's a great hardcore game and it takes alot of skill, patience, and luck. I'd hate to have someone come along and make it even easier and move the goal away from what it should be.

There is not much luck in it but there is a tad bit hoping the boss does not combo you to hell and back again.

Well E3 starts tomorrow so I will be sure to post ANY information of this game asap. IGN is also pumped since Dark Souls is their baby too. Apparently there is an enemy called the Mirror Knight

A mate of mine said that they'd removed the 'Easy Difficulty' that they'd planned, does anyone know anything about that? cos i was planning on using that to try and get some more casual friends into Dark Souls, i personally wouldn't play it on easy but it would be nice to know there was that option.

I am curious where he heard this "easy difficulty"

I know Miyazaki talked about it awhile back but said he wouldn't add it and the new directors did a poor description of what direction they were taking the game. Fans mistaken "straight forward and direct" as easy mode though that is not what was meant at all. Dark Souls II  will retain it's predecessor's unique quality in terms of difficulty. As far as I know there was never one planned, just a misinterpretation of what Shibuya said. 

If you really want to get some people into it...I would say sit down with them as they play and coach them a bit in the beginning areas, let them get the feel of the game and after an area or two, let them go on their own, they either learned or did the lazy way and just made nods. Though it is important to also note exploring and experimentation is half the fun in a Souls game. You can also get them to pick up Dark Souls, it is very cheap now, especially at Gamestop. 20$ for a beauty is worth it imo. 

• Brohoof 1

Dark Souls, it is very cheap now, especially at Gamestop. 20$ for a beauty is worth it imo. 

Hell, you could charge me anything for Dark Souls and i wouldn't regret paying it. it's easily the best RPG i've played this generation.

I agree. I'd pay almost anything to buy me some Dark Souls. I remember I preordered Dark Souls when I heard it was coming out, and I paid a pretty penny when I bought Demon's Souls as well. Mainly because I knew no where to buy it so I had to pay more for it online.

(edited)

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/stage-1-day-3/

Dark Souls II live event on Thursday! It can't come soon enough 

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dark_souls_ii/b/xbox360/archive/2013/06/12/getting-crushed-by-turtles-in-dark-souls-ii.aspx

I will have it up on the front page later. Probably not today because I don't feel like page hopping atm

post-12867-0-99394500-1370884084.png

• Brohoof 1

Giving a little bump because NEW INFO!!!!!!!!!! derpy_dance_by_mixermike622-d4bunum.gif

So apparently, and this is important information regarding the game.

-enemy ai are smarter and will use better tactics than mobbing you

-enemies will backstab and if behind a turtlebro, back slam you to the next millenium 

-some enemies can get lit on fire by the torch

-Life gems are more abundant than flasks but are not good in the midst of battle, they are slow and small regen.

-there are multiple stances for you to use that will affect how you use your blades and stamina

-Nobody has beaten the mirror knight yet at E3, a free t-shirt is being offered to whoever can beat him

I should note I am having some issues putting the new trailer upfront, this new information will go up along with it probably some time next week. I will be gone over the weekend. 

Haha smarter AI is definitely gonna make things more interesting. I know many times I managed to make the enemies jump off random cliffs so this will be good. Plus enemies will backstab...I don't like the thought of this but at the same time it'll really make you think and use strats more effectively.

I forgot to mention this time you pick your starting stats first.

But yes, this will make the game's take on difficulty and strategizing to the next level to where you really got to think how you will tackle, I have juked so many out in Dark Souls it's not even funny. They mob you but now with them thinking more, ooo it's going to be fun. 

Oh yeah this will be fun. I'm definitely gonna be ordering this when the opportunity arises. Sounds like they are making the difficulty run between "pain in the ass" like Demon's Souls and "relatively simple" like Dark Souls...not trying to say Dark Souls was easy.

(edited)

It looks and plays a lot like Demon's Souls tbh. I loved Demon's Souls so that is good. I do hope E3 gameplay surfaces sometime soon so we get an idea of what the Mirror Knight did to kick everyone's ass. The game is available for pre-order btw. I am just holding off till the collector's edition is announced for PS3, I will also be buying it on my PC :3 

The Mirror Knight has a confirmed PvP mechanic so I think that shield he uses allows other players to join the fight against you if he choses to summon.

I'm a bit torn at the revelation that they'll try and make it more difficult. I mean, I appreciate the challenge, but after a few rounds of Dark Souls, I'm not 100% on how they'd make it more difficult without breaking the game in some way. You know?

I think as long as the changes they make aren't too too drastic, I think it should be, or at least hope to be, around the difficulty that Dark Souls is now. If you want difficult, go play Demon's Souls, now THAT was a rage inducing, controller smashing, hell of a game.

One thing I haven't heard yet is, when a PC version comes out, will it actually have decent controls or decent controller customization?? That's one thing they messed up so damn badly when they made Dark Souls on the PC version. So much effort had to be made by the community to make the game playable with a controller and make the game high resolution.