Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony reviewer's scathing FiW review.

Mand'alor Dash

Meh, angry review/ rants, what do people see in these things. img-1365981-1-huh.png

I can understand if you don't enjoy the humor since that's pretty subjective, but I think he's way too concerned with it being an abridged series. I never really thought of FiW as an abridged series just a parody, since it doesn't really "abridge" much of anything from the show. 

Also the fact that some of the jokes went over his head is pretty funny.

"It'll be OK" is amazing. This guy is off his rocker img-1365981-2-ohmy.png.  

Edited by Cota
  • Brohoof 3

Oh no! Did I insult you? You'd better not be serious. I've explained it so many times already. The voices, the jokes, everything - it's all mean and nasty. It's one gigantic FU. Simpsons and South Park do parody correctly; FiW does not. FiW is all about making fun of the characters while trying to force the audience to see how clever they are. It's a smug mess. And yes, FiW doesn't insult the fandom; it insults the show enough though, and when I first watched it, I really could not tell that they weren't trolls, out to tear apart the show.

Erm... I'm the one who'd better not be serious? I'm not the one saying FiW is some kind of evil conspiracy and that the creators are evil people for daring to poke harmless fun at fictional characters.

It's a very simple fact that people poke fun at things they enjoy. Jokes don't need to have any kind of sinister purpose behind them, and more often than not, they aren't supposed to be taken seriously. How are you not getting this?

• Brohoof 2

Holy fuck people, it's a PARODY. The whole purpose of FiW is to make fun of the show! That doesn't mean they hate it!

If this fandom isn't able to laugh at itself once in awhile it's seriously delusional.

Sherclop cares a lot because they go to the enormous effort of making FiW, and Jenny has clearly been a fan of My Little Pony her whole life. That's right, she likes EVERY generation.

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 4

Wow, a lot of hate in this thread... I almost don't want to get involved, but FiW has seriously made a few of my friends hate My Little Pony and the bronies in general. In their own words, they can't believe "bronies find this shite funny".

An Abridged Series is supposed to do the opposite of what FiW did just there.

I don't like FiW, for a lot of reasons the reviewer mentions. While I understand the jokes (for the most part), they come off as forced, drawn out, and/or just not clever. I like my Abridged Series as either semi-faithful with a parodic twist (like DBZ Abridged), or barring faithfulness, at least something that plays on the original characters. I like my parodies a bit more wild, but still remain faithful to some aspects of the original series (like .MOV-- we all know that Fluttershy's shown some psychotic streaks in the series, and .MOV takes it to bloody hilarious extremes).

FiW does neither. It takes the characters and turns them into unlikable, antisocial, not even cariacatures because it's nothing how the originals would act anyway. Not even DIscord could turn Fluttershy into a cult leader with daddy issues because that's nowhere in her character.

Maybe I'm on TVTropes for too long, but nothing in that "parody" (i use the term loosely) comes off to me as original, funny, or even semi-clever. If the creators actually cared about the series or any of its incarnations, they would have done a better job.

The creators are also very, very smug, but that's another issue entirely.

• Brohoof 2

ngbbs4e585e74c929e.jpg

Seriously, if I could just post that picture as my response, I would. You're not correct; nobody is in this, or any debate. Having an opinion is great, but all the neigh-sayers of FiW in here (including the person in the video) just keep acting like they're in the right when nobody is. I will continue to watch and support FiW.

Edited by pariah164
  • Brohoof 1

img-1367012-1-ngbbs4e585e74c929e.jpg

Seriously, if I could just post that picture as my response, I would. You're not correct; nobody is in this, or any debate. Having an opinion is great, but all the neigh-sayers of FiW in here (including the person in the video) just keep acting like they're in the right when nobody is. I will continue to watch and support FiW.

.. Wait, but you just did post that picture as your response which-- Oh dear I've gone crosseyed.

Ain't no problem in your opinion, dear. It just gets a bit silly when insults are being slung back and forth... over a bunch of videos on the Internet.

You can continue to watch FiW-- quite frankly, what you do with your time is none of my beeswax :) -- but I just don't get the hype. Maybe I never will. Kudos to those who do like it, though.

Just so long as we're both cool with each other's opinions, ja?

• 4 months later...

I like to consider it to be a very unrelated, parallel series in which those sorts of jokes innate to FiW are possible.  Then and only then are they feasible in the least.  But I do like the series quite a bit.

• Brohoof 1

That video is honestly in my favorites section because I agree with his opinion towards the SHOW. I despise FiW and think it's quite dull. But, still, he was rather rude toward the whole review and made a follow-up review.

• Brohoof 2

I'm going re-instate my opinion(and I do agree with this guy on many points, and I quite like his style, the people calling him out for whining need to look into what "caustic critic" means, he's being harsh on purpose to make the review more interesting and funny, much like the Nostagia Critic, Brad Jones(which btw, if you can handle the content he reviews, his Cinema Snob character is a hilarious parody of what happens when you try and review b-grade exploitation the same you would a high-brow art film) and Spoony)

At first I used to watch it "just because" because it did have a couple funny jokes buried in there, and good music(and sweetie bot is awesome). 

But then the Wedding came....

It pushed the boundaries of what a character can do and be likable into oblivion, was carried by a unfunny incest joke and was the first time the show had a bad song. Not to mention is re-wrote the story in a lazy fashion that avoided having to handle the second part of the episode.  

Not to mention, I'm really starting to take a general dislike to the louder portion of it's fanbase. They react to anyone that they think has wronged Sherclop with some of the worst bile and immaturity I've ever seen. Look no further than the reaction to the little mess with them using y'sMandopony's music and getting the video pulled for not asking permission. 

No offense to those of you that don't act that way, but these people are not making you look nice. 

Those were some of the most painful 13 minutes of my life :okiedokielokie: .

There are somethings that I can agree with like repetition, lack of proper editing (the credits weren't removed), the fact that it shouldn't be known as an "abridged series", et cetera.

But I really don't care about too much of what he said. So what if it has nothing to do with witchcraft or if the series didn't start with episode 1? Most people have probably seen the show anyways (tough luck for those who haven't) and would understand the humor and irony of Fluttershy being a dragonslayer. Even though there are probably a lot more songs that are better than Pinkie Pie's "Gypsy Bard", I don't like how he stresses that it shouldn't have been in the top 20. He even said it was catchy and fun to listen to himself.

I watched the entire series not long ago and thought there was plenty of good stuff. I'd give it a 7/10 though since I'll admit, it could've been better.

I would definitely want to watch his review on the latest FiW though  ^_^.

Never been a fan of FiW outside of the admittedly well made songs. There aren't any actual jokes being told like in good abridged series. It's just nastiness and not-clever-at-all black comedy.

Whether you like Team Four Star or producers like them or not, they at least have their own unique, realized characters that provide a lot of comedy that's at least trying to be clever. In FiW, all it is is "It's funny because everyone is horrible". The only kinda formed character is Sweetie Bot, but even then it's lazily written.

Sorry if opinions overlap things already said in this thread.

Oh, and the same goes for .MOV.

Edited by CITRUS KING46