Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Going Vegetarian

Circadian

(edited)

I'm honestly glad that I went vegetarian! It brought me so much more energy and has made me feel better. I don't get sick as often and I'm back to a healthy weight of 137 lbs. 

Nice! How long have you been vegetarian? I lost 25 pounds from it, now at a perfect 170! (I'm 6' 2ish")

Did it take awhile for your taste buds to adjust?

I know mine have changed a lot since I started. Food tastes better in general and I'm able to eat things like onions, carrots and lettuce without gagging now. smile.png

Edited by Circadian

I'm vegitarian since 2010, i found it disgusting eating the insides, muscles and cells of an animal, i feel sorry for the environment they have to live their short worthless innocent lives in and cute pigbabies die by not having enough space to live in, i can survive without it because humans are all-eater and

i

love

lettuce

marra out

oh yeah, i forgot. i lost about 3 kg in a month ^^

and it's a healthy way of losing weight, better than the most of the other techniques (trust me, i've some others)

• Brohoof 2

I'm vegitarian since 2010, i found it disgusting eating the insides, muscles and cells of an animal, i feel sorry for the environment they have to live their short worthless innocent lives in and cute pigbabies die by not having enough space to live in, i can survive without it because humans are all-eater and

i

love

lettuce

marra out

oh yeah, i forgot. i lost about 3 kg in a month ^^

and it's a healthy way of losing weight, better than the most of the other techniques (trust me, i've some others)

I like you ^_^ You gave your reasons and didn't push it down our throats :) I agree that the conditions are terrible. If you're doing it to lose weight (It doesn't seem like that's why you are but you brought up it being a healthy way to lose weight) it is a good way to lose fat, just not a good way to gain muscle. I personally hate lettuce, but I do eat fruits and green beans. I love green beans. I could eat those things for days on end along with meat. :3 But I just think its good to have a balance of both, but we do need a better way of getting the meat. Edited by SongBrony
  • Brohoof 2

The Basic Argument

1) Eating meat is not at all required for health.

2) There is no nutrient in meat that cannot be found in a vegetarian diet.

3) There is no disease where eating meat is required for the treatment or cure of the disease.

4) Therefore, eating meat is absolutely unnecessary.

5) Eating meat causes death to other animals, obviously. And, despite attempts to make slaughter "humane", whether it be "kosher", "halal" or otherwise, it quite probably, or even certainly, causes stress and pain as well.

6) There is more than enough cruelty in the world as it is; no sane person can deny this. There is no need to add to the world's cruelty, unnecessarily.

DISCLAIMER: If you are a dependant in your household you probably can't safely make the transition to vegetarian. Those that are considered dependent shouldn't be too hard on themselves. However, you can try making an effort to eat healthier. img-1380400-1-wink.png

Also, some countries haven't developed to the point where people can sustain themselves without meat. Though, if you have the internet, that's probably not the case.

As much as i love meat, I believe that we should all stop eating meat soon because if we kept doing this, All cows and sheeps will die, and we will not find any source for milk which is excessively necessary for our daily needs.

"In short, we should stop eating meat temporarily, so we will give animals chance to reproduce" 

and it should be temporarily because if we let the animals reproduce to too large population, the plants will decrease and that will lead to many hunger crises in earth.

Edited by ~Chaotic Vendetta~
  • Brohoof 1

Oh boy. The infamous Veggie VS Meat argument is going around. I stopped eating meat in 2007 because of a health conditio that forced me to. The thing that I a lot of people do is they give up all the meats at once and then fail at their vegetarian attempt. You have to give it up one at a time. Meat, though, is natural to the human consumption system. Regardless, best of luck to you.

Edited by Captain Sparkle

Oh boy. The infamous Veggie VS Meat argument is going around. I stopped eating meat in 2007 because of a health conditio that forced me to.

Yup, we've had quite a lively debate for the past few days. If you don't mind me asking, what condition do you have? I'm intrigued.

The thing that I a lot of people do is they give up all the meats at once and then fail at their vegetarian attempt.

That's what I did. Wasn't too hard as long as I kept myself fed.

• Brohoof 1

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralph Inge

My girlfriend wants me to be vegetarian.

Bad hearts run in the family and I have very high cholesterol so I've been considering it for health.

thoughts?

• Brohoof 1

My girlfriend wants me to be vegetarian. Bad hearts run in the family and I have very high cholesterol so I've been considering it for health. thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpLQwWKb3l8

I highly recommend watching this film by Joe Cross before you try anything drastic. It changed my life for the better.

It's also the reason I own a juicer. :)

I'm pretty sure that milk/dairy is NOT "necessary for our daily lives". If it is,  explain the LARGE number of people beyond infancy who develop lactose intolerance. It's not necessary, there's PLENTY of other foods that will give you calcium. 

• Brohoof 1

Eggs are okay depending on where they come from;

You do know what Eggs Actually are right?  I am not trying to be mean or anything however it seems a bit hypocritical to be a vegitarian and eat eggs.

I'm pretty sure that milk/dairy is NOT "necessary for our daily lives". If it is, explain the LARGE number of people beyond infancy who develop lactose intolerance. It's not necessary, there's PLENTY of other foods that will give you calcium.

Pretty sure Its genetic and has nothing to do with actually Drinking Milk.  My Wife loves milk, she can go thru a half gallon a day at times.  I like milk as well but cannot eat/drink very much dairy, my body just can't handle it.  My mom is the same way.

My son had a hard time with breastmilk and regular formula afterwards when he was born but has no problem with milk now years later.

Edited by ShadowRose2k

You do know what Eggs Actually are right?  I am not trying to be mean or anything however it seems a bit hypocritical to be avegitarian and eat eggs.

Pretty sure Its genetic and has nothing to do with actually Drinking Milk.  My Wife loves milk, she can go thru a half gallon a day at times.  I like milk as well but cannot eat/drink very much dairy, my body just can't handle it.  My mom is the same way.

My son had a hard time with breastmilk and regular formula afterwards when he was born but has no problem with milk now years later.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/lactose-intolerance-statistics/

Total percentage of people who maintain ability to digest lactose after childhood 40%

If this is genetic, it is saying that it is not quite natural to having dairy products, considering the people who CAN have it with ease  are the minority, so that no, milk/dairy is NOT necessary.

Also, eggs are a chickens period. It is not a baby chick. As long as you get eggs from free range farms, no issue with a vegetarian eating them.

Edited by wolfheartmoon
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
You do know what Eggs Actually are right? I am not trying to be mean or anything however it seems a bit hypocritical to be a vegitarian and eat eggs.

I'm a pro-life vegetarian and believe meat begins at fertilization. post-9453-0-06816800-1367342542.gif

Also, eggs are a chickens period. It is not a baby chick. As long as you get eggs from free range farms, no issue with a vegetarian eating them.

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it on the head. Also, ewww science. 

Edited by Circadian

So... is it just cow Milk you have a problem with or all Milk?   Also IF your Statistics are true,  Then you are saying we should not be having any:

Milk, Ice cream, butter, Yogurt, Cheese (any kind), Gelato, Ect.  Oh and any food made with Dairy.  Like butter which is used in cakes, cookies, and Dough. 

I'm guessing you also have a problem with gelatin as well.  Common examples of foods that contain gelatin are gelatin desserts, trifles, aspic, marshmallows, candy corn, and confections such as Peeps, gummy bears, fruit snacks, and jelly babies. Gelatin may be used as a stabilizer, thickener, or texturizer in foods such as yogurt, cream cheese, and margarine; it is used, as well, in fat-reduced foods to simulate the mouthfeel of fat and to create volume without adding calories. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

And I still have to consider an egg meat.   Like fish Roe. 

So... is it just cow Milk you have a problem with or all Milk? Also IF your Statistics are true, Then you are saying we should not be having any: Milk, Ice cream, butter, Yogurt, Cheese (any kind), Gelato, Ect. Oh and any food made with Dairy. Like butter which is used in cakes, cookies, and Dough.

What? I'm okay with dairy and eggs. That's a standard vegetarian.

I'm guessing you also have a problem with gelatin as well.

Yup. I do not eat anything with gelatin, because it is made from boiled animal bones and tendons that are ground up into a powder.

And I still have to consider an egg meat. Like fish Roe.

That's nice, but that doesn't make it meat.

I'm personally a vegetarian, but I honestly don't care too much about what other people think. Eating meat isn't necessarily a bad thing. As some people above have stated, vegetarian or not, we eat things that used to be living, whether it be plants or animals. 

• Brohoof 2

Sorry the Milk rant was directed at wolfheartmoon.   I am not out to try and pull people over to the meat side, lol.   Again  I feel everyone is entitled to eat what they want.  And it is important to understand where we get our food.   I just find it kinda funny when some one goes, OMG  you should not eat/drink this cause its evil!!.   

And  It is amazing how manny foods I have learned about after college.  America we seem to be kinda narow minded on what is food.  Dishes from Japan, Aisa, real Mexican foods, and manny European Dishes are amazing.   We are a Species that has adapted to eat almost anything. 

A kind farewell and I will step away from the conversation as its feeling a little heated,  maybe just me lol. 

Don't Painc!  Laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSLQu-d6ZQ

http://www.youtube.com/show/whywouldyoueatthat

(edited)

There's plenty of substitutes for all of those things smile.png But anyway, no. I wasn't saying that. You said it's necessary  when in fact, it isn't. Not with the majority of people being lactose intolerant. Things with milk in them as an ingredient aren't exactly necessary either. The "natural" foods are straight cooked meats, and fresh harvested fruits and veggies. Even grain food isn't quite natural. 

=) That was my only point, it's not natural. 

Edited by wolfheartmoon

I don't eat much meat, but I could live without it. I respect everyone's opinions about this. So if you're vegetarian, keep your attitude since it'll hurt nobody. If you eat meat formed into vegetables, that's fine too.

(edited)

I hear this debate/argument every other day at my work (I work at an organic grocery market). So here goes:

If you want to go vegetarian or vegan for the sake of the animals live, sure, do it. Because at this point there is no arguing with you. You've made up your mind that eating animals is wrong, and that I can not argue with. However, I do disagree.

If you want to go vegetarian or vegan for the sake of the quality of the animals lives, you don't have to. In fact removing yourself from the pool of meat eaters altogether is not going to affect the factory farm industry very much. There are many other ways to try and change (or abolish if you want go there) factory farming without cutting meat out of your diet completely.

If you want to go vegetarian or vegan for the sake of your health, be careful. Do the research and get started right. Soy is really not good for you in large doses, nor are most processed foods (which unfortunately the modern vegetarian diet is largely based on these days, meat substitutes). The older vegetarians I know have health problems directly related to their having gone vegetarian, not getting all the proper nutrition they need, and/or not realizing it until too late when they already have x y & z new health issues. The younger ones I know are young, so time will tell with them. If you do do it, do it right. Being a vegetarian can potentially be really good for your health, but it is easy to mess up and screw up your body.

My advice? Go organic and take quality supplements instead (Poor quality supplements will help you just as much as taking nothing. Also, aside, be careful taking supplements altogether because too much or too little of something you really do or do not need can be harmful. Everyone has their own recipe. Pay attention to your body. If you are having reactions, stop. And as a rule of thumb, if you don't think you need it, you probably don't.). Eat more veggies, less meat. But whatever it is, do it organic, and source your food. Know where it comes from and always choose humanely raised antibiotic and hormone free meats and dairies. If you have the option, ask your grocer about the product. How much do they know about what they are selling you? Farmers markets is the best, because you can ask the farmer directly.

If you don't have access to this, think "I'll have a salad with a few grains and a little meat on the side", not "I'll have a steak, a piece of bread with butter, and a side of one lone vegetable, maybe add potatoes." The biggest thing lacking in the Western diet are vegetables, but that doesn't mean you have to go full vegetarian.

I admit though, it's hard to eat healthy! I have been, as a youngster, taught that I could eat what ever I wanted (within reason, no ice cream for dinner, ect.) and have been programmed to do so. Taco bell and Chinese food were taught as "treats" and highly sought after in my family. I struggle daily to try and eat healthy and the Chinese take out sometimes wins. I do have access to some amazing resources. I get a 30% discount on all products at my work which carries only organic and natural products. There are farmers markets in my town on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays all of which are easily accessible by bus. I also live in a house (my boyfriend and I) which is open to going organic and eating healthy and encourages me to do so. But it's still really hard. So don't feel badly if you're having a tough time making changes in your diet. It's hard for everyone! If you do find yourself in the McDonald's drive through, don't beat yourself up over it. Just try again at the next meal.

These are two fantastic book which may help influence those considering making a switch in their diet. In Defense of Food by Michael Pollen & The Organic Manifesto by Maria Rodale.

x-posted to my blog catwings downtown.

edited @1:38pm for clarity.

Edited by Bunches
  • Brohoof 3

I hear this debate/argument every other day at my work (I work at an organic grocery market). So here goes:

If you want to go vegetarian or vegan for the sake of the animals live, sure, do it. Because at this point there is no arguing with you. You've made up your mind that eating animals is wrong, and that I can not argue with. However, I do disagree.

x-posted to my blog catwings downtown.

edited @1:38pm for clarity.

And that is the problem right there for me. Nobody can leave anybody else alone in this world. We all have to push everyone else to do what we do and follow our patterns because we are somehow magically right. Our science is better than their science and blah blah

I have a few vegetarian fiends and they are still friends because they don't push this bs on me all the time. I eat my meat (in a very healthy ratio with vegetables I might add) and they don't. I don't force bacon in their face and they don't force a tomato in mine. We all live peacefully...you get the point

But on the flipside I have met my share of vegetarians who just have to give me the latest manifesto into why I am wrong for eating beef...I'm sorry...I agree above. If you want to eat vegetarian or vegan...heck I'll salute you even...but it isn't for me

• Brohoof 1

And that is the problem right there for me. Nobody can leave anybody else alone in this world. We all have to push everyone else to do what we do and follow our patterns because we are somehow magically right. Our science is better than their science and blah blah

I have a few vegetarian fiends and they are still friends because they don't push this bs on me all the time. I eat my meat (in a very healthy ratio with vegetables I might add) and they don't. I don't force bacon in their face and they don't force a tomato in mine. We all live peacefully...you get the point

But on the flipside I have met my share of vegetarians who just have to give me the latest manifesto into why I am wrong for eating beef...I'm sorry...I agree above. If you want to eat vegetarian or vegan...heck I'll salute you even...but it isn't for me

Yeah! I find this is the case though with anyone who feels like they are "doing good" and following some manifesto in doing so. They are people who try and push organic (and I'll be honest, I do on occasion catch myself doing this), there are people who try and push their favorite sports (in my city, if you aren't a Raven's fan, you aren't from Baltimore lol), there are people who push Religion, although I don't see this as much in my city as I used to. I mean you get the point, it's all over the place. But there are also people who are chill about it, like your veg friends. So yeah, it's kind of weird. I guess it depends on the personalities you come in contact with.

People need to calm down in this thread. Thoae accusing the OP of being arrogant and aggressive are as well.

My friend just recently became a vegetarian and stopped cold turkey (no pun intended) on eating meat, then totally failed and had a bunch of problems.

It's best to ease into it-I didn't eat red meats so it was easier for me to, since I only had fish and occasionally fowl. If you just jump into it can be bad for you. Just for anyone considering. :P