Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A theory on Alicorns

Goodra

They are alicorns so it would have to be a rare mutation from both the genes of a unicorn and pegasus. Plus, they both have the title "princess" so they need to be born of royalty.

I don't know, I think that something that important would have been mentioned in the Hearth's Warming Eve play.

They don't necessarily need to be born of royalty in order to hold sovereign royal positions themselves - dynasties have to start somewhere, after all. It's also possible that Equestria uses a system of Heavenly Mandate, like the Chinese Empire, so even the lowest peasant can become royalty if people consider them to have the Mandate of Heaven (or, perhaps, the Celestial Mandate?).

Edited by Krall
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know, I think that something that important would have been mentioned in the Hearth's Warming Eve play.

They don't necessarily need to be born of royalty in order to hold sovereign royal positions themselves - dynasties have to start somewhere, after all. It's also possible that Equestria uses a system of Heavenly Mandate, like the Chinese Empire, so even the lowest peasant can become royalty if people consider them to have the Mandate of Heaven (or, perhaps, the Celestial Mandate?).

hmmmmm, true. Maybe they were like the "Chosen ones" or something who would banish Discord and rule.

I like the stars idea (:

It seems very fitting, since they both have abilities to control the celestial bodies.

It just makes sense for me if they came from outerspace.

I like the stars idea (:

It seems very fitting, since they both have abilities to control the celestial bodies.

It just makes sense for me if they came from outerspace.

But Spike mentioned that all the primitive unicorns could also move celestial bodies.

I heard that Alicorns were the beginning, and slowly over time they evolved; only keeping the features they needed.

Some Alicorns probably preferred weather control, while other's preferred study.

But then somepony needed to make food, and really, the Earth Ponies are the best at that--WITHOUT wings and horns.

You could think of this all as a punnet square. With Wings and Horns being recessive traits, and "Nothing" dominant (that's why it's much more likely to be an Earth Pony than anything else.) You get two traits, one from mom and one from dad.

Basically how dominant and recessive works, dominant traits will show up if they are there. The only way for a recessive trait to appear is if both traits are recessive.

Let's use W for wings.

So if Mom is WW, she would be an earth pony. Through and through.

If dad is Ww, he would be an earth pony too, but still hold the trait for having wings.

If we crossed them the Mendelian Ratio comes into effect. Which means, most likely, these were the genotypes of the children.

WW - Both dominant, no wings.

WW -Both dominant, no wings.

Ww -Single dominant, no wings. But carries the trait for them.

Ww - Single dominant, no wings, but carries the trait for them

Each of those children has a 1/4 chance of getting any of those. But since there are two WW, there are 2/4, or 1/2. And since there are two Ww, there's another 2/4 or 1/2.

So basically it's 50-50

Then, lets say another pony with Ww mates with somepony with Ww, you'd get:

WW

Ww

Ww

ww

You'd get one homozygous dominant (big W-big W)

Two heterozygous (big W-little w)

and one homozygous recessive (little w-little w)

Now what does somepony with ww look like? WINGS!!!! WOOT WOOT!

And for the most part, only pegasus mate with pegasus, there is no breaking this chain, unless somepony mates with a different type. ww, and ww will never make a Ww or a WW because the trait is no longer there.

It works the same for horns as well: H, and h.

Skipping all the boring biology,

Unicorns are hh.

And since Unicorns only mate with unicorns; hh will remain constant as well.

Somepony with WWHH is an earth pony.

WwHh is earth pony.

wwHH is a pegasus

wwHh is a pegasus

WWhh is a unicorn.

Wwhh is a unicorn

wwhh is an alicorn

(I don't think I missed any...but I'm too lazy to count)

I don't know how the next generation of Alicorns will come about, considering there are only two, and they are both female... (Look... girl + girl won't make a pony... Probably the nicest way I could put this without dirty-man-badnews-potty talk)

The next alicorn will come from an Earth Pony (with WwHh and another crossed with the same.) And will NOT come from crossing Unicorns and Pegasususususus. The closest thing possible when crossing those two would be an Earth Pony with WwHh. And then they'd need to cross with another WwHh to be an alicorn.

I hope I didn't make this too complicated... But biology is

*sunglasses*

naturally complicated.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH--- Oh wait, that was an awful pun? Sorry...

• Brohoof 4

Fghik, I love you. Gregor Mendel would be proud.

I agree and think that once the three tribes lived together, some cross-species mating occurred and it eventually resulted in alicorns. With maybe just a little something special happening for Celestia/Luna's births, like star power.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle

I'm trying to remember something. I will probably need to look at scenes from episodes to confirm, but didn't Clover the Clever mention being apprentice (or was it descendent?) to Star Swirl the Bearded? Also, Luna recognized Twilight's Star Swirl costume. It could be that Luna is as familiar with history as Twilight, or it could be that She personally knew Star Swirl. We know that Star Swirl lived before Equestria was founded, so it is possible that Celestia and Luna were alive at that time, but not affiliated with the three tribes.

I hope I didn't make this too complicated... But biology is

*sunglasses*

naturally complicated.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

post-377-0-75247700-1324231424_thumb.jpg

___

Well it would make sense, but how can Luna and Celestia still be around presently and their parents are not? I mean, why are Celestia and Luna more or less immortal if their parents (Commander Hothead and Princess Platinum) weren't. Or maybe their parents are still around today... :huh: in the sun....

Or wait, bigger mindf***: Rarity and Rainbow Dash are thousands of years old, and are actually Celestia's and Luna's parents. They are legitimately who they are in the play. I don't care if it doesn't make sense. Magic- how does it work? Biggest shock to them was that their daughters looked exactly like the flag they made.

On second thought that's dumb. Disregard what I just said.

Doesnt look like it, Celestia and Luna seem like they were around prior to them, making it unlikely they are children :P

They mentioned in the play it was before Celestia, and the unicorns raised the sun and moon, so obviously Celestia and Luna weren't already around ~

I always imagined that Tia and Luna where part of a race of alicorns that have all since gone extinct, and that they fooled the ponies of Equestria into believing they where worthy of ruling them. I mean it wouldn't have been hard, they're both huge, shiny, and have both wings and horns, it would be a bit dark for MLP however...

Though on second thoughts, what Sam said, lol.

Edited by Indigo

Fghik, I think you'd be a unicorn ;)

Didn't Celestia and Luna defeat Discord before they became rulers? Maybe they were the only ones who knew how to defeat him and had to use a spell that involved morphing themselves into alicorns? IDK. Or else maybe they were somehow born strange to a peg and a uni, were outcast by the other ponies because they were so different but when Discord came and caused an uproar, the other ponies came to them for help and harmony was restored. And they became rulers because they were able to protect the ponies from evil.

Fghik, I think you'd be a unicorn ;)

Didn't Celestia and Luna defeat Discord before they became rulers? Maybe they were the only ones who knew how to defeat him and had to use a spell that involved morphing themselves into alicorns? IDK. Or else maybe they were somehow born strange to a peg and a uni, were outcast by the other ponies because they were so different but when Discord came and caused an uproar, the other ponies came to them for help and harmony was restored. And they became rulers because they were able to protect the ponies from evil.

At first I thought about being a Pegasus...

But man...having Magic I could recklessly abuse would be so bad-flank.

So for a really long time I've considered unicorns to be my preferred pony.

As long as I'm not required to be a Canterlot snob... I'd use my magic to kill myself. :P

I heard that Alicorns were the beginning, and slowly over time they evolved; only keeping the features they needed....

Don't you spread that Discordish pack of psudo-scientific lies! We all know QUEEN Celestia is Divine, she is eternal, she has no origin, and if you claim such a lowly orgin for her you shall be branded a heretic!!

*slaps self*

Ugh... sorry. I don't know what came over me. I support the New Lunar Republic, not that aweful Solar Empire. Celestia's no Goddess. :huh:

Based upon the counter arguments in this thread, I’d be pretty doubtful myself. Looking at the proof of age difference between Luna and Celestia, and various Alicorn origin theories, I’d say no.