Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I just realized..Canterlot Wedding has TONS of plot holes

TheMarkz0ne

(edited)

This is my 2nd all time favorite episode. The first would be cutie mark chronicles. But I just can't get over how lazy the writers were with this episode. Yeah it's an iconic two parter. But it's just littered with nonsense and every character being a tool. Let;s begin shall we 

Everyone except Twilight is a dumb ass

Twilight's friends pretty much are insulted, well not really. Chrysalis AKA Fake Cadence was just being a bitch and no pony was acting suspicious about it. Twilight described Cadence to her friends as a nice and gentle foal sitter. You're telling me that all of a sudden Twilight's friends aren't going to question fake cadence's behavior. Especially Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash? Also Celestia wasn't at all curious about Cadence's behavior? The only exception I can make is Shining Armor, since he was under mind control

Finding the Elements of Harmony. What does that mean

"The elements of Harmony, you must find them, and use their powers to defeat the queen."

-Weakened Celestia

So first off we see that there is a door that only Celestia can open. Inside is where the elements are. So even if they could" find them" they can't access them because Celestia is subdued. Also why do they need to find them. In Keep Calm and Flutter On Celestia even says she will leave the elements with Twilight. What where they thinking?

Chrysalis didn't absorb the love of Cadence/SA

You're going to tell me she did. Well you're right she did do it. But when Cadence charged SA up to reinforce the shield spell. Chrysalis was being ignorant and out of character when she said

"What a lovely but absolutely ridiculous sentiment."

So you're telling me that for someone who feeds off love, she doesn't understand how it works. If logic was LAW in this episode. Chrysalis would've taken Cadence words seriously and she would have fed off them and Canterlot would have been her's 

The Shield 

Simply put. Why does it only push the changelings away? It's never explained. Also Chrysalis and the changelings can fly, when they're knocked back why can't they just gather reinforcements and fly back to Canterlot?

The Mane 6 giving up, because the plot needs them to

This part pissed me off when watching it. Because the mane 6 could have taken on the entire swarm and I'm going to explain why. Twilight and Rainbow Dash are incredibly powerful and would have more tricks up their hooves. First off Twilight barely get's tired. She could have cast some advanced magic to push back the swarm. Also Rainbow Dash could have just made a sonic rainboom and crushed the changelings with the power of mass and force. Also the mane 6 would NEVER give up. They would die fighting

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

(edited)

I thought they explained pretty well as "everybody being busy with wedding preparations."

Celestia was desperate, and besides, she knows Twilight was resourceful enough to figure out a way to get to them. Also, "Keep Calm and Flutter On" takes place after this episode.

She did... she used Shining's love for Cadence to defeat Celestia. Then she underestimated the strength of the bond between Shining Armor and Cadence which led to her downfall.

I thought her saying this was badass. She sounded like Loki in Avengers.

The Shield

Because the spell was cast to repel invaders... and once Chrysalis revealed herself and Shining was no longer under her influence thanks to Twilight, the couple was able to recast the spell with enough power to repel and keep them out permanently.

They were exhausted, outnumbered and physically overwhelmed. The Changeling BEAT them and planned to use them for food. 

Also Rainbow Dash could have just made a sonic rainboom and crushed the changelings with the power of mass and force.

How the hay would that work? This isn't Double Rainboom. 

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 8

(edited)

It would hardly be the only episode with gaps in logic, but I'm going to do my best to address these.

Not particularly. People who you haven't seen for a long time can change, especially when they are under the stress of planning a wedding and there is a potential attack on the capital looming over your head. Twilight was acting ridiculously overposessive, and I don't really blame her friends for not taking everything she said at face value.

Celestia could've given Twilight the means to open the door after the Discord episode, in case Celestia herself was unable to. I don't see any reason not to, and it seems logical to me.

I view what happened more as Cadence powering up Shining with the love magic, and Shining using his new energy to use a more powerful version of his shield spell. I don't see why Chrysalis could absorb the love magic if it wasn't being used on her in the first place. 

The Shield 

What would it do other than push them away? Seems to be the function of a shield to me. As for not returning quickly, perhaps they were demoralized that their long running invasion plan was rejected entirely, and they decided to find easier prey? Canterlot would've only been more prepared the second time around anyway.

EDIT: I just realized you meant that the shield didn't repulse anypony who wasn't a changeling. Sorry. Perhaps it only works on those who have ill intentions/mean Canterlot harm?

Maybe they took Fluttershy/somepony hostage? The fight occured offscreen and there are many perfectly reasonable explanations for losing a fight where you're outnumbered 20 to 1.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 5

Canterlot wedding was one of my least favorite episodes. That is, until I watched this video. I believe it addresses most of the OP's concerns

I don't know that I'd call all those "plot holes"...but there is some unexplained stuff. However...

1. Bridezellas. They are VERY real. Some brides turn into downright B-words when their wedding is approaching, even though they're normally nice. So nopony but Twilight taking it as a sign isn't that odd, actually.

2. The Elements. We hadn't seen the since the end of Return of Harmony, so we don't know if Celestia is still the only one who can reach them. Granted, we do see the door. So it's a fairly safe bet. Although I suppose she could have changed it so Twilight could open it. If so, though, it should have been explained. So I agree here.

3. THE POWER OF LOVE! Here's the thing. She's a changeling. Changlings gain measurable power from love. Ponies do not. So it's not that odd for her to think that they're being ridiculous. After all, they can't absorb love like she can.

4. The shield. A fair question, given that it had to be opened earlier for Twi and friends to get in, if I remember right. Seems like it affects all life, not just changlings.

5. Give up? Pssssh. I doubt it. While Twi and friends are a mighty force indeed, if they always win and beat everyone, it's not as fun. There's no tension. They need to lose sometimes. Is that plot-driven as opposed to character-driven. Yes. Yes it is. But you have to have an engaging plot. And it made for a fantastic end. It displayed the power that Shining Armor and Cadence have in their love. It needed to happen. We needed to see that.

That's my two bits, anyways. ^^

• Brohoof 2

A couple holes in your analysis:

1: Twilight is never seen telling the other mane 6 what cadence was like. She just complained to them about her behavior and acted very possessive. Also, Celestia and Luna were clearly to preoccupied on keeping a lookout for the threat that they never assumed it could already be in the city. They probably didn't have very much interaction with cadence (if any) during the wedding preparations. Plus chrysalis would have known to play her part and not give herself away. By the time twilight came into the picture, she had grown overconfident and likely believed that even if she were discovered, she had already sapped enough of shining armor's love to weaken the shield and allow the other changelings in.

2: Celestia never asks them to "find" the elements. The exact line is "The Elements of Harmony, you must get to them, and use their power to defeat the queen."

3.You have somewhat of a point. Chrysalis already had first-hand experience with the power of shining armor's love for cadence and she should have known better when it was about to be used against her. It is possible she underestimated the magical power of cadence, (seeing as she had already overpowered her before) and wasn't expecting their combined strength to be so overwhelming.

4.The spell that Shining armor and cadence cast together was obviously different from the shield he was casting earlier. Cadence was basically doing the unicorn equivalent of jumper cables and loaning her magic to shining armor to power his spell. Notice how their horns touch and you see cadence's magic being fed to shining. The spell itself was more of a repulsion force focused on the changelings. That being said, I see no evidence showing that this keeps them out permanently. Presumably, they could return in disguise.

5. I do wish the mane 6 had put up more of a fight. TBH the smart thing would have been to have RD fly ahead and get to the elements first seeing as she's the fastest and bring them back. Twilight, who has proven to be able to learn spells just by witnessing them could have tried to reinforce the shield just to buy them a little more time. In fact, she probably knew this spell for quite some time seeing as she used it in Return of Harmony and Ponyville Confidential. She may have learned it from shining armor before she left canterlot. Plus, we all know the kind of raw magical power she has. I bet if she had tried, she could have attmepted to keep the shield up just a little longer.

• Brohoof 1

The only part that bothered me in The Canterlot Wedding was when Cadence pulled flowers out of freakin' no where when she and Twilight were about to be attacked by those brides maids changelings. I know this is a kids cartoon, but that part just bugs me.

Seriously, why would a bouquet of flowers just so happen to be right next to Cadence at that time? Plot convenience, of course.

But it doesn't really ruin the Canterlot Wedding for me. Tons of shows I love have plot conveniences.

The only part that bothered me in The Canterlot Wedding was when Cadence pulled flowers out of freakin' no where when she and Twilight were about to be attacked by those brides maids changelings. I know this is a kids cartoon, but that part just bugs me.

Seriously, why would a bouquet of flowers just so happen to be right next to Cadence at that time? Plot convenience, of course.

But it doesn't really ruin the Canterlot Wedding for me. Tons of shows I love have plot conveniences.

Yeah, I think that was the one thing that bothered me, too. It made for a funny gag, but still....a little bit too deus ex machina for me.

The only thing that bugged me was that Twilight said Shining Armor was the only pony she accepted as a friend when she was little.  Then later, she talks about Cadence very much like a friend.  So, foal sitters don't count but brothers do?

Otherwise, I loved the episode.  Had none of the same problems as OP.

This is my 2nd all time favorite episode. The first would be cutie mark chronicles. But I just can't get over how lazy the writers were with this episode. Yeah it's an iconic two parter. But it's just littered with nonsense and every character being a tool. Let;s begin shall we 

Twilight's friends pretty much are insulted, well not really. Chrysalis AKA Fake Cadence was just being a bitch and no pony was acting suspicious about it. Twilight described Cadence to her friends as a nice and gentle foal sitter. You're telling me that all of a sudden Twilight's friends aren't going to question fake cadence's behavior. Especially Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash? Also Celestia wasn't at all curious about Cadence's behavior? The only exception I can make is Shining Armor, since he was under mind control

"The elements of Harmony, you must find them, and use their powers to defeat the queen."

-Weakened Celestia

So first off we see that there is a door that only Celestia can open. Inside is where the elements are. So even if they could" find them" they can't access them because Celestia is subdued. Also why do they need to find them. In Keep Calm and Flutter On Celestia even says she will leave the elements with Twilight. What where they thinking?

You're going to tell me she did. Well you're right she did do it. But when Cadence charged SA up to reinforce the shield spell. Chrysalis was being ignorant and out of character when she said

So you're telling me that for someone who feeds off love, she doesn't understand how it works. If logic was LAW in this episode. Chrysalis would've taken Cadence words seriously and she would have fed off them and Canterlot would have been her's 

The Shield 

Simply put. Why does it only push the changelings away? It's never explained. Also Chrysalis and the changelings can fly, when they're knocked back why can't they just gather reinforcements and fly back to Canterlot?

This part pissed me off when watching it. Because the mane 6 could have taken on the entire swarm and I'm going to explain why. Twilight and Rainbow Dash are incredibly powerful and would have more tricks up their hooves. First off Twilight barely get's tired. She could have cast some advanced magic to push back the swarm. Also Rainbow Dash could have just made a sonic rainboom and crushed the changelings with the power of mass and force. Also the mane 6 would NEVER give up. They would die fighting

1.) Why would they act suspicious of Cadence at all? For one none of them knew Cadence. They were also very preoccupied with their tasks. Then there was the completely rational common sense explanation of her behavior being due to stress of the up coming wedding. This is a conclusion most would come to first. Twilight had a different perspective as she knew Cadence beforehand. She viewed all of Cadence's behaviors as suspicious because they deviated so far from what she remembered of her. 

2.) I think your mixing up the order of episodes here. Keep Calm Flutter On is a season three episode Canterlot Wedding is the season 2 finale. I don't remember her telling them to find the elements, but to retrieve them to defeat the queen. 

3.)Thing is Chrysalis doesn't understand love at all, nor does she desire to. Its a food and power source for her. One does not need understand where a burger comes from to consume it. Truly understanding love requires the reciprocation of two parties. It requires giving and truly caring for someone. Something which Chrysalis doesn't seem to understand. Beyond knowing that love is directed toward a specific pony or ponies shes probably ignorant of it. She uses Love as a source of sustenance. She converts it into magical power, just as we would convert food into energy for the body. 

Imagine if someone claimed food was going to stop you. Food only your race could consume. Would you take that notion seriously?

4.) Its a defense spell meant to protect Canterlot from intruders. We saw earlier in the episode that the shield allowed the ponies through it, showing it could be made or was made to differentiate between intruders and accepted parties. Why would they make a shield that would throw out all of its citizens when activated? 

5.) Well technically everything that happens in any episode does so because the plot dictates as such. When did the give up? It seemed they were vastly outnumbered by an unknown number of enemies. 

If you want to point out plot holes I think these are not really good examples. Ill give you what I think are three better ones from this episode.

1.) Why was Cadence Twilight's foal sitter? Why would a princess do such a thing? 

2.) How does cadence aging process work. We have some incite into that now, but it was an extreme oddity to see a young alicorn at the time.

3.) What was Chrysalis's full plan and when did she enter Canterlot?

While there are possibilities they are not quite presented as well in the episode visually or with dialog. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Couldn't agree with you more on this one, twilight's friends should have listened to her and taken her accusations more seriously, especially Celestia, who is presumably very intelligent and would be able to detect evil in Fake Cadence.

The only reason Celestia says this is because she thinks that there is no other option at this point, she couldn't have predicted that SA and Cadences' powers would save Equestria.

The Shield

Simple: The shield is designed to repel evil, the changelings, who have no good in their hearts are viscously rejected by the shield, and everyone else is unaffected because all ponies are kind-hearted or at the very least not evil enough for the shield to reject them. This seems to contradict what Chrysalis says earlier saying that her minions have already invaded and the shield would have no effect, but all this shows is that she doesn't know how the shield works, and is merely making an assumption.

Also agree. But hey no show is perfect so what's really the point in nitpicking eh?

I also picked up on this one. When Chrysalis ignores their threats she dismisses them off hand even after experiencing the power of their love for eachother first hand by absorbing it and becoming powerful enough to best Celestia. So once again you're absolutely right with this one.

Apparently all cartoon villians are morons because if any of them had half a brain things like this wouldn't happen, and you see it all the time in cartoons; even in anime. Bleach, dragonball z, the list goes on, all villians are idiots so really this isn't anything new.

Edited by Guest