Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What happened to Starswirl when the spell in MMC didn't work?

Circadian

He turned into an earth pony. For that matter, what exactly did that spell that Twilight completed even do? It seemed like it had some connection to the elements of harmony, given it made them vaporize her and the incomplete spell affected their colors (in addition to the whole cutie mark thing.

When the spell was finished, Twilight was sent to that heaven-like realm, where she talked to Celestia and was alicornified. Was that spell a "send me to Limbo and summon Princess Celestia to talk to me" spell?

Also, insert reference to the Star Swirl is Discord theory here.

• Brohoof 1

Well we don't even know if Star Swirl had any contractions with the elements of harmony. Even if he was around when Celestia and Luna ruled, only they would be able to use the magic that came from the elements.

The other thing is we don't even know how his spell failed in the first place. Did it do the same thing like in MMC or did it doing nothing? There are still to many questions to this spell that have yet to be answered. 

(edited)

This is a good question, and to understand the answer, a detailed look must be made at the actual purpose of the spell. Fortunately, this has already been done:

Many are speculating over the intended purpose of the spell Starswirl failed to complete. Some going on to say its a major plot hole. I myself see an explanation in the episode itself many seem to be missing. 

In the flash back when Twilight recalls trying to use the spell we see that it effects the Elements of Harmony. At that point no one knew what the spell would do though it seemed Celestia had her suspicion. The spell was completed using this phrase "from all of us together together we are friends.With the marks of our destinies made one there is magic without end".  these scenes are key. 

The intention of the spell seemed to be to try to amplify the magic in the Elements of Harmony. As indicated by the the scenes above. The spell directly affects the elements. However the elements are directly tied to the ponies of the current time and the ponies to the Elements. This is indicated in the first episode and also by the fact that the elements take on the shape of the pony's cutie marks. So the spell when misused unfortunately effected the ponies switching the elements and the ponies. 

It directly said what the error is. It seems Starswirl forgot a key word to magical items he was attempting to manipulate. They are the Elements of Harmony.  These items are only useful in conjunction with a harmonious state, that being friendship  As seen in the first episode the Elements came to life only when twilight ignited the spark of friendship realizing for the first time its importance. So it would stand to reason the elements could be amplified using a special spell of harmony increasing the harmonious state allowing the elements to be used to the fullest efficiency. Looking at Starswirl's spell its obvious why he failed, he realized the elements could be amplified but failed to understand he needed a special sort of harmony to do so, that being friendship the very bond that connects the ponies tied to them allowing the elements to be used in the first place. In Celestia's own words "You've done Something today that's never been done before. Something that even a great unicorn like Starswirl the Bearded was not able to do, because he did not understand friendship like you do." Celestia isn't talking about writing magic, no nothing so trivial. She is referring to successfully fully harmonizing the Elements of Harmony with comprehension of friendship. Of course she did this by completing Starswirl's spell. This is further indicated by the appearance of Twilight's cutie mark upon her return to ponyville. There are six stars instead of the usual five. This would seem to indicated the full uni-faction of all the six ponies  and elements. 

Twilight's transformation

Some seem to think Celestia herself is solely responsible for this transformation. I don't think this is the case and I think this is indicated in the episode. When twilight changes the magic that changes her doesn't come from Celestia, it comes from Twilight herself. The color of the magic also seems to match up to Twilight. What does this mean? Well to sum it up in one sentence... Alicorns aren't created they are realized. At least in Twilights case. Celestias Ballad indicated that. Showing that Twilight had grown so much since that first episode and that this change was to come from that growth and new found knowledge. Celestia was merely the cataylist for that change. Now this comes to a complaint in the episode, why didn't Celestia offer Twilight a choice in becoming an alicorn? Now this bothers me too however again I think this is partially explained in the episode though not as much as the things above which is why it bothers me. It might not have really been up to Celestia at that point at least to an extent. Celestia is not the one who brought Twilight to that realm, it was Twilight. By completing the spell she reached a harmonization point realizing her new potential apparently ascending into some astral plane. As indicated by the song she was ready to start this new stage in her life. It may have been inevitable  Celestia just helped it along to comfort Twilight after all who does twilight trust more than her. Going through this experience alone could be terrifying. Much easier with the helping, supportive, and loving hand of a mother and mentor. Again this of all the points is the least explored however I still think it is indicated, but it bothers me its not explored more.

So, Starswirl failed in his attempt to magnify the power of the Elements of Harmony. But wouldn't his failed spell have the same effect that it did when Twilight repeated it years later? So... The elements of harmony got mixed up before? There's room for plenty of head canons here. :3

Edited by Sky Chaser
  • Brohoof 1