Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New job help?

Capital time

I got my first job ever this summer so what I do is hand people there food and get drinks and make sure everything is stocked up, and the thing is there is ALOT of idle time and everything is stocked up and no one has ordered anything, were not allowed to talk or use our phones any ideas what to do so I'm not board out of my mind?

You could ask your supervisor if there any other tasks that need to be done, one thing I have noticed is that the busier I am the faster time goes by and before I know it it is time to go home. And showing some initiative can also make you look good and may set you up for further advancement or make you look good for when you get your next job depending on what you decide to do.

• Brohoof 3

I take it you work fast food.  Me, I've always found something that needs cleaning, and believe me, there is NEVER a shortage of things to be cleaned.  It's not very fun, but it makes time go by faster, you will impress your higher ups because of good work ethic, and customers will want to come back because of the clean environment.  That's a triple win situation! XD

You're working McDonald's, aren't you? Judging by your description, you're working in the service department. For now, you're going to be trained in presenting because that's where they start every service person. Eventually, you're going to receive training on front counter, and then they'll train you in drive thru. I also take it that you work at a store that isn't very busy, which is quite unheard of to me. I work at a particularly busy McDonald's, so downtime is quite a rarity for day shift workers. However, if you find yourself with nothing to do, the best thing for you to work on is cleaning. If you have an ABS (Automatic Beverage System, or an automated drink maker), make sure that there's no ice building up beneath the conveyer. In addition, the grate where you set the drinks can be removed so you can clean beneath it. If you have a manual drink station, just make sure that the grate below it is kept clean. Try to keep your work space as clean as possible, as the overnight workers have to clean up after you and the night shift. If you don't know what to do, clean or ask your manager. They will find you something to do. However, make sure that you do not leave your station during mystery shop time. The managers will flip out if you do, trust me.

If no one has explained mystery shop time to you, it's a peak business time when you have the greatest potential to have a "mystery shopper" come through. A mystery shopper is someone who is paid by the McDonald's corporation to order food at your restaurant to test you. They make sure that you are not only efficient, but are also following the protocols. Always be sure to try to HBO (or Hang Bag Out, which is where you hold the bag out the window before the customer reaches the window.)

But anyways... during mystery shop time, McDonald's is required to have "all hands on deck," meaning that no one may leave their station with the exception of managers. I'm not sure because I haven't worked days in a long time, but I believe the mystery shop times are as follows:

Breakfast (weekdays): 7:00 - 10:00 AM

Breakfast (weekends): 7:00 - 10:30 AM

Lunch (weekdays): 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM

Lunch (weekends): 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM

Snack (weekdays): 3:00 - 5:00 PM

Snack (weekends): 3:00 - 5:30 PM

Dinner (weekdays): 6:00 - 8:00 PM

Dinner (weekends): 6:00 - 10:00 PM

Again, I haven't worked days in a very long time, so these times could be completely wrong.

I wish you luck, and just remember that it isn't that bad.

Also, if it's not McDonald's where you work, then disregard my entire post, because it is meaningless.

You're working McDonald's, aren't you? Judging by your description, you're working in the service department. For now, you're going to be trained in presenting because that's where they start every service person. Eventually, you're going to receive training on front counter, and then they'll train you in drive thru. I also take it that you work at a store that isn't very busy, which is quite unheard of to me. I work at a particularly busy McDonald's, so downtime is quite a rarity for day shift workers. However, if you find yourself with nothing to do, the best thing for you to work on is cleaning. If you have an ABS (Automatic Beverage System, or an automated drink maker), make sure that there's no ice building up beneath the conveyer. In addition, the grate where you set the drinks can be removed so you can clean beneath it. If you have a manual drink station, just make sure that the grate below it is kept clean. Try to keep your work space as clean as possible, as the overnight workers have to clean up after you and the night shift. If you don't know what to do, clean or ask your manager. They will find you something to do. However, make sure that you do not leave your station during mystery shop time. The managers will flip out if you do, trust me.

If no one has explained mystery shop time to you, it's a peak business time when you have the greatest potential to have a "mystery shopper" come through. A mystery shopper is someone who is paid by the McDonald's corporation to order food at your restaurant to test you. They make sure that you are not only efficient, but are also following the protocols. Always be sure to try to HBO (or Hang Bag Out, which is where you hold the bag out the window before the customer reaches the window.)

But anyways... during mystery shop time, McDonald's is required to have "all hands on deck," meaning that no one may leave their station with the exception of managers. I'm not sure because I haven't worked days in a long time, but I believe the mystery shop times are as follows:

Breakfast (weekdays): 7:00 - 10:00 AM

Breakfast (weekends): 7:00 - 10:30 AM

Lunch (weekdays): 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM

Lunch (weekends): 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM

Snack (weekdays): 3:00 - 5:00 PM

Snack (weekends): 3:00 - 5:30 PM

Dinner (weekdays): 6:00 - 8:00 PM

Dinner (weekends): 6:00 - 10:00 PM

Again, I haven't worked days in a very long time, so these times could be completely wrong.

I wish you luck, and just remember that it isn't that bad.

Also, if it's not McDonald's where you work, then disregard my entire post, because it is meaningless.

I appreciate the help but unfortunately it's not mc Donald's it's a. Mexican restaurant food stall at a summer fair, thanks for your help il try this today!

i always have my earbuds prepared. so i can put them in when there's nothing to do. also, if you really feel like you need to do something, just look araound. i work in a restaurant and there will always be something that needs cleaning.

i hope this helps, and i am pretty sure that i am copying other posts, but i didn't really read them all XD