Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your first job?

kelseymarie805

So, I'm gonna be starting my first job soon as a cashier at a grocery store called Meijer (most of you prob haven't heard of it, it's not in every state just in a few) and I've been wondering......

What was your first job, what did it pay (if you don't mind me asking, feel free not to answer), did you love it, like it, hate it? Was it fun? Was it a good company? Did it suck? 

How long were you there? Are you still there (some people have the same job for years)? What was your start and end positions?

Like I said, I'll be a cashier, not sure how it'll be but I'm thinking it'll be enjoyable (it'll help that I'm an extrovert!) I'm pretty excited about it, the company seems great, I love the store, the employees who I've spoken to have talked highly about it, pay raise is good and it's actually more of a higher end grocery store. (I'm guessing you ponies are picturing it to be a small town, family owned grocery store which it's def not). Also, I start a little higher than minimum wage which is great!

Edited by kelseymarie805
  • Brohoof 2

My first job was at a Costa Coffee branch. I basically just worked the coffee machines and served cake to people, which was actually kinda fun and helped me overcome my introvert-ism somewhat. I got paid minimum wage (I was 17 so I think it was £4.40 an hour), but then double on the weekends, so I'd try to always fill my shifts up on weekends.

I did this for 9 months or thereabouts, and then quit to focus on my university entrance exams. I've currently got 6 months off from university now so I'm considering getting a job of some sort again.

Best of luck with your new job btw!

• Brohoof 2

My first job was a project-based temporary job at a warehouse about two miles away from home. Basically, I walked for about an hour along various roads in the dark (one time it was sleeting), arrived just as sunrise was about to occur, then worked on an assembly line packaging Idahoan Mashed Potatoes in display units. I also needed steel-toed boots, so I borrowed my step-dads (which were a size or two off, but fit well enough to stand in). My first day, I came home with bloody hands from the packaging, but since then, I learned to wear gloves.

It sucked, but as a kid who needed the money, it worked just fine.

After about a month of that, I got a job watering plants for Home Depot on a more regular schedule, which was decent enough, even though it was still freezing cold, and water/wind/cold don't mix comfortably well.

• Brohoof 2

My first job was actually at a grocery store as well.  I did a one year stint as a cashier at a place called Food Lion in North Carolina.

It was pretty fun.  You tend to notice a lot of regulars in that kind of job since people tend to frequent the store in their area exclusively.

My favorite part was cart collection. Back in the mysterious year of 1999 we didn't have those cart collecting machines. It was a kind of contest among other workers who would be able to collect and steer the most carts at a time.  I think my record was like 20 or so.

In the winter, we had a crazy snowstorm that covered up the entire lot.  We made donuts in middle of the parking lot with those things, it was fantastic.  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

My first real job was a dishwasher at a small Italian restaurant. The job itself wasn't too bad, my coworkers were iffy, and my boss was an absolute a**hole. I only lasted 4 months before I was fired for no reason.

• Brohoof 2

When I was 18 I started working as assistant at the university, when I was 21 I became head of the research department for (roughly translated) super hard and elastic synthetic substances. Currently I'm 25 and since close to one year now am handling nursing bottles and changing diapers. Best job ever, but also the most challenging one.

Edited by Shikilicious
  • Brohoof 2

After about a month of that, I got a job watering plants for Home Depot on a more regular schedule, which was decent enough, even though it was still freezing cold, and water/wind/cold don't mix comfortably well.

I can kind of relate to that as I did volunteer on a farm in CA for four months a couple years ago, great experience but morning were often cold, wet and windy.

When I was 18 I started working as assistant at the university, when I was 21 I became head of the research department for (roughly translated) super hard and elastic synthetic substances. Currently I'm 25 and since close to one year now am handling nursing bottles and changing diapers. Best job ever, but also the most challenging one.

Awww that's so sweet!! Sounds like an amazing job!! Congrats on getting such a great one that you love so much!!

• Brohoof 1

The first job I ever had was being a cart-pusher at Costco when I was 15. I distinctly remember how much the first two weeks sucked, as I was hired as a seasonal full-time employee in the middle of the summer. Having to drag and push 600 pounds worth of shopping carts out in hundred plus degree weather for 8 to 10 hours a day almost caused me to quit on more than one occasion. However, after I got my first $800 paycheck, I never thought about quitting again.

• Brohoof 1

Here is my employment history to date:

The Review: I'm substituting "the" for the name of the county I lived in at the time. The Review was a small independent newspaper going head to head against a newspaper (the Tribune) in town that was owned by one of the largest newspaper syndicates in the United States. My first job EVER was as a STAFF REPORTER! I was so proud that I was able to secure the job that I wore my press pass anywhere I could come up with an excuse to wear it to. I reported on and took pictures of local events, and my articles were published in the paper. I was paid $20 per article and $5 per "cut line", or captioned picture, which was a lot of money in High School. I even had a handful of front-page stories! Unfortunately, things don't always work out like they do in the movies, and the Review was deep in debt from its start up costs. By the time I was hired on, the collectors were already starting to show up for their money. The parent company of the Review went bankrupt in September 2013, but the Newspaper itself hung on until January '14 when it went bust.

Federal Student Workstudy: Basically, the U.S. Government pays college students to do their homework. Yeah, it's pretty awesome. Unfortunately, it's seasonal, only being available during the school year, but I plan to do it again next fall.

Hobby Lobby: I'll be starting this job on the 4th of this month. So far I really like my manager, and the store itself is very nice. I think it'll be a good one.

• Brohoof 1

Technically speaking my first job was doing landscaping with my uncle at 14. I got paid a pittance cuz of my age but I also didn't do much more than pulling weeds half the time.

My first real job was McDonalds at 19. The job was meh at best but it was made worse by coworkers, managers and the fact that my mom was a manager there (the only reason I got the job in the first place). When she quit there was a big fiasco about me not being on the schedule and in the end I talked to the manager and he said to put that I was laid off on future applications, which I still do to this day. Here's the problem: When I tried to get unemployment I was officially listed as no-called/no-showed to multiple shifts in spite of what the manager said. My mom and I both agreed that the other managers were in cahoots to get rid of me now that she was gone. They hated me cuz they thought my mom gave special treatment to me when the truth was that she specifically avoided doing so. We barely talked during shifts.

You could say it was a shitty job with a shitty atmosphere. I thought about quitting more than a few times because of the sheer demand that was put on me sometimes.

Take my advice: Never work fast food if you can help it. It's the most degrading, low-paying, near-slave-labor job in existence. Jobs like that will come as close to breaking labor laws as possible without actually breaking them.

It made it really hard to get a job after all that BS so I hate the job even more now because of that.

• Brohoof 2

My first job was working at the movie theaters, specifically Cinemark (who had bought Century Theaters shortly before I was hired). I was 16 at the time, and worked at a Berryessa, CA location; I actually really liked the place and my coworkers. The issue was that the theater hardly got any business, so after a couple years they shut that location down and transferred me to a theater inside of a mall and that place was terrible. I eventually was let go after they cut my hours to about 2 days a week. Cinemark was slowly turning the Century Theaters I had worked at (and that my mother was a manager of for a good chunk of my life) into soulless husks of their former selves.

I worked at Fry's Electronics as a computer technician as my second job, and I was really excited but in reality it was terrible; Fry's operates like a company stuck in the 1950's, except they sell modern electronics. Almost all of their sales and inventory software uses DOS. Yes, that DOS. Eventually I left due to finding a better job opportunity, and I've been happy with my job ever since ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Delivering leaflets for an ironing company. 
Pretty much a glorified newspaper round, but the pay was decent enough : P

Sorry for spamming your mailboxes *hides*

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

My first job was right out of high school working for my hometown as a secretary? (can't recall the exact title I was given) It was mostly just data entry for a local program called teen court that delt out punishments to minors caught stealing and what not. It payed $10/hr and was crazy easy. Majority of it was sitting around which was terrible until i just started watching netflix there all day lol. That lasted about 6 months then the funding for it ran out and I moved on.

Edited by Broken Image

(edited)

My first job was technically working at my Dad's local Italian restaurant. I folded napkins, bused tables, baked bread, cleaned windows and more. Working for family is of course way different than working for a regular employer which is why I only half count it. I was paid under the table so I honestly don't remember how much I was paid exactly. After that I got a job scrubbing coffee pots for this company called Take a Break but that was more through this program they had for hiring disabled employees (I am on the Autism spectrum) and was rather brief. The first regular job I had was when I got hired at a grocery store which I still work at. I was hired in the Service Deli but was made a General Merchandise Clerk (non food stocker) because I sucked at it but was promoted to Food Clerk in less than a year which I still am though they came up with this horrible idea of making me a backup checker as well though not having to worry about that was fun while it lasted.

Of course out of all the "first jobs" I had I liked the one at my Dad's restaurant the best, the coffee pot one was eh and the one I am in now though it pays well gives me no end of grief and has been the direct cause of multiple work related knee injuries which I explain in this thread.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/95903-my-injuries-are-catching-up-with-me/

Edited by Black Adam

(edited)

My first job was working as a delivery boy for a respectable lawyer-firm. You know, delivering mail and that sort of stuff. I was 13 at the time, but the pay was quite good for my age - it was around 11 USD an hour, including free lunch.

A shame I couldn't keep it when I turned 14, but whatever. I found another job right after.  :ooh:

Edited by Guest

When I was 17, I worked at McDonald's. I applied to be a cashier, but instead the managers put me into the janitor position. Yep, I spent my shifts cleaning people's messes and restocking napkins, cup lids and whatnot. Not only that, I got to clean the wonderful bathrooms. Gross! Most of the managers and co-workers were mean to me and yelled at me for no reason. After 4 months of working in the trash pit, I left. Now, I have a wonderful babysitting job. For three days a week I watch three adorable kids and I get paid a lot more than what I received at McDonald's ($8.00 an hour whoo!). :D

My first "job" was at freddy fazbears pizzeria.

I was the night guard.

I've heard rumours about that place, how was it? XD

(Also, as I was typing this, my music shuffled to Living Tombstone's FNAF song...creepy O_O)