Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your first job?

kelseymarie805

I was custodian for a state historical reenactment park. While tour carts ferried the tourists & reenactors were sweating to death under 18th century attires, I was either outside staining tables, inside the barn setting up or taking down for parties or weddings, or sweeping up the shops & garages.  I enjoyed my work, just putting on my headphones and being left alone to my craft. Rather peaceful & serene, being outdoors in the woods, staining table after table with the grace of an artist, Admiring the rustic charm of the old world set up, listening to the works of the Cavalera brothers Max & Igor and the Abbott brothers Vinnie Paul & Dimebag Darrell, and contributing to the preservation of state history.

I loved working there and miss it to this day. My boss wanted to keep me around but the state grant used to fund my employment ran out and now I'm stuck in the unengaging, monotonous, forced interaction with the ignorant masses that is the grocery store. Fortunately after so long, I have eyes on better work and hopefully can acquire it in the next few months. 

I was a waiter at my mom's friend's restaurant. I only worked there for about a week, because I was just filling in for someone who was gone. I thought it was kinda fun, but I felt really shy when I was just taking people's orders  :blush:

My first job was gardening. It was job provided by my town for youngsters such as me (about 3-4 years ago, they still do it of course, every town in Iceland does it, however, it is only during the Summer). 

• 3 years later...

I was a camp councilor at an art and music camp teaching kids how to sing, dance, and play guitar, drums, and piano. :D Payed minimum wage but, hey! I loved every second of it!

I delivered pizza when i was a senior in high school until a few months into my first college semester. I left because my boss called me useless. The pay was great for a student fresh to the work force and I didn't hate the work most days, but busy days were tough because my boss would lash out when it got busy. 

(edited)

My first job was working part time in a greenhouse and plant nursery. I only worked there for one year because we shut down in the winter time and I lost my job at that point, but I really did like working there, very nice people, I got some nice tans from being outside, it was pretty good for a first job. I think the only thing I didn't like was the extremely long hours, I would go in early in the morning and not get off until late in the evening, sometimes later if we were behind on closing up the shop. 

Edited by King of Canterlot

(edited)

I've never had a job, though I spent a week cleaning rivets at a warehouse - as part of a program.

Edited by Cash In

• 2 months later...

I got my 1st job as a small engine mechanic at one of the local shops. I learned a lot there and the owners treated me like family. The pay was ok, but spring and summer were brutal. I worked there for over 5 years before I had to resign due to college.

• Brohoof 1

My first job was making architectural renderings for an awning company. They were just simple colored pencil drawings and I got paid $10 per drawing plus commission. It didn't last long because I didn't have a drivers license at the time or a car to go to the locations I was supposed to photograph and draw. (I was rather young). 

Soon after I got longer lasting job as a cave guide. It was just one location so I didn't have to travel around. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit

I was originally going in to work as night maintenance at a restaurant, but I was convinced to become a dishwasher instead. I stayed for 3 years working my way to the day time dishwasher trainer, eventually moving onto become a prep cook. Though they started cutting everyone's hours, and eventually it got to the point where I was losing $100 a month, not to mention the other bullshit they tried to pull on me... so I abandoned ship.

• 2 months later...

My first job was working at six flags, the only good thing that came out of it was free food (just ate what they were going to throw out) rest of it was awful. 

I moved to a newspaper factory, been there for 7ish years.

My first job was as a fry cook at a Dairy Queen. I started at minimum wage, which was $11.20 CAD at the time. The job was kind of gross and I didn't get a lot of hours. The only good thing I can say about the job is that I did eventually start getting payed a bit more than minimum wage. I left the job after ten months. I was getting paid $12.70 then, 50 cents higher than the minimum wage at that point. I was so glad to be out of there though. :yuck:

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
3 minutes ago, JingLBabe said:

Subway “Sandwich Artist”. Ugh, it was the worst. Didn’t eat Subway for years afterwards out of sheer spite.

Why :wacko: ?

Maybe I’ll start a sandwich shop called “Sandwich Artisans” to make fun of them :umad: .

First job for me was a warehouse handling propane phone accessories. Was through an employment agency. Workload was low so I didn’t last much longer than a month so was laid off. Slightly longer time I spent at Elevation Burger.... yum.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, WWolf said:

Why :wacko: ?

Bunch of reasons. Poor management, poor training, gross environment, constantly coming home smelling like stale bread, mayonnaise, and dishwater. And then the final nail in the coffin was being fired for “no showing” because no one told me we got a new manager and that manager switched around my schedule without saying anything to me, despite being in college and needing to have a specific schedule.

Crap job.