Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your favorite decades of music?

Le Kvlt Dawn

21 users have voted

1. 1. Choose something...

• 1900's
    • 1910's
    • 1920's
    • 1930's
    • 1940's
    • 1950's
    • 1960's
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • 2000's
    • 2010's (So far)
    • If it's not made before the twentieth century, it's not real music.
    • I listen to the music from the future, because I'm cool like that.
  2. 2. Do you like today's music?

• Eeyup
    • No
    • A little

(edited)

Yay, I'm making another music related thread. I made it so you can have multiple choices, because I can't choose between the 90's and 00's, and I also like the 80's. And by 80's I'm not refering to any of that cheesy glam crap from back then, I'm refering to the early alternative stuff from back then. As well as some of the early extreme metal from back then.

Don't be shy now, vote or else Ruby the bunny will kill you.

tumblr_mldef1JadE1s0i3dno1_500.gif

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

I chose everything but the 70's and 80's. Fucking horrible decades for music in my opinion. I mostly enjoy electronic from around this time, and classical from the 50's downwards. (I also like some Rock 'n' Roll from the 60's.)

(edited)

Thank god for multiple choices, it would have been very difficult for me otherwise.

I enjoy a lot of Electronic Music, Grunge, Skramz, Sludge Metal and Metalcore from the 90's but I also love the Dubstep, Hardcore Techno in general (J-Core ftw) and the DnB from the past decade (00's). I'll be voting for both the 90's and the 00's because of that.

I liked the 70's and the 80's had some great stuff like Sonic Youth, The Smiths, The Cure, Hüsker Dü etc, but I still enjoy the past two decades a lot more

And for the last question, I like todays music. There are still great Dubstep artists who produces godlike stuff and the Hardcore Techno scene is taking a direction that I rather like

Edited by Chiaki Minami

I chose everything but the 70's and 80's. Fucking horrible decades for music in my opinion. I mostly enjoy electronic from around this time, and classical from the 50's downwards. (I also like some Rock 'n' Roll from the 60's.)

The 80's were both terrible and great. The 70's were alright, I like the early punk from the 70's and London Calling is one of my favorite albums ever. I too like some stuff from the 60's, like The Velvet Underground.

• Brohoof 1

I voted 1900 - 2000, because I like all of the music produced during that time. Except 2010, I like the electronic music though but in general it's not as good as music from the past. It is nothing like the old 50s, it's just stupid today. No passion at all in my opinion, I just want to go back to the muscle car era. 1970s, take me back.. Please, I just want to go back to the time were cars were real cars. Even though the best music was from the 50s, I just want to live in the 1970s. Or at least during the 80s, 90s and the 20s. I want to go back and experience the time were metal was just starting.

I'm certain that I live in the wrong decade, I should have been born during the 1950s, I should have bought a Dodge Challenger 1970s. Then I would have experienced all the cool decades, hopefully not our decade though. I would have been happy to at least have experienced the japanese sport cars era, during the 90s - 20s. Music was cool back then too, what happened to our music. What went wrong.

Only few things I like about our decade, ponies, dubstep and the internet.. Everything else sucks, except italian cars. I'm often very frustrated over the fact that I have missed out on so much, why could I not have been born earlier. It's so obvious that I don't belong here. Still, some of the newer music is good.. But I still just want to go back in time and not come back.

(edited)
I voted 1900 - 2000, because I like all of the music produced during that time. Except 2010, I like the electronic music though but in general it's not as good as music from the past. It is nothing like the old 50s, it's just stupid today. No passion at all in my opinion, I just want to go back to the muscle car era. 1970s, take me back.. Please, I just want to go back to the time were cars were real cars. Even though the best music was from the 50s, I just want to live in the 1970s. Or at least during the 80s, 90s and the 20s. I want to go back and experience the time were metal was just starting.

*sigh* Bro I like the cars from the 40's and 50's too, my cousin is fixing up a 53' Bel Air. But FFS, do you not realize how racist and homophobic people were back then? Life is better now, than it was back then.

I'm certain that I live in the wrong decade, I should have been born during the 1950s, I should have bought a Dodge Challenger 1970s. Then I would have experienced all the cool decades, hopefully not our decade though. I would have been happy to at least have experienced the japanese sport cars era, during the 90s - 20s. Music was cool back then too, what happened to our music. What went wrong.

Music is still good today, I don't know what you're talking about. I wouldn't wasn to live in the 60's, people in high school were being drafted and then there was also all this racism. It's just ugly.

Only few things I like about our decade, ponies, dubstep and the internet.. Everything else sucks, except italian cars. I'm often very frustrated over the fact that I have missed out on so much, why could I not have been born earlier. It's so obvious that I don't belong here. Still, some of the newer music is good.. But I still just want to go back in time and not come back.

It's called progress, each decade hold better life than the next. 

Pretty much the 70s onwards for me: all the stuff I’m into started out in the 70s and grew from there. Although when it comes to modern day music I prefer the underground and not soo much the mainstream :)

(edited)
The 80's I'm really iffy on, some of it was good, though a lot of it was a bother to me, so I'm not gonna choose that one. Most of the music that I listen to is from the 70's and 90's, though there are quite a few great modern artists out there so I'll choose 2000's music. 2010's music even from what we have so far is too hard for me to judge whether it's good or not.

Though anyways lists of my favorite artists and bands from each decade:

70's: Pink Floyd, Brian Eno, Rush, Joy Division, Vangelis, and a couple of others that I can't think of right now

80's: Sonic Youth, The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, and Swans (These are the only 80's bands that I've listened to and liked, no kidding)

90's: Radiohead (FUCK YES), Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Underworld, Aphex Twin, The Crystal Method, The Prodigy, Boards of Canada, Autechre, Squarepusher, My Bloody Valentine, Deftones, Tool, Converge, Moby, Botch, Eyehategod, Neurosis, as well as Skramz and Black Metal bands

00's: Amon Tobin, Death Grips, Wavves, Richard Devine, Norma Jean, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Pig Destroyer, ISIS, Rosetta, Cult of Luna, Pelican, Russian Circles, The Ocean, James Blake, Mount Kimbie, and GAZA

Edited by Moog the Kitteh

@, Maybe life is better I don't know, but of course I know about all the bad stuff. I'm glad that we are no longer like that. But I would still rather want to experience a different decade, although it's only because of the cars. Some of the newer music is ok, but still.. I don't know I guess it's more because of the cars then anything else. Music was still better during that time in my opinion. I just feel like I have missed out on so much, just because I had to be born this late. I don't really care, I'm here.. Our music is the way it is.. Hopefully it will get better, but then again that's just my opinion and I'm not forcing my opinion on you. I still believe that I would have been better off living in the 50s, that way I could maybe have afforded a Dodge Challenger in the 1970s while experiencing good music being played at the time. It's not like I can go relive those decades anyway, so there is no need to think about it.. I already try to do so by listening to a lot of older music.

But no matter what anyone says, I really want to have experienced the muscle car era or at least the japanese sport cars era.

Also 53' Bell air, nice. :)

I like really old stuff from when music was just starting to be recorded, like the 1910s. Not so much for the music itself (although it is pretty good), but for the way it sounded on those old recordings. I don't know why, but I just love the tinny sound of an old recording. Has anyone played the newest Bioshock? I love the old-timey covers of newer music. My favourite is Shiny Happy People.

(edited)
The 80's I'm really iffy on, some of it was good, though a lot of it was a bother to me, so I'm not gonna choose that one. Most of the music that I listen to is from the 70's and 90's, though there are quite a few great modern artists out there so I'll choose 2000's music. 2010's music even from what we have so far is too hard for me to judge whether it's good or not.

I voted for everything from the 80's and onwards. 

80's: Sonic Youth, The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, and Swans (These are the only 80's bands that I've listened to and liked, no kidding)

Have you tried listening to any of the hardcore punk from back then? You might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dFqjAZG-Mw

70's: Pink Floyd, Brian Eno, Rush, Joy Division, Vangelis, and a couple of others that I can't think of right now

I haven't listened to the 70's that much.

70's stuff that I like:

The Clash

Sex Pistols

Pink Floyd

Joy Division

Ramones

Black Sabbath

Led Zeppelin

I think that's it... 

(edited)

I'm not really sure why I chose the 90's. The only band I like from the 90's are Radiohead. You can thank my dad for getting me into Radiohead, he plays their songs every chance he gets. One song I've taken into loving is 'Karma Police'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IBH97ma9YiI

I love their album 'OK Computer' C:

Edited by Vita

I like really old stuff from when music was just starting to be recorded, like the 1910s. Not so much for the music itself (although it is pretty good), but for the way it sounded on those old recordings. I don't know why, but I just love the tinny sound of an old recording. Has anyone played the newest Bioshock? I love the old-timey covers of newer music. My favourite is Shiny Happy People.

You found out about R.E.M. through Bioshock? What the fuck? I know that GTA San Andreas had Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains but... whatever... I just hate it when I'm on a You Tube video and I see the comment "Thumbs up if (insert game here) brought you here". It's annoying, especially towards people (like me) who are actually a fan of a certain band. 

You found out about R.E.M. through Bioshock? What the fuck? I know that GTA San Andreas had Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains but... whatever... I just hate it when I'm on a You Tube video and I see the comment "Thumbs up if (insert game here) brought you here". It's annoying, especially towards people (like me) who are actually a fan of a certain band.

Lol, I knew about R.E.M. Way before XBox even existed. I just really like this cover, that's all. It's funny that the original song was (I think) intended to be sarcastic but the "1912 version" takes the lyrics seriously. I also thought the Girls Just Wanna Have Fun crank organ cover was pretty cool.

I'm not really sure why I chose the 90's. The only band I like from the 90's are Radiohead. You can thank my dad for getting me into Radiohead, he plays their songs every chance he gets. One song I've taken into loving is 'Karma Police'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IBH97ma9YiI

I love their album 'OK Computer' C:

Radiohead are a favorite of mine, It's really hard to choose a favorite album by them. First it was Kid A, then The Bends, and then Pablo Honey and now I think it's OK Computer.

My favorite 90's band, and band ever is Nirvana. Nevermind was the first album I ever listened to in it's entirety. Although I prefer In Utero.

• Brohoof 2

My favorite 90's band, and band ever is Nirvana. Nevermind was the first album I ever listened to in it's entirety. Although I prefer In Utero.

My favorite Radiohead album always was and always will be Kid A. Also I definitely agree with you on In Utero, that one is my favorite Nirvana album, I kind of found Nevermind to be a bit over rated, it's not a bad album, though it doesn't compare to their other stuff.

(edited)

My favorite Radiohead album always was and always will be Kid A. Also I definitely agree with you on In Utero, that one is my favorite Nirvana album, I kind of found Nevermind to be a bit over rated, it's not a bad album, though it doesn't compare to their other stuff.

How dare you call Nevermind overrated. It's the album that put an end to all those crappy hair bands from the 80's, and it's the album that told the baby boomer generation to take their latest issue of Rolling Stone and shoove it up their @ss. Music in general has a bias  toward the baby boomer generation, that pisses me off.

How dare you call Nevermind overrated. It's that album that put an end to all those crappy hair bands from the 80's, and it's the album that told the baby boomer generation to take their latest issue of Rolling Stone and shoove it up their ass. Music in general has a bias  toward the baby boomer generation, that pisses me off.

Well in that sense, it isn't over rated, I should of been more specific from what I was trying to say, I find it over rated in the sense of how most people think that it is their best album, while I disagree.

Well in that sense, it isn't over rated, I should of been more specific from what I was trying to say, I find it over rated in the sense of how most people think that it is their best album, while I disagree.

Oh, well I agree with you there. I just hate how people look at the 60's and the 70's as the "goldern era" of music. I would say that an album like Doolittle by the Pixies  is just as good as something like Dark Side of the Moon or Led Zeppelin IV.

You know what, guys? I'm just going to come right out and say it. I love Poison. It's the honest Applejack truth. I wish there had been a cover of Talk Dirty To Me in Bioshock.

Poison? You mean that shitty hair band from the 80's? Ughh, I hate Poison. they're one of those bands that just make me cringe my teeth. 

(edited)

Poison? You mean that shitty hair band from the 80's? Ughh, I hate Poison. they're one of those bands that just make me cringe my teeth.

I know, right? I am just the absolute worst! My favourite thing ever is the videos they made that just looked like a concert with no audience and a bunch of fog machines and coloured lights. I love the way they would mug for the cameras and make sexy pouty faces and non-threatening fake rock and roll screams. Edited by Princess Lona

I know, right? I am just the absolute worst!

Uhhmm... You kinda are.

I love the way they would mug for the cameras and make sexy pouty faces and non-threatening fake rock and roll screams.

Girls are into that stuff? *sigh*

I'd just thought I'd clarify some things, when I say that I like 80's music.

80's music that I like:

80's music that I hate and that other people like:

I think that clears things up.

I think that clears things up.

*sees the name "Livin' on a Prayer" *

tumblr_mfck7kzBXx1ruc8hho1_500.gif

That song makes me want to bash my head against a brick wall. It sounds so horrible, I don't see how people could honestly like that song.

• Brohoof 1

OMG!!!!! I LOVE THAT SONG! I love it when I'm at a wedding and everybody gets real drunk and they play that song at the end of the night and we all sing along but we forget most of the words to the verses and just sort of mumble, but it's okay because when the chorus comes in we all get super loud again! You are the coolest, we should be brony friends!