Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike the dog?

pinkiepool

As a fellow member of the honorable race of dragons i find this an insult to the fair and proud species of legendary creatures. The poor guy has been pictured almost like a slave or not important friend and now he is no more than a pet, racism all over the place if you ask me.

• Brohoof 1

I think he's kinda adorable as a dog. I've always seen EG in a neutral to positive light, and this is no different. It would be pretty straightforward to have him a child, but this adds some nice variation, as well as a new plot device.
We've only seen pony characters turned into humans, so I'd not be surprised if the change to human was pony-exclusive.

• Brohoof 1

i dont know, spike the dog has been posted everywhere i have seen equestria girls. i also dont see what else he could be. a bird? a cat? i think not.

I think spike should be a lizard like a gecko or something... i mean he should at least stay in the reptilian class. I don't know, i guess i just don't think spike is a mammalian kind of guy you know?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

this makes me sad for spike :'( he is twilight's PET not her friend?!?! thats bs, it makes spike seem like he is a companion that's totally bogus! if he was going to be a pet, he should have been like a lizard or something that makes sense 

Edited by Luna forever

• 1 month later...

I didn't think I'd like spike as a dog but it turns out he was so adorable and took to being a dog well! What do you guys thing? Spike was super cute as a doggy or not so much? Favorite Spike moments?

@@PnutFuzzy,

Hello there. We already happened to have a thread about Spike being a dog in the movie, and sharing how we felt about it. As this was the subject of your thread, they have been merged together.

Oh I didn't know. :) Ah well I like spike as a doggy and he's cute. The way he was in the movie made me smile and just how he took to being a dog was just so funny.

This was definitely one of the more.... questionable decisions in Equestria Girls. 

It didn't ruin the movie for me, but if kind of felt awkward. 

I've never viewed Spike as a 'pet', I've seen him as Twilight's little brother. Turning him into a dog was kind of insulting to the character. 

It was also quite awkward when Spike was flirting with Rarity, him being a dog and all. 

• Brohoof 1

Why is being a dog considered degrading/insulting? Does society look down on dogs that much? There's really no difference in Spike's character except that his DNA has changed from dragon to canine. He hangs around Twilight, helps her with her problems, and is her moral support. His role did not change.

I do see Spike as younger brother to Twilight more so than a "pet", but, firstly, 8-year-old brothers can't accompany their big sisters to high school. In order to still allow him a main role, they just made him more portable. And most importantly, dogs aren't necessarily "pets" - they can be best friends, children, and even siblings - all that matters is whether you treat them like a servant or like a friend.

If you have a dog or two, imagine what they might feel like if they knew how little you think they're worth. sad.png

Spike the dog worked for me.  After all, ponies and dragons are two different species after all, so the best way to equate that in Equestria Girls would be to make Spike a dog (how else would he have been able to hitch along with Twilight in the school).

Most importantly, Spike was still Spike.  Still helping out, still snarky, and still crushing on Rarity.  Remember that Spike jumped in after Twilight despite everypony saying no.  He doesn't care what happens to himself, he had to be there for Twilight, no matter what.  Even if that means he had to be a dog.

• Brohoof 1

He was still able to talk and wasn't just there to "be there", so I'm completely okay with it.

Also I thought it was kind of an interesting change, Twilight changing from quadrupedal to bipedal with hands and Spike the other way round.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 years later...
On 2013-05-15 at 5:21 AM, ~StatesTheOblivious~ said:

Well, the Problem is... Every single Person, no matter if intended audience or brony, will have to seperate EqG from FiM. We have "the same" characters in both. And now we have Spike the dog. I hope, Meghan saved the movie from destroying itself automatically through its premise by her writing-skills. But having to make the only male main character, a sentient, equal being in FiM a "pet"... I don't know if Hasbro ignores the message that Comes straight to my mind with that.... Something like "An intelligent being of another species cannot be equal to a human in this spinoff or a Pony in general"...

This marketing-guy said something about ways of identification with the shows characters, but do you want to identify yourself with a "pet"?

Well, we just have to wait until we can judge it.

Sadly Meghan destroyed Spike's character by making him a dog..

On 2013-06-27 at 3:02 PM, Blique said:

Why is being a dog considered degrading/insulting? Does society look down on dogs that much? There's really no difference in Spike's character except that his DNA has changed from dragon to canine. He hangs around Twilight, helps her with her problems, and is her moral support. His role did not change.

I do see Spike as younger brother to Twilight more so than a "pet", but, firstly, 8-year-old brothers can't accompany their big sisters to high school. In order to still allow him a main role, they just made him more portable. And most importantly, dogs aren't necessarily "pets" - they can be best friends, children, and even siblings - all that matters is whether you treat them like a servant or like a friend.

If you have a dog or two, imagine what they might feel like if they knew how little you think they're worth. sad.png

Its degrade since he's a freaking SAPIENT being.
Its saying he's a pet to Twilight instead of a equal being. 
It did change his role since it killed his potential, since it REALLY restricted what he could do since he's stuck as a do.

Two, the human CMC are Freshmen there and since Spike is older than them, he can easily be there as a Freshmen too.
Heck you could say he skipped a grade or two. 

Some people see dogs more than pets, but like it or not its the universal statement that dogs are PETS.

On 2013-06-27 at 5:21 PM, Astrobrony said:

Spike the dog worked for me.  After all, ponies and dragons are two different species after all, so the best way to equate that in Equestria Girls would be to make Spike a dog (how else would he have been able to hitch along with Twilight in the school).

Most importantly, Spike was still Spike.  Still helping out, still snarky, and still crushing on Rarity.  Remember that Spike jumped in after Twilight despite everypony saying no.  He doesn't care what happens to himself, he had to be there for Twilight, no matter what.  Even if that means he had to be a dog.

That makes no sense since dragons are SAPIENT as ponies are.

Spike is still Spike but him being a dog is demeaning to his character and badly restricts his involvement/potential.
He can easily still be with Twilight to help if he was human.