Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Pegasi's Society

Bronydash

Lots of people question about how the pegasi society works, since it seems to be the least known about. Its shown in Hearth's warming eve it is shown that the pegasi was a military type fraction in the older days, oddly enough this reminded my of the Spartans. If we are to consider that the pegasi society was similar to the Spartan's then it would also explain why we rarely see pegasi with their parents, as Spartans sent their children away at a young age to train to be soldiers. Of course the pegasi don't seem to be an army anymore, but the principal might still stand but instead of learning to fight they go to flight camp. Now we do see some pegasi with their parents throughout the series, and I belief this is because these pegasi have split off from the old ways completely, as I also belief the events in MLPFIN is taking place in a major changing point in pony history. So yea thats what I think about the pegasi, they are the Spartans of equestria.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but I'm just wondering: Where the heck are the parents when they send them away? Are they already in the army? Yes, I believe they could be the fighters of Equestria, but then in Equestria, where are they send off to, is what I ask? The Wonderbolt Academy?

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but I'm just wondering: Where the heck are the parents when they send them away? Are they already in the army? Yes, I believe they could be the fighters of Equestria, but then in Equestria, where are they send off to, is what I ask? The Wonderbolt Academy?

The flight school :P, and their parents probably are like the Spartans, they don't really spend that much time with their children after they get out of training, and I don't think that the entire pegasi population is the army of equastria, I was saying that in the Hearth's warming eve time period they was probably an army, but now they have split of from the main type like the other pony groups have.

This line of thinking does make sense. We have only seen Pegasi with their parents when they are at a young age. Perhaps instead of sending them off to fight, (My headcanon is that the Wonderbolts are something like Equestria's official Airforce,) they send them to learn to work for themselves?

• Brohoof 1

Well I must of said it wrong, I'm not saying that modern pegasi are being sent to a school to learn to fight, I'm saying that the pegasi are being sent to the flight school/ flight camp. We see the flight camp in a few flashbacks with Fluttershy, and Rainbowdash, and it seems that many young pegasi were a part of it.

(edited)

The parents aren't shown for simplicity of familial context.

Most of the show episodes are not about parents, ergo parents are not shown. (See the Chekhov's Gun Principle of Drama.)

The whole motif of the Pegasi being run as a military faction does not strike me with the notion of a Stratocracy (begging the pun on the cloud name) as much as being a visual differentiation of the behaviours of the Unicorns and Earth ponies in the Hearth's Warming Eve episode. Perhaps the Pegasi were run by a military elite, perhaps the Unicorns were run by a Monarchy, perhaps the Earth ponies were run under a Chancellory. But regardless of what they seemed to be from the play, I would argue that since each faction of ponies was only represented by a leader and their subordinate in all appearances, I daresay such appearances are symbolic.

Hearth%27s_Warming_Eve_carol_panorama_S2

One hundred years ago, if you got the leaders and one subordinate of the United Kingdom, United States and Russia together, the meeting would consist of King George V with Prime Minister H.H. Asquith, President Woodrow Wilson with Vice- Thomas Marshall, and Emperor Tsar Nicholas the II with maybe Rasputin.

But at the end of the meetings, the King would go back to a Parliament, the President would go meet with Congress, and the Tsar would, I don't know, hang out with the army to go persecute some Jews or something.

But the point is that those leaders with their second-hand man by their side didn't constitute the whole situ of their nation's respective government. So I would think that while Commander Hurricane and Private Pansy would be indicative of what Cloudsdale's military history could be visualized like, I do not think that it was wholly representative of all pegasi being part of a military lineage.

In regards to going to flight camp, it would seem that flight is a mandatory part of life in Cloudsdale.

That said, flight is not intuitive unless you're a bird. And even then, it's very hard. Pegasi are only part-bird at best (and still share most of their physique with equines) so while it may be important for them to learn, it wouldn't be first nature from the very outset, I don't think. Then again, we see in Baby Cakes that new-born pegasi are very adept at quicky getting out and about, so who knows.

I just think that a military caste with cruel implications doesn't belong in my headcanon, just like guns.

Edited by Blue

Well its possible thats how the society works, maybe they are just separated from their  parents, of course it must be after birth sometime since Rainbow is seen with her dad in a flashback already in S3.

But it does explain why they haven't been seen since and neither has fluttershy's. 

Of course idk, I still think that after a while they get to see their families, especially like Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy who are already out of Flight school for one reason or another, and have returned to cloudsdale before.

But its a theory, i'm not totally sure if I believe it or not though.