Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Engineers, anyone?

Null_user

Hey there!

Just curious how many engineers bronies are out there! A bit about myself: I'm currently a sophomore at Purdue University, studying aeronautical engineering. I'd like to work for either a general or defense aviation company someday, possibly as a test engineer or airframe designer.

If you're studying to become an engineer or already work in the field, tell me a bit about you! Any advice, stories, or just about anything about the field you'd like to share? I'd sure love to hear it!

• Brohoof 4

Injection molding, eh? That reminds me of the 3D printing software we have for my department. It's not injection-based; rather, it prints layer by layer of microscopically thin material to build a solid object of pretty much any shape. Some cool examples of this can be seen with custom phone cases (I've seen one with working gears in the back of it!) and even lego pieces. If you have an idea for a cool piece in mind, say, all you need are the dimensions in some sort of CAD program and voila!

Thanks for sharing and props to your pop!

img-1714947-1-engineer-tf2-freddre.jpg

...oh, those engineers.

Right now I'm going to college at New England Institute of Technology and majoring in network engineering. I don't have my degree yet, but I may or may not go for a bachelor's. I kinda have a feeling I might not be able to get a job as easily as others due to a long history of injuries to my right arm :|

Edited by Daring
  • Brohoof 1

I would call myself a software engineer since I know QBasic, but that'd be the overstatement of the century I think. Considering QBasic is an ancient, and probably considered obsolete language by now.

• Brohoof 1

@Daring, Nice! Go for it man, if that's what you really want to do! A good employer *should* hire you for your skills, not your lack of limitations.

@~Scootaloo, You're talking to someone who was forced to learn C, which although not obsolete (I can transfer C skills to derivatives like C++ and many other languages), is still ancient. So I definitely hear you. Also, programming is most definitely not my forte, but rather something I learned as a part of my first-year introductory courses.

@Three Wolf Moon, Go ME! Many of my friends are studying mechanical engineering, and heck, although I would deny it in public, even my discipline is essentially an extension of mechanical engineering.

When I go to college I'll be studying software engineering. That is, if I can keep wanting to do that for the next four years. I also have a friend who wants to go into aeronautical, another who wants robotics, and a third who isn't sure yet.

That is, if I can keep wanting to do that for the next four years.

@Randomdacts137, Understatement of the century!

I kid. Personally, studying engineering has been tiresome at times, but it has never to this point failed to be rewarding in the end. I truly do hope you find software engineering to be something that you find fun and rewarding. If it becomes a burden or something you feel like you're not meant to do, you'll know it.

@Three Wolf Moon, Actually, no. I graduated from a small private high school and had access to only the basic AP classes. Specialized stuff like that I have no knowlwdge about! Wish I did though, as I feel many people go into engineering with unrealistic expectations (myself included). If you wanna know more about engineering, I'd be glad to tell you what I can! PM me sometime.

@Three Wolf Moon, Oh for sure! Yeah, no expectations at all for promptness. I'm usually only online for a little while every day, myself.

On a side note, brohoof for band practice. I'm a bass player, electric and upright. Rusty though, since I couldn't have my intruments in my dorm!

• Brohoof 1

Hey there!

Just curious how many engineers bronies are out there! A bit about myself: I'm currently a sophomore at Purdue University, studying aeronautical engineering. I'd like to work for either a general or defense aviation company someday, possibly as a test engineer or airframe designer.

If you're studying to become an engineer or already work in the field, tell me a bit about you! Any advice, stories, or just about anything about the field you'd like to share? I'd sure love to hear it!

That's actually the exact field I want to go into.

Though it's a matter of some consternation for me;

I'm 22 and I'd have to upgrade my math to get enrolled in Mechanical Engineering to get started in something like that. The lack of higher technical detail requirements is why I started myself into the direction of Digital Art, but I haven't solidified myself in that direction.

Is aircraft design a thing? What sort of other knowledge should I or ought I have for that? I was thinking about brushing up on my math to get Calculus, as well as taking Physics so I wouldn't have to do Math 101 and 201 before attending Mech at UBC. I also hear sometimes mention of fluid dynamics and chemistry being of use.

Edited by Blue

i am currently in a dutch engineering course.

i have no idea what the english term for it is but in dutch it's called 
Algemeen

Operationeel

Techniekus

or just AOT in short :)

I'm not an engineer, but my father is an electrical engineer and my grandfather was a mechanical engineer. My brother double majored in college, one of which is also electrical engineering (he's studying to be a patent attorney).

I'm seriously considering switching my major to physics, which is pretty closely related to engineering. Maybe I could be the next Neil Degrasse Tyson (minus the douchebag part).

@Daring, Nice! Go for it man, if that's what you really want to do! A good employer *should* hire you for your skills, not your lack of limitations.
Oh yeah, it's definitely what I want to do, I didn't really get IP addressing after my first Cisco class but after four tutoring sessions over the summer I'm configuring routers and building networks like I've been doing it for years. I'm honestly amazed by how quickly I picked it up, I'm normally terrible with numbers but yet figuring out class C addressing comes naturally to me. It's like I was born for this.

@Three Wolf Moon, Oh for sure! Yeah, no expectations at all for promptness. I'm usually only online for a little while every day, myself.

On a side note, brohoof for band practice. I'm a bass player, electric and upright. Rusty though, since I couldn't have my intruments in my dorm!

Brohoof for bass since my close friend is a bass player! I'm a flute though. For some reason when I first heard that instrument play, I wanted to 'Make that sound'.

That's actually the exact field I want to go into.

Though it's a matter of some consternation for me;

I'm 22 and I'd have to upgrade my math to get enrolled in Mechanical Engineering to get started in something like that. The lack of higher technical detail requirements is why I started myself into the direction of Digital Art, but I haven't solidified myself in that direction.

Is aircraft design a thing? What sort of other knowledge should I or ought I have for that? I was thinking about brushing up on my math to get Calculus, as well as taking Physics so I wouldn't have to do Math 101 and 201 before attending Mech at UBC. I also hear sometimes mention of fluid dynamics and chemistry being of use.

Aeronautics. Nuff said.

My friend actually wants to go into that field. Also, math is very, very helpful for any type of engineering.

@Blue, What Randomfacts137 said. Aircraft design can, I suppose, be summed up into aeronautics or aeronautical engineering. Although technically there are MANY components of aircraft design (for instance, as I mentioned before, I would like to design airframes, while I would rather not design, say, engines or interiors), and aeronautics covers more than just design. Did that make any sense at all?

What I would say is look up a degree plan for an engineering field at your college/university, and if you're serious about venturing into an engineering degree, then start knocking out the basic requirements. For the most part, the classes you mentioned are all needed for basics (Calc up through level III, or multivariate, physics through mechanics and electricity/optics, and a bit of chem), while things like fluid mechanics get pretty major-specific. I believe I'll take that in my next semester, while this semester I'm taking thermodynamics. And differential equations. And upper-level aeromechanics. And introductory aerospace design. And electrical/optical physics.

Am I even gonna sleep? There's so much to take, it gets overwhelming at times!

@Winged Ratchet, best of luck in your future endeavors! Only you can decide what's best for you, what you love, and what you feel you're good at, but of course I have to tout the mechanical side of things, as I am someone who loves vehicles, specifically aircraft.

@Everyone else who has shared thus far, thank you! I love hearing your stories! :)

• Brohoof 1

*Sigh*. Computer sciences, Computers are fun, and it'll pay well once I'm out of college, but...

All. That. Math.

tumblr_mbia5oYZ8c1rstfoqo1_500.gif

Aside from the math, I've enjoyed it so far. Let's just hope I can keep that up. :P

@CloudFyre, Eeeeyup. I only have 6 credit hours of math left before I'm done with courses in the math department, personally. It's not that I don't like math, but in all honesty some of the ridiculous upper level math that's required is kind of, erm, less than extremely uselful in an actual profession... Or so it seems to me. Could be that I'm wrong, and I guess in that case I'll be thankful!

Gah it's pretty intimidating looking at the research I'm doing for post-secondary.

University of British Columbia has a pretty reputable hold on its Mech. But if money was no object and I was going pell-knell with no regard for money or risk, McGill and University of Toronto are Canada's equivalent to MIT.

The main reasons for such expense (barring the fact of what those Universities are) would be how I'd have to relocate to the other side of Canada to attend.

But it would be so cool learning this Aeronautics stuff. "Oh me? I'm an aircraft designer."

Just like how my cousin's boyfriend says he's a Nuclear Mechanical Engineer, and a Junior researcher for TRIUMF.

Edited by Blue