Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Irony of The Fandom And The Fanmade

Brynjar Gundersen

Am I the only one that finds it ironic,that this fandom is the one based more or less the most about 'smiles, Kindness and laughter'.
And at the same alot of the fandom-made is so..damn..depressing? T.T
For example the fan-fic My Little Dashie (wich is still get sad about thinking about ._.) and all the depressing songs? Like Koroshi-Ya- Rainbow and TheDashDub Ft. Feather- Never Alone
It's just.. wat .-.
And wierdly enough most of the depressing things are abut RD, that again is ironic concidering her persistant personality T.T

• Brohoof 1

Moved to Sugarcube, as it's related to the fandom, not the show itself :3

Secondly, yes. The more lovely, cute, adorable and innococent the show a fandom watches is, the more liable the fandom is to take those things and crush them under grimdark, sadness and depression :P The very reason grimdark runs rampant through this fandom like the black plague is because of how innocent the show is. Sadly, it's just one of those human things.

• Brohoof 4

a lot of the fanfics are depressing, they have to have an element kind of like that to feel a but deeper. it is one of the easiest ways to convey that idea. feels aren't always smiles and happy things

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I definitely noticed this too. It seems that darker and more depressing content are all the rage now. While I don't have a problem with sad stuff, I wish people would start making things more happier and positive. Stay true to the show, know what I mean? mlp-tbob.png

Some people live by that whole "The more innocent something is, the better it feels to corrupt it" nonsense. So of course you're going to find a ridiculous amount of fanon that is obsessed with making the world of MLP as grim and sad as possible, I myself love a good story. Whether it's sad, or gritty or what have you, but there' just so many that I just guess some people like to throw as much edgy shit as possible into the bowl, to make ponies more "masculine"

• Brohoof 2

I know what you mean. It's weird. I personally dislike all the grimdark and horror stuff, honestly. I feel it is just out of place for a show about happy technicolor ponies. One example being Cupcakes. I don't like it, at all. I can never see Pinkie Pie as a psychopath and feel that the story itself is lame. I like sad to a certain extent. If it's something I can see happening in the show, I'll like it. If it's something I would never see happening, I'm very "ehh" about it. You're right too. Rainbow Dash usually does get the short end of the stick for whatever reason. I don't know what's up with that.

Because many of the people here come to escape the darkness, and one of the ways to deal with it is to give is some tangible form and confront it. It all comes down to "earn your happy ending" in a lot of cases, a happy ending means that much more, and is that much happier if the character had to overcome so much to reach it. It's that way for the audience as well, that feel of confronting what you fear with a hero you look up to by your side the whole time, standing by you.   

"Before I can show you heaven, I have to show you hell. "

As for sadness, we all have to cry. It reminds us were human when we feel so much for another, even a fictional character in a story. Hell, I though I had forgotten how until I read "a Filly's Final Dream" and "Comfort in Leaving".

Fics like the later give somewhat of a bittersweet feeling, you cry in sadness for their passing, but it's mixed with tears of joy from seeing that they went home in the end. It's a hell of a experience and feeling. 

All and all, it's about confronting things and overcoming them. Fear, sadness, horror, anger, regret, and whatever else you have bottled up inside. 

I know what you mean. It's weird. I personally dislike all the grimdark and horror stuff, honestly. I feel it is just out of place for a show about happy technicolor ponies. One example being Cupcakes. I don't like it, at all. I can never see Pinkie Pie as a psychopath and feel that the story itself is lame. I like sad to a certain extent. If it's something I can see happening in the show, I'll like it. If it's something I would never see happening, I'm very "ehh" about it. You're right too. Rainbow Dash usually does get the short end of the stick for whatever reason. I don't know what's up with that.

The product of poor writing, and people that can't write horror or emotion to save their souls. It makes all the darker fic look bad. 

I personaly don't have anythng against it, I like depressing songs and fanfic..it's just so overly ironic .-. haha
Tho some of the currupt fanmade makes me never see the show as it used to be. Like the whole ''pinkie turns into a murdering psycopath when her hair gets straight'' thingy

My favorite MLP fan fics are the ones that stay closest to the show's theme. They are hard to find sometimes, but when you do it's usually worth the hunt.

Edited by Sylentmana