Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Biblical references in FiM

Forlong

A lot of people are wondering what's up with evil being sealed for 1,000 years.  Well, it was actually God's idea first; or last, depending on how you look at it.

You see, in the book of Revelation, Saint John has a vision of the end of days.  After Satin's defeat, he is chained and thrown down a bottomless pit.  1,000 years later, the seal is removed and he's given a second chance, which promptly squanders.  So God incinerates him and throws his soul into the lake of fire.  Because burning him to death once didn't make the message clear enough, I guess.

Anyway, can anypony find any other Biblical references in FiM?

So in the show, Satan is represented by... whom? Nightmare Moon, Discord or King Sombra? I'm pretty sure there isn't much biblical related stuff in the show... it has much more of a Greek mythology (Manticores, Cockatrices, Tartarus and Cerberus) vibe, so maybe you should be looking at Titans and such.

Edited by Full Spectrum

ok this is going to sound rather strange but here goes:

In the bible (and especially Revelations) if any multiple of 10 years (in this case 1000) is use it is not talking about the literal time, it is instead referring to a complete set of time, this set could be any number of years and would usually require some outside knowledge to know the actual time.

So lets apply this

1000 years since NM sealed: complete time set of Celestia ruling alone

1000 years since Discord sealed: complete set of time when harmony ruled

1000 years for Crystal Empire: complete set of time that Crystal Empire was gone/Sombra was gone

If you can see some "biblical references", then you must be looking pretty damn hard, man. I mean, it's like those youtube videos that are picking out the most insignificate reasons to say: "This show is for satanists", like... Oh, I know. There are six main characters, six colors on the elements of harmony rainbow, and six spikes on spike's back = 666. OMG THISS SHUW IZ EVIL.

O_e

Being a very proud Christian myself, I am unfortunately baffled by this theory. Isn't there a Kung Fu Panda quote about this? It's something like, "Actually it was 937 years. But a thousand just sounds cooler." 

Frankly, I think a thousand years isn't a Biblical reference, it's just a "they were put away for a really really long time and now they're BACK!"

There are Biblical references in the show, but you have to look pretty hard. Although there is evidence of religion in Equestria, which I suppose could vaguely parallel Christian beliefs, but other then that...eh? 

Also, it's a kids show. Why do people keep forgetting this?

• Brohoof 2

So, just because they use the words "a thousand years" and because an antagonist was banished for that time, you think it's automatically a biblical reference? I'm actually glad that they don't put any actual religious references into the show. There is a difference between a reference and an accidental resemblance. These are not intended, otherwise they'd actually have problems with broadcasting the show around the world.

Being a very proud Christian myself, I am unfortunately baffled by this theory. Isn't there a Kung Fu Panda quote about this? It's something like, "Actually it was 937 years. But a thousand just sounds cooler." 

Not Kung Fu Panda, but I found one that is almost like that.

I also don't think they are using biblical references for the thousand year thing. It's just a good estimated time point for events that well take place.

You'd have to think really hard to find Biblical references that's for sure. However, there's a plethora of Biblical principles, like loving enemies (see Keep Calm and Flutter On) and understanding faith as expressed in "Feeling Pinkie Keen".

Feeling Pinkie Keen is the closest thing at all that I could think of and even that is a stretch. Ironically that was one of my least favorite episodes moral-wise but I digress. I really cannot think of anything else that isn't either extremely vague or just common sense, like being friendly and stuff.

Feeling Pinkie Keen is the closest thing at all that I could think of and even that is a stretch. Ironically that was one of my least favorite episodes moral-wise but I digress. I really cannot think of anything else that isn't either extremely vague or just common sense, like being friendly and stuff.

I didn't think it was a stretch at all.

It teaches you that somethings just can't be explained it's a direct jab at people who literally need to see everything.

the irony being that seeing as how twilight is celesitals number one disciple you think of all people she'd be the last one who'd need to learn that lesson lol