Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Least Favorite Genres of Music

Le Kvlt Dawn

Why did you quote me when it comes to hip hop, I didn't bring anything up about that genre I mentioned rap ... unless hip hop is related to rap?

Well they're related. I think rapping is the name of the technique, where as hip-hop is the actual genre (I could be wrong). 

Maybe you can give me an example of death metal that incorporates jazz?

Alrighty then.

Also when it comes to music like death metal I cannot help but feel it's... It's depressing. I admit I'm not much for music that is overly depressive, dark, angry, or aggressive.

*sigh* I listen to everything from black metal to J-pop. I'll listen to anything as long as it's good.

Also can you give me an example of true dubstep, perhaps a youtube link? I admit I'm not quite sure what it is and I'm not even certain if I've ever heard it be played. I probably have, I just don't recognize it by the name of dubstep.

I haven't dug too deep into the genre, but okay.

• Brohoof 1

most genres that ends in "step or "core" dubstep, night core..etc.

aKzxenZ_460sa.gif

^And that is how dubstep is made.

Deatth and screamo and any variation of them., you can hardly hear what they're singing, it's usually a gargled mess.and just painful to listen to in my opinion. Sounds like a bunch of try hards that can't sing, singing. and most of it sounds the same to me. 

Most rap...it's usually about guns, drugs, gangs and a lot of swearing....which I could care less about.Only rapper I listen to is Eminem.

(Based mode on) 

I really hate Metal and House, as well as Techno, Trance, and Dubstep. None really catch my eye (or ear for that matter), and  all are kind of boring, except Dubstep, which is just not my style.

• Brohoof 1

(Based mode on) 

I really hate Metal and House, as well as Techno, Trance, and Dubstep. None really catch my eye (or ear for that matter), and  all are kind of boring, except Dubstep, which is just not my style.

How can you hate House? D:

- - - -

There aren't really any genres that I hate. But my least favourite are Rock and Metal. I'm not going to bother explaining why they're my least favourite cos I know I'll probably just be quoted with 10 paragraphs of why I'm wrong.

• Brohoof 2

The worst type of music is all this brony crap that keeps pumping out seriously will they ever stop?

Honestly, I really don't have a least favorite genre, I tend to like most music whether it's Crystal Castles or Rage Against the Machine :P

Hot Topic bands are really on the lowest bar for me though, I just don't think screaming and growling without meaning doesn't sound that good. 

Lol, most of ya'll act like that music genre murdered your family, it's hilarious. 

• Brohoof 2

While I obviously dislike the corporate zombie genre of music, like Beiber, One Direction, and Cyrus, the two that bother me more are Country and Rap, as well as hip hop. Hip hop is not as bad is certain cases because of the music behind it and sometimes some rap can have some meaningful words, though the words stoo destroyed the English language and this was mainly early rap.

Country, I cannot stand it. Almost all of it is based around clichès like 'partying' and 'tractors' and 'hometown goodness' and all of that stuff. I mean, when so many songs are about these same subjects over and over and over again, it begins to feel like a market exploitation rather than anything meaningful. I could ignore the pointless lyrics of these songs if the music itself were good. Sadly, almost every country song of the specific categories have extreme similarities in the sounds, chords, beat, what have you, they all sound eerily similar to each other and they all end on the same kind of notes. If I were some musical genius who remembers what those notes were, I could easily spot and identify them in many songs I guarantee it. Even then, the music isn't even engaging. At least if two heavy metal songs sound exactly the same I can get some energy from it. With country, the obvious focus is on the vocals and as I established, that is pretty pointless.

Rap, yeah, just, no, especially any kind of rap in the past 12 years or so. Just the fact that America has made people like TI or Soulja Boy or 50 Cent multi millionaires shows some pathetic parts to the American music 'industry'. Give me Ghost Love Score over this garbage any millennia. Not the same type of music yes, but the difference is that one is music, the other....not so much. Again, some of the beats might be, but rapping itself, is not, not by a longshot.

Dubstep is one of those things where I do think it is enjoyable, but it is also incredibly and unbelievably overrated, in my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

Like 90 percent of rap, all it seems to do is talk about sex, drugs, and money as well swears a lot.

SOOO with ya there! there are a scant few rap songs that I actually like, mainly because the content of the song doesn't fall under the typical categories of the glorification of drugs, objectification of women, and justifying committing murder or acts of violence. 

Like many of you, I also don't like country music, as it is too -- twangy-- for me. I can't really place why I don't like as well as I can with rap, but it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

While I can't stand most of western Pop, I thoroughly enjoy JPop, and I'm starting to come around to KPop as well. Please don't hurt me!

Edited by Hypn0ticD

(edited)

Generally I don't hate any genre in music, but rap is pretty much not my cup of tea for sure. Other than that I just dislike "modern" pop like Bieber or One Direction and generic/boring/both "copy-paste" bands that wanted to earn some cash on popularity of bigger bands by mindless copying their music (just check some "underground" power metal bands to see, what I mean). Also I dislike some of this "avantgarde" stuff like 4'33". Yeah, 4 minutes of total silence, so deep music... dry.png

Edited by Sajtan92

Death and screamo and any variation of them., you can hardly hear what they're singing, it's usually a gargled mess.and just painful to listen to in my opinion. Sounds like a bunch of try hards that can't sing, singing. and most of it sounds the same to me.

I don't really think that Screamo is the word you're looking for, not everything with screaming is known as Screamo, it has a different vocal style (or just higher pitched screaming to say the less), and it's instrumentation is much more raw sounding in comparison to other Hardcore genres. Also Death Metal and Screamo have no similarities what-so-ever.

No, they don't use screaming/growling or any harsh vocals because they can't sing, they do it because it conveys the emotion of the music better than clean vocals do (hatred, anger, despair etc.) and trust me it's more than just a gargled mess, a lot of Hardcore bands are actually Christians (more so in Metalcore than any other Hardcore based genre), and can provide very deep and meaningful lyrics, even the non-Christian Hardcore bands provide deep lyrics.

" If you're gonna have roads. You're gonna have roadkill, that's the risk that it takes."

- The Diplomat (Pig Destroyer)

"I need you to be the strength of widows and soul survivors, I need you to be as fearless as new mothers and new fathers, I need you to be the hope of hearts who lost true love ."

- Last Light (Converge)

"I thought you'd come back at least I prayed (so I prayed), The romance has been dead (the romance is dead, the romance is dead), For years (you come back), But I've been too afraid to dig the grave (so I prayed), Relief support never came"
-When The Sun Sleeps (Underoath)
Those are only just a few examples.

As for Death Metal, I can't really say much about it, since I'm no fan of it as well, but there's more to it than what other people think as well, that's what I know.

And as for the sound of it, I get what you're saying, it's all an acquired taste, it's not the easiest stuff to listen to, and it actually took me a while to adjust to harsher sounding vocals.
Edited by Moog
  • Brohoof 2

Guess my least favorite genres would be

Pop, no thanks

Country, not entirly but some i cant stand, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson can stay

Newer rap, I dont mind old school, NWA, Tupac , Biggie, newer stuff just bothers me

(edited)
^And that is how dubstep is made.

...Uhhm no. Here's some dubstep.

Deatth and screamo and any variation of them., you can hardly hear what they're singing, it's usually a gargled mess.and just painful to listen to in my opinion. Sounds like a bunch of try hards that can't sing, singing. and most of it sounds the same to me. 

Like Moog already said, it's not that "they can't sing". It's just that they use harsh vocals to express their anger, frustration, angst, etc.

As a fan of both death metal and screamo, I can assure you that they're not even closely related. Death metal is a subgenre of metal that started off as an offshoot of thrash metal. Screamo is a subgenre of hardcore punk that evolved from emo. When people use the word "screamo", 99% of the time they have no idea what they're talking about. 99% of the time, people can't even name a legitimate screamo (or emo) band.

Edited by Akari Akaza

Honestly, I don't really know. I enjoy everything for the most part.

I enjoy...

• The stuff on the radio such as Imagine Dragons, Lorde, Lady Gaga, ect.
  • Bands such as Green Day, Paramore, Avenged Sevenfold, Motionless in White, Black Veil Brides, Tokio Hotel, Escape the Fate, Queen, Iron Maiden, Journey, My Chemical Romance, ect.
  • Singers such as Adam Lambert, Utada Hikaru, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Eminem, ect.

I very rarely find myself Critiquing any genre of music. I honestly just enjoy everything for the most part. I see no point in wasting time in stating that so-and-so sucks. If I dislike a band, that's just my opinion. If you like that same band I dislike, good for you. I like what I like, and you like what you like. Everybody wins!

The only type of music I really don't like is stuff like Brokencyde, Dot Dot Curve, BOTDF, ect. I'd take Justin Bieber (only newer songs) ANY day over these guys.

Edited by Seibutsu Akuma

I'm one of those peoples that can have a completely varying opinion of music based on my mood, but there are a few genres that have notably pushed my buttons..

Progressive House:

I like this genre, I'll admit it. But it is, without a doubt, one of the most repetitive and generic genres I know, and there isn't a whole lot of innovation going on to prevent it from completely drying up. Same boring build-up, same boring chord progression, etc.

Big Room (Electro) House:

I hate the very fact that this even exists! Big artists like Krewella and Knife Party are starting to use these to create their songs, and I can't figure out why. It's boring, not very complex and has the dullest climaxes known to EDM.

Brostep:

Never really saw the link between this and Dubstep. Generally just comprised of loud, non-fluid sounds stuck together in a not-so-clean fashion. The only way I could appreciate this genre is if there is some Oxymoron in it; contrasting beauty and ugly.

• Brohoof 3

I don't like rap/hip-hop or metal. I don't care for the obscene language and imagery found in most rap songs and I don't much care for the screaming that is found in most metal music. 

I don't hate country it just gets too repetitive, ( there are some good songs out there though) :P

I also dont like pop music, I hear that 1D band all the time thanks to my sister, and she plays it over and over, it drives me insane sometimes. lol

Well now that you guys are done bashing genres that I enjoy, I'd thought I'd leave an opinion of my own.

I find a lot of hard rock to be really boring. I honestly can't sit through a whole AC/DC song without getting bored. It's just too bland for my taste. I also dislike Guns N Roses, Sweet Child O' Mine is a decent song but Axl's voice really annoys me. Hair bands also bug me, and I'm really glad they died off. Cherry Pie by Warrant has got to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Bon Jovi and Poison are two of the worst bands, ever. By "ever", I really do mean EVER.

• Brohoof 3

I might as well say that I hate Djent (I know the debate between whether it's a style or genre, and I don't care what it is, I feel the need to express my dislike for it here), it sounds really weird to me, like I mean Meshuggah are awesome, but Periphery annoy the hell out of me, Animals As Leaders are really boring, and After The Burial are just plain unappealing to me.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really think I could pick any one genre, just like it's difficult to list any one favorite genre, but I don't particularly like music that is chaotic by nature. I don't mind a breakdown every once in awhile but I can't stand when there's no beat or form to a song whatsoever.

I can't stand rap and heavy metal.

Both shouldn't be classified music! It's terrible!

Alot of people my age are listening to their "Snoop Dog", and stuff, I think they listen to it cause they think it is what all the "cool kids" listen to.

(edited)
I can't stand rap and heavy metal. Both shouldn't be classified music! It's terrible!

Dude, a lot of metal is much more technical than your standard grandpa rock. Btw, noise music does exist (and some of it is down right amazing).  

Alot of people my age are listening to their "Snoop Dog", and stuff, I think they listen to it cause they think it is what all the "cool kids" listen to.

Snoop Dogg is one of the better rappers, he did a really good job assisting Dr.Dre on his album The Chronic. 

I might as well say that I hate Djent (I know the debate between whether it's a style or genre, and I don't care what it is, I feel the need to express my dislike for it here), it sounds really weird to me, like I mean Meshuggah are awesome, but Periphery annoy the hell out of me, Animals As Leaders are really boring, and After The Burial are just plain unappealing to me.

Periphery are really boring, Meshuggah is decent, and I thought After the Burial were deathcore.

Edited by Akari Akaza

The only genre that I'm not really into is Country. I'm also not a big fan of rap music, but I can usually find some songs I enjoy in that genre. Not that big of a fan of metal either, honestly.

So, Country, Rap, and Metal are genres I'm not too keen on. They're not bad, they're just not something I enjoy listening to that often or at all. 

• Brohoof 1

tfw living in California and enjoying country music

I'm not too fond of modern country, but I do occasional put on some Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson.

Country that is all the people at my school listen to, but I live in Tennessee so that explains it. I also am not that found of rap or pop music

Dude, at my school there's a ton of "classic rock" fans. I tend to avoid them (well I avoid everybody actually...) for the sake of not starting an argument with them. 

• Brohoof 2