Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have First Person Shooters gone backwards? (video + discussion)

Noazark

First off, I recommend you watch this video to understand the topic

Have you watched it? Okay good, so what do you think? Do you agree? Have FPS really become a fancy version of follow the arrows?

I personally agree with everything in the video, and I do believe that companies like Infinity Ward and Activision are just milking their IPs for money, adding little to no new content with each new installment. They are devoid of any and all creativity or variety in gameplay.

I do like me a FPS. Mostly I only play Team Fortress 2. It's just fun to me. The stock weapons are normally the best. It is however the testing ground for Valve ;-) 
MOST first person shooters have gone backwards. They are being milked for profit and profit only,

• Brohoof 2

I do like me a FPS. Mostly I only play Team Fortress 2. It's just fun to me. The stock weapons are normally the best. It is however the testing ground for Valve ;-) 

MOST first person shooters have gone backwards. They are being milked for profit and profit only,

I love TF2 as well, one of my favorites, in that game for example, you have a very unique balance between all the classes, and the game was treated very delicately to ensure every single class had it's advantages and disadvantages. That's the kind of thing that is missing in moderm military shooters, in those games you just blast everyone in sight and have magical regenarative powers, that's just poor game design. But I digress, this is about single player shooters, not multiplayer.

• Brohoof 1

He's kind of forgetting that it comes down to what the millions of consumers want, not the hundreds critics. I don't think people honestly care about weather or not the game spoon feeds you or sticks to a conventional style of game play it I'm certain that in the end no matter which way you look at it, it comes down to whether or not it's fun. Nothing else really matters.  

I do agree that modern fps games seem to be lacking. They are more or less milked, and this hurts the quality of the game. The guy who made this video seems to be talking about single player fps games, and I honestly think that as long as you enjoy the game it doesn't matter so much. I loved the Cod: World at War, and Halo 3 (and ODST) campaigns, of which both probably have a lot of the issues that the guy in this video complained about. I never really grew up playing the arena style shooters like DOOM, so I really comment on those. 

Anyways, I can say that I'm getting tired of modern/future military shooters. It's just aim/shoot/kill. As much as I loved Battlefield 3, after 250 hours or so of playing it I started getting a little bored. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

He's kind of forgetting that it comes down to what the millions of consumers want, not the hundreds critics. I don't think people honestly care about weather or not the game spoon feeds you or sticks to a conventional style of game play it I'm certain that in the end no matter which way you look at it, it comes down to whether or not it's fun. Nothing else really matters.  

I think you missed the point a little bit, it's not about what people want or if the game is even enjoyable (objectively that is), it's about the devolution of this genre, how it went from an open-arena-find-enough-sources-to-keep-on-going game to point, shoot, advance. It's somewhat unfortunate that the sales of these games encourage developers to put as little effort as possible into making new games, and just because something is popular it doesn't mean it should automatically be accepted by everyone.

Obviously, if someone enjoys these games, that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the games have indeed chaged for the lacking.

Edited by Noazark

ntages

They are not really treated delicately.

before they added in the man co patch and the community made stuff (you know the stuff thats the real money marker) the game was perfectly balanced and a LOT more fun to play then today. The moment they mucked everything about so they could add in man co stuff it just ruined the game for me and basically my friends list who all moved on.

I personally feel it has gone backwards, I loved playing games like golden eye and perfect dark and CSS. The market has potentially focused to much on the xbox market and games like COD ect so you have lost a lot from the games. The pace of the older games makes then so much fun, playing Quake on an N64 with friends was brillitant, but you just don't get then now days!

I've got to admit that first person shooters have gone backwards, since the market only focuses on futuristic shooting games or anything that is Call of Duty can only be noticed. Battlefield is great and Team Fortress is great too but, EA just wants to milk another series into the ground to make a quick buck.

• Brohoof 1