Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Pinkie Pie related to Discord?

Envoy-in-exile

I mean, is Pinkie Pie Discord's secret disciple or long lost descendant or something? They seem to have the same reality bending powers; and when the rest of Mare 6 was keen on stopping Discord, she seemed to only be interested in drinking the chocolate milk from Discord's clouds. And they're both wacky in the head. What do you think?

Posted Image

• Brohoof 3

Pinkie keeping that jumprope going in A Friend Indeed is something Discord would do if he was, you know, not pure evil.

I say maybe.

Edited by Jadefire

At the beginning of The Return Of Harmony, Discord mentions that Pinkie's element, laughter, is his personal favorite. I would guess that the relation that they have has something to do with the relation between the element of laughter and chaos in Equestria.

The type of chaos that discord represented in the show seemed to be basically semi-total randomness. I say "semi-total" because it did seem that discord's primary goal was to be able to amuse himself without regard to negative effects of his actions.

Discord's world was sort of like one giant never-ending prank. Pinkie, in several episodes, has been shown to like playing pranks herself. In order for a prank to work, there has to be a certain element of the unexpected to it - in other words, a bit of randomness. Randomness is just something without a predictable order or plan - chaos.

Thinking about it a little bit more. Pinkie Pie's element is the element of laughter. This means that she both laughs and brings out laughter in those around her. If people are laughing then, more than likely, something humorous happened to make them laugh.

Like pranks, other forms of humor also rely on the unexpected. Most jokes fall flat when everyone already knows the joke in advance. Physical comedy wouldn't be so funny if it was obviously bound to happen. So, in order for humor to be humorous, it has to have some type of randomness involved with it.

If we accept that randomness is just another word for chaos, then, all of a sudden, the similarities between Pinkie and Discord make much more sense. In order for her to be the element of laughter, Pinkie has to make use of a bit of chaos.

Now I am not saying that Pinkie is evil or anything like that. In fact, when she doesn't prank Fluttershy in Griffon the Brush Off, then she provides very clear evidence that while she may be random it is a controlled randomness.

Although her element was Discord's favorite, I think that the control she exercises over her randomness is why Discord had to "gray" Pinkie out as well. While Pinkie likes chocolate milk, she would never pull a prank without regards for the consequences of her action.

So, yes, I think that they are related. Probably not via any type of familial connection, but rather via the tangential relation between Pinkie's element of laughter and Discord's embodiment of pure chaos.

(If this post reads strangely, that is because it is 3 am over here, and I should get to bed.)

• Brohoof 7

I honestoy doubt that their related.

There were so many spelling errors in that. But anyways, it's an interesting theory but I doubt that the people behind the show thought of their backstory in that much detail- if there's any similarity it's probably going to become clear in a later episode as to why they've done that. Pinkie is best pony and it would be awesome if she had episodes about being related to discord, but I doubt it. Love the idea though :D

In all seriousness....I don't think their related but at least Discord had good taste as far as chocolate rain goes.

Plus the animators are on DeviantART...Some meme's were gonna sneak their way onto the show for the fans as a: "I see what you did there!" Thing.

I think as far as the canon timelines go, Pinkie probably lacks a connection to Discord outside of the fact that she herself could be described as a slightly chaotic pony-- which makes it no surprise that she enjoys some of Discord's shenanigans to a certain point.

Now, in fanciful headcanon land, perhaps Discord once was the bearer of the Element of Laughter, back when he was a pure-hearted pony... Oh boy it's fanfic time!

• Brohoof 1

I think as far as the canon timelines go, Pinkie probably lacks a connection to Discord outside of the fact that she herself could be described as a slightly chaotic pony-- which makes it no surprise that she enjoys some of Discord's shenanigans to a certain point.

Now, in fanciful headcanon land, perhaps Discord once was the bearer of the Element of Laughter, back when he was a pure-hearted pony... Oh boy it's fanfic time!

Posted Image

No, more of a complicated relationship, eventually, when Discord does return, he'll marry Pinkie. :3

Posted Image

So many good ideas <3!

• Brohoof 1

There is no substantively established relation between Pinkie and Discord other than his preference for the Element of Laughter. But that's a stretch to establish some form of familial bond. They're both pretty kooky at times (or, for Discord, quite frequently) and will break the fourth wall; but whereas Pinkie will only laugh at someone's expense if they too find it funny, Discord finds amusement in destroying the spirits of other creatures. She genuinely cares for other ponies; he is absolutely demonic. Furthermore, their biological differences should be enough to certify that the two of them are not at all related.

Their mutually shared behavior is happenstance and little else.

• Brohoof 2

The only way I could see Discord being related to Pinkie Pie is if it turned out that he was originally just a normal pony living who knows how long ago that was transformed into the being we know him as today, and that he already had a family when this ocurred and his descendants eventually produced Pinkie Pie many hundreds of generations later.

But that's highly unlikely to say the least. Even if it turned out he was a normal pony once, why would his descedants be anything like the monster he became?

No, they're not related. Pinkie Pie isn't even remotely on his level of chaos anyway. Discord showers chaos all over caring naught about the consequences. Pinkie Pie, on the other hand, cares about her friends and the ponies around her. If her prank would actually hurt another pony, she wouldn't do it, as she demonstrated in Griffon the Brush-Off when she refused to prank Fluttershy. Pinkie's Element of Laughter doesn't have THAT much to do with chaos anyway except in terms of how Pinkie enjoys her pranks, as HAL9000 eloquently explained.

I'd also like to go on record as someone who dislikes Pinkie Pie/Discord shipping as well, for most of the same reasons. Discord is not a nice person. He's cruel and heartless. He doesn't care what you think and will happily screw you over if it gets him a laugh. Pinkie is nothing like that and I find it almost shameful to even suggest the two could be romantically involved.

• Brohoof 2

At the beginning of The Return Of Harmony, Discord mentions that Pinkie's element, laughter, is his personal favorite. I would guess that the relation that they have has something to do with the relation between the element of laughter and chaos in Equestria.

You know that thing about Laughter being his favorite, gets my hopes up of an ancient mane 6 appearing in the future. If it's hes favorite, that means he must've met another Laughter bearer in the past. We know Luna and Celestia were the bearers of the elements before the Mane 6 (Well, that's technically not necesary, there might have been some other bearers during the 1000 years Luna was gone, but Discord wouldn't have met them)

So yeah, I do expect to see ancient mane 6 in the past. Maybe just one pre-celestia group, or a whole bunch of them, all recorded in the corridors of history, in some underground place or such. It would be cool.

You know that thing about Laughter being his favorite, gets my hopes up of an ancient mane 6 appearing in the future. If it's hes favorite, that means he must've met another Laughter bearer in the past. We know Luna and Celestia were the bearers of the elements before the Mane 6 (Well, that's technically not necesary, there might have been some other bearers during the 1000 years Luna was gone, but Discord wouldn't have met them)

So yeah, I do expect to see ancient mane 6 in the past. Maybe just one pre-celestia group, or a whole bunch of them, all recorded in the corridors of history, in some underground place or such. It would be cool.

Do you see Celestia, Luna and (a pre-twisted) Discord being part of an Ancient Mane 6? Celestia - Magic, Luna - Loyalty, Discord - Laughter

I'd also like to go on record as someone who dislikes Pinkie Pie/Discord shipping as well, for most of the same reasons. Discord is not a nice person. He's cruel and heartless. He doesn't care what you think and will happily screw you over if it gets him a laugh. Pinkie is nothing like that and I find it almost shameful to even suggest the two could be romantically involved.

My friend and I spoke last night about villainous characters who have been "domesticated" by the fandom, and Discord eventually came up in our discussion. I'm rather laissez-faire about how fans interpret characters so long as they don't confuse their fanon with established canon and force it upon everyone else as a result; with respect to Discord, though, it's a bit disturbing that he is domesticated and then paired with another character, usually Pinkie Pie. I understand Discord is comically villainous---he never takes a life on screen, and he is incredibly charismatic as well as a cosmic trickster---but he is pretty thoroughly evil. It's like making The Joker a nice fellow when it is clear that he is ultimately murderous and psychotic. I understand why it happens, but it can be unsettling on occasion.

I have no reason to believe Pinkie would ever trust such a monster, let alone become romantically involved with him. I doubt Discord even possesses the compassion or emotional ability (i.e., empathy) in order to love somepony. I suppose the tone of the show helps obscure that difficulty.

I apologize for a mini-rant. I don't mean to derail the thread.

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pie and Discord wouldn't be related, Pinkie Pie just likes the chocolate rain. When I think of chocolate rain, I think the people who did that episode, got their idea from

Do you see Celestia, Luna and (a pre-twisted) Discord being part of an Ancient Mane 6? Celestia - Magic, Luna - Loyalty, Discord - Laughter

I've also been thinking of that. Maybe the other 3 will be future villains

I don't think they are related.

Discord said that his favourite element was laughter, because he likes causing chaos, and simply laughing about it. However, he see's everything as a big prank, not caring who he affects. But as shown in season one, Pinkie knows where to draw the line between pranking someone harmlessly and hurting someone.

As for drinking the chocolate milk, that is just her personality. She enjoys fun, and admit it, it would be fun if chocolate rained from the sky.

So no, I don't think they are related.