Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do many people really read fanfics?

skylights

I used to write a lot but I haven't really felt much inspiration for it in a few years at least. But lately, I've been feeling more and more motivated to start writing pony stories. Only thing is, I'm not sure if anyone would actually read them if I did write them. I'd hate to put a lot of time and effort into a project and have it go completely unnoticed.

So I thought I'd ask here: do people actually read fanfics from unestablished writers who are relatively unknown to the scene? Or do people generally just skip over anything they haven't already heard is good?

• Brohoof 1

Well I love reading fan fic! I tend to stay away from the big shots, because I feel there are better writers that may not be known. Everypony has to start somewhere right? I think you should go for it! If you need an editor or someone to read over it I would be more then happy!

• Brohoof 2

I rarely read anything else but romance and clopfics. I just can't get invested. I think just about everything I've ever read has been from relatively unknown writers. Then again, I don't really follow the fic scene that actively, so what do I know.
My favourite fics thus far are as follows:

-More Than Buddies.
-Derpy's Cloud.
-Farm Stuff - On Her Feet All Day.
-The Ballad of Derpy Hooves.
-Xenophilia.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Brohoof 2

Well I love reading fan fic! I tend to stay away from the big shots, because I feel there are better writers that may not be known. Everypony has to start somewhere right? I think you should go for it! If you need an editor or someone to read over it I would be more then happy!

Hmm... I might take you up on this sometime.

• Brohoof 1

I don't.

To many people take them far to literally, and often begin to include it in their head canon to the point it begins to trump the show canon.  In many cases, these are those that whine when something major happens in the show (I.E. Princess Twilight.) as such things ruin the head canon.

Also many cater to the writers preferences in character interaction and reaction. I.E. if they outright have disdain for Rarities vain attitude they'll write it in in some way. Whether its conscious or subconsciously done is another story.

Others just tend to take an extreme stretch and want to do things that shouldn't/couldn't be done within the realm the stories basis, or in some way mary sue things up. Then there are the ones that just want to "ship" random characters, or add in their own OC's (A fairly common one TMK...)

Not many keep things fairly accurate to the show very well.

So the closest I get to fan fiction is the comics (The micro series seem very much more like short fan fics than actual sanctioned stories. Some of them are just very badly plotted out, and have terrible writing. Though admittedly some are spectacular pieces, like the Rarity, or Celestia ones. Where it actually expands on the character (while remaining true) rather than just playing with them.)

Edited by GrimCW

i've read only 3.

cupcakes overhyped i'm not really sure why people think it's the epitome of scary lol

my little dashie it's good.

sweet apple massacre probably the only think related to media that made me gag.

i don't really care about the brony-related media. some of the music is nice but i don't care much for anything else lol.

I generally don't care for fanfics, because often they're either poorly written or poorly edited. I'm not saying this is always true, just in my experience. I understand why people would write them, and to that I say bravo, more power to them, but they just aren't my thing.

Yea a lot of people do read fanfics. I myself only started to read fics because of My Little Dashie and Fallout Equestria. I don't read as much as I used to because of school now... I still find time to read them. Right now I have about 400 pony fics in my read laters.

It's just an occasional thing for me. Some actually grab my attention and end up being worth my time to read.

Though the one I'm working on is... I dunno. It was born from a silly idea but I haven't gotten too much criticism and/or negativity about it. But I think that's due to the lack of attention it's getting.

So... meh.

How else will I get to experience Rainbow ponies and Pink ponies confessing their love for each other and subsequently having pillowfights and making out with each other? At least until the writers acknowledge the subtextual clues they've given about Pinkie's enormous crush on Rainbow Dash ;)...

I don't read nearly as much as I used to. Fallen out of the habit, unfortunately. Still, they're an excellent way for people in the fandom to play out ideas than cannot happen in the show, or at least haven't yet. Most are utter trash, but there are some really moving, hilarious, and brilliantly characterized stories out there. So long as you make the concept sound appealing and write it well, I think there's a chance of people giving it a shot.

I usually read quite a bit. Though, I have a bad habit of only reading fics that have a good thumbs up to down ratio. I check fimfction everyday. I like to download readings and listen to them while I work. It's a good way to pass time.

My favorites are A Precious Rainbow(Best thing to come from that stupid Cupcakes fanfic), Asylum, Heart to Heart, Nosflutteratu, Binky Pie, Of Princesses and Time Chargers, Dresden Fillies, Silent Ponyville 2, and The Return of Princess Nightmare Moon.

Edited by Carver

I've written some but I stopped writing for a long time, only started pony stories just recently.

People will read them here, just bare in mind that it can get swamped by the amount of traffic this place gets. If you do write and post them here, you should add a link to them in your signature. That away anyone who wants to give them a read can find them.

Edited by Malinter

I don't read much fanfiction, but I do have a couple friends who like to write fanfics, so I'll usually try to read theirs. I guess fanfiction just isn't really my thing. However, I'll read it occaisonally, and my favorite fanfic is Yours Truly.

Fanfiction's alright. I won't lie though, I skim-read most of the stories I looked at back in my FiMFiction days. In general, it's not really my thing, but there are those certain kinds of stories that do really grab my attention. ;)

I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how many people read fanfics.

I first started reading/writing them when I gained interest in writing as a career, since there are already established worlds, rules, and characters within said universe, but with stories that haven't yet been told or will not be told for one reason or another.

Thought there are a few out there that are either criminally overrated, or don't get the attention and praise that they deserve.

I was relatively unknown on a site until through some hard work and dedication I've gained a decent following.

• Brohoof 2

It's a bit hard for me to get into fan-fics

I only read one if It is well written or I enjoy it (dispite if it is bad, but I still enjoy it).

So I guess I read them every now and then, but no a lot.

Don't let this discourage you though. There are many who do read them do if you want to write, go ahead.

I've only read Rainbow Factory, and University days myself. I enjoyed both of them. Fanfictions can be very entertaining to read, so I don't know why I don't read more of them. I have a friend who reads them pretty much daily on FimFiction. Anyways, I think that a lot of people do read fanfictions.

Eh, not a ton personally, but some.

I really just read whatever fanfics maybe go searching or look on the featured section on Fimfiction.

I don't read a ton though, and as far as people who read lesser known fanfics, i think its probably a bit hard to get noticed, unless your fic is really good, which i tried writing a fic, and to say the least it wasn't.

Its possible, but idk, lots of fanfics out there, so it can be hard getting your name out there.

For me personally, I read fanfics/fimfics. I used to read only shipping fics, but now I'll read anything that sounds good as long as its rating is everyone or teen. I've read some more well known ones, but I'll also read less known ones. It really just depends on the content of the fic for me.

I'd dare say half of the people in the fandom read fanfictions/fimfictions. I'll tell you this; if you write and post a story on fimfiction.net then you'll definitely get people that'll read your story. Its not going to go completely unnoticed on there, so I'd say to go ahead and write your story. Most people aren't going to skip over your story just because you aren't popular or anything like that. :)

• Brohoof 1