Simpler Times

Malinter

My favourite pony in the show is Big Macintosh, I like him because he is such a work-horse.

He doesn't whine or get picky about what work he does (like I do, hate the cold and so out of shape atm) he just gets it done. I've never had luck finding work so I am a bit envious how he really enjoys the working life. 

I sometimes wish I lived in my parents time where they didn't have computers and such to entertain themselves and both of my parents did farm work growing up, I like to think I'd be a little better off if i'd been introduced to some manual labour as a kid instead of videogames >_<

So what about you guys? Any of you wish you'd been born more down to earth or is the lure of technology so strong?

This is no diss on technology btw. While I do sometimes feel it is downloading our souls, it has done alot of good.

I'd just like to hear your thoughts on this. :)

Edited by Malinter

I've done a bit of manual labor throughout my life, technology didn't have effects on that. So I'm sort of in the middle, I'm down to earth but technology is usually what's on my mind, cars, computers and etc.

The important thing is to keep a balance between the two.

• Brohoof 1

I can't really survive in the old times of doing hard labor on the farm, since I wasn't born on the rural country side instead I was born in the city. Keeping a balance between the two, can help in some cases.

I can't really survive in the old times of doing hard labor on the farm, since I wasn't born on the rural country side instead I was born in the city. Keeping a balance between the two, can help in some cases.

I can understand that,  I'd feel the same if i had been born in a city.

• Brohoof 1

I just finished building a sheep manger yesterday. I live on a small farm doing manual labor all the time. Mostly hand tools because the jobs always end up being in places that I haven't run power yet. Mind you, I could pull the generator out, but I never remember to *do* that.

So I'm not seeing the attraction. :)

• Brohoof 1

I just finished building a sheep manger yesterday. I live on a small farm doing manual labor all the time. Mostly hand tools because the jobs always end up being in places that I haven't run power yet. Mind you, I could pull the generator out, but I never remember to *do* that.

So I'm not seeing the attraction. :)

You probably never get this often but I envy you so much XD

Early on in life, I was raised in a backwater town that was always at least five years behind the times in everything, from technology to fashion, music, whatever. My house was heated with wood and I helped my dad chop some of it for the fireplace, and I went outside traipsed through the woods when I was bored. There was nothing to do out there, but it kept me moving. I now live in a modern place with modern conveniences but I don't miss having to do without, even though that's all I knew at the time. Thanks to the magic of the interwebz and other technological advancements, I can do more than ever and it's made it easier to meet new people. Without it there are things I never would have experienced.

When I do want to get away from it all, I'll read a book, go fishing, go shooting, or something like that. Even taking a walk helps me to clear my mind and escape from it all.

One thing I wish was "simpler" is finding a decent job. Takes way more qualifications than it once did to get even a simple one that barely pays enough to survive on, with less stability and more convoluted application processes. Applying for a job online can be and typically is an extremely frustrating process. Throw that away and the rest can stay as it is.

• Brohoof 5

Sometimes I really like technology but other times I can't stand it. It's really cool to be able to connect with people you otherwise wouldn't even know existed, plus the endless supply of "free" music and movies is kinda nice. It's also nice to unplug for a few days, though, and appreciate nature and the "real" world.

My uncle has a farm and I'm thinking of working there next summer since I want to try and get in touch with my inner Applejack.

• Brohoof 2

Eh, i mean i guess getting away once in a while's nice, but really i enjoy my technology, and even if it can be harmful, it has done much good.

So i'm ok with growing up when i did i guess essentially.

I would prefer to be born in the mid 80's, so I could more easily get my hands on floral skirts and also listen to artists such as Backstreet Boys, Earth, Wind and Fire and so on without feeling similar to an outsider compared to my generation.

Yet I do believe that one can choose whatever they want to be on or do, even though it can be hard to resist. 

• Brohoof 1

I'd be dead right now if it were not for technology, so I wouldn't give it up for anything. Though, sometimes I wonder what life would be like without it. Eh, I'm sort of in the middle here.

I don't think I could do too much hard labour like he does. I'm too out of shape. ^^;

I'm pretty sure living in the 50s or 60s would have been better than now though. Apparently there were much less dangerous people about, people would have been healthier in general as well. More modest clothing too.

I'd say maybe the 50's, 60's, or even 70's were the best times to grow up.

Every advance made since then says otherwise. :P

I'm pretty sure living in the 50s or 60s would have been better than now though. Apparently there were much less dangerous people about...

Yeah, the 50s and 60s were so much better, what with the beginnings of underground substance abuse, lobotomy still used as an acceptable medical procedure, smallpox existing, lack of antiviral medicines, brainwashed murder cults and psychotic transsexuals...Oh, and naked hippies, totes modest...

Wait, which of these things made those decades better again?

Every advance made since then says otherwise. :P

Yeah, the 50s and 60s were so much better, what with the beginnings of underground substance abuse, lobotomy still used as an acceptable medical procedure, smallpox existing, lack of antiviral medicines, brainwashed murder cults and psychotic transsexuals...Oh, and naked hippies, totes modest...

Wait, which of these things made those decades better again?

Hey guys, remember when we had a space program?

Yeah.

Hey guys, remember when we had a space program?

Yeah.

Technically most of the people on this forum wouldn't be able to 'remember' that, given that most of them were born in the 80's and 90's and by the time they were old enough to be consciously aware of the space program it was over already... ;)

Beyond that, this is starting to edge into 'Debate Pit' territory. :)

What a lot of people want when they talk about 'Simpler Times', is less about the technology and more about the culture. And to be honest, there isn't that much difference culturally between now and from thirty years ago (from experience). Asshats are still asshats, they're just a hundred times faster and more efficient at communicating their asshattery. Some asshattery is necessary, of course, or civilization will likely stagnate. But like all things, moderation is good. A little bit of asshattery goes a long way. :ph34r:

• Brohoof 2

Technically most of the people on this forum wouldn't be able to 'remember' that, given that most of them were born in the 80's and 90's and by the time they were old enough to be consciously aware of the space program it was over already... ;)

Beyond that, this is starting to edge into 'Debate Pit' territory. :)

What a lot of people want when they talk about 'Simpler Times', is less about the technology and more about the culture. And to be honest, there isn't that much difference culturally between now and from thirty years ago (from experience). Asshats are still asshats, they're just a hundred times faster and more efficient at communicating their asshattery. Some asshattery is necessary, of course, or civilization will likely stagnate. But like all things, moderation is good. A little bit of asshattery goes a long way. :ph34r:

Eh, I'm quite sarcastic and a smart-ass. But yeah, asshats are asshats, good people are good, and the South lives on! -insert Rebel Yell here-

Hmmm, simpler times. I truly would love to return to the time of the mid-90's. The economy was good, there weren't any wars going on, and the technology at the time was just simple enough to not be the curse that it is today where social media has overtaken social skills and everyone walks around with their nose in a phone. 

I am the opposite I wish I was born in the future where technology was *greater* lol. I mean hell imagine when they actually get around to making virtual reality games that are legit *feels like you are there* sort of thing. 

I think I'm pretty much in the middle of everything. I've been working on a farm for about seven years now. And while I grew up with technology, I don't think it really hindered my work ethic much; especially when it comes to manual labor. However, when I'm at school, technology absolutely hinders my study habits. I just hate doing real work. I go to art school and would much rather be painting or sculpting than writing papers, so I blame my brain and emotions for my procrastination more than I do technology. 

But back on topic, I think we live in a world where technology is a dangerously important part of our lives. It seems like every little kid I know can work my iphone better than I can and don't know how to play anymore. New workers that we get on the farm seem to be attached to their phones and hardly do what they're supposed to. So I guess, I wish things were a little different but I wouldn't want to rule out technology completely.

• Brohoof 1

I have absolutely no want to be born in a time before I was, or a place with less technology. Without the level of technology we have today I most likely would not be around anymore at this age. If I was, I would be in a lot worse shape than I am right now, both psychologically and physically.

• Brohoof 1