Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Shining Armor is a ruler of an empire while Prince Blueblood seems to be nothing more than a spoiled brat with blood ties

It's very likely Shining Armor's full new title is 'Prince Consort', the same way Queen Elizabeth II's husband is titled officially. And I still think Blueblood is aggrandizing himself and claiming the title to make himself look more important, since we never see anyone actually confirm he's a Prince.

It's very likely Shining Armor's full new title is 'Prince Consort', the same way Queen Elizabeth II's husband is titled officially. And I still think Blueblood is aggrandizing himself and claiming the title to make himself look more important, since we never see anyone actually confirm he's a Prince.

Didn't Rarity confirm that he was a Prince?

Didn't Rarity confirm that he was a Prince?

Sorta? She chased after him before he introduced himself, but she only used the term Prince after he did, so I'm on the fence on that one. That he felt the need to introduce himself, using that title, just feels suspicious to me. Being a Prince, at the Gala, I would think he was arrogant enough to assume Rarity already knew who he was. So that whole scene felt odd to me and I'm still dithering over it.

Like others have said, it's totally because the marketing executives know that "Princess Twilight Sparkle" sells more toys than "Queen Twilight Sparkle". And I've heard the tales about how the writers wanted Celestia, Luna, Cadence, and Twilight to have the title of Queen rather than Princess because they thought it would add more regality and seriousness.

But I think in the end it's better that they have the title Princess, because this show redefines what "princess" means. Throughout the history of children's stories princesses have almost always either been powerless or their power has come from being physically beautiful or possessing some sort of enchantment that they themselves don't actually control. Not the most empowering message for young girls. By making some of the most powerful characters on the show adult princesses, MLP blows away the stereotypical princess.

This show is targetted at little girls so they have to use little girl logic >_>

All little girls want to be a princess princess pretty princess good

King is a boy boys bad king bad

Queens are boring queens bad

This is how i think i used to think when watching something like this anywayz :)

Bit of a story behind my view.

I've always had a headcanon that there was a great war before the reign of Discord, and it was in between the changelings and the ponies. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were just fillies so they couldn't fight, but their fathers and mothers, the King and Queen, could. However, in the war, they went MIA and due to that, the ponies had a martyr and defeated the changelings, shunning them (And Chrysalis held a grudge on the Equestrians ever since). Discord took the baffled kingdoms by surprise and easily took over, and Celestia and Luna fought back using the Elements of Harmony which were located in a tree Princess Celestia, Luna, and Discord (I assume they were friends until Discord went insane) found as kids. Together they defeated Discord, and in honor of their fallen parents refused to move up to the status of Queens in hope their parents were still alive. And you guys know the rest.

@@Princess Lona

Except that Discord is so much more powerful than the Princesses that it's not even funny. What is Discord's title? Lord Discord?

That's why I said some of the most powerful characters are princesses. I was specifically thinking of Discord when I said that because I know a lot of fans see him as the most powerful character even though I am not aware of any proof of that. In my opinion, when you get up to hero and villain levels of power in this show, it becomes like Dragonball and the numbers don't mean anything. Characters are as powerful in any given moment as the writers need them to be for the plot.

@@Princess Lona

Except that Discord is so much more powerful than the Princesses that it's not even funny. What is Discord's title? Lord Discord?

Discord is his own title. :) I like the idea that we don't actually know his true name. It's an old Celtic myth that knowing someone or something's true name gives you power over them. A lot of modern demonologists and spiritualists believe in the same practice and put a lot of effort into trying to discover various spirits' true names. Since he's called the 'Spirit of Chaos', I wouldn't find it too surprising to find out that 'Discord' is his title, and he keeps his true name secret. :)

I read somewhere It's because the target demographic views Princesses more fondly then queens.  Queens are seen as very boring people, whereas princesses are viewed as more youthful and beautiful.  That is why Princesses are so popular in popular culture.  The same problem with the king, but lesser.  Usually the king is found to be someone who is either incredibly stupid or just uninteresting.  Which is why many shows use princesses and princes other then kings and queens.

Edited by Dusty Soul