Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A brony asking for money from the brony community

Shankveld

(edited)

Today I was browsing the internet and came across this picture..

Posted Image

This brony claims that they are losing their house this month if they don't raise $15 000 US,

with no background story or proof of this. They are offering to do commissions, but are also asking for donations in a rather guilt-tripping sort of way. Since commissions will not be enough (my fiancee and I both work full time and don't make that much a month).

What are your thoughts on this? ~

Edited by Shankveld

(edited)

Careful about this. Just because they're a big fan like you, doesn't mean their intentions are honest.

This.

It doesn't sound too legit to me. Did that person even say why she will lose her house if she can't raise 15 000$ before the 26th?

Edited by Marshmallow
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I have seen this all over the place lately. I really don't like this at all, and I don't like the fact that some people would say that I'm a heartless wretch for feeling like this.

$15,000 dollars? That is honestly a lot of money to ask for online. And, to save a house?

Why not just downsize into an apartment (or smaller house) or do something similar to this to cut expenses? Why turn to the brony community before turning to family and friends for this type of situation? (Family and friends would probably offer better advice.)

Personally, I wouldn't donate money. I would donate advice. If someone is really in a $15,000 hole trying to keep a house, then they may want to rethink the entire situation. Maybe it is just not a good idea to save the house?

Besides, what makes them think that $15,000 will permanently save the house? There will still be other bills besides the $15,000. There will also still be house payments to make in the future. What happens if these bills can't be paid? Will they ask for another $15,000? That is not a good way to live a life. Too much uncertainty about the future.

I don't like these overly emotional appeals for help without evidence or proof of any kind. It just seems like it is built to take advantage of people with big hearts, and I really, really dislike it when trusting people are deceived.

If they are trying to deceive people, then that would really be just a terrible shame. It will be a double tragedy, because it will make bronies much less likely to help others in the future. Once bitten, twice shy.

• Brohoof 8

I'd never donate to someone i dont know. Dosent matter if they are white,black,yellow or a brony.

Sorry, but thats how it is.

This... no.

I once witnessed a donation like this go awry when the girl collecting money for her sister who needed chemo for her cancer spent it all on a laptop.

Never. Again.

• Brohoof 1

I'd help if there was a proof, but since I don't see any of them, It's the same as if you see an advertisement in a site like " Buy our stuff, it's the best of it's kind." And when you attempt to buy it using your credit card, all your money is gone and all you get is a "FOOL" title.
  • Brohoof 1

I, personally, do not give money to anything that doesn't have a Charity Number.

There was a story in the furry fandom after the disaster in Japan happened last year and someone scammed people out of hundreds because they made up a sob story of their house being destroyed, when it was actually someone who lived in the US.

So without definite proof, I highly recommend steering away from it.

• Brohoof 1

I'd give something if they could offer proof. But if it's a scam, that's just sad, feeding off of the generosity of the community. It's also highly damaging, as it'll spread mistrust between bronies.

• Brohoof 1

Totally not legit. But of course, I'm always very skeptical of anything like this, especially on the Internet :/

• Brohoof 1