Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I even be a Brony?

Kenai Ursa

(edited)

So I got here a few days ago and I look around.
All I see are really childish, livejournal-esque topics popping up every 5 minutes.
Is this what being a Brony is? I mean, I'm a fan of the show and I have my own OC. Although I think it's weird for a guy in his late teens to collect the figures I respect people that do because it's their interests.

But when I come to this site, I find myself angry at the sheer stupidity of some people. I know that you can post what ever you want and what not but it grates on me when you see topics that are just looking for sympathy or praise on something they did.

It may also be that I'm not used to forums that allow children and I know it may be a bit judgemental of me but I really dislike teenagers, I'm sorry.
So with all this hate that I have, I still tollerate people and everything, but with angry feelings within me, is it really worth staying part of the fandom?

I know a lot of you mean well but it really gets to me and I'm sorry if this is going to spark some kind of debate, I'm just wondering if it's all worth it.

I'll be gone until tonight, so I can't really reply until then.

Edited by Kenai Ursa

(edited)

I get what you mean, and i agree on some parts. Even tho i am kind of childish.

You say you dislikes teenagers when you are a teenager yourself?

However, yes. Aslong as you like the show you are a brony. Everyone hates, more or less.

Edited by Vicke

The fandom is what you make it. Some people don't ship. Some people freak out over Derpy's voice. Some people don't post in those topics you mentioned.

So, I dunno, do what you want, I guess? If this place doesn't have what you want, bid it adieu. If there's enough to keep you here, stick around.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

You would dislike something because you don't like people who also like it? That seems a little bit childish to me.

We have members as young as 9 on this forums and for the most part members can post what they want, so you will get some childish topics, but we have a lot of serious adult conversations, discussions, and debates as well.

I'm sadden to hear you aren't enjoying the forums as much as I am or most of the members, but maybe you should try looking for the topics that more interest you and steer away from the ones you don't.

Whether you stay apart of the forums community is entirely your choice, but I'd hope you wouldn't leave the fandom because of other people who are part of it.

~

Edited by Shankveld
  • Brohoof 5

I get what you mean, and i agree on some parts. Even tho i am kind of childish.

You say you dislikes teenagers when you are a teenager yourself?

However, yes. Aslong as you like the show you are a brony. Everyone hates, more or less.

I dunno, as a late teenager (I'm 19), I guess I've matured enough and I never really have the time for childish topics or posts.

You know you're getting old when you no longer enjoy the simple things in life like the Snow.

The fandom is what you make it. Some people don't ship. Some people freak out over Derpy's voice. Some people don't post in those topics you mentioned.

So, I dunno, do what you want, I guess? If this place doesn't have what you want, bid it adieu. If there's enough to keep you here, stick around.

I see where you're coming from. I just don't know that much about being a brony other than the basics. I just didn't know if you know... It's a requirement to have a pure heart and love everything.

Some people like different things than; others. Yes, some threads may seem "childish", but remember some people on here are children. Just ignore them if you want to

I see where you're coming from. I just don't know that much about being a brony other than the basics. I just didn't know if you know... It's a requirement to have a pure heart and love everything.

There are no pure hearts on the internet. I'm sure you know this.

We do try to be more tolerant than most people about things, granted, but by no means do you have to white knight all the time.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So I got here a few days ago and I look around.

All I see are really childish, livejournal-esque topics popping up every 5 minutes.

Is this what being a Brony is? I mean, I'm a fan of the show and I have my own OC. Although I think it's weird for a guy in his late teens to collect the figures I respect people that do because it's their interests.

But when I come to this site, I find myself angry at the sheer stupidity of some people. I know that you can post what ever you want and what not but it grates on me when you see topics that are just looking for sympathy or praise on something they did.

It may also be that I'm not used to forums that allow children and I know it may be a bit judgemental of me but I really dislike teenagers, I'm sorry.

So with all this hate that I have, I still tollerate people and everything, but with angry feelings within me, is it really worth staying part of the fandom?

I know a lot of you mean well but it really gets to me and I'm sorry if this is going to spark some kind of debate, I'm just wondering if it's all worth it.

I'll be gone until tonight, so I can't really reply until then.

Heh, I know that feeling but I have been on the Internet for enough time to know that:

• People can do what ever they want.
  • Kids think what they say is intelligent.
  • People still do what they want.
So ye even if there are replies or threads that 'sound stupid' just ignore them, don't even read them if you think it might annoy you.

Now about being a brony, I'm going to quote someone I forgot the name, but the quote went like this: "Tolerance does not mean acceptance." So, if you want to follow the general message, you tolerate them, knowing that once they grow up they have a great chance of realizing that they were ignorant a few years earlier.

Also, there is no 'Guideline' for being a brony, actually if there is one it would come from social pressure, something everyone is actually against. So as long as you follow the normal moral rules everything will be fine.

Now on the more cheerful side of the forum, sure there are some annoying members, but without them the place would be a bit dull. ( IMO ) There are plenty of users out here who are not only nice and considerate but also quite intelligent.

I'm sorry, but why are you surprised that the forums are childish? This is the "MY LITTLE PONY" forums, it'd make sense there would be younger and immature users like me.

Ugh... that is uncalled for. Firstly, it is not "The" My Little Pony as it is just another of many forums out there. Then no it does not make a lot of sense that there are any immature users, people should be on the internet from age 13 and up. ( You shouldn't actually sign up before hand as you are not allowed to sign the contract the moment you sign up. ) When you are 13 one is able to expect at least some level of maturity from the user.

Edited by Neikos el Presidente
  • Brohoof 2

Ugh... that is uncalled for. Firstly, it is not "The" My Little Pony as it is just another of many forums out there. Then no it does not make a lot of sense that there are any immature users, people should be on the internet from age 13 and up. ( You shouldn't actually sign up before hand as you are not allowed to sign the contract the moment you sign up. ) When you are 13 one is able to expect at least some level of maturity from the user.

I'm sorry but you lost all credibility with that one sentence.

But seriously, nowadays children as young as 6 use the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if someone younger stumbled onto this website.

Last thing I'll put here, it's really less an age thing and more a maturity thing. I constantly forget that our forum overlord is 16 years old, and he's more well spoken than a good number of people I can think of.

Also some of us are old as fuck I mean, there are also some older users, if you hadn't noticed.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I wouldn't base my whole aspiring fandom on what people make forum topics about. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe some of us do enjoy the silliness and carefree attitude many bronies aspire to? I personally enjoy the random topics and games that are on the forums, as I'm interning for the Department of Children Services. I see some horrible stuff on an almost daily basis, I chose this field so I do not complain. However, once I log online I enjoy being able to be silly and laugh with those that are around me. Also, I have met many intelligent and inspiring people through this site. Some of them, upon learning their age, happily surprised me as they are quite young. The age difference between us can really make me laugh sometimes as they teach me new things that are 'hip and in the now'. Before you outright judge it on forum basis alone, try talking to some of us. I guarantee we'd surprise you. Or if that doesn't work for you, think back to Bridle Gossip, don't judge a book by it's cover.

If anything I've said has offended, I assure you that's not my intent at all. Merely, that I think these forums are meant for fun, but if you look there are also some very serious issues on here. I personally do not post in them, again as I like to have fun and maintain a cheery attitude with my online time. Best of luck to you brony, in whatever you decide.

Edited by Boofyhooves
  • Brohoof 2

Last thing I'll put here, it's really less an age thing and more a maturity thing. I constantly forget that our forum overlord is 16 years old, and he's more well spoken than a good number of people I can think of.

Also some of us are old as fuck I mean, there are also some older users, if you hadn't noticed.

I'm not saying all young people are immature, what I'm getting at is that the majority is, have you seen our schools nowadays? Terrible, just terrible.

I'm not saying all young people are immature, what I'm getting at is that the majority is, have you seen our schools nowadays? Terrible, just terrible.

I was actually talking to the OP, but yeah.

As far as i know, there will be immature people as well as young kids on the forums. The Brony age group is pretty large to me.

But thats not the question at hand. You want to know if its worth it. Me coming from homeschool and having almst zero friends, I found it was, there were a large ammount of nice and awesome people here.

Just because of some of the more younger or immature people post does not ruin the fandom to me.

You sound pretty inexperienced in the history of Humanity ^^ Do you really think that kids being... well kids, is new to our generation?

• Brohoof 1

You sound pretty inexperienced in the history of Humanity ^^ Do you really think that kids being... well kids, is new to our generation?

I think the schools are terrible (Personally) The last thing that happend before I became a homeschooler was a kid attempted to stab me, and the teachers did nothing.
  • Brohoof 1

No, but it seems as if it has gotten worse, and I'm not talking about this generation, for a while it's been getting worse.

I mean crime rates by teenagers has been raising, kid's are so much more impolite and I could go on and on but we're going off topic here.

I think the schools are terrible (Personally) The last thing that happend before I became a homeschooler was a kid attempted to stab me, and the teachers did nothing.

I agree so much, I really wish I was homeschooled and am convincing my parents right now, I am seriously jelly of you.

Someone acts like something you don't approve.

It's the entire fandoms and site's fault.

What?

It is an indicudal person's choice on how they act. Not because they are bronies.

• Brohoof 4

Someone acts like something you don't approve.

It's the entire fandoms and site's fault.

What?

It is an indicudal person's choice on how they act. Not because they are bronies.

You summed up paragraphs of explaining in a few sentencases

Rose is best forumer

• Brohoof 1

I think no matter what community you choose to become a part of, there will always be people in it that you dislike no matter what. As far as labeling yourself a Brony per say... Well, that's up to you! Honestly, if you feel that conflicted in calling yourself a Brony just because you can't stand how some others act, then you might want to reconsider even labeling yourself as such. You can love the show and not be a Brony, just like someone can love Anthropomorphic art and not be a furry. It's all what you make of it!

I'd say give it a chance. Tolerate the things you don't like and try to find the gems you consider worth staying for! So far I've loved everyone here and all I see are friendly faces and some young ones trying to find out where they fit in. We were all there once so I try my best to understand how they're feeling.

Don't let any of what happens here bother you though! I know this is so weird coming from someone who just got here, but I've seen and delt with plenty of situations like this before!

Hope you find some peace here! Have some cake! Everyone loves cake!

• Brohoof 1

There are numerous topics on multiple subjects, if you find some topics to be very "childish" or "immature", simply don't pay attention to them.

If you are finding some members in particular to be very annoying or immature, there is an ignore feature that will hide their posts.

There are no requirements or pre-requisites to be allowed to consider yourself a brony.

• Brohoof 3