DubWolf

(edited)

Hey @

img-2456526-1-IXMg8i7.png

Yes, you can fly the American MD-80.

:squee:

Soon. How complex are the controls? I've been using gefs which is really basic.

Try being in my place on a high wind day. I've gotten everything from the endless stream of United 737s and ERJs to the occasional A330 or 777. Speaking of the latter:

IMG_0005.JPG

TAP Portugal

IMG_0016.JPG

United

I remember seeing the TAP A330 last time I was in Newark. I got a picture from the rear, somewhere.

Edited by Super80 Wolf

Soon. How complex are the controls? I've been using gefs which is really basic.
 I use a joystick for flying. Move the stick around to control your pitch and yaw, rotate to control the rudder or front wheel, flat thing with a plus and minus next to it for the throttle and trigger to brake. That's basically it.

There are also a lot of keyboard controls I remapped to buttons on my joystick, like turning on and shutting down the engines, flaps and the parking brakes.

I use a joystick for flying. Move the stick around to control your pitch and yaw, rotate to control the rudder or front wheel, flat thing with a plus and minus next to it for the throttle and trigger to brake. That's basically it.

There are also a lot of keyboard controls I remapped to buttons on my joystick, like turning on and shutting down the engines, flaps and the parking brakes.

So it's all you really need. None of those other, quote, "unnecessary electronics".

So it's all you really need. None of those other, quote, "unnecessary electronics".

lol

I have a throttle column that I use for if I want to get into a super cereal simulation (such as flying a typical passenger aircraft route) but otherwise I use just the joystick.

I wouldn't know, seeing as I've actually never been on a plane... but I do have a love for rollercoasters!

As far as flying in video games, i LOVE flying in games as well!

All i would ever do in GTA was steal planes and practice taking off and landing perfectly in them.

I also have this game on my iphone called RC Plane 2 that has similar controls to actual RC airplanes.

It took me a bit of practice but I've actually gotten pretty good at flying those little suckers :D

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I wouldn't know, seeing as I've actually never been on a plane... but I do have a love for rollercoasters!

As far as flying in video games, i LOVE flying in games as well!

All i would ever do in GTA was steal planes and practice taking off and landing perfectly in them.

I also have this game on my iphone called RC Plane 2 that has similar controls to actual RC airplanes.

It took me a bit of practice but I've actually gotten pretty good at flying those little suckers :D

Yep, that's all I try doing in GTA :P, shooting down other things airborne and collecting bounties. I've even gotten people to start voting me out of the game for my behavior. If you really want to screw someone, dive with your jet into someone's entity (or some other nice car), then flip your plane upside down (if you don't, you'll bounce back up) and enjoy the fireworks as you collide with their car. Edited by Super80 Wolf

(edited)

I can stare at these models forever sometimes, just admiring their beauty.

img-2494824-1-wk1r9i.jpg

img-2494824-2-2hdqpl1.jpg

I moved it out of the way so I can get a better pic. This 747 pretty much towers over all other airplane-related merchandise I have.

2cnibtl.jpg

Staying on-topic!

img-2494824-3-30xk7j7.jpg

This 757 reigned for a long time.

What I'm missing is...well  you know which airplane I'm referring to!

Edited by Super80 Wolf

• 2 months later...
(edited)

I'd love to get back into flying with the fligt sims again(using FlightGear and Google Earth). School and all has kind of put it to a halt, but whatever... I'll find time for it.

I've always thought about flying, but I'm sure I'd be terrible at it... But that's why you go to go and learn about flying planes ( maybe I'll make that on of my future goals).

My favorite plane is the A-12. If you don't know what that is, your not a plane fanatic ;). I can give you the history behind it, as well as its predecessor and sucessor, along with lots of cool facts about it. Here's one: the. Max speed it could fly was Mach 3.3 (some say faster, but it's generally agreed to be 3.3).

Edited by Krenton
  • Brohoof 1

I'd love to get back into flying with the fligt sims again(using FlightGear and Google Earth). School and all has kind of put it to a halt, but whatever... I'll find time for it.

I've always thought about flying, but I'm sure I'd be terrible at it... But that's why you go to go and learn about flying planes ( maybe I'll make that on of my future goals).

My favorite plane is the A-12. If you don't know what that is, your not a plane fanatic ;). I can give you the history behind it, as well as its predecessor and sucessor, along with lots of cool facts about it. Here's one: the. Max speed it could fly was Mach 3.3 (some say faster, but it's generally agreed to be 3.3).

The good thing about GEFS is that it's a much more simple flight simulator, and the Earth looks incredible from the sky than in other simulators, since you're flying over Google Earth!

I know of the A-10 :unsure:. *looks up*. Oh, it's the SR71's predecessor lol. I've never heard of the A10, so I guess I'm not a plane fanatic xD.

• Brohoof 1

I have never been flying before, but when I look up into the sky and see plane fly over. I sit there and wonder how it would be to be up there and see the beautifulness of the sky. And then I sit there for the next 2 hours and just think. How we were created, how heaven would look like, how it would be on other planets, how it would be like to be a vampire, and a ton of other stuff.

Ug just rambling I will shut my face now.... :D

I have never been flying before, but when I look up into the sky and see plane fly over. I sit there and wonder how it would be to be up there and see the beautifulness of the sky. And then I sit there for the next 2 hours and just think. How we were created, how heaven would look like, how it would be on other planets, how it would be like to be a vampire, and a ton of other stuff.

Ug just rambling I will shut my face now.... :D

I can remember seeing this en route from DEN - BOS back in 2011. Pilot even pointed it out to us.

It was a long flight and there was no Internet connectivity on the plane, the crew had to keep us entertained somehow.

I'm not really into flying (Unless you mean a spaceship/rocket then...  :wub: ) but my two brothers are and because of that I know a bit about planes. I do however enjoy traveling.

I can remember seeing this en route from DEN - BOS back in 2011. Pilot even pointed it out to us.

It was a long flight and there was no Internet connectivity on the plane, the crew had to keep us entertained somehow.

That looks awesome :D! Now I want to fly.

It's strange how a mind can crave for something the body isn't built for, and yet make it feel so natural.

Whenever I have found myself in a lucid dream, I've always just dropped what I was doing and taken off into the sky. Holy crap what a great feeling.

I am a HUGE fan of airport flights, but I'd rather take my humility and economic knowledge by using the bus instead. That's why I chose a unicorn as my ponified version instead of a pegasus.

(edited)

I'm big into planes.

Though for a while it's been bugging me (which is part of my drive to get into mechanical engineering): why hasn't steam turbine ever been tested for its viability as a power plant?

besler_flight1.jpg

This is the 1933 Bressler Steam Plane, the most recent attempt at utilizing steam power for aircraft propulsion. Apart from some never-got-off-the-drawing-board ideas from late-war Germany, nothing has ever been attempted regarding steam power for aircraft ever since, and it's really got my thinker in a tizzy. An external combustion engine (a heater and boiler to drive a working fluid, like steam) would be able to deliver consistent power output regardless of altitude or weather conditions, and could burn potentially any fuel as long as it burned hot enough (coal dust, gasoline, oil, petrol-coke, woodchips, etc.). A turbine only has one moving part (the rotor) reducing maintenance requirements. Further, a steam turbine could be built to be supercritical and closed-cycle, which would be good for the environment, and nearly silent.

All I hope is that I can figure out whether or not it would work, and see if I can invent something...

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

So, what is your stance on flying? Have you ever flown by airplane? Or are you perhaps one of those people who hates it? For those that haven't, do you want to fly someday? For those that have, where did you go?

I've never flown before in my life, but my parents both have. They said it's not that bad. I'm a little weary of flying because of different reasons. I wouldn't mind trying it, but it'd be quite hard since I've developed a slight fear of it.

• Brohoof 2

I have been in a plane maybe 7 times in my life, the sky is a beautiful place and I love how quickly you can get from point A to point B and I have seen so many amazing sights from the sky... but I'd rather stay on the ground 

• Brohoof 1