Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DubWolf

I am a contract air traffic controller for the army. Not to much into flying though. I have been on a few helicopters for orientation flights. Three flights on UH-60s, and one on a CH-47. i got sick to my stomach on my last blackhawk ride. It was very windy, and the pilot was doing nap of the earth, which means he was flying very low and conforming to the terrain. I didnt lose my lunch, but it was a close thing. I couldnt wait for that flight to be over. The chinook flight was cool. It was very tame, and the crew took us out to a glacier and landed on it. It was a really nice flight.

As far as commercial flying goes, i hate it. I live in alaska, and tickets are really expensive, so we have to fly coach. I am a big guy, and coach is very uncomfortable. The flight home is usually a 12 hour sojourn, so its a long day.

@@@@cuteycindyhoney,

woah woah woah! this piece of crap unstable??? dude! the autogyro/gyrocopter (here in Italy we calll them Autogiro) are the most easy, safe to pilot, most enjoyable and stable flying machine ever! it was invented by the nezi BEFORE the helicopter, and it is an awesome machine, why?

-IT CAN'T STALL!!!!!!!

- the main blade isn't connected to the motor, it turns only whit the frontl drag, thus if the motor fails, you can still land like nothing happened!

-it can't go much high, just like conventional helicopters

-it can't hover, just like an airplane

-it need a VERY short runaway to take off and it can land ALMOST vertically

-it is HELLA FAST and agile like a combat jet

watch all of this video and you will buy one, go to minute 4.58 to see how much awesome this machine is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpFVV6Oh1Vs

aslo i don't know how it work in other countries but here in Italy you don't need a licence for this one, just a 4 hours course.. it i soo easy to fly that after 2 hours of pratice you can land it without using the motor, you just can't fly over cities

(this video was recorder on a professional ELA MAGNI GYRO one, in Italy)

anyway if you are interested on his story and all of his spec, cost, where to buy and everything you will question

Well thanks for shining some light on me ;). What I meant by unstable was..easy to maneuver...too easy (basically, like a fighter jet). I loved the video (especially Valkyrie as the background music)! Now I sorta want to fly one!

• Brohoof 1

i heard that you're not qualified if you don't have 20/20 vision so yeah :(

Corrected 20/20 vision (with glasses basically). If that still is no good, you could probably get laser eye surgery, but as we discussed earlier, there are rare cases where your vision will be worse.

Edited by Wingin'Wolf

Corrected 20/20 vision (with glasses basically). If that still is no good, you could probably get laser eye surgery, but as we discussed earlier, there are rare cases where your vision will be worse.

i was late into the discussion so i missed everything and i don't wan't to go back and read everything. i have really bad vision so i don't think i'll ever fly a plane :(

i was late into the discussion so i missed everything and i don't wan't to go back and read everything. i have really bad vision so i don't think i'll ever fly a plane :(

Welp...eye surgery! Again, it is risky.

looks like i'll never fly a plane :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

D'awg look at you, giving up before you even started! You can still probably use a paraglider or skydive, not necessarily flying an airplane (I know I'd still be disappointed if this were my fate).

I know this thread is for people who are into flying, but I'm not one of them.

Call me irrational, insensitive, stereotypical, or racist but I am terrified of the possibility of a plane crashing and the possibility of a hostage situation.

I get motion sickness quite quickly (even if I take an anti-motion sickness pill) and my ears always pop when the plane takes off/lands. I've tried using those ear plugs but they don't work.

I hate flying.. My psychiatrist believe I have a full on phobia of it. So, trying exposure therapy, took me to an air port. I wouldn't even look towards the planes. I started to freak out and... It was a mess.

So yea.. I hate flying.

Oh, so we're posting photos of planes we took ourselves or were a few pages ago? Well, here's a Lufthansa 747-400 I took in Boston.

jSniH94.jpg

...and a Delta 757-200.

PHfMkGp.jpg

...and the tails of two Southwest 737-700s.

CDi1KLh.jpg

And not at an airport, but at a museum in Colorado Springs, a Lockheed EC-121T Warning Star.

CUdXGR2.jpg

I know this thread is for people who are into flying, but I'm not one of them.

Call me irrational, insensitive, stereotypical, or racist but I am terrified of the possibility of a plane crashing and the possibility of a hostage situation.

I get motion sickness quite quickly (even if I take an anti-motion sickness pill) and my ears always pop when the plane takes off/lands. I've tried using those ear plugs but they don't work.

I hate flying.. My psychiatrist believe I have a full on phobia of it. So, trying exposure therapy, took me to an air port. I wouldn't even look towards the planes. I started to freak out and... It was a mess.

So yea.. I hate flying.

(I'm not sure how any of that is racist :wacko: ).

Yeah, I realize that that the odds of getting in a plane crash are extremely slim, but the odds of surviving a serious accident are quite slim as well (especially at low altitudes where the pilots don't have much time to react).

Ear-poppings are probably my worst ranked pain (though I haven't gotten those in a while), next to stomach aches. On the way back from my first flown trip, my ears were popping horribly on landing, even on the ground whenever I looked up, though I eventually got over this, somehow...(don't not swallow).

You can hate flying all you want, the ground is your friend (usually) ;).

Oh, so we're posting photos of planes we took ourselves or were a few pages ago? Well, here's a Lufthansa 747-400 I took in Boston.

jSniH94.jpg

...and a Delta 757-200.

PHfMkGp.jpg

...and the tails of two Southwest 737-700s.

CDi1KLh.jpg

And not at an airport, but at a museum in Colorado Springs, a Lockheed EC-121T Warning Star.

CUdXGR2.jpg

I flew on one of those 747s last year! (probably not the exact same one though). 757s have a cool-looking droop nose IMO. We used to get those Delta 757s at my home airport, but they have been replaced by our friend the MD90 from Atlanta.

I've said "I" so much, I'm not selfish or self-centered! (at least I try not to be).

I recorded this a while back (terrible quality, but at least you get the idea). I learned to stand on the rocks to film. Also you can skip to 2:30 if you dare watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RqJIBLpM_E&list=UUyecNwVO81lmhSVQYXePA4A&feature=c4-overview

Edited by Wingin'Wolf

Yeah, I realize that that the odds of getting in a plane crash are extremely slim, but the odds of surviving a serious accident are quite slim as well (especially at low altitudes where the pilots don't have much time to react).

I say that I may have sounded racist because I am afraid if hostage situations.

Ear-poppings are probably my worst ranked pain (though I haven't gotten those in a while), next to stomach aches. On the way back from my first flown trip, my ears were popping horribly on landing, even on the ground whenever I looked up, though I eventually got over this, somehow...(don't not swallow).

You can hate flying all you want, the ground is your friend (usually) ;).

I flew on one of those 747s last year! (probably not the exact same one though). 757s have a cool-looking droop nose IMO. We used to get those Delta 757s at my home airport, but they have been replaced by our friend the MD90 from Atlanta.

I've said "I" so much, I'm not selfish or self-centered! (at least I try not to be).

I recorded this a while back (terrible quality, but at least you get the idea). I learned to stand on the rocks to film. Also you can skip to 2:30 if you dare watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RqJIBLpM_E&list=UUyecNwVO81lmhSVQYXePA4A&feature=c4-overview

I say I may have sounded racist because I said I am afraid of hostage situations.

I flew on one of those 747s last year! (probably not the exact same one though).
 The 747 in the photo is D-ABVE, which is currently sitting in Tulsa with no engines and blacked-out titles.

Speaking of retired aircraft, I flew on a Southwest 737-500 (N513SW) on one of its last-ever flights. Didn't even know that until the next day. Can't say I blame Southwest for wanting to retire them, they're old (first one delivered in 1990, last in 1992), cramped and noisy.

I say that I may have sounded racist because I am afraid if hostage situations.

I say I may have sounded racist because I said I am afraid of hostage situations.

You double quoted.

Well you didn't exactly say you were afraid of people who appeared to be Muslim on the plane, which could lead you to believe they work for Al-Qaeda, so it's fine.

The 747 in the photo is D-ABVE, which is currently sitting in Tulsa with no engines and blacked-out titles.

Speaking of retired aircraft, I flew on a Southwest 737-500 (N513SW) on one of its last-ever flights. Didn't even know that until the next day. Can't say I blame Southwest for wanting to retire them, they're old (first one delivered in 1990, last in 1992), cramped and noisy.

So the aircraft is dead now. I always wonder about the fate of aircraft I have ridden. I'm sure Aeromexico's 757s and Saabs have probably been scrapped by now, as well as a chunk of American's MD80s.

Aircraft come and go. You see them in great numbers a decade in the past, and then they permanently disappear forever.

Edited by Wingin'Wolf

You double quoted.

Well you didn't exactly say you were afraid of people who appeared to be Muslim on the plane, which could lead you to believe they work for Al-Qaeda, so it's fine.

I apologize for quoting twice, my iPad is being laggy and glitchy.

And yea, I tried to keep it subtle ^^;

• Brohoof 1

as well as a chunk of American's MD80s.
 Wouldn't doubt it. Some of them are from back when MD-80s were the DC-9-80, had aluminum tails and the original tailcone.

2365650.jpg

^This one, in particular, was delivered in 1986 and retired in 2012.

Wouldn't doubt it. Some of them are from back when MD-80s were the DC-9-80, had aluminum tails and the original tailcone.

2365650.jpg

^This one, in particular, was delivered in 1986 and retired in 2012.

Not bad with the aluminum tail.

I flew it 4 times in a row in one trip and fell in love with the MD80 (besides the fact I sat next to the engine for 2 of those legs). Makes you feel like you're on a rocket ship!

And sadly, they've only got about 4 years left serving American, but will probably continue with Delta and Allegiant for a while.

Edited by Wingin'Wolf

I flew it 4 times in a row in one trip and fell in love with the MD80 (besides the fact I sat next to the engine for 2 of those legs). Makes you feel like you're on a rocket ship!

And sadly, they've only got about 4 years left serving American, but will probably continue with Delta and Allegiant for a while.

I don't think I ever flew on an MD-80, but I've been on the L-1011, 767-200, 727-200, 737-200, 737-500, 737-700 and 737-800. I kinda want to go international one of these days, because the 737 is a bit... boring, and I want to see more than just the US. The only problem is, of course, money.

Oh yeah, dunno how many of you heard this yet, but the FAA certified the Surface 2 for in-cockpit use during flight operations. Pretty sure Delta is excited.

They aim to be paperless by the end of the year, with all of their pilots equipped with the Surface 2 instead. They claim that by replacing the 38lb flight bag with the 1.5lb tablet will save them both fuel and money, by reducing the weight on the plane, while also increasing pilot productivity by enabling them to easily pull up charts, operating manuals or weather information. I'm kinda hoping this starts a trend in the industry.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I ever flew on an MD-80, but I've been on the L-1011, 767-200, 727-200, 737-200, 737-500, 737-700 and 737-800. I kinda want to go international one of these days, because the 737 is a bit... boring, and I want to see more than just the US. The only problem is, of course, money.

Oh yeah, dunno how many of you heard this yet, but the FAA certified the Surface 2 for in-cockpit use during flight operations. Pretty sure Delta is excited.

They aim to be paperless by the end of the year, with all of their pilots equipped with the Surface 2 instead. They claim that by replacing the 38lb flight bag with the 1.5lb tablet will save them both fuel and money, by reducing the weight on the plane, while also increasing pilot productivity by enabling them to easily pull up charts, operating manuals or weather information. I'm kinda hoping this starts a trend in the industry.

Boring eh? I guess, aside from its reliability and fuel-efficiency, there's nothing very distinct or cool about it; no hump like the 747; no engine mounted on the vertical fin like the DC10; it's a mainstream aircraft!

As for the video....ooh, such science, very organized, many dollars saved! I wonder what else the surface will be good for... *coughminesweepercough*.

ok guys, i see that you are vicil airplaned and company enthusiasts (i prefer military ones, but i have been just in a f-16 as "viewer", an c-130 and an Alenia C-27J Spartan (good lord i love this plane)

ok, so, let me start a flame war

BOEING > AIRBUS!

and now hate me! XD

anyway i am really surprised to see how much people hate/are afraid of flying XD it is one of the best archivement of humanity!

• Brohoof 1

ok guys, i see that you are vicil airplaned and company enthusiasts (i prefer military ones, but i have been just in a f-16 as "viewer", an c-130 and an Alenia C-27J Spartan (good lord i love this plane)

ok, so, let me start a flame war

BOEING > AIRBUS!

and now hate me! XD

anyway i am really surprised to see how much people hate/are afraid of flying XD it is one of the best archivement of humanity!

I'd like to see a Boeing v Airbus debate in the debate forum, but it would only appear to be one of those "tomato: vegetable or fruit" arguments.

Since Boeing and Airbus are the largest aircraft manufacturers, their aircraft are typically more well-known and recognizable than military aircraft (though I could identify several). I like the F15.

f-15c-1999407f15lakenh.jpg

• Brohoof 1

@,

ah for me is the opposite XD i know very well military aircraft, in particual fighters, and i have a weak spot for russian Sukhoi :(

personaly my favourite military jet for design and stuff is the Eurofighter Thyphoon, the best looking one according to me is the russian su-27, the jet i would pray to never met if i were an enemy pilot is the f-22

for civilian airplanes i just know boeing planes... call me a fanboy or stuff but i LOVE the 737, in particualr the models with those cute windegts (or how the hay they are called) on the wings :)

@,

ah for me is the opposite XD i know very well military aircraft, in particual fighters, and i have a weak spot for russian Sukhoi :(

personaly my favourite military jet for design and stuff is the Eurofighter Thyphoon, the best looking one according to me is the russian su-27, the jet i would pray to never met if i were an enemy pilot is the f-22

for civilian airplanes i just know boeing planes... call me a fanboy or stuff but i LOVE the 737, in particualr the models with those cute windegts (or how the hay they are called) on the wings :)

The Eurofighter Typhoon; cool design its got!

The 737 looks sort of odd if it doesn't have winglets in my opinion. Have you been looking into the 737 MAX project? New winglet design!

Boeing_737_MAX-8_Final_Concept_Rendering

• Brohoof 1

@,

OMG! BEAUTIFULL! very clever design! it will surelly reduce the turbolence even under the wing! i think that this litttle thing will increase fuel efficency even more! very very nice design! brohoof for the engineers!

and for the Eurofighter, yeah i love his clean and clear style, the canard, deltas and overall the enormeous multipurpose capability it got! it can be armed with everything! from american Aim-9x sidewinders IR missiles, to the italian equivalent ASPIDE, bombs, JTDM, IR bombs, gps bombs, mavericks, aintradar, aim-120, aim-7, and even the new french missile/bomb that basically fly in a straight line and during his patch it releases lot of small explosive sharpnels, used for autocolumn and to destroy airport's runaway, i can't remeber the name damn it! i just remember there were the word "storm" in it... anyway, i really like the fact that when unarmed they look like training jets, but hell... they can be loaded to the double of the weight! XD

eurofighter-efba04.jpg

Eurofighter_Weapons_Array_lg.jpg

the missile i was talking about is in the front, just next to the LANTIRN pod

look at were they put the aim-120s here to let space for the ir bombs! one behind the other! so clever! i love this solution!

Eurofighter%2B-%2BWeapons-705398.jpg

found the missile i was talking about! STORM SHADOW, aka

SCALP EG (Système de Croisière Autonome à Longue Portée – Emploi Général)

hats off to my french cousins XD

Storm_Shadow_p1220865.jpg

• Brohoof 1