Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DubWolf

(edited)

Wut?  Dude, I get paid six figures to fly 10 hour (or 12, or 16 and sometimes 24 hour) days, and I sometimes wonder if it's worth the misery involved.  People do it for fun?  More than once?

I assume you are a pilot at a major airline then, or some other high paying pilot career I guess. Care to tell us of what you do in the cockpit when the plane is on auto-pilot? (and other stuff) What do you fly/who do you fly for, if you don't mind :wacko: ?

Today I just took off, turned on auto pilot, and went to school. Then I came back, waited a few hours and landed in Brazil. Can't really "head off to school" when you're in a plane.

Edited by Super80 Wolf

Nope. This brony doesn't like heights. Even when I fly on a commercial passenger plane, I have to brace myself a bit and calm my nerves. After all, in just a short while I will be 30,000+ feet in the air for a few hours. That's still an amazing and frightening fact to consider.

If you're good at flying, I respect that greatly. It's just not something I'd ever get into.

I assume you are a pilot at a major airline then, or some other high paying pilot career I guess. Care to tell us of what you do in the cockpit when the plane is on auto-pilot? (and other stuff) What do you fly/who do you fly for, if you don't mind :wacko: ?

Today I just took off, turned on auto pilot, and went to school. Then I came back, waited a few hours and landed in Brazil. Can't really "head off to school" when you're in a plane.

Not an airline, but an organization that needs to frequently move assets to and from various places around the world.

When I'm over the ocean, I'm required to follow protocol established by universally agreed upon criteria.  Simply put: I have to continually check up on my own progress, as compared to other aircraft navigating through the same air space.  If I get too close to somebody else (or if I let somebody else get too close to me), I have to take steps to avoid them.  Seriously, without giving a dissertation on how exactly it works, just rest assured nobody crosses the ocean without immaculate, continuous cross-checking of their location, proximity, fuel burn, oxygen availability, and a dozen other contingency factors that change throughout the leg.

• Brohoof 1

Not an airline, but an organization that needs to frequently move assets to and from various places around the world.

When I'm over the ocean, I'm required to follow protocol established by universally agreed upon criteria. Simply put: I have to continually check up on my own progress, as compared to other aircraft navigating through the same air space. If I get too close to somebody else (or if I let somebody else get too close to me), I have to take steps to avoid them. Seriously, without giving a dissertation on how exactly it works, just rest assured nobody crosses the ocean without immaculate, continuous cross-checking of their location, proximity, fuel burn, oxygen availability, and a dozen other contingency factors that change throughout the leg.

I assume you have another pilot to help you out for those long legs. At least you don't have nothing to do on the plane; what would you be doing otherwise? It could get boring I bet.

I assume you have another pilot to help you out for those long legs. At least you don't have nothing to do on the plane; what would you be doing otherwise? It could get boring I bet.

Yes, my jet has a minimum crew of 3 (including 2 pilots), but for very long trips we have a bigger crew, so we can switch out, get some sleep, etc.

While performing crew duties, we're not supposed to do anything distracting, but on quiet nights sometimes we have the whole crew playing Risk on our iPads.

Yes, my jet has a minimum crew of 3 (including 2 pilots), but for very long trips we have a bigger crew, so we can switch out, get some sleep, etc.

While performing crew duties, we're not supposed to do anything distracting, but on quiet nights sometimes we have the whole crew playing Risk on our iPads.

What can you do that's the closest you can get to being barely distracting (sorry what sounds weird)?

I used this a while back. I crash-landed a glider onto my street.

Good times.

Heheh, it's also fun to fly really fast near the ground and other buildings (you can see how fast you're really going as opposed to when you're in the stratosphere). I actually recently finished flying from Sydney to Dallas (took 14+ hours).

110114%20qf.jpg

Qantas_VH-OEE_at_DFW.jpg

Every morning, I wake up and eat breakfast. Then I open the door and fly straight to my school.

Let's say I'm more down to earth. ^_^ Roadrunners don't fly often after all.

You're a roadrunner mate?

I wouldn't skydive but I love going on planes. It feel amazinggg

Yeah, after the take-off, it's all downhill from there (get it? Well actually no since you still have to climb up to a certain altitude, and then the landing is a bit exciting). Almost like a rollercoaster ride, except it lasts longer and it isn't painful (excluding ear pains if you don't swallow your saliva often).

(edited)

@,

Do you have anything of the BAW 787 at AUS during the day? The one at Newark comes through at night.

http://777boeing.com/british-airways-puts-austin-transatlantic-flight/

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW191

BTW, 191 is an unlucky number.

The BAW 787 currently only operates 5 times a week. I've only seen the actual plane once; I was sitting in traffic downtown and saw the plane descending to the airport. So no, I have no videos of my own, but this one is good. It is the inaugural landing:

Or this:

I wonder what the thoughts of the 737 and cessna were when this.. "historical event" happened  :yay: .

As you can see, there are many people at the viewing area.

Bad luck? Ruh roh.

Edited by Super80 Wolf

Flight simming? Oh boy do I love flight simming!

One time I flew an L-1011 out of... Pyongyang.

Why? Because.

Yeesh.  Sometimes they make me practice (in the sim) approaches and departures from that place.  I hope that day never actually comes.

img-2444158-1-l1011pyongyang.png

Why? Because.

Because their MiG's can't do shit about it.

Edited by WindChaserPegasus

img-2444158-1-l1011pyongyang.png

Why? Because.

What flight simulator is that?

There are many airports left unexplored to me in gefs.

What flight simulator is that?

There are many airports left unexplored to me in gefs.

Flight Simulator 2004. I should try out FSX for reals one of these days now that I might finally have a PC that can run it.

Flight Simulator 2004. I should try out FSX for reals one of these days now that I might finally have a PC that can run it.

Hmm, does FS2004 have the MD80? I'd like to fly one.

Hmm, does FS2004 have the MD80? I'd like to fly one.

Not by default, but I have an addon MD-80. Two actually, one by HJG and another by SGA. HJG is in TWA's last livery while SGA is in American's old livery.

I kind of like flying when I don't think too much, i mean your in a metal cylinder 20,000 or so hooves in the air and your just floating...

Makes me not want to fly.

Anyway whats the deal with no internet during the flight, its not like my phone is going to crash a plane. They even use flight navigation with items that use internet, whats the deal with that?

Not by default, but I have an addon MD-80. Two actually, one by HJG and another by SGA. HJG is in TWA's last livery while SGA is in American's old livery.

American's old livery was great. I can't imagine how the MD80s will look with.. that.. *gurk*

american-airlines-new-livery-md80aa-new-

But of course, stuff might look better in real life than in a photo or pic. Trust me.

I kind of like flying when I don't think too much, i mean your in a metal cylinder 20,000 or so hooves in the air and your just floating...

Makes me not want to fly.

Anyway whats the deal with no internet during the flight, its not like my phone is going to crash a plane. They even use flight navigation with items that use internet, whats the deal with that?

Actually, I know some airlines like American and Virgin do offer wifi on a fraction of their airplanes (I think Virgin might have it on all their planes). I noticed that before take off recently, they announced to put our phones on airplane mode as opposed to just turning them off. I hope this doesn't distract people from the safety instructions prior to take off. You'll never know when you need to know.

American's old livery was great. I can't imagine how the MD80s will look with.. that.. *gurk*
 I doubt that their MD-80s, 757s and 767-200s will ever see a drop of paint beyond what's on them right now.

I doubt that their MD-80s, 757s and 767-200s will ever see a drop of paint beyond what's on them right now.

The MD80s have 4 years to go; the domestic 757s need to be replaced by a321s first; and the 767 200s are done in under 2 months.

Meaning, a handful of MD80s and 757s will probably get the paint job.

Meaning, a handful of MD80s and 757s will probably get the paint job.
 Probably. That happened with some Delta 727s before they were retired in 2003.