Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DubWolf

I feel like birds taunt me with their ability to fly. :P

Rather than flying a plane, I would want to go hang gliding.

It is funny actually. I want to fly, but I am scared of heights.

HA, you and me both! Most of my fear of heights is the idea that I could fall though. If I could fly that wouldn't be an issue though. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

HA, you and me both! Most of my fear of heights is the idea that I could fall though. If I could fly that wouldn't be an issue though. :lol:

Falling is the exact reason why I am scared of heights as well. Falling into water could drown you, but I feel like hang gliding over a lake is where it is at. Water seems like it would be a little better about killing somebody if they fell. It is why I won't ever go sky diving. It isn't flying. It's falling with style.

• Brohoof 2

Falling is the exact reason why I am scared of heights as well. Falling into water could drown you, but I feel like hang gliding over a lake is where it is at. Water seems like it would be a little better about killing somebody if they fell. It is why I won't ever go sky diving. It isn't flying. It's falling with style.

With enough force the water would kill you anyway. It's a lot less likely than landing on a rock though. xD

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

It depends what I am flying over. If it was the ocean then I would like it and feel more comfortable doing it.

That's weird, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't want to fly over the water considering you'd be stranded for a long time if you did crash midway. You also wouldn't necessarily have a soft landing if your pilot couldn't successfully ditch the plane into the water. Have you heard of Air France flight 447?

pffft, no. Lockheed L-1011 is best plane.

img-2314693-1-1902634.jpg

A three-holer fan eh? We don't see any L1011s in the sky anymore (I don't think I've ever seen a real one, except for its close relative, the DC10).

Honestly my favorite plane to ride is the MD80. Its high pitched JT8D engines on take off sounded incredible to me and even made me want to be a pilot again. Sadly their years are numbered as they are being retired (at least with American Airlines). I do hope to fly it one more time before it's too late.

md80amer.jpg

Edited by Wingin'Wolf
  • Brohoof 1

A three-holer fan eh? We don't see any L1011s in the sky anymore (I don't think I've ever seen a real one, except for its close relative, the DC10).
 My first flight ever was on a Delta L-1011, so I might be a bit biased. Flew from Boston to Atlanta to Phoenix to Honolulu.

Its high pitched JT8D engines on take off sounded amazing
The original JT8Ds on the DC-9 and 727 are better mkay.

That's weird, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't want to fly over the water considering you'd be stranded for a long time if you did crash midway. You also wouldn't necessarily have a soft landing if your pilot couldn't successfully ditch the plane into the water. Have you heard of Air France flight 447?

Honestly my favorite plane to ride is the MD80. Its high pitched JT8D engines on take off sounded incredible to me and even made me want to be a pilot again. Sadly their years are numbered as they are being retired (at least with American Airlines). I do hope to fly it one more time before it's too late.

md80amer.jpg

Ouch. 228 deaths. I mean it in a sense not exactly that it wouldn't kill me, but rather I'd have a better chance of surviving if the pilot was able to fly the plane and land it correctly, which may be pretty hard. If I did get a plane, I'd want a single seater that has those ski's on the bottom. I'm not really educated about the models, but you know what I mean right? I remember seeing one somewhere before. Edited by Judgement

My first flight ever was on a Delta L-1011, so I might be a bit biased. Flew from Boston to Atlanta to Phoenix to Honolulu.

The original JT8Ds on the DC-9 and 727 are better mkay.

L1011 on all those connecting flights?

Ouch. 228 deaths. I mean it in a sense not exactly that it wouldn't kill me, but rather I'd have a better chance of surviving if the pilot was able to fly the plane and land it correctly, which may be pretty hard. If I did get a plane, I'd want a single seater that has those ski's on the bottom. I'm not really educated about the models, but you know what I mean right? I remember seeing one somewhere before.

If an engine were to go out 35000 feet over land, the plane would have the option of landing on another airport below, unless it has at least 3 engines to start out with and is exempt from ETOPS regulations, then it could fly to its destination without a problem. A plane overseas in the same situation would... well actually it would never have to deal with water landings assuming it has one engine left, but if both or all engines went out hypothetically, it would be forced to land on the water. But yes, a water land is safer in the short run, after that then you're stuck hunger and thirst ;).

• Brohoof 1

L1011 on all those connecting flights?
 Yeah, iirc.

I don't remember I was only like six months old. All I know is that the Lockheed plane was the first plane I ever flew on.

Yeah, iirc.

I don't remember I was only like six months old. All I know is that the Lockheed plane was the first plane I ever flew on.

That's cool, *checks age*, you were about my age (though I didn't fly until I was 13), back when L1011s were still a thing.

Anyone here into flying, planes, and wings and stuff? You can express your enthusiasm and relation to flying here (by any means)!

As for myself, I've always enjoyed flying in video games (whether it be Super Strike Eagle or GTA) and wanted to fly a plane in real life, though not as a career (up until last year though). I recently started ground school at my university (informal class), so I'm just now beginning my journey to a pilot career. I've also had a lot of dreams where I can fly on my own in the sky and over the land. I love that feeling.

I happen to use this free, online simulator often with the call sign of "TheRedBadger":

http://www/.gefs-online.com

Uh, flying for me is interesting... I'm insanely scared of heights, like 10x more than flutter shy, but when you're in the air it feels as if you're finally free from the things that trap me/you... I seriously feel so banded, and flying gives me the sense of being alive once more, being able to finally be free. As a brony, who of course has been bullied for a long period of his life, feel that the limits that people have given me and I've come to accept make flying something I love to do, but I fear freedom. That's why I feel that I'm afraid of heights, it gives me the sense of being free but I've been bounded to the ground my whole life, I was never told I could do what I wanted, what I must, nets have captured me... So, I feel that I'm not brave enough to fly, I can't escape my boundaries, but I tell people to be free, to be open and I can't... I'm a hypocrite, it's why I hate myself. It's why the thought of killing myself seems to be comforting, but then in the dreams I have, the amazing-ness of being free, having no limits... When I dream I have the power to live freely, I am free when I dream so I'm free to fly... There are no boundaries when I dream which makes me want to dream forever, and that just makes the thoughts of killing myself be able to fix everything. Think about it, put your feet in my shoe's, I can only be free when I dream, and when I die I'm in a dream that last forever. A dream that will never end, I have unlimited power, I can do what I please. But, thanks to you guys, thanks to you guys, I've found meaning... Meaning, in the reason to live, this place let's me be who I want to, you give me the feeling of being in a forever dream and I thank you... I thank you for saving my life, I know I digressed, but this was important, before I came to you guys for comfort after spending all me life trying to distract myself long enough so I can dream once more, I'm able to be in a dream for the rest of my life, without having to hurt myself.

Edit: I can't thank you guys enough for giving me the freedom to choose and be what I truly am... I am a brony, who is free, free from the boundaries that were set up through all my life. I am free, I'm motherfucking free. I'M FUCKING FREE, IF YOU'VE BEEN TRAPPED ALL YOUR LIFE YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND THE FEELING OF BEING FREE!

Edited by Kyobona
  • Brohoof 1

My dad is a glider pilot, he used to always take me out flying. I loved it so much, it'd always ask him if we could go for a fly. I've always kinda had a thought in the back of my mind, dreaming of being a pilot, dreaming of sitting down on a chair in front of all the controls that would become familiar and smile at them.

Maybe one day I'll follow it, but who knows?

Every pony here is posting plane pictures and I'm just writing random stuff that's in a book I wrote.

That my sir is called SPAM!!

Please talk about planes/rockets/flying/etc., or you will face her wrath!

5931155f77f5f5295128da270383d5d4_1024.pn

Have a nice day!

N953AR_MD11F_Skylease_Cargo_19_maart_201

Edited by Wingin'Wolf

That my sir is called SPAM!!

Please talk about planes/rockets/flying/etc., or you will face her wrath!

5931155f77f5f5295128da270383d5d4_1024.pn

I know nothing of planes, like at all. I dislike that you say it's spam though makes me cry.

I know nothing of planes, like at all. I dislike that you say it's spam though makes me cry.

Well then this is not the topic for you. Unfortunately it is the truth...that your comment is spam/off-topic. I'm sure you've been on an airplane before, you can share that if you wish!

Well then this is not the topic for you. Unfortunately it is the truth...that your comment is spam/off-topic. I'm sure you've been on an airplane before, you can share that if you wish!

Nope, never been... Wait I have, but I was asleep the whole flight listening to a repeat of Big Mac saying "Eeyup."

By the way, I was talking about how I was into flying... That's the name of the topic^^ Sure, I digressed but meh.

Nope, never been... Wait I have, but I was asleep the whole flight listening to a repeat of Big Mac saying "Eeyup."

By the way, I was talking about how I was into flying... That's the name of the topic^^ Sure, I digressed but meh.

Oh yeah you wrote that mega post, I forgot about that  :P , I even brohoofed it.

That last post of yours that I labeled as spam..was sort of pointless and spammy however.

Edited by Wingin'Wolf

Oh yeah you wrote that mega post, I forgot about that  :P , I even brohoofed it.

That last post of yours that I labeled as spam..was sort of pointless and spammy however.

I was telling the truth. I felt that I was being the odd one out for telling a story instead of talking about planes. Sorry if I you know, spammed your thread :(

I was telling the truth. I felt that I was being the odd one out for telling a story instead of talking about planes. Sorry if I you know, spammed your thread :(

Not at all! I probably wouldn't have called you on that post if I saw that you previously posted something already though.

(this conversation is also raising my post count, heeheheeh).

Edited by Wingin'Wolf

Not at all! I probably wouldn't have called you on that post if I saw that you previously posted something already though.

(this conversation is also raising my post count, heeheheeh).

Then that makes me right?

Then that makes me right?

No, and this conversation is definitely off topic and we should continue with the discussion of airplanes!

I happen to like this promotional video of the glorious MD80:

Edited by Wingin'Wolf