Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else disappointed in Trenderhoof?

Forlong

140206my-little-pony1.jpg

I was actually curious with what they were going to do with this guy.  He seemed rather interesting.  A high class pony that develops an interest in farm life?  Sounded like an interesting dynamic.  But he was just boring to watch and had nothing interesting to say.  He came off as a little to annoying.  It doesn't seem very "high class" to bite an apple so hard that you spray apple juice all over the pony next to you.

I can't be the only one that thinks he was dull as a rock in the desert.

• Brohoof 10

He sounded interesting when you heard about him, but when it came time to actually see his dialogue and how he was portrayed I wouldn't say he was a character that I would like.

• Brohoof 5

I'm actually not sure if Trenderhoof is or ever was 'high class".

He seem's more like a hipster, former-starving-artist type. He became famous and successful because of his work, but I don't believe he had a particularly high-society upbringing.

But yes, I totally agree that he is dull.

I was so disappointed with his design and voice. He just did not have a real presence or personality.

• Brohoof 3

Kinda hard to judge with this one.  Having lived in high society most of his life he would know little of farm life where it would seem interesting to him.  Now whether that is a genuine interest in a different life style or just a passing fad for him would be interesting to find out.

Now for what the episode had to say about changing yourself for some one ells I have mixed feelings on.   When we find some one we like, we really like, we will make changes to ourselves.  I think that is inevitable.  Now the extent that this guy took it was too much.  If anything I think his biggest flaw was not knowing how to talk to other people.  I guess when you travel so much you don't hang around long enough to make friends or learn how to.

If he introduced himself and asked to spend some time with AJ later when she wasn't buisy, then maybe I'd be real upset that they are shipping AJ with some pony ells. You can't do that! MY AJ !  Nooooooo....!!!!

• Brohoof 3

He's defiantly not a prick, he's just a dumbass who fell for a chick and couldn't keep his composure.  I liked his character, even though he was famous, he was still willing to travel all the way to Ponyville and discuss the festival all down to earth and not privileged like a lot of celebrates act.  Still though, he was under used and I think if we could have explored him a little more, the impact of the flings could have been much higher, and maybe I would have cared more. 

Edited by Deesinn
  • Brohoof 4

What exactly did he have coming?

Well, lemme explain to you the problem here.

He was entirely neglectful of Rarity's obvious feelings for him. He didn't even give her the benefit of the doubt, like she ever so often does with Spike. That's wrong. Was nothing but apathetic.

Furthermore, it's easy to credit him as being the one who drove her into acting that way; while Rarity does overreact, she will never go that far at her own will. With this celebrity she was ever so star-struck over completely ignoring her and going on and on about Applejack, one of her closest friends and maybe even her polar opposite, jealousy was afoot.

Regardless, even outside of Rarity he was still awful. He flat out stalked AJ, pushing her to hide inside of a henhouse and even trying to move in with her at one point.

I think he deserved to get some bad mojo in the end, but he didn't; that disappointed me.

• Brohoof 6

I kept my expectations of him very low since Rarity doesn't usually have the best taste in stallions *coughBluebloodcough* so I can't honestly say I was too disappointed. I think that his instant infatuation with Applejack while funny and understandable on all accounts, seemed rather pathetic. He had fallen in love with her just because she was an applebucking farm pony as if he'd never seen one of those before, which is strange considering he's a travel writer. I can understand his love at first sight crush on Applejack, and I can even understand his wanting to move in with her as over-the-top as that was, but that redneck getup he put on in hopes of somehow impressing AJ shows that he's quite ignorant. Oh, and he's a hipster. :P

Trenderhoof wasn't mean or shallow so much as he was really foolish, so I don't have any reason to hate the character, but by the same token he's not a favorite of mine either.

• Brohoof 4

Well, lemme explain to you the problem here.

He was entirely neglectful of Rarity's obvious feelings for him. He didn't even give her the benefit of the doubt, like she ever so often does with Spike. That's wrong. Was nothing but apathetic.

Furthermore, it's easy to credit him as being the one who drove her into acting that way; while Rarity does overreact, she will never go that far at her own will. With this celebrity she was ever so star-struck over completely ignoring her and going on and on about Applejack, one of her closest friends and maybe even her polar opposite, jealousy was afoot.

Regardless, even outside of Rarity he was still awful. He flat out stalked AJ, pushing her to hide inside of a henhouse and even trying to move in with her at one point.

I think he deserved to get some bad mojo in the end, but he didn't; that disappointed me.

Eh, I don't know.

I don't think stupidity and obliviousness needs to be straight up punished, just corrected.

Trend's not malicious. He treated Rarity completely normally (except for dropping her, that was rude, but just about every character in the show has done something like that, Rarity included). He just has his head up his own rear.

And I just thought of something. If he's famous, I doubt Rarity is his only fan. And if spazzing fangirls is a regular thing you have to deal with, but you don't have feelings towards them, indulging them probably isn't the best idea. On top of that, he was as fixated on AJ as Rarity was on him, so neither really had their senses working at full capacity.

• Brohoof 4

Eh, I don't know.

I don't think stupidity and obliviousness needs to be straight up punished, just corrected.

Trend's not malicious. He treated Rarity completely normally (except for dropping her, that was rude, but just about every character in the show has done something like that, Rarity included). He just has his head up his own rear.

And I just thought of something. If he's famous, I doubt Rarity is his only fan. And if spazzing fangirls is a regular thing you have to deal with, but you don't have feelings towards them, indulging them probably isn't the best idea. On top of that, he was as fixated on AJ as Rarity was on him, so neither really had their senses working at full capacity.

Exactly how I feel about Trend.

• Brohoof 1

Eh, I don't know.

I feel his stupidity and obliviousness should've been punished as it was driving friends apart and creating emotional distress for others around him, not just Rarity, but AJ too; he put a damper on their friendship, scared AJ into hiding inside of a chicken-coop, and nearly drove poor Rarity insane.

Now, there's a certain point where you've got to realize the mistakes of your ways; his obliviousness to all around him actually created a huge conflict that was the driving force behind the whole episode, let alone causing emotional stress for a select couple of mane 6-ers.

There's a point that obliviousness should be corrected, and seeing how his general apathy and obliviousness ended up being as harmful to those around him as it did, I'd say yes, that should be corrected. 

He could've tried to do something about it, as he was generally witnessing it the whole time, but he didn't. He could've at least not been so apathetic and oblivious; but he didn't try. So, therefore, he should be punished accordingly.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

I feel his stupidity and obliviousness should've been punished as it was driving friends apart and creating emotional distress for others around him, not just Rarity, but AJ too; he put a damper on their friendship, scared AJ into hiding inside of a chicken-coop, and nearly drove poor Rarity insane.

Now, there's a certain point where you've got to realize the mistakes of your ways; his obliviousness to all around him actually created a huge conflict that was the driving force behind the whole episode, let alone causing emotional stress for a select couple of mane 6-ers.

There's a point that obliviousness should be corrected, and seeing how his general apathy and obliviousness ended up being as harmful to those around him as it did, I'd say yes, that should be corrected. 

He could've tried to do something about it, as he was generally witnessing it the whole time, but he didn't. He could've at least not been so apathetic and oblivious; but he didn't try. So, therefore, he should be punished accordingly.

So if someone has a crush on a friend of yours, but you have a crush on them and they don't realize it, they're responsible for your jealousy and desperate actions? I'm more of the, "Get a grip on yourself, don't get jealous and go crazy, and find a way to talk things out" type.

• Brohoof 1

So if someone has a crush on a friend of yours, but you have a crush on them and they don't realize it, they're responsible for your jealousy and desperate actions? I'm more of the, "Get a grip on yourself, don't get jealous and go crazy, and find a way to talk things out" type.

Take a gander at the OP.

img-2287936-1-140206my-little-pony1.jpg

That whole scene, he didn't know AJ yet, and Rarity was so, so painfully obvious about it.

You can't say he was oblivious enough at that point in time not to catch. He wasn't oblivious at all until he met AJ. I'd go as far as to call him a smart cookie.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

I feel his stupidity and obliviousness should've been punished as it was driving friends apart and creating emotional distress for others around him, not just Rarity, but AJ too; he put a damper on their friendship, scared AJ into hiding inside of a chicken-coop, and nearly drove poor Rarity insane.

Nah, he didn't need to be punished. No offense but Rarity was being kind of stupid herself, it wasn't his fault.

Take a gander at the OP.

That whole scene, he didn't know AJ yet, and Rarity was so, so painfully obvious about it.

You can't say he was oblivious enough at that point in time not to catch it.

Ehhhh... I don't know.

As an extremely oblivious person myself, I've missed out on a LOT of "obvious" clues from people.

But then of course I have a mild case of Asbergers. I've had people get very frustrated at me for not picking up on their "hints", and all I can say to them is, "What hints? Speak your mind to me, darn it!! I'm not psychic, I don't know the nuances behind your every wink and nudge!!" So I have an "excuse", but I don't expect more from others. Some people just need to have things spelled out for them.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

Ehhhh... I don't know.

As an extremely oblivious person myself, I've missed out on a LOT of "obvious" clues from people.

But then of course I have a mild case of Asbergers. I've had people get very frustrated at me for not picking up on their "hints", and all I can say to them is, "What hints? Speak your mind to me, darn it!!" So I have an "excuse", but I don't expect more from others. Some people just need to have things spelled out for them.

Yeahh, but I don't think Trenderhoof had mild aspergers.

I also think that he's well known in a job that requires him to travel and socialize with other ponies; you don't get famous at something for being bad at it, and his job pretty much requires a lot of direct socialization. He should be able to know these things to be good at his job; he, at the least, has basic social skills, which is all that would be needed to pick up on Rarity's advances pre-obliviousness.

Yeahh, but I don't think Trenderhoof had mild aspergers.

I also think that he's well known in a job that requires him to travel and socialize with other ponies; you don't get famous at something for being bad at it, and his job pretty much requires a lot of direct socialization. He should be able to know these things to be good at his job; he, at the least, has basic social skills, which is all that would be needed to pick up on Rarity's advances pre-obliviousness.

Hey there are a lot of people with Aspergers in very impressive professions all over the world. You can learn how to socialize. I've gotten way better at it since I was a kid, like looking people in the eye when speaking to them and stuff like that.

Fake it till you make it!! 83

But what I was saying is you don't need to have Asperger's to be oblivious. Everyone's got personality flaws and I don't really think people should be punished for them unless they're causing real harm intentionally. If Trends personality flaws in this episode should be punished, then so should Rarity's, because she was causing a lot of the conflict with her own actions.

• Brohoof 1

Hey there are a lot of people with Aspergers in very impressive professions all over the world. You can learn how to socialize. I've gotten way better at it since I was a kid, like looking people in the eye when speaking to them and stuff like that.

Fake it till you make it!! 83

But what I was saying is you don't need to have Asperger's to be oblivious. Everyone's got personality flaws and I don't really think people should be punished for them unless they're causing real harm intentionally. If Trends personality flaws in this episode should be punished, then so should Rarity's, because she was causing a lot of the conflict with her own actions.

I'm not badmouthing people with Asperger's, I simply stated Trenderhoof doesn't have them. This isn't about Asperger's, you brought it up, so I just said "He doesn't have them."

Furthermore, he wasn't oblivious at the scene in the OP, like I said earlier, and I've given enough reasons as to why he should be able to pick up on her advances. Not return, mind you, but not be totally oblivious to. He also hadn't met AJ at that point yet.

And my problem was that Rarity was pushed to doing what she did by Trenderhoof's apathy to her feelings. She caused a lot of the conflict with her actions, all of which were directly/indirectly caused by him; he showed no remorse, even in the end, and I've provided reason/evidence he should've at least been aware of her feelings. So, ergo, I feel he should've been punished.