S04:E14 - Filli Vanilli  

359 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Pinkie Pie beat Big Mac in a turkey call competition. That's amazing. 

Also, is there nobody else in town who could fill Big Mac's part? 

Anyway, I've been really harsh on this one, and I think that was mostly borne out of frustration for where Fluttershy was at this point. It's yet another episode about Fluttershy being afraid of something. But while I still wish the show hadn't mined this same territory this often, this time around I had a much easier time seeing that this is actually a particularly good version of the "Fluttershy is afraid" plotline. The stage fright conceit does a really nice job of balancing Fluttershy's anxiety with other emotions: she genuinely loves singing, and might like to sing in front of a crowd some day, but she's just not ready for the actual limelight - she's afraid to take the responsibility of putting herself out there to be recognized. The way this episode ends, with Fluttershy making progress towards that goal and even suggesting she'll get there one day, is a particularly nuanced and mature take on the usual Fluttershy themes, even if it's very similar to lessons Fluttershy has learned in past episodes. I've always found this one immensely charming, so I'm really happy I was able to see through the kinda rote premise this time around.

Score:
Entertainment: 9/10
Characters: 7/10
Themes: 8/10
Story: 7/10
Overall: 78/100

• 1 month later...

This feels like a poor man's "Hurricane Fluttershy" in a lot of ways. They both even have a freak out bit where Fluttershy imagines a bunch of eyes staring at her. The Fluttershy story was still handled well, but what makes me enjoy this episode isn't Fluttershy, it's mostly Rarity. I think this is Rarity's best portrayal in all of season 4. Her part in cheering up Fluttershy at the end is her crowning moment of the season for me. Obviously the only thing that holds this episode back is Pinkie. I like the turkey call competition, but everything else that came out of her mouth was really annoying. She went past comic relief to ruining any dramatic tension the scene once had. Still, that's not enough to ruin the episode for me.

Score: 7/10

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed this episode. It was part cute and part funny.

Highlights...

- Pinky while Big Mac was being announced as the previous turkey call winner for the last several years.

- Zecora

- Big Mac’s expression when he first started lip syncing.

- The Pegasus critic guy (I think?) and his daughter.

- The different ways Flutter hid, and she looked so happy.

- Applejack figuring it all out.

- Rarity was great in the end, and I like how everyone pointed out how much she was loved.

- I like that Fluttershy learned from the whole expression, but it didn’t magically completely cure her of her stage fright.

Liked the title as it reflects the band that did lipsync even thought they had good vocies. 

People use that new app to alter their voice so it sounds better. Me I can hear it. It sounds like a high pitch vibrato type of voice to me. I can pick it out all the time. There are a lot of people using it these days. :/ Kinda makes anyone sound better to most. However I can detect it.

I liked the end song and the look of Fluttershy when she flew up towards the camera.  She looks so happy. fluttershysmiles.thumb.jpg.bdcfc16b4c309881e710cb0a03fa10df.jpg

• 2 months later...

I liked the music in this episode. But Pinky was being a bit mean to Fluttershy, and I didn't really find her jokes funny. I don't think Pinky is the kind of pony that says cruel jokes to somepony else when they're having a hard time. This episode's Pinky just felt a bit out of her actual character, and I found that to be a bit dissapointing. Aside from that, the story itself wasn't too bad.

• 3 months later...

Good episode. The story is a fairly basic one for Fluttershy, but it's executed really well. It's smart that the episode reincorporates poison joke as a plot point. It helps to make the episode unique and it's an unexpected yet clever solution. While the story is similar to other Fluttershy episodes, it still has a different and very good moral about how progress usually happens over a long time and taking small steps forward is important.

Also, Rarity shines here. She's very supportive and has a lot of great moments showing that. And the rest of the mane six have their moments too... except Pinkie. Yeah, Pinkie's controversial scenes here are still annoying, and same with most of the rest of the stuff she does, but she at least has a few good jokes and doesn't take away from the episode too much.

My only other issues are little things that kinda take me out of the episode. Like in the beginning, the mane six are surprised that they've never heard Fluttershy sing in front of them and Fluttershy revealing she has stage fright is treated like a big reveal for the characters. And near the end, Fluttershy acts like she was hiding how much she wanted to perform with the pony-tones from Rarity, when Fluttershy was the one who was pushing to perform at every event. 

Overall I like this episode, but I don't think it does anything really great. It's decently funny, tells a solid story, and has good performances from most of the characters. Not great, but still enjoyable.

Score: 7/10

• 6 months later...

A great episode, FS got development and rarity was portrayed really well unlike PP who was pretty oblivious and kinda over the top insensitive at times, although she had some great moments in the episode, like when she won that compitition.thumb.jpg.96a0428710b22702775dfa6df4c7ebcd.jpg  

https://derpibooru.org/552884?q=Filli+Vanilli

When I watched that episode I couldn't believe they brought flutter guy back. The music was good and overall I really enjoyed this episode.

https://derpibooru.org/618647?q=Filli+Vanilli  So cute

• 1 year later...

I love this ep just as much today as I did when I rewatched it like crazy when it came out. Music in the treetops is so good and the humour in the ep is great. There are few eps where Pinkie is better in a support role than this one

2fbd2617f761e572729a839a5a0ea315.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Dear fillies and gentle colts,

here you see why I fall in love with this show. I watched Tridashie Friendship is Musical series before I saw this one. Tridashie made me interest in this show. This episode finished the  job and made me start to watch the show from beginning immediately.

I still refuse to pick a fav. episode of MLP FiM but this episode here is so special that it almost is without me to need to pick it anyway.

I love the plot, I love the music, I love humor, I love the beginning, middle and ending. Fluttershy is my best pony :fluttershy:

The only thing one I criticize that Pinkie is acting a bit strange in this episode. I know the bar is pretty high but considering how she was acting in the Gilda episode from season one to protect Fluttershy I really think she would be aware of what Fluttershy frightens and definitely wouldn't act like this.

On 2021-03-09 at 12:36 AM, abrony-mouse said:

I love this ep just as much today as I did when I rewatched it like crazy when it came out. Music in the treetops is so good and the humour in the ep is great. There are few eps where Pinkie is better in a support role than this one

2fbd2617f761e572729a839a5a0ea315.jpg

I agree with you. But I have to admit without the context of this episode Pinkie's reply here is so Pinky that I'll never forget it :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

IT'S THE GLORIOUS RETURN OF FLUTTERGUY !

I like the song in this one, really catchy tune that sticks in your head. It's also a pretty standard story for Fultters, trying to overcome her stage fright to be able to sing like she wants. I honestly don't have much to say about this episode. Big Mac is cool as the baritone, I didn't know Rarity liked to sing, and the other two memebers are.....there ? I don't know. It's a very basic episode, with a basic premise, and a basic resolution. Nothing great, nothing horrible, just a good, normal episode.

6+0.5/10, pretty normal rating. :mlp_bedeyes: