Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pick a Flaw - S4E18 Maud Pie

Doctor XFizzle

72 users have voted

1. 1. What is your TOP complaint/dislike from today's episode?

• Pinkie Pie focus
    • Mane Six's interactions with Maud
    • Maud Pie herself
    • Boring episode
    • Pinkie's attempt to friend everyone together
    • The ending
    • Lack of proper journal entry/moral kinda
    • Other (explain)

Except that it wasn't done well.  So much time is spent focusing on Maud that we end up being bored with her.  If the point was to show a character that is a stark contrast with Pinkie and has trouble bonding with her friends, the same thing could have been accomplished with this character:

octavia__mlp_fim_by_atomicgreymon-d3g6tt

She is a fan favorite that many speculate is a sister of Pinkie Pie, and her fannon personality could easily prevent her from bonding with Pinkie's friends.

lolno, that'd be too much shoehorning in of a character. It'd end up being forced fan-service and take away from the episode itself.

Anyway, you need to put your money where your mouth is; you say it wasn't executed well, but I'd like to ask what makes you feel that way? :D

lolno, that'd be too much shoehorning in of a character. It'd end up being forced fan-service and take away from the episode itself.

Anyway, you need to put your money where your mouth is; you say it wasn't executed well, but I'd like to ask what makes you feel that way? :D

the Cerebrum make Forlong feel that way.... 

Feelings come from the Cerebrum part of the brain

First of all, each scene after Maud's introduction could be summed up as such:

• One of Pinkie's friends tries to bond with Maud.
  • Maud makes bonding difficult by being dull.
  • Awkward silence.

Lather, rinse, and frickin' repeat.  It would have been better if we learned something new about Maud in each scene.  Instead, each scene establishes what was already crystal clear: Maud is incredibly boring and interested in rocks.

post-3094-0-05840700-1394899310_thumb.png

Hell, here pet rock had more personality than she did.

• Brohoof 1

Forlong stole my Nostalgia Critic song drop!

But yeah, that was my issue. Maud Pie was too boring. It's such a shame. I was looking forward to the episode where Pinkie Pie was visited by her sister all season, especially after Pinkie Apple Pie failed to probe into Pinkie's own family and background.

That being said, Maud did make me chuckle with some of her deadpan lines. "I threw it."

• Brohoof 1

• Awkward silence.

Lather, rinse, and frickin' repeat.  It would have been better if we learned something new about Maud in each scene.  Instead, each scene establishes what was already crystal clear: Maud is incredibly boring and interested in rocks.

attachicon.gifrocks everywhere.png

Hmm. Makes sense, but I must digress, honestly.

I mean, that was the routine, but there was something different about each one of Pinkie's friends failing to bond with her sister. It wasn't the same routine in any sense but on paper (used a dirty dishcloth as a scarf, recited awful poetry, etc., etc.) ; and honestly, even though she was dull, I'd like to think it was obvious she was intentionally written that way.

One thing that I think made her interesting, though, is that when Pinkie's life was put in danger, Maud flew over there at Mach 10 or something and blasted a boulder into dust with her bare hooves, all to save her sister's life. So even if she was a bit boring, she still felt emotion, as hidden behind a mask as it was; and emotion leads to personality, which, she had by simply not having in the sense of caring about her sister the way she did even though being a generally apathetic pony on the outside :D

If we had learned something new about Maud in each scene, the episode simply wouldn't have had the same effect as it did; her dullness was a strong point in making this episode as good as it was by playing it up for laughs for the majority of the episode but showing how she really felt in the end :D

• Brohoof 2

That was... kind of... you know... the point.

I think what he's saying that her overall boringness was played up too much. Yes, we know that she loves rocks; yes, we know that she cares for her sister, but you don't have to keep reminding us of those things in every other scene. I think the humor with Maud Pie hit its lowest point when she was "peeling" apples for Applejack. At that point, I couldn't tell if she was a pony or a machine, and the joke wasn't even that funny. There were a few very funny moments such as when Maud hurled that huge boulder to RD's surprise, but overall, the episode, as well as Maud Pie, was just boring for the most part.

The story, on the other hand, was very well-done. The pacing felt just about right, and the conflict, while small, kept me invested and wondering what was going to happen next, and there was no need to throw in a giant monster, either. We could've done without Twilight's monologues as well, but they weren't too distracting, so they can be forgiven.

Hmmm...I wonder what would happen if the new writer for this episode and Dave Polsky teamed up. Also, does anyone find it strange that we've gotten two sibling episodes in a row with a third one coming up in "For whom the Sweetie Bell Tolls"?

I don't see any flaws with this episode.

Only one I can think of is the pacing was a bit slow at time. I think there was some animation glitch with Twilight's horn if I remember correctly.

It's just nitpicking. Basically, a flawless episode!

For the first time I went with lack of journal entry/moral. Being such a different experience from anything else I think it definitely deserved one. I also felt the episode implied that two ponies/people will eventually become friends over something, which isn't a bad thing, but maybe isn't necessarily true.

Don't get me wrong, though. If none was an option I probably would have gone with that. :)

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 1

Except that it wasn't done well.  So much time is spent focusing on Maud that we end up being bored with her.  If the point was to show a character that is a stark contrast with Pinkie and has trouble bonding with her friends, the same thing could have been accomplished with this character:

img-2408558-1-octavia__mlp_fim_by_atomic

She is a fan favorite that many speculate is a sister of Pinkie Pie, and her fannon personality could easily prevent her from bonding with Pinkie's friends.

I actually agree with the theory and this episode further proved the point because we didnt see the other sisters in the episode. I think Octavia looks like "Inkie" Pie. Yes their coat don't look identical,but I think that her coat and mane got darker because she dyed them or maturity reasons

• Awkward silence.

attachicon.gifrocks everywhere.png

We did learn a little about Maud in all those scenes though.

Twilight: She likes poetry, and she, like Pinkie, can't pick up on social cues.

Fluttershy: She has zero interest in animals.

Rarity: Has little to no fashion sense, or just likes dirt.

AJ: She is horrible in the kitchen contrary to her sister.

RD: She has ridiculous super strength, and doesn't have any interest in winning.

Fluttershy's and AJ's don't bring much to the table admittedly, but there was a definite point to all those scenes. 

You may find Maud boring, but I found her personality refreshing and interesting. She stands out by being hilariously emotionless, yet loving her hyperactive, sensitive sister and still being a genuinely good pers-er....pony. I would like to see her return in the future, but I'm not too sure they can do a whole lot with her.

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 3

For the first time I went with lack of journal entry/moral. Being such a different experience from anything else I think it definitely deserved one. I also felt the episode implied that two ponies/people will eventually become friends over something, which isn't a bad thing, but maybe isn't necessarily true.

Don't get me wrong, though. If none was an option I probably would have gone with that. :)

I agree, a moral might have been helpful with the episode's resolution.

• Brohoof 1

Rarity: Has little to no fashion sense, or just likes dirt.

I dunno, that pattern on the rag did go pretty nicely with her coat as Rarity mentioned. Despite it being dirt. Which was really more of the problem with it.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

img-2408558-1-octavia__mlp_fim_by_atomic

That was confirmed false by their interaction in The Best Night Ever. 

I dunno, that pattern on the rag did go pretty nicely with her coat as Rarity mentioned. Despite it being dirt. Which was really more of the problem with it.  ;)

Why'd you have to soil my statement?...........I couldn't resist.

• Brohoof 1

Maud Pie was so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ2j8yxu-rc&feature=player_detailpage

(in monotone voice) You are just such a conformist why can't you see the deep phycological meaning behind my actions. I don't need to conform to your idea of perfect.

But as for the episode, I can't really find a fault in it. The episode was fun, Maud was a perfect Daria, and they became "united" over their only real connection pinkie pie.

The episode was incredible! There were no flaws! Except for one thing:

WHY DIDN'T ALICORN TWILIGHT LEAP INTO ACTION AND SAVE THE DAY?!

Maud's awesome strength was cool to see, but Twilight stood there doing nothing! She could have teleported and made a force-field to save Pinkie. Or she could have stopped the rocks with her magic. I don't know, it wasn't a huge flaw, it just bugged me.

I have literally no problems with this episode. And given how season 4 episodes have been lately, it's about time I can actually say that.

Maud was awesome, the interaction was awesome, the jokes were awesome... I loved everything about this episode.

If I had to choose SOMETHING, though, I'd complain about the lack of a monotone musical number from Maud. Anyone else think that would've been perfect?

Forlong stole my Nostalgia Critic song drop!

That's what I do.  Steal other people's ideas and call them my own.

Hmm. Makes sense, but I must digress, honestly.

I mean, that was the routine, but there was something different about each one of Pinkie's friends failing to bond with her sister. It wasn't the same routine in any sense but on paper (used a dirty dishcloth as a scarf, recited awful poetry, etc., etc.) ; and honestly, even though she was dull, I'd like to think it was obvious she was intentionally written that way.

One thing that I think made her interesting, though, is that when Pinkie's life was put in danger, Maud flew over there at Mach 10 or something and blasted a boulder into dust with her bare hooves, all to save her sister's life. So even if she was a bit boring, she still felt emotion, as hidden behind a mask as it was; and emotion leads to personality, which, she had by simply not having in the sense of caring about her sister the way she did even though being a generally apathetic pony on the outside :D

If we had learned something new about Maud in each scene, the episode simply wouldn't have had the same effect as it did; her dullness was a strong point in making this episode as good as it was by playing it up for laughs for the majority of the episode but showing how she really felt in the end :D

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I actually agree with the theory and this episode further proved the point because we didnt see the other sisters in the episode. I think Octavia looks like "Inkie" Pie. Yes their coat don't look identical,but I think that her coat and mane got darker because she dyed them or maturity reasons

Actually, some hair colors do darken over time.  It doesn't have to be a die job.

That was confirmed false by their interaction in The Best Night Ever.

Not really.  Flash's actions in Three's a Crowd don't prove or disprove anything.

The episode was incredible! There were no flaws! Except for one thing:

WHY DIDN'T ALICORN TWILIGHT LEAP INTO ACTION AND SAVE THE DAY?!

Maud's awesome strength was cool to see, but Twilight stood there doing nothing! She could have teleported and made a force-field to save Pinkie. Or she could have stopped the rocks with her magic. I don't know, it wasn't a huge flaw, it just bugged me.

Same reason Miss Flies-at-Mach-10, Element of Loyalty didn't.

03ad13d93a38e1cf087f3a0b249faf92.jpg

• Brohoof 4