Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pick a Flaw - S4E18 Maud Pie

Doctor XFizzle

72 users have voted

1. 1. What is your TOP complaint/dislike from today's episode?

• Pinkie Pie focus
    • Mane Six's interactions with Maud
    • Maud Pie herself
    • Boring episode
    • Pinkie's attempt to friend everyone together
    • The ending
    • Lack of proper journal entry/moral kinda
    • Other (explain)

I found Pinkie Pie's antics to be a little irritating. I suspect this was because she was on the periphery so they amped it up.

Hardly much of a slight against the episode.

There was nothing wrong with this episode in particular and I think it was one of the best so far in the season. I voted "Other" because the only complaint I have about this episode is that Pinkie's other sister wasn't introduced. It would have been nice to see both Maud and the other sister so I can get an idea of how both of Pinkie Pie's sisters are like rather than simply assuming both are the same.

I voted Other. I really wanted to see what her cutie mark would have been...though I'm thinking it would've been a rock...

AVGN: Yeah, I got a rock, just like Charlie Brown. That sums the whole thing up!

"Being a huge rock fan myself"

My only complaint here is that Maud have a weird obsession over sandstone. They only show sandstone in this episode, along with what looks like quartz on Rarity's hat. It was such a great occasion to show that there are interesting stuff on the ground, like fossils or rare minerals... Another thing they could have added to the character, is that she would always look at the ground, that's what I do actually.

But well, still my favorite episode so far, looks like a great caricature of my passion. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

My only complaint here is that Maud have a weird obsession over sandstone. They only show sandstone in this episode, along with what looks like quartz on Rarity's hat. It was such a great occasion to show that there are interesting stuff on the ground, like fossils or rare minerals... Another thing they could have added to the character, is that she would always look at the ground, that's what I do actually.

It would've also been cool for her to point out how the rocks show the history of the land; they did a decent job at showing how she could be interested by rocks, but still. Ponyville's landscape seems very river-shaped and I suspect Applejack has such nice farmland via past sediment deposits from the mountains circling the location.

/dangit Maud why have you got me so geology-focused

• Brohoof 3

Other: there were too many squees. I get annoyed when fans overuse it, now the show is doing it too? The squees are so awesome because they're rare.

Honestly after watching the episode 5 times today, I can't really find a major flaw with this episode. This is the 1st time that this has ever happened to me. Normally in an MLP episode, there is always 1 flaw that I can point out no matter how big or small. Yet, this ep was written perfectly imo.

It certainly deserves a 10/10 in my eyes. The pacing was perfect, the moral was surprisingly mature, and Maud was just hilarious. If you didn't find her funny, then you obviously don't get deadpan humor which tbh not a lot of people do. This type of comedy is unique and not often seen in kids shows, so to see the MLP staff pull it off perfectly I applaud them for it.

But... if I had to say 1 thing about the episode, it's that I wished that we got to see the entire Pie family when Pinkie and Maud made it to the farm. This however in no way detracts from the episode and is just nitpicking in my opinion. 

Oh yeah, I wish they had made more rock puns though :lol:. The only 1 that comes to mind was the one that RD made comparing Maud to Igneous.

1. Her cutie mark was never shown.

2. I thought the ending would be completely different. I feel they missed an opportunity.

1. Her cutie mark was never shown.

2. I thought the ending would be completely different. I feel they missed an opportunity.

Actually, it was shown, but it was a blink-and-you-miss-it moment. It's Tom.

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 2

Actually, it was shown, but it was a blink-and-you-miss-it moment. It's Tom.

I guess I stand corrected on that.

However, it should have been a bit more... unique.

I liked the episode for some odd reason. However, the only problem with the episode that I saw was it felt a bit boring to me. Sure, it strays away from the usual episode routine but I'm not usually bored with episodes. A minor flaw, nothing too major.

I went with "other" as my choice, because the episode's biggest flaw (beyond the "YMMV" dryness of the humor) is how the episode wants you to laugh and criticize you for doing so. Throughout, the scenes, communication, and awkwardness of everything causes you to want to laugh. At the same time and later on, the writing and script of Maud Pie switches it around and ridicules you for it. Maud Pie would've been better if the scenes weren't played for laughs and instead focused on a more neutral, somewhat serious side in response to the awkwardness and miscommunication.

Maud Pie would've been better if the scenes weren't played for laughs and instead focused on a more neutral, somewhat serious side in response to the awkwardness and miscommunication.

Except then it would've just been boring.

This is a TV-Y show, you know.

I went with "other" as my choice, because the episode's biggest flaw (beyond the "YMMV" dryness of the humor) is how the episode wants you to laugh and criticize you for doing so. Throughout, the scenes, communication, and awkwardness of everything causes you to want to laugh. At the same time and later on, the writing and script of Maud Pie switches it around and ridicules you for it. Maud Pie would've been better if the scenes weren't played for laughs and instead focused on a more neutral, somewhat serious side in response to the awkwardness and miscommunication.

Ridicules you for laughing? What!? Can you explain how you feel like it ridicules the viewer for laughing? Because I didn't see that at all.

Edited by DryColt84

This is a TV-Y show, you know.

For the most part, "TV-Y" is about how to approach a topic without being lewd, vulgar, violent, or graphic about it. Addressing Maud's attitude and psyche will likely not affect it as long as the content itself is suitable for children.

Can you explain how you feel like it ridicules the viewer for laughing? Because I didn't see that at all.

In the scenes where her matter-of-fact deadpan is a big factor, the way she and the others respond to each other is played to make you laugh. However, because she's actually serious and the Remane Five are uncomfortable around her, you're supposed to feel for her and question yourself why you laughed, as well.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

For the most part, "TV-Y" is about how to approach a topic without being lewd, vulgar, violent, or graphic about it. Addressing Maud's attitude and psyche will likely not affect it as long as the content itself is suitable for children.

In the scenes where her matter-of-fact deadpan is a big factor, the way she and the others respond to each other is played to make you laugh. However, because she's actually serious and the Remane Five are uncomfortable around her, you're supposed to feel for her and question yourself why you laughed, as well.

Yea Maud is an ultra-serious deadpan pony, I knew that from the start, but I also knew she wasn't mean, and I didn't judge her immediately like the Mane 6 did. When I was laughing at her it wasn't in a mean-spirited way, and I wasn't uncomfortable like the Mane 6, so why would I feel ridiculed by the resolution? If emotionally feeling for someone while laughing at their quirks and flaws is the problem here, the whole show should be condemned. 

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 2

I loved this episode. I haven't watched MLP in 3 weeks. I was originally going to watch Rarity Takes Manehattan, but it's no where to be found. This episode hits near home to me. Because I don't have a great family. I know people are disappointed by Maud and her flat emotions, but it works for these reasons.

Pinkie seemed to be the only happy one in the family and Maud was unique and stood out from the others. It's a realistic portrayal of people. Because Maud was the issue, she didn't hate anyone, she simply doesn't show emotion. I loved it when Maud saved her younger sister and actually had concern and emotion being displayed. Hugged Pinkie with her head over her neck, which was cute.

I honestly wish I had an older brother or sister like Maud. I'm the oldest out of my siblings and it sucks. I know it's a cartoon, but this episode made me happy.

So why is that a bad thing? It's making you think more deeply about something. I would generally consider that a plus.