music Let's discuss concerts

FatalRain

Have you ever been to a concert? 

If so, who was it for?

Who do you hope to see in concert before you die?

I've only been to one concert so far (even though i'm 22) 

I either never have money when the bands I like come around, or I don't know they've come around ;a;

The concert I went to was for In This Moment, but they were only opening for Stone Sour

I'd really like to see AFI in concert since they were my favorite band for years (I still like them, they're just not my favorite)

I was at a Hilary Duff concert when she was playing at the fair near me. I was 14 and was going with a group.

I've also been to Hell's Kitchen a few times to see my cousin (and a few indie bands) play.

I honestly do not like the atmosphere of a live concert. I'm there for the music but I get to deal with people. I don't like live music either because I can hear the audience on top of the fact that the live version of the music is different than the studio version that I'm used to hearing.

So you could say I'm not a fan of live music or concerts period. I'll probably never go to one again if I can help it.

• Brohoof 1

I was at a Hilary Duff concert when she was playing at the fair near me. I was 14 and was going with a group.

I've also been to Hell's Kitchen a few times to see my cousin (and a few indie bands) play.

I honestly do not like the atmosphere of a live concert. I'm there for the music but I get to deal with people. I don't like live music either because I can hear the audience on top of the fact that the live version of the music is different than the studio version that I'm used to hearing.

So you could say I'm not a fan of live music or concerts period. I'll probably never go to one again if I can help it.

I like concerts because I get to see what the band looks like while playing their instruments, not to mention the idea of being near them is somewhat thrilling

When bands sound completely different in concert than on their album, I sort of consider them to be hacks

if you can't make yourself sound as good live as on the album, you've gotta be using a lot of editing

However, I will say one thing

I HATE crowds

so that can make concerts somewhat unbearable to me ^^'

I like concerts because I get to see what the band looks like while playing their instruments, not to mention the idea of being near them is somewhat thrilling

When bands sound completely different in concert than on their album, I sort of consider them to be hacks

if you can't make yourself sound as good live as on the album, you've gotta be using a lot of editing

However, I will say one thing

I HATE crowds

so that can make concerts somewhat unbearable to me ^^'

You can get the same effect watching music videos too though. :P

But a lot of bands do sound very different in studio than they do live. I wouldn't consider it a bad thing really. It doesn't mean they are better or worse, just that they are trying to achieve a particular sound that apparently they can't reach with live performances. This is especially true when they use a lot of layered voices or synthesized sounds that can't be easily replicated on a stage.

To me, it doesn't matter if they can play it live or not. All I care about is if it sounds good. How it's made, whether it's possible to do live in the exact same way or even at all...all irrelevant.

Edited by Discordian

You can get the same effect watching music videos too though. :P

But a lot of bands do sound very different in studio than they do live. I wouldn't consider it a bad thing really. It doesn't mean they are better or worse, just that they are trying to achieve a particular sound that apparently they can't reach with live performances. This is especially true when they use a lot of layered voices or synthesized sounds that can't be easily replicated on a stage.

To me, it doesn't matter if they can play it live or not. All I care about is if it sounds good. How it's made, whether it's possible to do live in the exact same way or even at all...all irrelevant.

Not quite

Music videos are staged for one

and live videos tend to all sound terrible

To me, there's nothing like seeing it in person

it's really exciting

I can understand with musicians that are trying to make electronic music

those kinds of musicians aren't really meant to play live

but when it comes to bands that are supposed to be playing their instruments or vocalists that are supposed to sing well

it's disappointing when they can't really do it

to me, it's almost the same thing as an "artist" tracing someone else's work and saying it's theirs

or all the photoshopping they do of models and such for magazines

I'll never understand the idea that because they are playing instruments like guitars or drums that this means they aren't doing something special to make the sounds regardless. They are producing music, the live performance part of it is almost completely irrelevant. It just happens to be a big part of the whole culture. Music in and of itself doesn't require an audience or the ability to play live...just the knowledge to create said music.

So when a band makes something that wouldn't sound the same live because it's impossible it's the same thing as making art that's not meant to be seen before it's completed digitally.

I've seen Basement Jaxx, Clean Bandit and Chase & Status live and all of them are amazing groups. I love the crowds and the environments of concerts/ live shows which is why I go to them.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not a big concert-going type of guy, but I went to a Yanni concert before (if you don't know what he is.....he is a New Age composer, which I am really fond of).

• Brohoof 1

I've seen a Queen tribute band twice, and that was kinda fun at the time but wouldn't go again or to any 'Rock' concert 

I'd want to see Modified Toy Orchestra live, Chic and maybe the odd DJ or so but I'm not really keen or large crowds  and the pushing and shoving etc

I'm not a big concert-going type of guy, but I went to a Yanni concert before (if you don't know what he is.....he is a New Age composer, which I am really fond of).

Wow I thought I was like pretty much the only guy in the whole world who wasn't that into the whole concerts thing :)

• Brohoof 1

I've been to quite a lot, so I might as well list them in order.

Bear with me, folks :3

Iron Maiden - ft. Trivium

Trivium

Muse - ft. Kasabian

Paramore

Trivium - ft. Rise To Remain & The Haunted

Slipknot (The next day, in the UK xD) - ft. Machinehead & Children Of Bodom

Metallica - (Festival) ft. Avenged Sevenfold, Alice in Chains & Mastodon

Muse

Paramore - ft. Paper Route & You Me At Six

Iron Maiden

Thirty Seconds To Mars - ft. Street Drum Corps

Rage Against The Machine - ft. The Gallows

Avenged Sevenfold

Rammstein

Muse

All were absolutely amazing :D

I...I think that's it...? O.o

Edited by IcyHaze
  • Brohoof 1

I've been to quite a lot, so I might as well list them in order.

Bear with me, folks :3

Iron Maiden - ft. Trivium

Trivium

Muse - ft. Kasabian

Paramore

Trivium - ft. Rise To Remain & The Haunted

Slipknot (The next day, in the UK xD) - ft. Machinehead & Children Of Bodom

Metallica - (Festival) ft. Avenged Sevenfold, Alice in Chains & Mastodon

Muse

Paramore - ft. Paper Route & You Me At Six

Iron Maiden

Thirty Seconds To Mars - ft. Street Drum Corps

Rage Against The Machine - ft. The Gallows

Avenged Sevenfold

Rammstein

All were absolutely amazing :D

I...I think that's it...? O.o

Wow, that's a lot! I'm kinda jealous :P

Is Matthew Bellamy's voice as lovely live? 

Wow, that's a lot! I'm kinda jealous :P

Is Matthew Bellamy's voice as lovely live? 

It is, if not better sometimes :3 Absolutely amazing live band

FUCK I forgot to add Muse the third time >.> xD gotta edit my post now!

• Brohoof 1

I went to a Breaking Benjamin concert when they were still alive, so that is what I call an achievement. :P

That is pretty cool

I mean, they're not a band I adore, but to see a band before they broke up is quite an achievement~

• Brohoof 1

I've seen a lot of bands perform live before.

Some of the more notable concerts I've been to are

• Avenged Sevenfold
  • Katy Perry
  • Adam Lambert

I can't wait until the end of May this year. I'll get to see one of my favorite musical groups (Steam Powered Giraffe) live at an anime convention I'm going to.

Edited by Mikami

I've seen a lot of bands perform live before.

Some of the more notable concerts I've been to are

• Avenged Sevenfold
  • Katy Perry
  • Adam Lambert

I can't wait until the end of May this year. I'll get to see one of my favorite musical groups (Steam Powered Giraffe) live at an anime convention I'm going to.

Those 3 really don't go together hahaha

but that's pretty awesome

I'm surprised they're playing at an anime convention  :blink: