Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Equestria Including The Alicorns Surivive This?

GXPBlast

I think one of the important things to note is that the laws that underlie the universe of Equestria Girls is most likely completely alien to the ones that direct our own, since magic is a thing and it can move the celestial bodies around. Hell, they may not even have laws of physics beyond the obvious gravity and maybe electromagnetism, for all we know. Maybe magic is some sort of super glue that makes everything harmonious. Stars might not even be able to go supernova. The universe of Equestria won't operate in the same way as ours, for sure.

• Brohoof 1

I think one of the important things to note is that the laws that underlie the universe of Equestria Girls is most likely completely alien to the ones that direct our own, since magic is a thing and it can move the celestial bodies around. Hell, they may not even have laws of physics beyond the obvious gravity and maybe electromagnetism, for all we know. Maybe magic is some sort of super glue that makes everything harmonious. Stars might not even be able to go supernova. The universe of Equestria won't operate in the same way as ours, for sure.

Sure, I agree with all of that. In fact, didn't 4 stars cross the sky and touch the moon to release Nightmare Moon in the pilot? It's pretty clear stars in the show aren't the same as in real life.

Despite that, the question is what would happen if it were possible.

• Brohoof 1

Sure, I agree with all of that. In fact, didn't 4 stars cross the sky and touch the moon to release Nightmare Moon in the pilot? It's pretty clear stars in the show aren't the same as in real life.

Despite that, the question is what would happen if it were possible.

This exactly. Personally, I believe the ponies live in a pocket universe bubble within another universe with different laws of physics (As it allows magic and Discords abilities) than our own. the stars themselves probably are just for show and are meant to beautify the sky for the ponies.

But this thread is a what if scenario and disregards any pocket universe (the pony world is all there is) theory.

This exactly. Personally, I believe the ponies live in a pocket universe bubble within another universe with different laws of physics (As it allows magic and Discords abilities) than our own. the stars themselves probably are just for show and are meant to beautify the sky for the ponies.

But this thread is a what if scenario and disregards any pocket universe (the pony world is all there is) theory.

I actually believe that the stars are not as big as they seem. I believe that the collided with the moon and blah blah blah Science Science Science Worm hole!

Actually, the OP only used a solar flare as an example of what kind of damage the event of a supernova exploding could do to Equestria. A supernova anywhere nearby (a few light years) would utterly annihilate the planet, I don't care how strong you think pony magic can be.

A more useful approach would be to ask what would happen if Equestria experienced a gamma-ray burst, which could conceivably be created by a supernova, and could conceivably extend far enough out from the supernova itself to hit the planet. In fact, it's exactly what some scientist fear could happen in real life. (The chances of it happening are astronomically small, luckily.)

In that case, it could be possible for the ponies to survive.

Edited by SolarFox

(edited)

Actually, the OP only used a solar flare as an example of what kind of damage the event of a supernova exploding could do to Equestria. A supernova anywhere nearby (a few light years) would utterly annihilate the planet, I don't care how strong you think pony magic can be.

A more useful approach would be to ask what would happen if Equestria experienced a gamma-ray burst, which could conceivably be created by a supernova, and could conceivably extend far enough out from the supernova itself to hit the planet. In fact, it's exactly what some scientist fear could happen in real life. (The chances of it happening are astronomically small, luckily.)

No what I said is in the movie "the solar flare" was completely wrong scientifically as our sun does not have the ability to do what is shown in the video until is swallows up our planet billions of years from now when it becomes a red giant. What I am trying to put together is the damage that occurs in the video I posted happening to the ponies planet itself. Basically a close enough supernova that could burn a planet to a crisp or is some cases vaporize it.

Edited by FurzVette

No what I said is in the movie "the solar flare" was completely wrong scientifically as our sun does not have the ability to do what is sown in the video until is swallows up our planet billions of years from now when it becomes a red giant. What I am trying to put together is the damage that occurs in the video I posted happened to equestria. Basically a close enough supernova that could burn a planet to a crisp or is some cases vaporize it.

Okay, I understand better now. In that case... no. Pony magic vs supernova? Supernova wins.

In that case, it could be possible for the ponies to survive.

The chances of a super nova happening in the Equus universe is probably 1/3 chance of happening

1. Supernova
  2. Implosion (creating a black hole)
  3. Nothing....

There is nothing made of matter that would be able to stop solar plasma. Any solid would instantly sublimate and then ionize into plasma its self. If there were 1cm^3 of star matter from the core if the sun on earth, everything would burn. But as you said, a solar flare would never EVER be able to do this, and even this destruction is not comparable to a supernova. After a supernova, there would be no solar system left.

Edit: fixed a letter

The chances of a super nova happening in the Equus universe is probably 1/3 chance of happening

• Supernova
  • Implosion (creating a black hole)
  • Nothing....

I am sorry, but that is not how statistics work. The fact that there is only three outcomes does not mean that any one of those outcomes has a 1/3 chance of occurring. With that logic I could say I have a fifty percent chance of winning the lottery on every card, either 1:I win or 2: I don't.

The best way to calculate the probability of a supernova happening in the vicinity of Equestria, would be through observing stars in different stages of their life time, and seeing how often different kinds of stars go supernova. Then, using that observational data, one can look at what stage close stars are in, and using some fancy mathematical magic, calculate a probability that any one of those stars will die.

Edited by Vladimir Zharkov

Uh...it's arguable.

I mean, the ponies have magic.

But my argument is, Celestia controls the sun...couldn't she do anything about this more than anyone?

I mean she is Sun-Butt!

Celestia doesn't control the sun, she just raises it. Unicorns did that WAY back then (although it took like 10 to do it). I think her cutie mark means that she can raise the sun on her own. If Celestia controlled the sun, then that would mean Luna can control the moon and she could have just done something to free herself when she was NMM.

Also, I don't think anypony could survive the heat of the sun.

Edited by Shenron00

• 1 month later...
(edited)
Or they could just try and use magic to revert the star/sun to a younger state giving the ponies a couple million years to find a way to save Equus. But that would probably take most of the planet's unicorn and alicorn population plus probably the use of the alicorn amulet.

Also thats if they knew what was coming and if the had knowledge of outside their home planet and mastered star travel and colonizing other planets. This would be sudden and they would have little to no time to react.

Edited by GXPBlast

I dont think this could happen on Equestria, since its all controlled by Celestia and Luna. Unless some kind of villian kidnapps Celestia and Luna, and then extracts their powers and makes some kind of Armagedon. If that ever happens, I think that no one would survive, neither the villian.