Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorns are the gods of Equestria

GamerLuna7

Yo Everypony,is it just me or do Alicorns seem to be like the gods of Equestria. Here are some of the similarities. Well first they are both very powerful ,Alicorns can do magic as well as fly. They have a important task,Celestia has to keep the sun rising,Luna the moon and in real life religions gods usually created the world. Also Celestia created Equestria that was perviously ruled by Discord ,thus creating peace and kind of a new world.They both are worshipped ,rember Nightmare Night.

• Brohoof 2

I think that they are more like Demi-Gods. If anything Discord would be closer to a god since he can manipulate reality. I think that there are higher powers in the MLP universe, the great Faust who created the world and who watches over everything even now that she has retreated to a higher plane of existence.

Anyways Celestia and Luna may be powerful but they didn't create the world or even control the Sun and Moon from the beginning, remember that the Unicorns used to do it. 

• Brohoof 6

Alicorn = Demigod Tier

Unicorn = Legendary Tier

Pegasi = Top Tier

That's what I think about this. But I'm pretty sure alicorns aren't gods. But close.

Looking at this from an Ah! My Goddess stand-point (The manga, not the anime). I would say that the alicorns are 2nd class Gods. Discord and the alikes would be 1st class.

Reference aside, they are minor Gods.

I think of them more as spirits rather than gods or demi-gods. The spirits of day and night and the spirit of love.

But I don't think all spirits are alicorns, like Discord was the spirit of chaos. If a spirit is powerful and is worshiped as such, then I think it could be considered a "god." The alicorns we know of don't seem to be worshiped as gods.

Or they could be aliens, like in G2.

Nah, just kidding. I don't quite understand what falls under the definition of "god". Alicorns are powerful, nearly non-aging creatures, yes, and all other sane creatures understand that, but they don't worship alicorns for being alicorns.

But, a certain amulet exists, by the name of alicorn amulet, and this fact, in conjuction with alicorns' powers, kinda makes them, er, godish, I guess.

TL;DR: Define "god".

Edited by Sepraxian

I think about them as about the Olympian pantheon (Greek mythology, the second generation of gods, Zeus and friends).

Powerful, ageless, very similar to regular humans, but noone is actually sure how much they are needed in order for the world to work. Also, they loved to troll common people.

The similarities are huge to Alicorns, but then again that might just be me.

• Brohoof 2

I agree that reminds me

Discord = Titan

Luna and Celestia = Olympians.

Cadance = Aphrodite or Aurora or a demi-god?

Lol just some randomness spewed from my mind.

Not randomness, I actually thought about that too. Discord fits the description of Titan quite well. Luna and Celestia, well, let's face it, they are paragon Olympians and they originally defeated the last Titan who ruled over the world (Equestria) together. And as Olympians they love to have fun with mortals. And fun there was and Cadence was born. Again, paragon demi-god, mixing the attributes of "gods" and regular ponies.

• Brohoof 1

I've always wondered about this. Specifically, if there's two different types of Alicorns, because I get the impression that Cadence isn't at the same "level" as Celestia and Luna, even though they all appear as Alicorns. A physical example is her mane - It's like the mane of a regular pony, while Celestia and Luna have those aural-like manes.

Celestia and Luna are definitely gods, in my opinion. Along with Discord.

However, the nature of Cadence is puzzling to me. A demi-god? A mortal breed of Alicorn? I honestly have no idea.

Edited by StratoPegasus

I've always qualified the Royal Sisters as 'higher beings', sort of like the elves in Lord of the Rings. Powerful, unaging, but certainly not omnipotent. Celestia's defeat at the hands (hooves? horn?) of Chrysalis proved that much, and Luna's imprisonment within her own realm of magic. Yes, the whole 'stars will aid in her escape' bit could easily be translated into her casting a spell just before her banishment was complete, but I refuse to believe that it only took a millennium to come into effect.

No, Celestia and Luna are demi-god's. Powerful, but killable, and bound by certain laws of the universe that even their great magic can't bend. Cadence is a whole other theory in herself, as she was canonly shown as a teenager/young adult when she babysat Twilight. Personally, unlike the Sisters, I think Cadence is a mortal Alicorn and is only a princess because she has a horn and wings. It's the principle of the thing that put the tiara on her head. And also, if she were immortal, and she knew that she was going to live forever, she's just setting herself up for heartbreak by being with Shining Armor.

Discord, on the other end, is a god. He can warp reality as he pleases and, in my personal fanon, is the reason why there are only three Alicorn's left in the world (*cough* genocide *cough*). To me, Discord is too in-tuned with his element to be allowed to roam around. So setting him in stone was very intelligent. 

Also Celestia did not 'create' Equestria, she unified it under her rule after Discord's reign of chaos. Remember that it had already been established via the Heaths Warming Eve's play. Nightmare Moon isn't worshiped on Nightmare Night, per se, her image is invoked because she is the ultimate scary story and the perfect mascot. Remember, Halloween was originally a harvest festival, so we have to look at the holiday in an evolutionary point of view.

But, yeah, I went and got all ranty~ 

• Brohoof 2

alicorns would probably be below like discord and princess celestia, overall they would be second class as they dont have the capabilities like some

Princess Celestia is an Alicorn. Alicorns have both pagasi wings and unicorn horns and magic. Celestia, Luna, and Cadence are all Alicorns.

I honestly think they are just a species of pony, that after they defeated Discord were praised for their actions and were made the rulers of Equestria.  I also don't think they are immortal, they live for thousands of years, because they are closer to magic then the other species of ponies.  

• Brohoof 1

Lauren Faust has literally said that Celestia and Luna are not gods or deities. They're royalty, they appear to have expanded life spans, but that's about it.

• Brohoof 2

Gods? Hmm. I guess that depends on how you define a god. If it's a being who is all-knowing, all-powerful and will never die, I would say no. If its a being who simply exists on a higher plane and lives longer than its subjects, I say yes, and that's more of a demigod than anything else.

My own theory about the alicorns is that (1) they're born and nopony can be "made" into one, (2) they live several thousand years, (3) during that time they can be killed but they always come back, and (4) the only alicorns in the world are Celestia's family line, which is obviously growing thin.

Edited by TailsAlone

• 1 year later...

It's true that they might often seem to be qualified for such praise, but i disagree.

Alicorns, for all they are, can take damage (therefore it stands to reason that they are, at least in that sense, mortal). Their magic, compared to unicorns, for instance, is very powerful, but is just another form of magic - it can be taken (as Tirek did), and it can be overwhelmed (like Chrysalis did). Also, unicorns have been known to be capable of controlling the day/night cycle as well as seasons.

They are unique, but i wouldn't consider them true deities. 

They are not gods,i certainly don't see the citizens of Equestria praying to Celestia/Luna/Twilight/Cadance or performing other religious practices towards them,they are treated as they are called: Princesses.  :maud:

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 1

They aren't.

The 'Tree of Harmony' might be, Celestia admits herself its power is greater than theirs and it had the magic to defeat Discord. The fact it bares the marks of the sisters and Twilight signifies it has some influence over there fate.

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

They aren't.

The 'Tree of Harmony' might be, Celestia admits herself its power is greater than theirs and it had the magic to defeat Discord. The fact it bares the marks of the sisters and Twilight signifies it has some influence over there fate.

Not to mention despite Tirek absorbing every pony and Discord's magic, the tree of harmony just simply gave the girls Rainbow Power and they proceeded to stomp Tirek, thus validating my belief that the tree of harmony is the most powerful thing in the show right now.

Yo Everypony,is it just me or do Alicorns seem to be like the gods of Equestria. Here are some of the similarities. Well first they are both very powerful ,Alicorns can do magic as well as fly. They have a important task,Celestia has to keep the sun rising,Luna the moon and in real life religions gods usually created the world. Also Celestia created Equestria that was perviously ruled by Discord ,thus creating peace and kind of a new world.They both are worshipped ,rember Nightmare Night.

When I started the series I had that same assumption however it is wrong. Well that is not entirely true there is something devine in the religious sense about them but they share more in common with another type of being than a god.

I see them as similar to the Pharaoh in the sense that while they represent divinity they are not the true gods of the land.

The Pharoh as you may or may not know was not only treated as rulers but as representatives of the sun god Ra and was believed to share the Deities power. The ponies of Equestria seem to have this reasoning too which is why they can both swear by her name like a god but still treat them as royalty.

Edited by Buck Testa

• 8 years later...