S04:E19 - For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils  

263 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Um there was a reason Rarity over shadowed Sweetie Belle's big moment with her perfect dresses. Rarity herself did noting actually wrong, but From sweeties point of view it was her sister getting all the attention again! Kind of like Luna and Celestia. its a case of Unintentional harm and misreading intentions. like kids do!

Why do people think I'm saying that Rarity was in the wrong or doin wrong!!!

Rarity did nothing wrong!

What I am saying is exactly what y'all are saying.

Ever since SHS and in other Sweetie Bell episodes I could see this rivalry between her and Rarity. They don't have this cozy little sisterly equality like Applebloom and Apple Jack.

And thats why I like Rarity and Sweetie Bell more then AJ/AB

The commonality of these two sisters is their desire to be independent, even from one another. Sometimes you have to read between the lines but its there.

That's been my whole point in my connection of both these episodes.

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 2

So this Episode Didn't disappoint. We got to see more of My Favourite CMC and my 2nd Favourite pony and Luna Once again in her dream stalker mode. 

The Dream sequence was pretty amazing although Rarity mental breakdown was much more disturbing than I could  ever imagine  and that only made the tension even more intense as I was biting my nails hoping Rarity wouldn't open the box. I'm sure of it now Scootaloo's beginning to show more of her feminine side this season and personally I think it's awesome. 

9/10 Brilliant

At first, Sweetie Belle made me a little upset:

1.) She was late to tell Rarity of the upcoming show, thus forcing her big sister to work fast.

2.) Then she was unappreciative of Rarity since her dresses were perfect, thus stealing her thunder in the show, even though Rarity was already working her butt off, doing her best (you go Rarity!!).

3.) Then she became Diamond Tiara..a little.

But then Princess Luna happened and made the whole episode better. In the end I didn't despise Sweetie Belle at all, since she pretty much played a stereotypical little sister, jealous of her big sister getting all the "fame" and attention.

Meh... Maybe I need to rewatch it, but I can't say there was anything really spectacular about this episode. Everybody raved about how good the dream sequence looked, and I guess I didn't really see how it was any better than the average episode. That's not to say the show doesn't usually look good; quite the opposite, the show almost always looks quite fantastic. I just didn't see how this topped the average episode on some huge scale.

And then of course, everybody foams at the mouth whenever Luna is involved. xD Sure, she's cool, but praising every episode she graces with her presence is kinda silly. :P

But, as with all episodes of pony, it was still enjoyable. Now off to watch some analysis videos that will make me love the episode. :3

I liked it! It's new that Luna can...look into the future... xD But cool nonetheless! I liked the lesson learned at the end and I thought it was really sweet.

You evidently have never participated in or attended a school play. There are usually a lot of people who go to them who aren't parents of the kids in the play, and who aren't directly involved in the school. They go just because they enjoy this sort of thing. And it's generally polite to applaud enthusiastically even when the play is a disaster, because you wouldn't want to hurt the kids' feelings, would you? This is, for better or worse, how most school plays go.

Add to that the fact that Ponyville is a small village, and it's likely that live plays like this, whether put on by kids or adults, are probably one of their main forms of entertainment.

You're right, I haven't participated in or attended a school play (especially not in elementary school). I was in band throughout middle school and high school, though, and my experience with that was, to my recollection, different than what you describe. I remember the vast majority of the (relatively small) audience at my band concerts being parents and family of the band students, with maybe a few other teachers and school workers in attendance, at best. And that was what we band students expected; essentially all of the non-band students, teachers, etc. at school either couldn't have cared less about the band or disdained it, let alone anyone outside of the school. I don't even know how anyone outside of the school would have found out about our band concerts. As far as I know, they weren't advertised as a local event in the paper or anything like that (not that I would have expected them to be), just spread by word of mouth from the band itself and maybe a mention on the afternoon announcements. It's possible that the fall plays and spring musicals (the latter of which I attended and even played for in the pit orchestra one year) were a little bit of a bigger deal, but I don't really know.

I suppose I shouldn't assume that my experience with band is representative of the average or able to be extrapolated to the situation in the episode, though. Similarly, it seems a bit pointless and not particularly worthwhile or entertaining for me to go attend a play written and acted by elementary school kids whom I don't know or barely know, but again, I suppose I shouldn't assume that that stance is representative of everyone else. And you make a good point that the situation in Ponyville is probably different than ours. Ponyville might be small enough that most everyone knows the CMC to some extent, and they probably don't have easy access to much in the way of entertainment other than events like this. Plus, it appears that the play was put on at some venue other than the school gymnasium/auditorium, so it may have been a big enough deal for ponies to know about it and go to it.

If the audience gave a standing ovation to the CMC in order to be polite, wouldn't it also be polite to try to remember a couple of things about the play to talk about at the reception with the CMC afterward? I'll admit that the ponies at the reception may not have expected Sweetie Belle to push them for specific details in the way she did, but if the audience knew that they would be going to a reception with the actors in the play right after it, then shouldn't at least some of them (especially ponies like Miss Cheerilee or Granny Smith) have something to talk about in addition to the dresses? As an example, when my mom attended band concerts, she was always sure to tell me and my siblings (and even other attending parents) which songs she particularly liked, the times when she heard us playing cool parts in the music, which solos were good, etc., and I might think that some of the attendees of the play would do something similar (even if they didn't find much they actually liked about it).

I liked it! It's new that Luna can...look into the future... xD But cool nonetheless! I liked the lesson learned at the end and I thought it was really sweet.

I don't know that Luna was necessarily looking into the future so much as simply suggesting to Sweetie Belle what might happen, especially given her own experience, and Sweetie's imagination. Hence why it was so hyperbole.

I don't know that Luna was necessarily looking into the future so much as simply suggesting to Sweetie Belle what might happen, especially given her own experience, and Sweetie's imagination. Hence why it was so hyperbole.

Well I didn't mean that literally. I mean, what happened was a dream so, it's not like she was actually shown the future. As you said, it's what might happen.

:)

You're right, I haven't participated in or attended a school play (especially not in elementary school). I was in band throughout middle school and high school, though, and my experience with that was, to my recollection, different than what you describe.

(Nod) In a town not too far away from my house, there's a Village Theater center specifically for kids plays. It's a community thing, often for school-sponsored drama clubs. Usually either the well known plays like Annie, Grease and Les Miserables, or some independent plays by local writers. I doubt they do stuff written by the kids themselves - that's probably a Ponyville specialty - but I do know this community theater gets a lot of attendance.

It's not really my thing, personally, but kids' stage plays do tend to get quite a following - significantly more than band performances, mainly because they appeal to a wider audience.

I was an extra in Annie back in sixth grade, and I remember that theater (a pretty good sized one) being packed all three nights. It helped that all the lead actor kids were really, really good. (We also had a real dog, where many productions of that play use a kid in a dog suit, probably because they can't train a real dog in time.)

Edited by Pixel Stick

Meh... Maybe I need to rewatch it, but I can't say there was anything really spectacular about this episode. Everybody raved about how good the dream sequence looked, and I guess I didn't really see how it was any better than the average episode. That's not to say the show doesn't usually look good; quite the opposite, the show almost always looks quite fantastic. I just didn't see how this topped the average episode on some huge scale.

And then of course, everybody foams at the mouth whenever Luna is involved. xD Sure, she's cool, but praising every episode she graces with her presence is kinda silly. :P

But, as with all episodes of pony, it was still enjoyable. Now off to watch some analysis videos that will make me love the episode. :3

I think it is a great episode and don't care for Luna in the slightest. Maybe I can be of assistance?

Yet another CMC episode where the CMCs are not baindead morons  ^_^

But in all seriousness, this episode was quite interesting. That dream sequence seriously made me go :blink:

But overall, a really well-written and heartwarming episode. Dave Polsky is really on a roll this season.

i enjoyed this episode, it has got to be one of my new favourites. One of the best parts(i my opinion) was when Sweetie belle met Luna for real. i like to re-watch this episode so i see it quite alot.

I really enjoyed this. This episode that featured a lot of d'aaawww moments, especially when Sweetie Belle and Rarity hugged each other, and that required me to inject some adrenaline into my heart just for me to stay aliiiiiiiiivee... :P One thing that I didn't like is that I didn't get to hear Sapphire Shores' songs, which I expected to hear. Ah well, there's still a Season 5. And of course, the overkill of CMC episodes this season. Overall, I give this a 8.8/10, strong episode overall, just not perfect due to the number of CMCs this season. :D

Edited by GeometryMath Algebra
  • Brohoof 1

Perhaps you could share your reasons for liking it wif meh. :3

Not a problem.

This episode was good because it explored both Rarity and Sweetie Bell's character through the relationship

The obvious analogous nature to celestia and Luna

Also the parallels between Sweetie and Rarity: both wanting to shine, becoming distraught etc

The 5th birthday party subplot made the whole thing seem not contrived. It also succeeded in making me care about Sweetie and wanting to see her succeed (the big pitfall of episodes like this is not caring about the protag when they've done something wrong)

It had great visuals with the nightmare sequence.

It was extremely well paced

The performances by Tabitha and Claire were great

It had good gags (Rarity almost saying bitch)

It was serious when it needed to be, lighthearted when it could be

It built on Rarity's character development from Sisterhooves, but it did not turn her into an infinitely understanding saint as she still got (rightfully) annoyed with Sweetie towards the end.

And it characterized Sweetie more than any prior episode. before she was basically Gidget (character played by Sally Fields).

• Brohoof 3

I don't know why, but I'm not super sold on this one.  I didn't hate it or anything, but just... something I can't put my finger on. 

Logically, there are a lot of things to like.  I love the return of Dream Walker Luna, I love that Sweetie Belle gets major focus for the first time in eons, and I love the fact that, yet again, this is a season 4 episode where Rarity comes off smelling like roses. (And demonstrates her generosity.  Again.)  Seriously, it's like this season is one giant apology for season 3.  Which I don't mind, of course...

The one thing I can put my finger on is I didn't really like seeing Sweetie Belle act like a self centered brat for a good chunk of the episode.  Yeah, I get that she's a kid and prone to that kind of behaviour, but still...

But I don;t know. I mean, all in all it wasn't a *bad* episode, I just wasn't as wowed as I was hoping to be. 

"Though the dawn may be coming soon,  there may still be some time. Fly me away to the bright side of the moon, meet me on the other side"

LOL, I wonder how many of you know what that's from.  Hint - it's kind of old (older than me - I'm 25). As a little kid it used to creep me out A LOT. When I woke up today I randomly thought about it and that it kind of relates to Luna and her dream-walking.

http://youtu.be/fMyCwDSQPzE

Edited by steve88

finally got around to watching this episode last night. And I thought it was really good. I can only say that Sweetie Belle was acting like a total brat for a few minutes, but at least it was well resolved. Also, I think this added a new dimension of character dynamic between Sweetie Belle and Rarity as well as some interesting depth of how Princess Luna can relate to Sweetie Belle. There was also some rather intricate back story. Just an all-around brilliant episode. 

• Brohoof 1

This episode was good I liked the overall style of the episode despite it not being so original with it's story and this episode really made me feel embaraced to watch it. 7/10

I found the episode quite scary but fantastic as well. Great to see the writers pushing the boundaries on trying a few different things and make it more than just a kids TV show. The Rarity going crazy in the dream part made me laugh a lot.  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I love that they did a Sweetie Belle episode. It gave a detailed look into her world and the story was good too because it was adventure and I was hoping to see a cutie mark to appear finally. :catface:  :D

I thought this episode was good! I got so mad at SweetieBelle while watching it though......

She was such a bad sister, but I can't say I don't relate... long story short, being a younger sibling sucks! :o   :angry:  :(  

anyways,

team Lyra  :wub: 

I got mad at sweetie belle too when she acted like that and tried to wreck Rarity's head piece she made.