S04:E19 - For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils  

263 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

While I'll agree that SB has always felt outshined by her amazing older sister, comparing their behavior in this episode to their behavior in Sisterhooves Social is ENTIRELY inaccurate.

In Sisterhooves Social, it was a back and forth force created by Rarity yelling at Sweetie Belle a few times; the tension, and the anger, was less petty and more mutual.

In this episode, however, Sweetie Belle was the only one in the wrong. Rarity worked hard to make those dresses look the best they could for Sweetie Belle's play, so much that it put her career and her designs for a top-tier celebrity clientele on hold, JUST so she could make a few dresses for her sister's play.

When Sweetie Belle came in there and screamed and threw a fit about how Rarity's outfits stole the show, Rarity didn't yell back, and she seemed to feel a bit bad for it. She wanted to talk things over with Sweetie Belle, but SB was far too mad to do so.

That's when SB deliberately sabotaged Rarity's dress, which could've turned her into a laughing stock and effectively ended her career.

Worst part is, it showed at the beginning of the episode that Sweetie Belle was entirely aware of who Rare's client was and how make or break this was for her career, but she did it anyway.

In Sisterhooves Social, they were both in the wrong, more so Rarity, but she felt remorse and made up for it.

In this episode, Sweetie Belle was the only one in the wrong, but she felt remorse and made up for it just as much as she messed up for it.

These two episodes are not alike in the slightest past sibling bickering.

That sibling bickery was kinda the point where I was heading at, not a direct comparison between the two shows.

My appoligies for not making myself clear

I do believe best episode of Season 4 for me so far, and that is saying something since this season has had a lot of good episodes. Naturally any episode with Luna is gonna rock, but Rarity has really grown on me this season. Plus the moral for this story was perfect to bring Luna in for.

• Brohoof 1

My personal Season 4 enjoyment scoreboard so far (in no particular order for each category):

LOVED IT!:

Pinkie Pride

Maud Pie

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

Bats!

Pinkie Apple Pie

Twilight Time

Filli Vanilli

Rarity Takes Manehattan

Flight to the Finish

LIKED IT!:

Simple Ways

Daring Don't

Castle Mane-ia

Three's a Crowd

Princess Twilight Sparkle

It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

Somepony to Watch Over Me (Borderline MEH)

MEH:

Power Ponies

DISLIKED IT!:

Rainbow Falls

While I'll agree that SB has always felt outshined by her amazing older sister, comparing their behavior in this episode to their behavior in Sisterhooves Social is ENTIRELY inaccurate.

In Sisterhooves Social, it was a back and forth force created by Rarity yelling at Sweetie Belle a few times; the tension, and the anger, was less petty and more mutual. 

In this episode, however, Sweetie Belle was the only one in the wrong. Rarity worked hard to make those dresses look the best they could for Sweetie Belle's play, so much that it put her career and her designs for a top-tier celebrity clientele on hold, JUST so she could make a few dresses for her sister's play. 

When Sweetie Belle came in there and screamed and threw a fit about how Rarity's outfits stole the show, Rarity didn't yell back, and she seemed to feel a bit bad for it. She wanted to talk things over with Sweetie Belle, but SB was far too mad to do so.

That's when SB deliberately sabotaged Rarity's dress, which could've turned her into a laughing stock and effectively ended her career. 

Worst part is, it showed at the beginning of the episode that Sweetie Belle was entirely aware of who Rare's client was and how make or break this was for her career, but she did it anyway.

In Sisterhooves Social, they were both in the wrong, more so Rarity, but she felt remorse and made up for it.

In this episode, Sweetie Belle was the only one in the wrong, but she felt remorse and made up for it just as much as she messed up for it.

These two episodes are not alike in the slightest past sibling bickering.

Rarity's in the wrong, too. While she was generous enough to work on her sisters' outfits before the clients, and put her reputation at rish by pushing the deadline she was already under from Sapphire- it's rarity's fault for upstaging Sweetie Belle and not listening to what Sweetie asked her to do, in the first place. Sweetie didn't ask rarity to redesign the dresses, she simply asked for expertise, and for Rarity to sew on a few buttons, which Rarity didn't do. She took remaking the entire outfit into her own hooves with no consideration to the hard work Sweetie put into making the outfits herself, as she did the rest of the play. Sweetie won't learn to improve her talent on her own if Rarity's just going to come in and throw Sweetie's hard work out the window and put her own spin on her work and take all the credit for it.

full analysis of today's episode here: http://discipleofthedark.weebly.com/2/post/2014/03/mlp-fim-analysis-for-whom-the-sweetie-bell-toils.html

It seems like they might make this a trend, Luna coming to the CMC's in their dreams, offering advice. I like that  idea, it gives Luna  more depth. But I don't want them to make it her permanent role. I'd like more Luna based episodes. Hell, I'd love Luna only episodes. But I really liked her in this one, because she can relate so well to Sweetie Belle.

Now that you mention it, Twilight said in her hot minute:

• Her favorite food is nachos.
  • She can't get enough of the adventures of Star Swirl the Bearded.
  • She always wanted to know how Celestia and Luna were as fillies.

Twilight Time referenced her favorite food and the current arc of the comics is exploring Star Swirl.  I think it's safe to say that last one is going to be explored.

My personal Season 4 enjoyment scoreboard so far (in no particular order for each category):

LOVED IT!:

Pinkie Pride

Maud Pie

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

Bats!

Pinkie Apple Pie

Twilight Time

Filli Vanilli

Rarity Takes Manehattan

Flight to the Finish

LIKED IT!:

Simple Ways

Daring Don't

Castle Mane-ia

Three's a Crowd

Princess Twilight Sparkle

It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

Somepony to Watch Over Me (Borderline MEH)

MEH:

Power Ponies

DISLIKED IT!:

Rainbow Falls

Wow is that how many episodes we've had this season? Time sure flies  :lol:

Now that I look at all of these, we've had a really great season.

Rarity's in the wrong, too. While she was generous enough to work on her sisters' outfits before the clients, and put her reputation at rish by pushing the deadline she was already under from Sapphire- it's rarity's fault for upstaging Sweetie Belle and not listening to what Sweetie asked her to do, in the first place. Sweetie didn't ask rarity to redesign the dresses, she simply asked for expertise, and for Rarity to sew on a few buttons, which Rarity didn't do. She took remaking the entire outfit into her own hooves with no consideration to the hard work Sweetie put into making the outfits herself, as she did the rest of the play. Sweetie won't learn to improve her talent on her own if Rarity's just going to come in and throw Sweetie's hard work out the window and put her own spin on her work and take all the credit for it.

full analysis of today's episode here: http://discipleofthedark.weebly.com/2/post/2014/03/mlp-fim-analysis-for-whom-the-sweetie-bell-toils.html

So...by this line of logic...

Rarity's in the wrong for putting forth extra effort and put off a celebrity client's career changing order just so she could make her sister's dresses look great for the play?

Besides, Rarity had no intention of upstaging Sweetie Belle, that was made abundantly clear throughout the episode, given you did watch it :D

Thanks for the giggle, though, mate.

• Brohoof 5

Wow is that how many episodes we've had this season? Time sure flies  :lol:

Now that I look at all of these, we've had a really great season.

I know it doesn't feel like week 18, but it is. 

This is currently my favorite season, but I'm not a super-critical person. I went into this season expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. I have to say that, in my opinion, it turned out to be the latter.

Rarity's in the wrong for putting forth extra effort and put off a celebrity client's career changing order just so she could make her sister's dresses look great for the play?

Besides, Rarity had no intention of upstaging Sweetie Belle, that was made abundantly clear throughout the episode, given you did watch it :D

Yea, I'm with you on this one Ghostie. Sweetie Belle was only in the wrong here, and I generally try to see both sides. Truth is Rarity was innocent this episode, but Sweetie's apparent inferiority complex got to her. Sweetie's behavior struck me on a personal level, so I adore this episode's oddly realistic, yet surreal interpretation of the conflict.

• Brohoof 1

Luna confirmed for pony NSA. She watches you sleep, monitors your dreams, and makes sure you don't dream against the royal Equstrian rule!

No, no, Luna's part of something much bigger than the Equestria NSA. The mind controlling Sweetie Belle through generated images, the all seeing eye of Horus on Rarity's headdress? Luna's powers far beyond dreamwalking; her "all seeing" ability that allows her to access ponie's past memories? Luna's clearly in league with the Illhoovinati.

No, no, Luna's part of something much bigger than the Equestria NSA. The mind controlling Sweetie Belle through generated images, the all seeing eye of Horus on Rarity's headdress? Luna's powers far beyond dreamwalking; her "all seeing" ability that allows her to access ponie's past memories? Luna's clearly in league with the Illhoovinati.

They change your dreams. Boiling you down to your basest level, and throwing your mightiest terrors at you. Watching from their high perch, they wait, and plan. By the time you realize they've influenced you, its to late.

Well, i don't know if sewing on a few buttons would have saved those... things... that Sweetie made there. There was not really a concept to see on those dresses, they looked like a mess. So Rarity had to improvise. She kinda HAD to put her own spin on them, there was no real spin from Sweetie in the first place, they where just rags.

That Sweetie was not there when Rares tried to make those abominations look good did not really help too, she could not ask her what she wanted, so Rarity just did what she thought would look good.

• Brohoof 1

This episode kinda hit me in the feels.

It was nice to see that Rarity cared for her by trying to let her friends stay, it really shows how much love she has for her sister, Sweetie Belle.

The Rarity going crazy section of the dream kinda sorta made me uncomfortable, but in a good kind of way. (I don't really know how to explain it.)

Princess Luna is probably the best pony who brings other ponies closer together. She was able to do it with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, so why not Applebloom next? There must be a lesson to learn between AJ and AB. Let's see it happen DHX!

This is another favorite of mine so far! Good job DHX Media!

Also, has Sweetie Belle's voice gone through puberty or sumtin'? It sounds different.

This episode gets...

DENOUTTADEN! (10/10)

Game Grumps reference. lol

I watched the episode twice, thank you. Rarity's NOT in the wrong for putting her sister before her client, but she IS in the wrong for completely changing Sweetie's dresses, what that wasn't what was asked of her, to begin with. She completely tossed out and thought nothing of the hard work and effort sweetie put into making those dresses herself, which was what Sweetie Belle wanted to be acknolwledged in the first place- from rarity, and from the audience, which is why she did what she did to Rarity's dress. I suggest that you read my analysis in full to better understand my thoughts on this episode and in what ways it fell short.

http://discipleofthedark.weebly.com/2/post/2014/03/mlp-fim-analysis-for-whom-the-sweetie-bell-toils.html

I watched the episode twice, thank you. Rarity's NOT in the wrong for putting her sister before her client, but she IS in the wrong for completely changing Sweetie's dresses, what that wasn't what was asked of her, to begin with. She completely tossed out and thought nothing of the hard work and effort sweetie put into making those dresses herself, which was what Sweetie Belle wanted to be acknolwledged in the first place- from rarity, and from the audience, which is why she did what she did to Rarity's dress. I suggest that you read my analysis in full to better understand my thoughts on this episode and in what ways it fell short.

http://discipleofthedark.weebly.com/2/post/2014/03/mlp-fim-analysis-for-whom-the-sweetie-bell-toils.html

Listen, bud, she was only trying to help out her sister the best way she could, and, let's face it; those dresses SB made sucked and would've been laughed at on stage; surely Rarity was well-aware of that.

They were awful.

She took the time out of her busy life to help her sister's outfits sparkle and dazzle in the spotlight, only to have her sister become jealous and put Rarity's whole career in jeopardy.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to acknowledge extreme nitpicks such as these as respectable opinions, and I feel no further need to take the time out of my day to spend dismantling this argument; furthermore, if you were truly correct, people wouldn't be agreeing with me, which is the exact opposite of your argument, because, let's face it; Rarity did nothing wrong.

Have a nice day, and feel free to get the last word in :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 2

Listen, bud, she was only trying to help out her sister the best way she could, and, let's face it; those dresses SB made sucked and would've been laughed at on stage; surely Rarity was well-aware of that.

They were awful.

She took the time out of her busy life to help her sister's outfits sparkle and dazzle in the spotlight, only to have her sister become jealous and put Rarity's whole career in jeopardy.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to acknowledge extreme nitpicks such as these as respectable opinions, and I feel no further need to take the time out of my day to spend dismantling this argument; furthermore, if you were truly correct, people wouldn't be agreeing with me, which is the exact opposite of your argument, because, let's face it; Rarity did nothing wrong.

Have a nice day, and feel free to get the last word in :D

So I guess it's perfeclty fine, in that case, for you to have worked hard on something- whether it was bad or not- only to have it stolen by someone else, and transformed into something "better". Didn't we already go through this in "Rarity Take's Manehattan?" Did we learn nothing from it? The designs weren't Rarity's right to change. Bottom line. At this point, she'd be no better than Suri.

This episode was fantastic, though i still prefer Sisterhooves Social, this was FANTASTIC!!! Luna was back in one of her best roles yet!

Sweetie was extremely relatable in this episode, the dreams were interesting, Rarity was great too, it was funny, it was Fantastic I can't stop saying that!

Very good episode. My only complaint was Sweetie Belle going so far as to ruin Rarity's headdress seemed out of character and inconsistent with her past behavior, especially given that Rarity hadn't really done anything wrong, but it was sort of necessary for the plot. As a huge Sweetie Belle fan that really bothered me, but she definitely redeemed herself in the end and it was a great episode overall. :D

Oh yeah, and Luna once again proved why she is best princess. :comeatus:

Nah, it was perfectly in character for Sweetie Belle we've seen her over-romantasize a situation before, and let's not forget her "brilliant ideas", and we've also seen her emotions take her to extremes(the excessive crying and temper)

• Brohoof 1

This episode was just... okay in my opinion.

I thought the episode was going to be a bit boring, to be honest.

I think Princess Luna really made this episode shine.

I can only imagine how many Luna fans went crazy when they saw her!

Then again, I feel like that's the only reason why this episode makes certain brony's "best of list".

I personally like Princess Celestia better than Princess Luna, but Princess Luna has cooler powers.

I really liked when Luna mentions how she feels Celestia outshines her a lot. For some reason, I just loved that line.

I noticed that this is the 2nd time Luna has come into someone's dream.

I think there is a trend to this! I think AppleBloom will see Luna in her dream, too.

When SweetieBell asks if what she's seeing is a dream and Luna replies with "What do you think?"

I was like "Jeeze. Sarcastic much?"

Edited by Samurott77

Luna in it. LUNA IS IN THIS EPISODE GOING INTO NIGHTMARES AGAIN and Sweetie Bell was there too. Also am I the only one noticing a pattern

Nope, Applebloom nightmare next season, I think Luna's gonna be really involved with the CMC's destinies/them getting their cutie marks(more so than now), you so ow me a cookie if I called that  ;)

Edited by JayStorm
  • Brohoof 1

So I guess it's perfeclty fine, in that case, for you to have worked hard on something- whether it was bad or not- only to have it stolen by someone else, and transformed into something "better". Didn't we already go through this in "Rarity Take's Manehattan?" Did we learn nothing from it? The designs weren't Rarity's right to change. Bottom line. At this point, she'd be no better than Suri.

Hmpf... I feel ignored...

There was no design to change, the first dresses where a mess. What should Rarity have done? Just make the seams nicer and call it a day? They would still have been awful. What about that rediculous long sleeve on that one dress? Don't change that too because it was part of Sweeties "design"? And if she should change that sleeve, why not the rest? Where do you draw the line?

Sweetie asked for Rares expertise and then left, what should she have done? She just did not want that Sweetie embarasses herself in front of the audience, and she would have, even with nicer seams.

And Rarity did not ask Suri to "improve" her designs, but Sweetie did ask Rarity in this episode.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, Applebloom nightmare next season, I think Luna's gonna be really involved with the CMC's destinies/them getting their cutie marks(more so than now)

And after Applebloom sees Luna in her dreams Babs is probably next